Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Phantasium posted:

Wonder if they got cold feet after MN9's reception?

I'd be super amused if its this reason, then when bloodstained comes out it does well critically (even if I don't expect high sales for it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Maybe IGA just didn't want to make anime fans cry on prom night if Deep Silver did the marketing.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I mean unless they're hoping to make $5.5 million+ from sales of the game after launch isn't Bloodstained basically already a commercial success? :v:

Black Mage Knight posted:

The latest Bloodstained update has some of the games music.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/iga/bloodstained-ritual-of-the-night/posts/1686739

Listen to this Castlevania-rear end music.

This is perfect. I was pretty lukewarm on the main theme when I first heard it, but the rest is awesome.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Cuntellectual posted:

I mean unless they're hoping to make $5.5 million+ from sales of the game after launch isn't Bloodstained basically already a commercial success? :v:

They had to delay the game into 2018 which obviously impacts their budget.

There's also the risk that they spend all their money on the game, it sells modestly and they can't convince anyone to pay for another one, in which case they're back to slumming it on mobile games.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
IGN interviewed IGA: http://au.ign.com/articles/2016/10/05/why-bloodstained-was-delayed-to-2018

-they delayed the game for the usual reasons: tons of stretch content, maintaining the level of quality seen in the demo takes a lot of time and they didn't want to reduce the quality in order to hit their initial deadline

-on the future of the Wii U/Vita versions: they're naturally more interested in working on newer hardware but they're not going to cancel anything without consulting their backers

-on the possibility of PSP Pro enhancements: making true 4K assets isn't feasible and they haven't tried any upscaling methods so they don't know whether it'll look any good or not. IGA seems interested in the possibility of 120FPS.

They also asked about the workload split between IGA's company and Inti Creates and how that factors into the visual quality of the game:

quote:

Bloodstained originally started as a collaboration between Igarashi’s company, Artplay, and developer Inti Creates, the company behind Azure Striker Gunvolt and the ill-fated Mighty No. 9, which released a few months ago to awful reviews. We asked Iga if some of his issues with Bloodstained’s quality falls on Inti Creates. Prior to the interview, Iga showed IGN a section from the opening area of his new game, and he references it in his answer.

“If you look at what you saw here, that's some of Inti, and some of us. But if you looked at the demo that out at E3 that everybody liked, that was Inti's quality bar that they put forward and made. They are able to come out with high quality,” Iga explained. “However, to your point, one of the issues is that their style of building on a game, while it does tend to come up with high quality when they spend the time on it, they don't necessarily have the true understanding of how to procedurally use the best tools in Unreal. Without being able to use those, you can't create the game in the most efficient manner that you need to.”

“While we were working together to make sure it had everything in it, it was quite clear that we needed to bring in another team that is able to take that procedural know-how to be able to take something, copy it, use some random generation to populate an area in a more computer-driven way rather than people doing it all by hand,” he said. “Without doing that, just the sheer size of what we're trying to create would never be done on time. So bringing in someone to help like that is definitely necessary to make sure that we're going to make the game at the right quality, but also hitting this new timeline.”

Iga acknowledged that once a new studio comes on board, Inti Creates role in making Bloodstained will be reduced because they aren’t making the procedural pieces of the game. We asked IGA why procedural generation using Unreal to create the backdrops of Bloodstained was so important to him. “Yeah, we’re trying to be modern, and if there's an official way to do something better than you should probably do it,” Iga explained. “Just thinking about the sheer size of what this game is, trying to go in and do everything by hand would obviously create - it would be beautiful, but it would create lots of delays and things like that.”

“Finding the right balance between using some technology to help you but also still making sure you're also controlling the art side of it, that's sort of what we, through our studying and evaluations, come to realize. We need to do that to get to the goal.” Iga told IGN a new development partner hadn't been selected at the time of this interview. He and the team had limited the decision to a few options and were very close.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

IGN are also loving stupid, it was Comcept who did most of the work on Mighty No. 9, not Inti Creates. All Inti did was help out on the coding side of things for that game, but the poo poo level, constant delays, lack of communication to backers and game design that managed to be worse than Mega Man 2 all fall on Comcept. Saying Inti were "behind" Mighty No. 9 is false.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Inti Creates also has an excellent track record for games they had more responsibilities with.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Comcept is primarily a production company and while they definitely made the bulk of the creative decisions, Inti was still pitching in creatively; it wasn't really a contract gig in that sense. That being said, the issues that plagued MN9 had more to do with project management than anything else and that's all on Comcept.

There's also the fact that Inti's never been especially good at 3D visuals and a lot of people were genuinely surprised by Bloodstained's graphics, so it's fair to want to understand their process (which, evidently, is just "labour over things for a long time").

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

So in the absence of new Castlevania games I decided to catch up on Metroid. I beat the gba games and even the metroid 2 remake so I'm done with the 2d games. What about prime series? Did they translate well into 3D or was it somewhat janky like the 3D Castlevanias? I enjoyed the 3D Castlevanias because I'm a fan but just curious if you guys think Metroid handled it better.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The Prime games are all well worth playing. Skip Other M.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
The atmosphere and sense of exploration translated well to 3D but the Prime games feel a bit slower than the 2D games in terms of moment. Samus isn't as snappy as she was in the sidescrollers.

That's kind of the one thing I can give Other M despite all of its myriad problems. The movement was nice and zippy.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Social Animal posted:

just curious if you guys think Metroid handled it better.

Metroid handled the shift to 3D better than most franchises, including Mario. Yeah, Prime's pretty good.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Prime 1 is the second best game of all time.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Sakurazuka posted:

I liked Prime 2 better.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I feel weird because I feel like the only person who doesn't care for the Prime games. I tried to get into them time and time again but they just never clicked with me, I think I'm just too used to 2D metroidvanias to get into the first person style.

I mean, I couldn't get into Lords of Shadow either but I don't think that's nearly as beloved.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Lords of Shadow is the dogshit on the bottom of Metroid Prime's boots.

I think Other M was more fun to play in retrospect.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Sakurazuka posted:

All the Prime games are really good. Prime 3 has two of my favorite areas in the series: The steampunk Sky castle in the clouds and the (late game spoiler)Pirate homeworld. Ghost ship is pretty cool too.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

-on the future of the Wii U/Vita versions: they're naturally more interested in working on newer hardware but they're not going to cancel anything without consulting their backers

Uh oh. I hope they have the sense to just offer refunds or a different platform voucher rather than bang their heads too hard on this one.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Arbite posted:

Uh oh. I hope they have the sense to just offer refunds or a different platform voucher rather than bang their heads too hard on this one.

But I want my VITA version!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

MonsieurChoc posted:

But I want my VITA version!

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I was cautiously optimistic about Bloodstained but those updates have moved me to concerned:

quote:

maintaining the level of quality seen in the demo takes a lot of time and they didn't want to reduce the quality in order to hit their initial deadline

The demo was all right, but it was nothing to write home about. I thought it was a little rough around the edges. And now they're implying that it's the gold standard they're currently unable to consistently hit.

quote:

but they're not going to cancel anything without consulting their backers

Cognizantly or not, they're testing the waters for the ability to break promises. That's not an enticing precedent.

quote:

take something, copy it, use some random generation to populate an area in a more computer-driven way rather than people doing it all by hand

This one makes me groan. Procedural generation increases replayability at the cost of interest. Part of what created the awesome feel of all the previous games was that everything was deliberately placed, arranged, and orchestrated.

quote:

we’re trying to be modern [...] trying to go in and do everything by hand would obviously create - it would be beautiful, but it would create lots of delays and things like that

I can't be the only one who pines for the old art style, which was detailed and distinctive and deliberately old-fashioned, just like the setting of most of the games. But it seems corners must be cut.

quote:

Iga told IGN a new development partner hadn't been selected at the time of this interview

So they're still working out the fundamentals. How far into the project?

quote:

they delayed the game for the usual reasons: tons of stretch content

This is more an indictment of stretch goals in general, but they are detrimental by definition. If they're actually stretch goals, then they weren't part of the original design and will need to be added after-the-fact. If they are well integrated into the design, then they've come up with something which is good for the health of the game as a whole but are holding it hostage for additional money. It's unfortunate that the success of a Kickstarter project is often related to how many fan-pandering stretch goals can be dangled out there, instead of how tight a core product they can conceive of.

I guess if you want something done right, you've gotta do it yourself...

https://vimeo.com/184962484

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Hammer Bro. posted:

I was cautiously optimistic about Bloodstained but those updates have moved me to concerned:

The demo was all right, but it was nothing to write home about. I thought it was a little rough around the edges. And now they're implying that it's the gold standard they're currently unable to consistently hit.

Cognizantly or not, they're testing the waters for the ability to break promises. That's not an enticing precedent.

This one makes me groan. Procedural generation increases replayability at the cost of interest. Part of what created the awesome feel of all the previous games was that everything was deliberately placed, arranged, and orchestrated.

I can't be the only one who pines for the old art style, which was detailed and distinctive and deliberately old-fashioned, just like the setting of most of the games. But it seems corners must be cut.

This is more an indictment of stretch goals in general, but they are detrimental by definition. If they're actually stretch goals, then they weren't part of the original design and will need to be added after-the-fact. If they are well integrated into the design, then they've come up with something which is good for the health of the game as a whole but are holding it hostage for additional money. It's unfortunate that the success of a Kickstarter project is often related to how many fan-pandering stretch goals can be dangled out there, instead of how tight a core product they can conceive of.

I want this post framed.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Hey I'm concuring with that guy who said metroid prime is one of the best games of all time

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Hammer Bro. posted:

idgi

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
As long as it doesn't set my house on fire and kill my dog I'm probably going to enjoy Bloodstained, even if it doesn't match my imaginary expectations of what it should be. I guess I'm the problem.

But instead of worrying about it, I'm just gonna play Harmony of Dissonance for October. It's interesting, it's probably the game that hewed closest to what the fans said they wanted (more SotN!) and it's lesser for it. Never listen to what fans say they want. Meanwhile, Juste's forward and backward dashes make him a lot of fun to play, and he gets a Fist subweapon where he yells ORAORAORA. Juste is a good Belmont.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I knew about the not-DIO boss, and the fist subweapon, but some of the best bits of finally getting into JoJo sometime last year was getting to see how eager IGA was to fanboy about that poo poo.

I knew about how the Sky Fish in Aria was supposed to be that debunked "Rod" cryptid, but I didn't realize it was also a god damned JoJo reference.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I assume the randomized castle feature in bloodstained will probably not be half as cool as I expect it to be

But I can't help being really excited for it

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I feel weird because I feel like the only person who doesn't care for the Prime games. I tried to get into them time and time again but they just never clicked with me, I think I'm just too used to 2D metroidvanias to get into the first person style.

I mean, I couldn't get into Lords of Shadow either but I don't think that's nearly as beloved.

I think I feel you on this. Past couple days I tried really hard to like Prime but the controls and pacing are just killing it for me. Maybe if it had regular fps controls I'd be all over it but it's clunky as hell. I love the 2d games though so it sucks I feel left out on the Prime series.

Is metroid other m worth trying out or will I be turned off as well?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I dunno how prime is on the console it was originally released on, but with the wiimote it's great and I don't think I could play it on any other control scheme

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Other M is probably one of the worst games with Nintendo stamped on the box and lacks anything that made earlier Metroid games fun.

Which version of Prime were you playing? The Wii Trilogy collection has much improved pointer controls.
Prime wouldn't have worked with traditional console FPS controls because it's too reliant on jumping manoeuvrability.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Social Animal posted:

I think I feel you on this. Past couple days I tried really hard to like Prime but the controls and pacing are just killing it for me. Maybe if it had regular fps controls I'd be all over it but it's clunky as hell. I love the 2d games though so it sucks I feel left out on the Prime series.

Prime is super good IF you aren't really accustomed to traditional shooter controls, I think. I love it but none of my friends who are big on shooters could ever really get into it

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Other M is trash.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Think of Prime as a FPS Zelda game with z-targeting.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Social Animal posted:

Imagine Fusion with none of its positive qualities and the flaws taken to 11.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Play Prime Trilogy with a Wiimote, it's basically the definite version.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Phantasium posted:

Other M is trash.

I thought it would be fun to play through the game and laugh at the awful story but unfortunately the gameplay is also trash

It was just so not-fun I stopped playing. Maybe if I actually paid full price at launch and not 5 bucks I would have continued.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Sea Sponge Run posted:

I dunno how prime is on the console it was originally released on, but with the wiimote it's great and I don't think I could play it on any other control scheme

I'm not too familiar with the wii, does the remote make it feel like you are doing mouse look?

This was just GameCube Prime. I bet wii is cheap nowadays I wonder if I should just grab one.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

HenryEx posted:

it's so, so good this way. I still boot it up from time to time. The downside is 1 and 2 feel a bit easier with that control scheme, but it feels good.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

HenryEx posted:

Also if possible play it in Dolphin for max prettyness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Social Animal posted:

I'm not too familiar with the wii, does the remote make it feel like you are doing mouse look?

This was just GameCube Prime. I bet wii is cheap nowadays I wonder if I should just grab one.

There are two sensitivity settings but yeah pretty much