Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i'm thinking of the rat poison one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

No more explosives, rat poison, morphine and cocaine sold otc thanks to the nanny state :rolleyes:

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i could go for some laudanum right about now

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Heresiarch posted:

in 1926 you could walk into a hardware store and walk out with a sack of high explosives, the fact that this is no longer the case probably had a lot to do with the reduction in child injuries

its also a perfect example of the reductions of our freedoms that OBAMA has forced on us over the last 100 years

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

spankmeister posted:

No more explosives, rat poison, morphine and cocaine sold otc thanks to the nanny state :rolleyes:

i heard on a podcast they stopped putting cocaine in coca-cola because black people were starting to drink it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Even as late as the 60s or 70s you could at least get interesting chemicals at the local corner store, if not actual explosives or powerful narcotics. and presumably there were no issues selling things to a child as long as they looked white upstanding

I have a British kids' science book from 1970 or so and it still tells you to go down to the local chemist (pharmacy) and buy sulfuric acid and potassium permanganate

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Now I have to show my ID at Home Depot to buy a can of spray paint or contact cement

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

you can still buy sulfuric acid, though

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well yeah, if you're an adult. but if I was 12 years old and didn't have an Amazon account, where could I go any more to buy sulfuric acid?

I can't imagine that e.g. a battery supplier would just give you a jar of the stuff because you looked like a good kid, which is definitely the impression I get about how it was 50 years ago

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

quote:

While some substances banned from chemistry sets are not dangerous when handled properly, no one wants to go back to the days when kids were allowed to play with uranium. In 1951, Gilbert released an “Atomic Energy Lab,” which contained three “very low-level” radioactive sources (alpha, beta, and gamma particles), a U-239 Geiger counter, a Wilson cloud chamber, a spinthariscope, four samples of uranium-bearing ores, and an electroscope to measure radioactivity.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

you have to admit, that's the coolest home-science kit ever

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Cat Face Joe posted:

its also a perfect example of the reductions of our freedoms that OBAMA has forced on us over the last 100 years

reminder that 1 in 3 louisiana republicans blame the hurricane katrina response on obama

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Hmmm.

https://twitter.com/HarambeIsWoke/status/784447478443614208

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i want to RT that but i cant because trump supporter

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

looking forward to the future where OBAMA is believed to have been a government organization that worked tirelessly to limit the freedoms of trumpanians (formerly americans)

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
loving badass

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
https://i.imgur.com/jf11dW0.mp4

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

has any of these 'omg a shark in a flood' pictures ever turned out to be real

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

shark on the streets
dolphin in the sheets

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

a terrifying, sadistic rapist?

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom
https://twitter.com/textfiles/status/784453164535652352

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

a terrifying, sadistic rapist?

what are clowns, for $9000

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Friday afternoon motherfuckers

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
https://twitter.com/bagrow/status/784066050941943808

crap nerd
May 24, 2008

bump_fn posted:

shark on the streets
dolphin in the sheets

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK0d4K4xx4o

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

oooh, you got the side of a patch panel that never changes to be super tidy and clean. great loving accomplishment, chief.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
god that's even worse than the smuglords who post pictures of ultra-tidy racks where every single port is populated. yeah, if you know every port's going to be full, of course it's easy to make it all ziptied and crisp!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i remember my dad said he used to work in blasting, and he got out because he kept seeing too many alleged ""professionals"" who were missing fingers because they'd hosed up with blasting caps.

he also had a story of a guy who used way too much dynamite to remove a tree stump, and managed to send the stump flying up into the air and right down onto the guy's pickup truck.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i guess i should post a picture

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
lmbo are those the room A/C's that Costco has been selling the last few years before summer?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

lol

e: here's one of mine it's bad mlmp

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Winkle-Daddy posted:

lmbo are those the room A/C's that Costco has been selling the last few years before summer?

the good news is that equipment is rated for 95F inlet with no external CFM supply

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
I am at butlins bognor regis so the wife can finally see suede before we die. Without hyperbole, I have been transported to the amusement park level of L4D 2, except someone has installed a mod that changes the zombies into old, fat British people.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Lol we used those in our server room. They actually work pretty well. I was impressed enough that I bought a 14,000 BTU portable for my house without A/C that I was renting at the time. Owned bones.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Winkle-Daddy posted:

lol probably, i didn't source them.

thank christ i don't work there any more.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
oh yeah those A/C units were just exhausting into the ceiling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

thinking i was in the schadenfreude thread made this a really engaging watch

• Locked thread