Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I think the world design in TES games is better than most people give it credit for. The setting includes a lot of different cultures and locations that vary really drastically. The big weakness in the game's writing comes from the characters all being very one-note and forgettable. The foundation of the world is interesting, but the actual actors in it are boring as hell usually.

There's probably more fanart of the flame atronachs than any individual character in Skyrim just because people can imagine themselves loving the fire golems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Internet Kraken posted:

The foundation of the world is interesting, but the actual actors in it are boring as hell usually.

:agreed: you can tell a lot of love went into the world building, but most of the actual games are a bit too safe in my opinion.

I guess my problem is that TES went in the opposite direction than the one I wanted. I liked morrowind for being a weird unique setting, and I have always wanted to see the black marsh, valenwood, elswyr, etc. But instead we got generic. Fantasy Europe, and not-Scandinavia. Hell, the best parts of oblivion/skyrim are the daedric realms/soul cairn imo.

WHEN CAN I PLAY AS A VAMPIRE SAMURAI SNAKE!?

Buckets
Apr 10, 2009

...THE CHILD...

Internet Kraken posted:

I think the world design in TES games is better than most people give it credit for. The setting includes a lot of different cultures and locations that vary really drastically. The big weakness in the game's writing comes from the characters all being very one-note and forgettable. The foundation of the world is interesting, but the actual actors in it are boring as hell usually.

The world setting TES games is only good as long as they don't need to show it. Jungle Cyrodiil is the beaten horse example, but there's a lot of really interesting quirks of each region described in the game's books that get ironed out or tossed completely when they need to make a streamlined game.

You don't see vampire's warping through ice covered lakes to freeze you with their breath while playing Skyrim, that's for true.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Buckets posted:

You don't see vampire's warping through ice covered lakes to freeze you with their breath while playing Skyrim, that's for true.

I feel like morrowind did a good job of keeping it weird, but I understand I probably wouldn't get to see the all different castes of kahjit if the next game was in elswyr :sigh:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

:yeah:

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Dreddout posted:

I feel like morrowind did a good job of keeping it weird, but I understand I probably wouldn't get to see the all different castes of kahjit if the next game was in elswyr :sigh:

They'll never have a game set in Elswyr because if they did then it wouldn't be Elsewhere anymore.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Mighty Dicktron posted:

They'll never have a game set in Elswyr because if they did then it wouldn't be Elsewhere anymore.

:aaaaa:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
gently caress you, :nms: that poo poo.

:negative:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Double Punctuation posted:

gently caress you, :nms: that poo poo.

:negative:

Why, that comic had as much emotional impact as everything else in FMA; none at all.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I don't understand.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

hahaha thats messed up

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't understand.

Sometimes people use the internet to express their opinions about anime. If this frightens you, headbutt a telephone.

Titled "Steampunk Harley Quinn" but what exactly makes it steampunk? The dials?

vvvvv ...had somehow overlooked the greebles, and the hat didn't even register. Makes as much sense as anything else.

silentsnack has a new favorite as of 04:03 on Oct 8, 2016

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

silentsnack posted:

Sometimes people use the internet to express their opinions about anime. If this frightens you, headbutt a telephone.

Titled "Steampunk Harley Quinn" but what exactly makes it steampunk? The dials?

The utterly unnecessary brass bits everywhere, the overly elaborate and probably useless bits on the hammer, the tiny goddamn hat.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't understand.

The part of Full Metal Alchemist where one of the characters nearly beats a man to death after discovering that he transformed his daughter into a chimera by fusing her and the dog together only replaced with Pokemon characters.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

thats not type: null

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

FOUL MURDER

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Wow Morrowind is hosed up

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I actually played morrowind for the first time a few months ago and was like, insanely underwhelmed by it. it's honestly just More Standard Fantasy with even more proper nouns somehow (and more insects)

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

Alaois posted:

I actually played morrowind for the first time a few months ago and was like, insanely underwhelmed by it. it's honestly just More Standard Fantasy with even more proper nouns somehow (and more insects)

Skyrim is the best game in the series because it stops trying to force you into pretentious nerd fantasy and just lets you roam around the wilderness setting things on fire and smacking things with an axe

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Kwyndig posted:

The utterly unnecessary brass bits everywhere, the overly elaborate and probably useless bits on the hammer, the tiny goddamn hat.

Don't forget the goggles. The only people who wear goggles are swimmers, steampunks, and Digimon protagonists.

Rama of Ra
Sep 7, 2005
~Where's Sitka? Right about the middle of your thumb.~

Waffleman_ posted:

Don't forget the goggles. The only people who wear goggles are swimmers, steampunks, and Digimon protagonists.

Wow, way to stereotype.

:science:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

HoboNews
Oct 11, 2012

Don't rattle me bones

drat, that's some fast fanart turnaround.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

HoboNews posted:

drat, that's some fast fanart turnaround.

I wouldn't exactly call it fan art when it was ripped directly from the source.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Wl_yf86n78&t=1105s

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

having just watched/finished Psycho Mob 100 I wanna go back and say that I appreciate this a whole lot

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Crocoswine posted:

having just watched/finished Psycho Mob 100 I wanna go back and say that I appreciate this a whole lot

I'm mildly bothered by the lack of continuity between shots.

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

I'M MAKIN' IT GP RAIN

I can never see this image without thinking about this song.

Tangentially related:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBFfmhz_s4A

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Alaois posted:

Can't remember the last time I played a standard fantasy game where a hermaphroditic god king sends me on a quest to kill another god trying to make a giant robot with a god's still beating heart in an attempt to satisfy his solipsism and become everything in the world.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

Can't remember the last time I played a standard fantasy game where a hermaphroditic god king sends me on a quest to kill another god trying to make a giant robot with a god's still beating heart in an attempt to satisfy his solipsism and become everything in the world.

that sounds incredibly stupid

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

It's actually v cool, but your first experience in Morrowind is a swamp town and gently caress swamps in RPGs

Then I went to ziggurat city of impossible to navigate halls looking for cool poo poo amidst the junk

Vvardenfell in Skyrim is the best part though

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Alaois posted:

that sounds incredibly stupid

Turn your monitor on, lmao

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

RareAcumen posted:

I'm mildly bothered by the lack of continuity between shots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWX4GUYGQXQ&t=88s

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

SunAndSpring posted:

Turn your monitor on, lmao

Their shtick over old RPGs has gotten pretty stale.

Also because we need more JoJo crossover junk

Elder Titan's Bizarre Adventure

How long can you move in the chronosphere frozen time

Also just a cute thing

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

Their shtick over old RPGs has gotten pretty stale.

?????????????????????????

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

FETISH SLAIN

J.A.B.C. has a new favorite as of 18:57 on Oct 8, 2016

• Locked thread