Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

straight up brolic posted:

Anything interesting in this new email drop?

Fox News couldn't find anything in 12 boxes full of printed emails and so are reporting that there are supposed to be 14 boxes [citation needed] and the bad stuff is surely in the missing two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
Jeez, what a waste of paper. Hope that poo poo at least gets recycled.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Wildeyes posted:

Jeez, what a waste of paper. Hope that poo poo at least gets recycled.

Recycling is un-American. You're supposed to burn that poo poo to show that global warming is a Chinese hoax.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Stereotype posted:

Like honestly he may have stumbled into political campaigning as an extremely lucrative business. Scare white hick morons about people who are the wrong color to them and tell them he will make them safe and America Great Again for a low low monthly campaign contribution of $25.

The major problem with starting a scam cult for money is that, if you do it long enough, you start to believe what you're saying.

For Trump I expect this happened about three nanoseconds after winning the nomination.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

After the VP debate I was expecting Clinton's polling to drop a little bit, or at least her rising numbers getting blunted. Nope, she's still going up. I know it's just polls and poo poo, but it's still funny.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Jonas Albrecht posted:

After the VP debate I was expecting Clinton's polling to drop a little bit, or at least her rising numbers getting blunted. Nope, she's still going up. I know it's just polls and poo poo, but it's still funny.

Vice Presidential debates virtually never affect polling in a statistically significant way.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I think the problem is that Trump is The Best, that means his prospective voters are The Best Though Not As Best As Trump (The Best wouldn't be get votes from The Worst), which means their opinions are The Best and whatever they espouse is The Best, so his opinions and pronouncements must match.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

lozzle posted:

Vice Presidential debates virtually never affect polling in a statistically significant way.

In addition to nobody caring about the VP debates, most of the polls have timeframes starting at the beginning of the week. So only a portion of the data would be from the day after the VP debate and people had seen it.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

lozzle posted:

Thanks for this, it was a very interesting read.

Savage.

My main takeaway from the article is that New York City real estate is hosed. My secondary takeaway is "gently caress Michael Bloomberg."

YES you picked out my favorite quote from that.

True and true re: NYC real estate and Bloomberg.

Filler's writing on Maya Lin (who designed the Vietnam War Memorial in DC), on the Brazilian Lina Bo Bardi, and on Manhattan's Seagram Building are also fascinating.

/architecture critic chat

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Stereotype posted:

Fox News couldn't find anything in 12 boxes full of printed emails and so are reporting that there are supposed to be 14 boxes [citation needed] and the bad stuff is surely in the missing two.

The one missing box was labeled "I did Benghazi" and the other one was labeled "Deleted Emails, do not publish" so this checks out.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Pence won on paper but Clinton was able to get a bunch of good attack adds of him denying pretty much everything that Trump says, so it ended up a wash.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

boner confessor posted:

this is one reason why it's goofy for younger millenials to clutch pearls about hillary's "superpredator" comments. if you don't remember the late 80's/early 90's violent crime was way worse than now, and one of the theories was that criminals were just, like, extra worse. of course it wasn't true and it was racist and stupid, but basically everyone was buying into the idea at the time. much like brightly colored baggy pants and mc hammer, you had to have been there to really get it

We were all coming down off our satanic day care worker high and needed something to serve as hair of the dog.

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I get knocked down but I get up again You are never going to keep me down
As much as I hate to bring up the idiotic emails topic one thing I don't understand (and am afraid to look up for falling into a right wing media pandora's box) is what exact are the 30,000 missing (deleted?) emails. My uninformed assumption is that they are emails strictly personal and not subject to subpoena or legal discovery but if anyone has a non-crazy news article about it id love to read it

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

MasterSlowPoke posted:

IIRC, those markets in FL that he canceled ads in are ones he's winning, right? Sounds like it's actually a good move. He's still going to be running ads here in Tampa, which is one of the few blue areas holding back the red.

In Florida his cancellations make some sense. Nc cancellations are in purple regions where the blue city is surrounded by red rural areas that are in the same media market. But they aren't super red like Panama city. Odd choices in NC is what I'm saying.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Feldegast42 posted:

Pence won on paper but Clinton was able to get a bunch of good attack adds of him denying pretty much everything that Trump says, so it ended up a wash.

I also think that by having Pence "win" the VP debate (I'd say it was a tie because that debate sucked rear end), the media looks grounded and balanced when they say that Trump hosed up his. And this is a safe situation to do that, because no one cares about the VP debate.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

theflyingorc posted:

that's not how that works

you aren't trying to change minds(mostly) with ads - you're trying to get people who with agree with you to bother to vote

Both sides have enough people who think they're the better candidate to crush the opposition - if Trump got every single person who likes him more than Hillary to vote, he'd beat her by like 30 points

This is why GOTV is so critical - it's efforts to directly get people to bother to vote, which is what you need

Yeah, plus the areas within a state where you're ahead have votes which count just as much as the battleground areas or the areas you're losing. Campaigns sometimes lose sight of this and obsess about the battleground counties though.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

climboutonalimb posted:

As much as I hate to bring up the idiotic emails topic one thing I don't understand (and am afraid to look up for falling into a right wing media pandora's box) is what exact are the 30,000 missing (deleted?) emails. My uninformed assumption is that they are emails strictly personal and not subject to subpoena or legal discovery but if anyone has a non-crazy news article about it id love to read it

Your uninformed assumption is correct.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Well it's official. US confident Russia is being the hacks

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/10/obama-administration-accuses-russian-government-of-election-year-hacking-229296#ixzz4MQiGpc7N

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Serious question, who wants to bet Trump mentions Apu from the Simpsons at that Hindu rally?

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

climboutonalimb posted:

This is correct. The argument against though is that she had her own lawyers determine what was personal and not, as opposed to some 3rd party - so they could have just deleted all the incriminating stuff.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

WeAreTheRomans posted:

It's like when Coca-Cola experimented in reducing their ad budget, figuring they had already reached complete consumer awareness - their market share dropped precipitously and Pepsi made inroads. the subconscious of the consumer needs constant stoking

Do you have any links for this? I'm trying to google it but coming up empty.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

This was always the case. The announcement relates more to what's going on in Aleppo and Mosul than anything in the US

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
All of Clinton's deleted e-mails are her fighting about whether DS9 ripped of Babylon 5.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

climboutonalimb posted:

You're correct. The FBI is in possession of the "deleted" emails. They were recoverable. They haven't been released to the public yet though.

Before it was known that the FBI had them, the accusation was that Clinton's lawyers deleted all of them to cover something up.

Now that it is known that the FBI has them, the accusation is that the FBI is in the tank for Clinton and is releasing them too slowly to protect her.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Pick posted:

All of Clinton's deleted e-mails are her fighting about whether DS9 ripped of Babylon 5.

Was her stance yes or no?

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

You're correct. The FBI is in possession of the "deleted" emails. They were recoverable. They haven't been released to the public yet though.

Before it was known that the FBI had them, the accusation was that Clinton's lawyers deleted all of them to cover something up.

Now that it is known that the FBI has them, the accusation is that the FBI is in the tank for Clinton and is releasing them too slowly to protect her.

The armchair FBI agent-ing that occurs on Reddit regarding Benghazi and the email server is really something to behold.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Pick posted:

No, even worse. They're all about Hillary's MLP fandom dating back to when she watched it with Chelsea in its original run. At least half are about results from online quizzes about which character she is.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

climboutonalimb posted:

In December 2014, Clinton's people separated all her E-mails into a "work related" and "not work related" pile. All the work-related ones were then archived and turned over to the State Department.

After they did this, they told the people running her E-mail server, "alright, you can delete everything on there".

In May (I think it was May) 2015, Hillary was formally under investigation for her private server. When this came out, the company that ran her server said "oh crap, we forgot to delete things", and they deleted all of her E-mails that they had.

It could not be a dumber scandal.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'm reminded of a Mad TV sketch from the 90s where Native Americans bought a bunch of sports teams and renamed them. IIRC one of them was the Redskins and it was renamed to the Rednecks, with a hootch jug-carrying hillbilly mascot. I want to believe Obama would do the same thing.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

comingafteryouall posted:

No, even worse. They're all about Hillary's MLP fandom dating back to when she watched it with Chelsea in its original run. At least half are about results from online quizzes about which character she is.

Incorrect, Ted Cruz was the brony of this election. That is not a joke, by the way, look it up. His favorite is Applejack, the "pony of Honesty". My loving rear end, Ted Cruz. t:mad:

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

If y'all are going to talk about stadiums, please wait till I can actually join the debate.

Instead let's talk about :

https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/784425792084307968
I thought his alt-right fans were deeply concerned about the scourge of false rape accusations ruining men's lives.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

lozzle posted:

The armchair FBI agent-ing that occurs on Reddit regarding Benghazi and the email server is really something to behold.

My favorite is when people say "totally trust me, SWIM was busted for much less and SWIM had to even do prison time Clinton should be in jail!!"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Was her stance yes or no?

It's a lot more nuanced than that, she thinks that some of the higher execs knew when they molded DS9 but it can't be blamed on anyone who put forth a direct effort on the show. Furthermore, both are worthwhile and constructive shows about conflict resolution, and both G'Kar and Garak are really cool.

hungry for crepes n shit
Aug 17, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Serious question, who wants to bet Trump mentions Apu from the Simpsons at that Hindu rally?

Or how he's going to bring call centers back to the US so that everyone will have a job.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Forgall posted:

I thought his alt-right fans were deeply concerned about the scourge of false rape accusations ruining men's lives.

Maybe there is something different about these particular falsely accused people??????

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Pick posted:

Even good people can have bad opinions.

Pick posted:

Incorrect, Ted Cruz was the brony of this election. That is not a joke, by the way, look it up. His favorite is Applejack, the "pony of Honesty". My loving rear end, Ted Cruz. t:mad:

This is what I found on the subject through google. It's a little cuter than creepy since he has daughters and was talking to a kid in a MLP shirt. Warning: this site is nsfw, but not for the reason you might think.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Trabisnikof posted:

My favorite is when people say "totally trust me, SWIM was busted for much less and SWIM had to even do prison time Clinton should be in jail!!"

SWIM is also inevitably in the military and thus subject to the UCMJ and not just the law that Clinton allegedly broke.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Pick posted:

Whoah, she's not a brony, just someone who enjoys the show as something that transports her back to a happy time in her life. Your reaction is exactly why the emails had to be deleted.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Pick posted:

It's a lot more nuanced than that, she thinks that some of the higher execs knew when they molded DS9 but it can't be blamed on anyone who put forth a direct effort on the show. Furthermore, both are worthwhile and constructive shows about conflict resolution, and both G'Kar and Garak are really cool.

All Hail Abuela :abuela:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

straight up brolic posted:

Anything interesting in this new email drop?

just a bunch of emails that have already been released quoted in their entirety with hillary only adding "Pls print" to the top

• Locked thread