Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pubic void nullo
May 17, 2002

Dorkopotamis posted:

Could someone give me a list of around ten mods that will make this a modern game for me, the modern man?
Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch - mandatory
Crash fixes - mandatory
SkyUI - mandatory
Extended UI - upgrade to the skills screen
moreHUD - shows info about objects by looking at them. Describes enchantments, tells you what class an armor is, how much something weighs/how full your inventory currently is, alchemy effects
Quick Loot - if you've played Fallout 4 you know what this does. Look at a barrel/dresser/sack/chest to see what is in it and loot it directly from a dialog that appears in the corner of your screen
SPERG - makes the perks good. Like, really good. You will actually care about what perks you add to your character.
A Quality World Map and Solstheim Map - does what it says
Campfire - chill out in your tent during a rainstorm
Frostfall - don't stand for 24 hours waist deep in a lake in a blizzard without dying
Apocalypse - about 40 new pretty original spells that won't have you googling "skyrim console remove spell from spellbook"
Alternate Start - Live Another Life - don't suffer through that stupid wagon ride

I am running about 50 mods but after cutting it down, those are the ones that make me not kill my are self. Remove Campfire and Frostfall if you Do Not Care For Such Things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pubic void nullo
May 17, 2002

To add to that, if I understand your question correctly, you're not asking so much for mods that improve the game content as mods that teach it what we have learned from a few years of making games.
So, if that were the case, I would remove Campfire, Frostfall, Quality World map, and Apocalypse, and include some further UI upgrades.

Better Dialogue Controls
Better Messagebox Controls

They, uh, do what it says on the box.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Dorkopotamis posted:

Also, as a PC user, would there be any point to waiting for the remastered version before beginning a new playthrough? Will the changes effect the PC version so greatly?

Expanded memory usage is the biggest thing if you're a Win10 user, and want to use a lot of graphical mods.

Hell, if the remaster is really good, we may not have to even install graphics mods! :shepicide:

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Thanks dude! Exactly what I was looking for.

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."
I know as soon as I figure this out I'm going to feel like a massive dumbass, BUT. I configured through MO to hide the tutorial messages (since they get super annoying while testing) but they keep showing up. I confirmed that the MO profile's Skyrim.ini file contains

code:
bShowTutorials = 0
in the Interface section. For good measure, I added it to the same file in my local user profile on my OS drive. They're still giving me grief. What am I missing?

EDIT: Found the culprit: SkyTweak. I tried removing the 'Show Tutorials' setting from the INI section of the MCM, and saving to FISS. Looks like that won't work for new games (which is how I'm testing incremental adds of mods to make sure things work before I commit to a new playthrough). Considering how lightweight SkyTweaks is, I may just leave it disabled for now as I test, and re-enable it and untick that pesky box once I'm ready. Unless anybody else has a better idea...

BlueInkAlchemist fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 5, 2016

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Dorkopotamis posted:

Also, as a PC user, would there be any point to waiting for the remastered version before beginning a new playthrough? Will the changes effect the PC version so greatly?

Well, it will depend on your situation, but Skyrim running in DX9 has some potential CPU bottle necks, so even where we're talking about strictly vanilla Skyrim there could still be those odd instances where you get huge frame drops. They're pretty few and far between, especially if you're on a 4ghz+ CPU, but if you're like me and running on an AMD CPU it's pretty much the single deciding factor.

In the long term, the remaster being on DX11 might otherwise make modding less sketchy, if only by virtue of better memory management, but things like object/geometry instancing may afford modders more overhead to decorate without crushing end users. Simple things like vanilla skyrim grass (if instanced in the code) should by default require less overhead. Anything that in vanilla that is fundamentally less resource intensive is more overhead available to modders, and you as the end user installing all of it.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Agents are GO! posted:

Goon KM2 posted this image in the Enderal thread, and I think you should make it the title image of this thread, Gunner:

Gotta concur with Cat Matterss that animation is critical here.

Also I have not forgotten about this thread but this semester is super busy! I managed to complete the OP in a lull between a summer class and the beginning of fall classes so right now my attention is a little divided. I know that there have been some suggested changes/corrections for the OP but I lost track of them all and will have to comb through the thread.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Dorkopotamis posted:

The biggest complication is that the remastered version will need a new Skyrim Script Extender created for it, and god only knows how long that will take or if it will even happen (though I think it probably will). So any SKSE-dependent mods (i.e. most of them) won't work for a while, if ever.

So if you wait, you'll be waiting a while.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

docbeard posted:

The biggest complication is that the remastered version will need a new Skyrim Script Extender created for it, and god only knows how long that will take or if it will even happen (though I think it probably will). So any SKSE-dependent mods (i.e. most of them) won't work for a while, if ever.

So if you wait, you'll be waiting a while.

This is actually a really good point. I had forgotten how much stuff often depends on SKSE, and until it gets updated, a lot of things are just going to be dead in the water - SkyUI basically being at the top of the list.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
There's also a good chance that a lot of mods will have to be remade - or at the least resaved - in an updated Creation Kit.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

Kiggles posted:

This is actually a really good point. I had forgotten how much stuff often depends on SKSE, and until it gets updated, a lot of things are just going to be dead in the water - SkyUI basically being at the top of the list.

The SKSE team was pretty rapid about releasing new versions when Skyrim was being updated. I only have Fallout 4 on console, but I'm guessing the same applies there.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

prometheusbound2 posted:

The SKSE team was pretty rapid about releasing new versions when Skyrim was being updated. I only have Fallout 4 on console, but I'm guessing the same applies there.
From what we've seen so far, the Special Edition looks like it's going to be basically Skyrim's assets in FO4's iteration of the Creation Engine. That means that the Script Extender team can't just grab SKSE and update it for a new patch version. It'll be have to be largely remade from scratch in order to work with the new engine.
And before you bring up F4SE: They'll likely be able to reuse the work they did on F4SE. But F4SE is still in it's infancy. It's nowhere near to having the features SKSE has.

Naturally this is all guesswork as we don't have any real details yet, but I wouldn't expect a quick & smooth transition from Skyrim to Skyrim:SE.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
so are there any good crash fixes for the CK? the CK likes to crash for me about ten times as often as Skyrim does.

Dorkopotamis posted:

Thanks dude! Exactly what I was looking for.

Skyrim Unbound is an alternative to Live Another Life; but you should have one or the other. I'm a big fan of SMIM + NSM, which is the Skyrim Mesh Improvement Mod and Noble Skyrim textures, if you want a one-two stop to making it look generally better without bullshit. (There's an SMIM-NSM compatibility patch, also)

other than that, yeah, that's about a ten mod list. I don't do Campfire/Frostfall but :shrug:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I've been using Skyrim Unbound myself, primarily because it seemed like a simpler more straightforward deal (Though I've always ended up just toggling Dragon appearances from "Delayed" to "Enabled" after realizing I still haven't seen any).

I'm sure Live Another Life is great, I just wanted an Alt start that just did it's job of a quick start. Unbound's toggle option for "Fine, you don't need souls for shouts" was also a nice toy to get me actually using all the shots I ignore forever otherwise even when I've got 60 souls.

I may try Live Another Life later, for some of it's shortcut options like "You already own a fully tricked out house in a city/Hearhfire home" or immediate Guild access. Not so much the "You are a Necromancer in Blackreach, we've put a Dwemer Sphere right outside your house waiting to kill you. Because... uh... It's just there"

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib

pubic void nullo posted:

Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch - mandatory
Crash fixes - mandatory
SkyUI - mandatory
Extended UI - upgrade to the skills screen
moreHUD - shows info about objects by looking at them. Describes enchantments, tells you what class an armor is, how much something weighs/how full your inventory currently is, alchemy effects
Quick Loot - if you've played Fallout 4 you know what this does. Look at a barrel/dresser/sack/chest to see what is in it and loot it directly from a dialog that appears in the corner of your screen
SPERG - makes the perks good. Like, really good. You will actually care about what perks you add to your character.
A Quality World Map and Solstheim Map - does what it says
Campfire - chill out in your tent during a rainstorm
Frostfall - don't stand for 24 hours waist deep in a lake in a blizzard without dying
Apocalypse - about 40 new pretty original spells that won't have you googling "skyrim console remove spell from spellbook"
Alternate Start - Live Another Life - don't suffer through that stupid wagon ride

I am running about 50 mods but after cutting it down, those are the ones that make me not kill my are self. Remove Campfire and Frostfall if you Do Not Care For Such Things.

And these mods all work with vanilla skyrim (no DLC)?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

davey4283 posted:

And these mods all work with vanilla skyrim (no DLC)?

You need to get the Unofficial Skyrim Patch then. It's no longer being maintained as most people will have all the DLC.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
Thanks. I considered getting the dlc but I usually like to give the game a shot beforehand to see if I'll enjoy it.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Just get all the DLC on a Steam sale or some poo poo.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

davey4283 posted:

Thanks. I considered getting the dlc but I usually like to give the game a shot beforehand to see if I'll enjoy it.

The Goddamn OP posted:

7. Not a rule, but seriously, buy the loving DLC already. Legendary Edition was around $10 last Steam sale. Most of the best mods, and the Unofficial Patch, require the DLC now. I'm not even going to mention when a mod requires the DLC, because it shouldn't be an issue. Just loving buy it, and don't whine to us if you don't want to buy it.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
Yea, I read the OP. I still don't buy dlc until I know I'll like it.

I've bought dlc packs right off the bat before and ended up not liking the game. Then it's even more of a waste of money.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Steam allows refunds, you know.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I mean he has a point. I've played Skyrim quite a bit but I never even got to the point where a DLC started. Since this is the modding thread I'm willing to bet I'm not alone.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

if you haven't reached level 9 in a standard leveling pace playthrough, wowie that's some dedicated restarting action

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

scamtank posted:

if you haven't reached level 9 in a standard leveling pace playthrough, wowie that's some dedicated restarting action

:smith: Last timed I played Skyrim I put too many difficulty mods on and got absolutely stomped by the zombie wizard at the end of the quest that gets you the very first dragon shout. In the end I couldn't shake the feeling that I'd rather be playing New Vegas so I just played that instead.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 7, 2016

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I mean he has a point. I've played Skyrim quite a bit but I never even got to the point where a DLC started. Since this is the modding thread I'm willing to bet I'm not alone.

Since this is the modding thread, you might notice the mention that a lot of mods use DLC content and thus require the DLC. That is the primary reason the OP advises getting them.

pubic void nullo
May 17, 2002

To those arguments I would also add that everyone who owns Skyrim+all DLC on Steam will receive the remastered Skyrim Special Edition for free when it drops in 3 weeks.

In other news, the size of the special edition has been revealed to be over 22GB on Xbox (link). That is a lot of texture. The game is reported to be compatible enough that saves will transfer, which is promising for modders' ease of transition.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

pubic void nullo posted:

To those arguments I would also add that everyone who owns Skyrim+all DLC on Steam will receive the remastered Skyrim Special Edition for free when it drops in 3 weeks.
The Legendary Edition seems to have disappeared from the Steam store. Bethesda probably didn't people buying it the day before the Special Edition is released.
You probably can still get a Legendary Edition key from resellers.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

IAmTheRad posted:

Steam allows refunds, you know.

The thing is, if you buy the Skyrim DLC and refund it you get to, uh, keep it, because the DLC is just two .esm files and it doesn't delete them. My girlfriend accidentally owns it because she played my Skyrim on Steam Family Share (I have the DLC), then she bought the base game, and it automatically downloaded the DLC to match her save game or .ini or whatever.

So that would be piracy and do not do it, is what I'm saying.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Skyrim Special Edition has gone gold. Also there are system requirements.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

So apparently with 1000 unique DLs, I have been "recognized" as a mod author for my dumb patch (and some SDV stuff I did) and have access to the secret mod only forums now? Sweet, ground floor on the next dramabomb. :v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Is there even anything in that forum?

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Is it still generally considered a good idea to completely restart your PC after a crash, or is that basically an Old Wives Tale of Gamebryo? Would save me quite a bit of time if the latter!

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Cross-Section posted:

Is it still generally considered a good idea to completely restart your PC after a crash, or is that basically an Old Wives Tale of Gamebryo? Would save me quite a bit of time if the latter!
I've never even heard of that one. I guess people took the old Oblivion advice of "restart the game before reloading a save" and somehow warped that into "restart your PC"?
But yeah, there should be no need to restart your PC after the game crashes.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

For maximum stability you need to shut down your PC, toggle your circut breakers, and rebuild your PC every time you have an autosave.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Raygereio posted:

I've never even heard of that one. I guess people took the old Oblivion advice of "restart the game before reloading a save" and somehow warped that into "restart your PC"?
But yeah, there should be no need to restart your PC after the game crashes.

some sort of memory leak that builds up when crashing maybe?

<- computer illiterate here so if that doesn't make sense ... please explain?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Psion posted:

There's a new Mod Picker thread where people are intensely concerned about the connotations of a mod being labelled "Dangerous."

There is a "Stupid user comments" thread which just confirms 100% my dumb suggestion that the experiences mod authors dealing with users and teachers dealing with students are comparable. :v:

Other than that I didn't see much of interest.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

double nine posted:

some sort of memory leak that builds up when crashing maybe?

<- computer illiterate here so if that doesn't make sense ... please explain?

No, not possible. The OS keeps track of all the memory allocated by an application and forcefully frees all of it when the application stops running, be it through a crash or through normal exit.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Psion posted:

OK, so I looked around and there are actually two items of interest to me.

One, a thread about Bethesda's poll asking mod authors about their preferences re: comments on mod pages. Thread consensus seems in line with how that turned out: https://community.bethesda.net/polls/2150

The other is from someone suggesting the Civfanatics mod etiquette guidelines for adoption on the Nexus. These guidelines establish a semi-cathedral-type system. Naive, but a legit topic of discussion. Also a great magnet for some pretentious bullshit grandstanding.

quote:

This so-called Cathedral view on modding principles, everything is given away for free and only credits are required when re-used by another, may sound fine "in theory", I'm actually mostly following the same ideal with releases of mine, but the public I'm sharing with, and most of all the supporters of and speakers for the Cathedral idea, have time and again proven unworthy of a system such as this.

The other side, the Parlor view, everything belongs to he who created it and permission must always be gained, although everything is still given away for free, it's still not "surrendered" completely to a generally thankless, demanding and unworthy public due to this, seems, albeit it's the more restrictive, to be way more liberal and tolerant in its ideals than especially the advocators of the Cathedral view.

Those, on the other hand, are most times very vocal about the perceived superiority of their ideal, and no one's attacking the other one's concepts as viciously as the Cathedral supporters. The Parlors couldn't care less, what others do with their work is their business and nobody else's at all, but the Cathedral advocators can't tolerate that, an inferior in their eyes scheme preferred by others over their's, so they vocally, and sometimes also violently, fight it at all places.

Above proposed "modiquette" has, whether you know it or not, already failed countless times and again. People were not able to follow even these least requirements of respectful treatment of other people's work. My own sharing policy has always from the beginning stated everything is free to use, permission is not required, I don't even necessarily need to be credited, the only thing I asked was not to run around and claim it's their's "and" to inform me of their re-use of my stuff, because in most things I'm the only one able to provide proper support when problems with its usage occur, it's simply beyond grasp for others, and for two I'm living from the ideas and inspiration I get when seeing others use my stuff. And lo and behold, my requirements wishes were still dishonored regardless.

So by now I may still be "applying" the Cathedral view on my own creations myself, but I cannot, with a clean conscious, openly "support" its advocation. I'm with the Parlors in this, for "they", unlike the others, very well do tolerate others to share by Cathedral or not, if they want. So believe it or not, but at the end of the day the Parlors have definitely proven to be the more "liberal" of the views. And I cannot support any other without a sour taste in my mouth all the time and a sad but definite knowledge of how spectacularly it'll fail again inevitably.

This is, like, straight up Creeping Socialism rhetoric applied to goddamn video game mods. Love the breezy "it's failed over and over" assertion about the guidelines used by the Civ 5 modding community, which I guess imploded really early on or something and never produced any good content??

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Cross-Section posted:

It works sometimes if you get a repeated crash at the same place/time. I don't know why either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

The whole cathedral stance is arguably fairly socialist already, so I'd say it's appropriate. :v:

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Oct 11, 2016