Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

catlord posted:

Jaime is Blue Beetle. I think I've also seen him complain about Miles Morales and maybe Kamala? Legacy characters.

I have never complained about miles or Kamala.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Equilibrium posted:

Yeah, in the same way Ray Terrill (1992) and Ray Terrill (2015) are different characters.

Anyways I'm reading Midnighter and Apollo and Steve Orlando brought back the Subway Pirates from Seven Soldiers. Buy this comic.

No it isn't. Kathy Kane and Kate Kane are two different characters. Kate Kane is Batwoman and Kathy works for Spyral now (she was a different Batwoman in the old timeline ).

Ray Terrill 2017 is the same Ray Terrill from 1992 just with ten years removed by Doc Manhattan.

Also the gay Ray in Morrisons Multiversity was an elseworlds version of the character (you know like vampire batman and cowboy Justice league?) and on top of that I'm pretty sure that was Happy Terrill (rays dad in the mainline canon).

The fact that I'm seeing a lot of misinformation and confusion goes to show that some people shouldn't even be part of this conversation until they are better informed.

Alucard Nacirema fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Oct 7, 2016

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Alucard Nacirema posted:

The fact that I'm seeing a lot of misinformation and confusion goes to show that some people shouldn't even be part of this conversation until they are better informed.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/553268372331573248

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Ray Terrill 2017 is the same Ray Terrill from 1992 just with ten years removed by Doc Manhattan.

You know Flashpoint didn't stop being a reboot because of the Watchmen retcon. Doc is just somebody else to blame instead of Barry/Pandora/Dan Didio for things coming back changed, younger, not married. Scott Snyder's Zero Year is still this Batman's origin on the other side of Rebirth.

e: I guess it's to be seen how things are revealed in the Watchmen War, but DC reboots have always had cause and effect. Psycho Pirate remembering pre-Crisis means that history still technically existed before their new universe. Then on and on through the rest.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Oct 7, 2016

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Open Marriage Night posted:

Wasn't the Ray the last form of long distance communication during Final Crisis? Am I getting him mixed up with that one guy with similar powers who is supposed to be Hal Jordan's cousin?

I'm kind of happy I'm slowly forgetting a lot of the minor comic book bullshit I filled my head with in my 20's.

You are mixing him up with Airwave II. :reject:

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

This discussion caused me to read over the Ray's Wikipedia page, since prior to this all I knew of thr Ray were a couple of Christopher Priest/Howard Porter issues where Ray looks like a teenager and has sex with Black Canary. Which just seemed problematic.

Reading the Wiki page there have been four Ray's. And the second Ray is the one who did all the stuff making the third and fourth Ray seem superfluous.

The Wiki did have this paragraph which made me laugh however.

quote:

Throughout all of this, Ray remained affiliated with Uncle Sam and the Freedom Fighters as they continued to fight for America against such threats as the Living America, a superhuman prison break and Jester and the Arcadians. Finally, the team was destroyed by the one foe they could not fight - government cutbacks

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Alucard Nacirema posted:

New thread title please.

Also, you know this guy is fictional right?

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Teenage Fansub posted:

You know Flashpoint didn't stop being a reboot because of the Watchmen retcon. Doc is just somebody else to blame instead of Wally/Pandora/Dan Didio for things coming back changed, younger, not married. Scott Snyder's Zero Year is still this Batman's origin on the other side of Rebirth.

Do not put Barry's evil on Wally

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

head58 posted:

New thread title please.

Also, you know this guy is fictional right?

in this climate of unnatural diversity, there's a dearth of heterosexual guys to identify with

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Do not put Barry's evil on Wally

D'oh.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

I think my favorite thing that I hate about the otherwise awesome DCU Rebirth is they somehow spun it as not Barry's fault that he destroyed the world/universe because he was sad about his mom dying.

Don't worry, Barry, it was a naked blue man!

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Alucard Nacirema posted:

No it isn't. Kathy Kane and Kate Kane are two different characters. Kate Kane is Batwoman and Kathy works for Spyral now (she was a different Batwoman in the old timeline ).

Also the gay Ray in Morrisons Multiversity was an elseworlds version of the character (you know like vampire batman and cowboy Justice league?) and on top of that I'm pretty sure that was Happy Terrill (rays dad in the mainline canon).

hello backwards dracula (backdrac?). I believe when it comes to F-list superheroes DC comics cares about as much for their continuity as the average person does, but lol if you think DC comics has anything nearly as complete or well-organized as a quota for diversity

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Two Tone Shoes posted:

I think my favorite thing that I hate about the otherwise awesome DCU Rebirth is they somehow spun it as not Barry's fault that he destroyed the world/universe because he was sad about his mom dying.

Don't worry, Barry, it was a naked blue man!

wasn't there something in Rebirth where he starts blaming himself after remembering forgetting Wally, or am I becoming Reverse Flash and Barry Allen must suffer

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

How the meeting to make The Ray, Ray Terrill, homosexual actually went at DC Offices:

Writer: "Hey do you mind if we make Ray Terrill gay?"

Editor: "Who the gently caress is Ray Terrill"

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Alaois posted:

How the meeting to make The Ray, Ray Terrill, homosexual actually went at DC Offices:

Writer: "Hey do you mind if we make Ray Terrill gay?"

Editor: "Who the gently caress is Ray Terrill"

or maybe "Ray? He's my favorite character on Archer!"

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

PenguinKnight posted:

wasn't there something in Rebirth where he starts blaming himself after remembering forgetting Wally, or am I becoming Reverse Flash and Barry Allen must suffer

They have an offscreen conversation that ends with Barry going "Are you sure it's not my fault?" and Wally's like "Yeah, it's SOMETHING ELSE" then the pan to what is obviously Manhattan on Mars.

It just glosses over the fact that Manhattan only did stuff after Barry literally ruined the universe. No one made him do that poo poo.

It'd be a funny twist if the universe was going to end up more hosed from Barry's lovely time travel screwing up the end of Flashpoint and Manhattan was just like "Yeah, I tried to fix it but it was pretty hosed up. I got kind of close, sorry guys."

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I swear to gorilla grod, DC, when you finally unveil the triumphant return of Pantha she better not be a queer

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Nuns with Guns posted:

I swear to gorilla grod, DC, when you finally unveil the triumphant return of Pantha she better not be a queer

whoa whoa whoa, ethnic minority AND queer? You gotta tone the agendarama down, friendo.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I want to see gay, black Bruce Wayne in the main continuity, just to see the level of internet rage it would generate.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
List of changes American Dracula is okay with:

1) Batwoman (because it's a new character and is leaving the memories of Batgirl alone, but not this bullshit new Batgirl gently caress that)
2) Steel (because it's a new character and leaving the memories of WASPY Clark Kent alone)

List of changes American Dracula might be okay with:
1) Kamala Khan (see above)
2) Miles Morales (see above)
3) Just make Martian Manhunter have a black secret ID to fill a quota

List of changes American Dracula IS NOT DOWN WITH AT ALL
1) Jaime Reyes, the Affirmative Action Beetle
2) Shade the Teeny Bopper Who Is No Longer Dark or Intellectual Like Some loving Batgirl of Burnside Changing Girl
3) Black Wally West
4) Dan Didio shoving that poo poo character Cyborg down his throat in Justice League
5) Black Firestorm
6) Asian Atom

I hope this properly represents your nuanced opinions, American Dracula.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

Alucard Nacirema posted:

When Ray Terrill 1992 disappeared with the New 52, The Ray was rebooted as Lucien Gates and Ray Terrill was erased from memory ('Happy' is referenced as a golden age hero). This character sucks and no one remembers him. Four years later Ray Terrill is reimagined in Multiversity, people like the character, and they explicitly base the upcoming CW cartoon on Morrison's The Ray. Obviously DC and Orlando feel similarly, so they are basing the upcoming JLA Rebirth's Ray on the same character, and not on whatever characterization you think this D-lister had 7 years ago.

They can do this thanks to the power of COMICS. There are no rules here! In comics, anything goes, which is why you can sit here and blame Dan Didio and Jim Lee's editorial failings on Doctor Manhattan with a straight face.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Can we get a team comic with The Ray, Jaime Reyes, and Ray Palmer working together?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

greatn posted:

Can we get a team comic with The Ray, Jaime Reyes, and Ray Palmer working together?

Team them up with Red Hood and the Demon and call the whole thing Ray Jay Returns

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Equilibrium posted:

Obviously DC and Orlando feel similarly, so they are basing the upcoming JLA Rebirth's Ray on the same character, and not on whatever characterization you think this D-lister had in 1992-1996, between 20 and 24 years ago.
Minor clarification.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
Okay, which one of you is writing cranky letters to the Sacramento Bee?

Ron W. Loutzenhiser, Galt posted:

Wonder Woman is not gay

Re “Writer: Wonder Woman is gay” (Names & Faces, Oct. 10): The LGBTQ community have made another disgusting move to corrupt the prestige and honor of an American heterosexual icon – Wonder Woman! First they tried to corrupt Captain America’s nobility, and now they have corrupted Wonder Woman’s reputation.

Charles Moulton and H.G. Peter distinctly made Wonder Woman heterosexual – her one true love, (was) Steve Trevor, with whom she married and had a daughter. Until writer Greg Rucka, Wonder Woman was never homosexual.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Mister Mind posted:

I can't believe Bob Kane is still alive.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Wonder Woman was on an island of nothing but women and didn't even know men existed until she was like thirty. She deffo hosed some broads. Suffering saffo.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Mister Mind posted:

Must be American Dracula

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

greatn posted:

Wonder Woman was on an island of nothing but women and didn't even know men existed until she was like thirty. She deffo hosed some broads. Suffering saffo.

The amazons kept sex slaves so she could very well have not hosed some broads.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Mister Mind posted:

Wonder Woman was completely a-sexual until she got a taste for the D thanks to Steve Trevor [citation needed]

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I understand this is how the Ray will come out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdbs3lKEeBE

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

My uncle works at Nintendo and he told me this is preview art from the comic

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

I agree with your point but Cyborg actually sucks really bad.

Mister Mind posted:

By corrupting Captain America's nobility this guy means "They made Sam Wilson Captain America and black people scare me!" right?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

They're probably referring to the Hail Hydra thing.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Equilibrium posted:

When Ray Terrill 1992 disappeared with the New 52, The Ray was rebooted as Lucien Gates and Ray Terrill was erased from memory ('Happy' is referenced as a golden age hero). This character sucks and no one remembers him. Four years later Ray Terrill is reimagined in Multiversity, people like the character, and they explicitly base the upcoming CW cartoon on Morrison's The Ray. Obviously DC and Orlando feel similarly, so they are basing the upcoming JLA Rebirth's Ray on the same character, and not on whatever characterization you think this D-lister had 7 years ago..

Except that Ray Terrill wasn't reimagined in Multiversity. That was the original Ray and that specific comic was an elseworlds where the nazis ruled the world and the freedom fighters were composed of members from backgrounds that were being persecuted by the nazis (phantom lady = gypsy, black condor = black, Ray = gay, etc.) it was a one issue thing and the Ray was barely in the the issue at all. It's extremely disingenuous to claim this is Morrisons hot new take on Ray Terrill. If we are using Multiversity as canon then Damian and Chris Kent should be twenty something millennials involved in a love triangle with Lex Luthirs daughter because that's how it was in Multiversity!

Edge & Christian posted:

Minor clarification.

Wrong. Ray has consistently shown up in event books since the 90s, was on both JLA and Justice League Task Force and was a major character in the freedom fighter series from the late 00s to 2010. Don't make it sound like this is some obscure character like Access or some poo poo.

Alucard Nacirema fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 7, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Wrong. Ray has consistently shown up in event books since the 90s, was on both JLA and Justice League Task Force and was a major character in the freedom fighter series from the late 00s to 2010. Don't make it sound like this is some obscure character like Access or some poo poo.

The loving Freedom Fighters are obscure characters!

The Ray is literally more obscure than B'wana Beast who has had more widespread publication than he has.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

ImpAtom posted:

The loving Freedom Fighters are obscure characters!

The Ray is literally more obscure than B'wana Beast who has had more widespread publication than he has.

No he isn't . The Ray was a big character in the 90s he's a favorite of Geoff Johns and Grant Morrison thats why he's always showing up in the big event books. B'wane Beast shows up for a cameo every 20 years and thats it.

And my point was correcting that other guy who said Ray Terrill hasnt been used in 20 years when he has appeared consistently through the 00s and 2010s.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Alucard Nacirema posted:

You're right. I can't believe we're even having this conversation with any idea of the history of the medium and respect for the culture that surrounds them.

We'll continue once you have written your ten page paper about representation of LGBT characters in comics, not including citations. Glad you can admit your failings, and until then, mods?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alucard Nacirema posted:

No he isn't . The Ray was a big character in the 90s he's a favorite of Geoff Johns and Grant Morrison thats why he's always showing up in the big event books.

Someone being a favorite character of Grant Morrison doesn't prevent them from being an obscure character. If anything it makes it more likely.

Nobody who isn't a die-hard comic fan knows who The Ray is. That's fine. That doesn't make him a bad character but it's true. B'Wana Beast at bare minimum got a series of episodes about him on Brave and the Bold culminating in his death. Someone who doesn't read comics has a chance of knowing who he is. The most The Ray ever got was a small part in a B&B episode where he's barely a character) and cameos in JLU where he literally never has a single line meaning he gets less onscreen time than Vigilante.

The Ray is the definition of a C-list character nobody knows about. He shows up in cameos and references and that's about it. That's okay. That's not a bad thing. Being C-list isn't bad but stop trying to pretend like The Ray is this massively recognized and beloved character.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

ImpAtom posted:

Someone being a favorite character of Grant Morrison doesn't prevent them from being an obscure character. If anything it makes it more likely.

Nobody who isn't a die-hard comic fan knows who The Ray is. That's fine. That doesn't make him a bad character but it's true. B'Wana Beast at bare minimum got a series of episodes about him on Brave and the Bold culminating in his death. Someone who doesn't read comics has a chance of knowing who he is. The most The Ray ever got was a small part in a B&B episode where he's barely a character) and cameos in JLU where he literally never has a single line meaning he gets less onscreen time than Vigilante.

In final crisis he was used as a way to communicate with people, he had a tiny part. In JSA he also did not show up that much as he just showed up and then part of the team that was massacred in Crisis on Infinite Earth.