Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, you could you word a card like this I guess

As an additional cost, exile 2 cards from your hand
Scry 1, then return one of the exiled cards to your hard and put the other in your graveyard
Draw two cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Tormenting Voice was a modern playable card before it got one-upped and was already an upgrade over Wild Guess. If anything they've been pushing red card draw/filtering a lot more recently.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Scry is, flavorfully, a pretty nonred mechanic, since red is nominally about "well let's see what happens"

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Elyv posted:

Scry is, flavorfully, a pretty nonred mechanic, since red is nominally about "well let's see what happens"

But Riddle of Lightning..

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I'm just sitting in the corner, crying about the death of blue's card draw and card filtering

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

GeneX posted:

I'm just sitting in the corner, crying about the death of blue's card draw and card filtering

I'm going back and forth between Modern, Legacy and Pauper. It feels so bad casting Serum Visions or Sleight of Hand just after having cast Ponder and Preordain.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Hellsau posted:

I'm going back and forth between Modern, Legacy and Pauper. It feels so bad casting Serum Visions or Sleight of Hand just after having cast Ponder and Preordain.

Didn't you know that anything traditionally "blue" is a feel bad for new players and must be stomped out like the plague that card draw and counters are? :downs:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Half of Magic seems to be a feelbad for new players

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Everything I enjoy about Magic also seems to be a feelbad for new players

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
I played legacy for the first time last week after playing for less than a year. This game is way more fun when you have good answers and good card selection.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Everything I enjoy about Magic also seems to be a feelbad for new players

My first experience playing someone as a new player was with my Knight Tribal deck was having my opponent ramp into Spawnsire of Ulamog and dumping his binder of foil Eldrazi on the board.

I've learned since then.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
drat that dude owned the hellck out of you.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Mef989 posted:

Didn't you know that anything traditionally "blue" is a feel bad for new players and must be stomped out like the plague that card draw and counters are? :downs:

Weird. I would think that multiple card draws on the same turn is a thing all newbies would enjoy.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
So I have a bunch of treasure chests and I can't open them. I have that bug where you can't see your "products received" window, and the official workaround of "windows key and arrows" doesn't actually do anything. I tried opening a chest last night, and I literally don't know what I got from it. Fun!

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Trying out Grixis Emerge. Pretty neat, but some of the choices that guy used at the Open seem random, like Perpetual Timepiece.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

BJPaskoff posted:

I really like red's "draw a card, sort of, but use it or lose it this turn!" mechanic.

Same, and Im waiting for a goblin looter that taps to do this.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Chill la Chill posted:

Weird. I would think that multiple card draws on the same turn is a thing all newbies would enjoy.

I'm pretty sure most Delver builds are the exact opposite of what a lot of new players tend to like.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Same, and Im waiting for a goblin looter that taps to do this.
Well, they've been making it key off of enter the battlefield effects (Abbot of Kheral Keep) or combat based triggers (prophetic flamespeaker, that mutant vampire from EDM). The one-shot effects exist on cards like Commune with Lava or some of the older chandras.

As for a guy that says T: Do a thing that'd give me card advantage, I don't think wizards thinks that's "red" enough. Most of red's card advantage comes at an immediate downside (tormenting voice, desperate gamble), or is short term in nature (the aforementioned stuff). Having it be a planned event makes it less spontaneous and therefore less red-feeling.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

E: nevermind, also I doubleposted because I struggled to explain what I meant.

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Oct 7, 2016

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Sestze posted:

As for a guy that says T: Do a thing that'd give me card advantage, I don't think wizards thinks that's "red" enough. Most of red's card advantage comes at an immediate downside (tormenting voice, desperate gamble), or is short term in nature (the aforementioned stuff). Having it be a planned event makes it less spontaneous and therefore less red-feeling.

I didnt mean card advantage though.

Basically this card
http://magiccards.info/query?q=rummaging+goblin&v=card&s=cname
except discard a card to do the chandra red draw thing instead of just gaining a card. Merfolk looter but with the red draw thing instead.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

So a worse version of rummaging?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sestze posted:

Well, they've been making it key off of enter the battlefield effects (Abbot of Kheral Keep) or combat based triggers (prophetic flamespeaker, that mutant vampire from EDM). The one-shot effects exist on cards like Commune with Lava or some of the older chandras.

Tormenting Voice isn't card advantage

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Irony Be My Shield posted:

So a worse version of rummaging?

Right but maybe we can make the things that do it cheaper to cast.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Death Bot posted:

I'm pretty sure most Delver builds are the exact opposite of what a lot of new players tend to like.

I fell in love with Magic via Beachhouse so

Actually I don't have a point, I just kinda miss Beachhouse.

anglachel
May 28, 2012
It seems like discarding a higher cmc to get card advantage so long as the spells are weaker seems like in Red's themes.

Like this card.

Red Style Card Advantage
RR
Sorcery
As a additional cost discard a card.
Reveal the top 3 cards of your library. You may put any number of the cards you revealed in your hand as long as their total combined converted mana cost is less than the card you discarded.

This also fits in to their thing where they seem to want Red to be playing big CMC cards with all the payoff cards they've been printing to not run low casting cost Red lately.

Of course they think Divination is too strong for blue now, so gently caress. Black is now the control color in magic. Blue is "tempo".

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Blue just got a pretty good card draw spell. Control seems bad in Coptor land though.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Blue just got a pretty good card draw spell. Control seems bad in Coptor land though.

Glimmer is okay, but it feels like Green still has better card selection with Oath of Nissa and a better card advantage engine in Tracker.

If there is a control deck this standard, it's probably gonna be in Green/Black. (maybe full Abzan)

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

anglachel posted:

Glimmer is okay, but it feels like Green still has better card selection with Oath of Nissa and a better card advantage engine in Tracker.

If there is a control deck this standard, it's probably gonna be in Green/Black. (maybe full Abzan)

Adding white gets you Declaration in Stone and Anguished Unmaking, along with Cataclysmic Gearhulk.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

DiS seems very bad right now. Fumigate seems like a good reason to play white though. RW might be cool, Harnessed Lightning is strong and Nahiri can actually answer a copter.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

DiS seems very bad right now. Fumigate seems like a good reason to play white though. RW might be cool, Harnessed Lightning is strong and Nahiri can actually answer a copter.

Harnessed Lightning seems to be the best bet honestly, since it can poke a copter at instant speed, or take out a tiny guy to empower the next one.

Though, is Narihi the best answer for a copter? If it's tapped then it's been crewed, so there's still something to take her out.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
That Grixis Emerge deck is a fun idea but after trying it out, the mana for it is just horrific unless you like getting color screwed, not drawing enough lands, and everything coming into play tapped.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 8, 2016

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Hellsau posted:

So I have a bunch of treasure chests and I can't open them. I have that bug where you can't see your "products received" window, and the official workaround of "windows key and arrows" doesn't actually do anything. I tried opening a chest last night, and I literally don't know what I got from it. Fun!

I had this happen a few weeks ago and I had to uninstall, fully remove saved settings then reinstall. It fixed the problem.

https://wizards.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2269

anglachel
May 28, 2012

The deck that won the last relevant tourney had 4 of them mainboard so. And 17 copies showed up in mainboards in the top 8. The data thus far does not support your position. I imagine the card will lose popularity if the "artifacts matters" cards keep seeing popular play. But I imagine it will still be a 2 of in alot of sideboard.

Being able to make a Haunted Dead or Prized Amalgam go away for realsies seems important. So does getting rid of a Scraphead Scrounger. And removal that gets past Selfless Spirit is also relevant. Plus the Vehicles decks run lots of 4 of's. And keeping them off creatures to crew seems to be a valid strategy to stop the Copter.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

You could instead run a card that can kill Copters. Just a thought.

DiS was probably decent in the context of last week's meta where people were assuming durdly GW builds were still good, but now it's clear how dominant Copter decks are I think that will shift pretty drastically.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

MiddleEastBeast posted:

I wonder what degree of changes could have brought the card goes from 'format-warping auto 4-of' to 'just good card that aggressive decks want'. Remove the "or blocks" clause to the loot condition? Go further and make it "When ~ deals combat damage to a player"?

Don't give it a loot clause and/or don't give it flying.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Or just not being usable in any deck.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Oh look, my opponent had Skullcrack and Flames of the Blood Hand every single instance I tried to attack with lifelink. Of course!

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

I think the reason they give is that most players just starting out get bored if each game plays the same, so that's why introductory products have such variance and split game plans. My guess is that better draw and selection improves consistency and reduces variance, which might bore some newer players?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The specific 1 mana filters in question are also just overpowered and warp any format around them. Even if we accept the premise that we need more filtering 1 mana cantrips are a bad way to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
Ponder and Preordain were perfectly fine in standard, though. Ponder saw barely any play from Lorwyn->Scars block, and only really became a thing with Delver and Snapcaster in Innistrad, for obvious reasons.

• Locked thread