Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

My god drat dad keeps bringing up leasing when I drive like 20k miles a year.

Is there a site where I can just give him the numbers why leasing is terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Simply change the subject immediately by asking him "is a hot dog a sandwich?"

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

iwentdoodie posted:

I wish I could remember the place, but there's a little Mexican joint in downtown Portland attached to one of the worst/best strip clubs I've ever been to that had goddamn amazing burritos.

It supplied the food requirement for the club, and the club provided the bathroom for the restaurant. So if you had to piss? Bam, titties.
Santeria. It's two blocks from my office. Coworker won't go back after he swears he saw a cockroach. Never been in Mary's next door. Shares a bathroom with the club.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Audiobook recommendations? I'm getting back on the bike trainer for the season

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

blk posted:

Audiobook recommendations? I'm getting back on the bike trainer for the season

I've been listening to the Harry Potter books lately. I recommend the Stephen Fry versions.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Have a whole house filter, picked up a replacement filter a month or so ago and have been meaning to change it. Water bill shows up today and is 4x what it usually is. Housing for the stupid filter cracked and is spraying all over the crawl space. Took a few hardware stores but found a replacement and got it fixed. The joys of home ownership.

Wonder if it was leaking at all a month and a half ago when I ordered the filter and planned on changing it. Either could have caught it before it got bad or missed it completely.

If anyone hasn't seen the newest Roadkill yet you should go watch it asap, one of their better - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDK86kzgUPg

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Have a whole house filter, picked up a replacement filter a month or so ago and have been meaning to change it. Water bill shows up today and is 4x what it usually is. Housing for the stupid filter cracked and is spraying all over the crawl space. Took a few hardware stores but found a replacement and got it fixed. The joys of home ownership.

Wonder if it was leaking at all a month and a half ago when I ordered the filter and planned on changing it. Either could have caught it before it got bad or missed it completely.

If anyone hasn't seen the newest Roadkill yet you should go watch it asap, one of their better - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDK86kzgUPg

I just paid a $500 water bill for the last quarter when it is normally 200-250 maximum. Why? Because the damned garden hose decided to burst not once but twice while we were away two separate times and spewed water everywhere. Goddamnit.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...

Ferremit posted:

I was thinking that... $75K will buy you a drat 200 series with the twin turbo diesel engine. 60 series landcruisers are ridiculously cheap in Australia

I'd rather have a 60 and dump a bunch of cash into it to tidy it up and make it not-glacial than a 200

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

ZenVulgarity posted:

My god drat dad keeps bringing up leasing when I drive like 20k miles a year.

Is there a site where I can just give him the numbers why leasing is terrible

I don't know a ton about leasing but I thought it was pretty much always a bad choice unless you're pretty well-off and the kind of person who would be buying a new car every 2 years anyway?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

kastein posted:

I just paid a $500 water bill for the last quarter when it is normally 200-250 maximum. Why? Because the damned garden hose decided to burst not once but twice while we were away two separate times and spewed water everywhere. Goddamnit.

Why is your hose pressurized?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I could lease a car from work for about £230 a month including insurance, have a boring but basically new car permanent and never need to work on it or worry about anything catastrophic happening. It's not terrible vs buying a £1k car and spending £1k+ fixing whatever's broke every year but I prefer to roll the dice. Currently I'm ahead.

E:gonna change this damned name. It's not me.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

kastein posted:

drat, I got a 1.5k bill once but it was when their joint in front of my house broke. Only took an hour of calls to get that sorted out. That's some expensive water up north though wow, my highest bill ever (before this and not the joint break) was just over $60, average is $30. Otherwise I've been pretty fortunate with lack of failures and stuff so far.

In other news got the invisible fence setup for the girlfriends dogs so they can be a little less supervised while I'm working in the garage and they're roaming. Cue my brother testing it. Sadly no video because I had no idea until he came back saying his arm is all pins and needles. It's been nice having dogs back in my life, didn't know how much I missed it.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 7, 2016

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That's for a full quarter, and includes sewer too. I'd have to look at the actual rate to know for sure whether we just use more water than you or actually pay a lot more per cubic foot.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Why is your hose pressurized?

Never had an issue with it before and left it on but with a trigger handle sprayer thing on the end, went away for the weekend. Came back to a 1" long tear in the side of the hose spraying water basically as fast as it could be fed into the hose, no idea how many hours or days it'd been like that. Retired that hose, replaced it with a brand new one that was apparently defective and did the same thing a few weeks later. We keep it turned off at the spigot on the house now :downs:

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
In the finest AI tradition, I just took ownership of a non-drivable 2005 Ford Mondeo estate. 2.0 diesel. It needs (in no particular order) new discs, new pads, new track arm bushings, new wishbones, a new starter motor, the belt that drives the aircon is slipping, and the driver's side front spring is snapped. And an MOT.

Also, it was free. Project for spring 2017 lined up, then...

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
my water and sewer bill is 78/mo, sewer charge is at least 50 of that amount. complete bullshit.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

the spyder posted:

Santeria. It's two blocks from my office. Coworker won't go back after he swears he saw a cockroach. Never been in Mary's next door. Shares a bathroom with the club.

Yes! That place. I have very low standards so the cleanliness doesn't bother me. I always had enough booze in my system to clear it out anyway.

Mary's has a stage that is about 6 feet from stage floor to ceiling. I watched a 40+ year old (or a hard 25 I guess) stripper try to climb a pole, and knock herself out cold on a light.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

kastein posted:

The lesson there is to leave the spigot closed when you're not using the hose -- how did you not learn that the first time? Sheesh, first-time home buyers. :D

Edit:

kastein posted:

Never had an issue with it before and left it on but with a trigger handle sprayer thing on the end, went away for the weekend. Came back to a 1" long tear in the side of the hose spraying water basically as fast as it could be fed into the hose, no idea how many hours or days it'd been like that. Retired that hose, replaced it with a brand new one that was apparently defective and did the same thing a few weeks later. We keep it turned off at the spigot on the house now :downs:

And I'm acting like a first-time poster and replying in an old open window. :eng99:

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 7, 2016

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum
I've thought about putting a ball valve inline with the gate valve on our main water service just because it is so easy to flip it off when we go out of town for a while.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Bibendum posted:

I've thought about putting a ball valve inline with the gate valve on our main water service just because it is so easy to flip it off when we go out of town for a while.

Don't you have one already?

Everywhere I've lived in the UK has had a mains valve under the kitchen sink that shuts off the whole house.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Bibendum posted:

Gate valve and freeze-proof spigots suck balls. 1/4 turn ball valves are superior in every way. The only problem is making sure the spigot is fully drained before winter, because a freeze would kill the freeze-proof spigot if water is between the ball and gate valves.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

RE: turning off your house water when away.

If you don't have an expansion tank and you do have a tank-type water heater...make sure to turn off that as well, unless you want to hard test its bomb-proofing.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Seminal Flu posted:

because a freeze would kill the freeze-proof spigot

:crossarms:

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Welp, I guess the storm is over in Central Florida. Here in Orlando it basically amounted to a lot of wind and rain.

They finally lifted the curfew here, so I was able to drive around a bit. Lots of branches and debris in the road, but nothing major. No downed trees or anything.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

BraveUlysses posted:

my water and sewer bill is 78/mo, sewer charge is at least 50 of that amount. complete bullshit.

Mine's right at $50.

.... for a 1 bedroom apartment. :argh: There's one meter for the entire property, so it's divided up among everyone living at the property. But instead of dividing it up by the number of people in each apartment, you pay based on how many square feet your apartment is. And I'm in one of the larger one bedrooms.

There's also a meter on my water heater, but I've never seen anyone check it, and the bill I get every month is always +/- $1 of the previous month.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

The only reason a spigot is "freeze proof" is that its valve is very recessed so that the water can drain away from the valve. That way, even if it freezes, there isn't enough water built-up to burst the valve/pipe. If you put a ball valve after a freeze-proof spigot, you can trap water between the ball valve and the spigot valve. That water can freeze and burst the spigot/pipe. :crossarms:

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

For the past 18 months until about 3 months ago I had been part-time stealing a cat from someone else locally. I work from home a lot and it would spend days on my lap or sofa and weekends with me in my garden/garage before departing at night and turning back up most mornings. I didn't feed it but it would dive on any left overs and I gave it milk/water as it would go mad for it whenever I tried to make myself tea or coffee. It was small and scruffy and miaowed like it had lost its voice.

Then I spent about 5 weeks working away - seeing it only when i was back at weekends, until I came back in early September and it wasn't here - and the people who I thought it lived with seemed to have moved out or at least gone on a long vacation (the house is still unoccupied but their stuff is still there)

I've spent the last 6 weeks missing it and thinking about getting my very own catte... until today when I looked out of the window and thought I saw it in the garden.

I went out there and either my cat friend is back after some sort of life changing experience or I have just met a slightly different yet very similar friendly catte! Its fatter, cleaner and fluffier and clearly hasn't been fighting (it always had scratches or injuries) and it seems to have regained its voice to gain a full miaow - but it saw me and then came over and pushed its way into my house before wandering round while looking confused before walking and climbing over me trying to steal my drink until I gave it its own. Then it miaowed at me a lot and wouldn't sit down before forcing me to open a door and let it out

Its all very confusing!

kastein posted:

I must have been going wrong for all of my life as I have never managed to have a garden hose that didn't piss water out of every possible connector such that when you stop using it you run to turn the tap off before it sprays water everywhere or something comes apart.
After having a tap freeze and split a pipe a few years ago I now turn the outside tap off in the summer and the indoor in-line stop tap off in the winter (with the outside tap open)

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Seminal Flu posted:

The lesson there is to leave the spigot closed when you're not using the hose -- how did you not learn that the first time? Sheesh, first-time home buyers. :D

Edit:

And I'm acting like a first-time poster and replying in an old open window. :eng99:

I was just gonna call you out on that :haw:

I have... starting at the meter:
-ballvalve shutoff before meter
-ballvalve shutoff after meter
-standard garden spigot in the basement right after the second shutoff, for either using a hose to clean up the basement or to drain the plumbing
-ballvalve shutoffs on the hot/cold branches to the bathroom sink, showerhead 1, and showerhead 2 (all separate)
- ballvalve shutoff on the branch to the toilet
- ballvalve shutoffs on the hot/cold branches to the kitchen sink and dishwasher
- ballvalve shutoff with draincock on the branch to the freezeproof garden spigot
- ballvalve shutoffs on the hot/cold branches to the basement slopsink and clothes washer valve
- ballvalve shutoffs on the inlet to the water heater and future home of the furnace

Basically, you can shut off any single device in the house right where its piping joins the main supply line across the basement ceiling without turning off anything else. It probably cost me another 100 bucks in stainless ballvalves and I don't care, it's worth it to never have to touch a seized up leaking gate valve again.

The garden hose didn't leak a drop till it suddenly burst, so I got complacent. Then I assumed the new one would be fine. Whoops.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

scuz posted:

Simply change the subject immediately by asking him "is a hot dog a sandwich?"

The answer is an easy yes though.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Bubbles is a whore for pats:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

In early August I got the carburettor from my 1965 Falcon overhauled.

When I picked it up from the carby shop they told me it was the original, even though in the back of my head it didn't seem like it.

I finally got some time today to install it, to find that the shop has given me the incorrect carburettor. There is no way the throttle linkage would fit this carburettor.

I looked at photos I took of the original carburettor and it is totally different to the one I was given.

Really pissed off at the moment.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
Tell me about Subarus. Specifically 90s JDM WRX Subarus. Potentially giving up on finding a sweet 2 door xE7x Corolla sedan. What's the ownership experience like, how are they to work on, common issues, what engine to look for, etc

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I loving hate Subarus.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Round 2 of the layoffs begin tomorrow. Fun...

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

CharlesM posted:

I loving hate Subarus.

I loving love Subarus.

gimpsuitjones posted:

Tell me about Subarus. Specifically 90s JDM WRX Subarus. Potentially giving up on finding a sweet 2 door xE7x Corolla sedan. What's the ownership experience like, how are they to work on, common issues, what engine to look for, etc

JDM WRX's heh? Okay in general, the MY98 to 00 have the best equipment stock and best diffs / gearboxes / turbo options depending on model. They are all 2 litre but the homologation modesl and STI's have forged internals (denoted by EJ207, the EJ205 is the WRX engine and is a bit wimpier), the STI's have the best gearboxes, the WRX RA (It's technically not a STI, it's a built by STI) has the best gearbox of all (read strongest and the first version of DCCD), but they are now becoming impossible to find. The RA is highly desireable to say the least. Oh and the pre 98 WRX gearboxes? They are ...ummmm.... not exactly glass but good luck hard launching cause you will break something fast.

Also you have a two door version - good luck finding that now as well.

They may or may not be rusted. I dont know as the Aust WRX's of that vintage are highly likely to be completely fine, JDM is a crapshoot.

You will have 15-20 year old car problems with poo poo being worn out altho JDM cars tend to be low kms.

I find em easy to work on (apart from wiring), just need to do a bit of planning for some jobs.

Also highly respnsive to mods.

Basically, go 98-2000 year build, brakes and gearbox are noticably better

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Have run into a snag with the famous Honda crank bolt. Need to remove the stock oil pump and to do it right I have to pull the lower timing cover which means the harmonic balancer has to come off. 770ft lb impact had no effect at all, breaker bar just rotates the engine. I've doused it in knock'er loose and am checking to see if anyone has the actual tool made for this job. But even with the tool to hold the crank from spinning it looks like this will be a pain in the rear end. Engine is on a stand without a transmission attached making it slightly more difficult. From a 2002 Honda S2000 Any tips?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I used a pipe fitting and a hex adapter, all made out of DIP, and a big-rear end, $10 "largest they come" pipe wrench from Harbor Freight. Worked a treat! I essentially followed this guide, but instead of welding a handle on etc etc I just used a 3 inch section of matching pipe extension tube/coupling tube, and the mentioned pipe wrench around the outside, wedged to the frame.

Now, since you're on an engine stand, you may have to end up ratchet strapping the engine stand to the table that you're going to be wedging the pipe wrench against, but you can do it.

here's a link to the post in my thread about me fighting with the crank bolt on my 98 CRV.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Would the "rope through the plug hole" trick work to lock the engine?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
There's so much force on that crank bolt I'd be afraid to break somethign else

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Are you putting an aftermarket balancer on it too? Weld a piece of 2x2 steel box tube across the balancer and use one arm on it and the other on the breaker bar with a substantial cheater pipe.

Plan on replacing the crank seal though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

here's a link to the post in my thread about me fighting with the crank bolt on my 98 CRV.
Hmm that might work pretty well if I can't find the tool locally. Someone also mentioned this thing https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RGNCV1U which transfers more energy to the bolt due to the added mass versus a standard socket. I'm kind of tempted to do it the lazy way and cut the oil pump chain then just use wrenches to remove the chain tensioners. Then I don't have to deal with any of this crap. Just need the stock pump off so the dry sump pan will fit.

• Locked thread