Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I guess what messes me up with him is i use the shield and great hammer a lot and Victor doesn't have any weapons to wade into a swarm with.

His greatsword works for it but so does the rapier if you get swishy with it and time pushes well. Plus if you get the height right you'll get a lot of headshots with it and it does Bad Things to rats with headshots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The only downside of the rapier is it doesn't look nearly as funny when you're using it yourself as when someone else is using it. He just wobbles this tiny strip of metal around vaguely in the rats' direction and then somehow all their heads just fly off.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mzbundifund posted:

The only downside of the rapier is it doesn't look nearly as funny when you're using it yourself as when someone else is using it. He just wobbles this tiny strip of metal around vaguely in the rats' direction and then somehow all their heads just fly off.

Saltzpyre's disapproving glare can decapitate someone, it checks out.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

The wizard's tower shouldn't have any illusion for Saltzpyre because killing hundreds of rats is his paradise.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
start, 0:00 min

ok this seems fine

*hangs at PREPARE YOURSELVES when starting a match for a full minute for no reason*

"what the poo poo"

10:00 min in Drachenfels for a Rat Ogre quest

"Oh the game display looks a bit nicer. Subtitles look professional now, screen and UI seems cleaner, hagbane has a different effect this ain't going so ba-"

:siren:*super speed crash*

That's the Vermintide I know. Why am I not surprised.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I guess I'm lucky because Vermintide always seemed pretty stable to me. Disconnects were a problem early on but I think I've only crashed 3 or 4 times.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Nanomashoes posted:

The wizard's tower shouldn't have any illusion for Saltzpyre because killing hundreds of rats is his paradise.

I thought that was also Bardin's paradise, judging from his commentary?

Now that I think about it, why does the Wizard's Tower show them anything? They're all basically in paradise hacking down rats, with maybe the exception of Kerillan.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

LuiCypher posted:

Now that I think about it, why does the Wizard's Tower show them anything? They're all basically in paradise hacking down rats, with maybe the exception of Kerillan.

Bardin's is a giant treasure room full of gold,

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

LuiCypher posted:

Hacking down rats is only 1/3 of the holy dorf trifecta. It needs more gold and beer.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
dwarven legal systems in warhammer literally have allotments for gold driving an otherwise respectable dwarf temporarily insane so this checks out as well

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Game soft locked when turning in a quest. Restart, same thing Turning in a rat ogre kill quest with the reward of 1h increased stagger time.

Why does the game have to pause for a loving minute when starting a map from the inn?

AI still as bad as ever, somehow feels way worse.

wow they hosed with the level design on drachenfels a bit. getting stuck in certain places more.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 7, 2016

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Night10194 posted:

Hacking down rats is only 1/3 of the holy dorf trifecta. It needs more gold and beer.

Fatshark please mod Bardin's paradise to be a room full of gold with fountains of beer. tia.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Yeah I got an orange one of those too. It's slow and doesn't sweep everything in front of you so I haven't figured out how to get anything done with it.

Rapier is no poo poo a legit good weapon though? The spam attack is super fast and hits a fairly good number of rats in a swing, allowing you to stunlock shitlings with it (which is way more important in the harder difficulties than you would think). It has a super fast charge attack which, when combined with Headshot actually makes it good at dealing with armored enemies like Stormvermin.

Like, the only bad melee weapon Saltzpyre has is the hand axe, and that's more a factor of it being bat at killing slaverats by the dozen, it's actually really good for turbo murdering stormvermin and the roger.

For the ranged options, the only bad option he's got is the repeater pistol, since it does what the brace does only shittier. If it had Armor piercing or something that'd be a different story. The crossbow (both for him and for the dwarf) get poo-pooed a lot because it's not the coach gun murdersniper, but it does as much damage and pierces enemies and reloads faster than the handgun, so I actually find it a bit more versatile in general use situations.

Salty's claymore is really good too, the charged attack has excellent sweep to it and it, like the hammers for the dwarf and sergeant, can be used to great effect once you get a feel for the cadence of the charge attacks.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 7, 2016

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Victor's problem is he doesn't get the trueflight longbow so basically remove the elf from the game and it's great.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Crossbows do not do equal damage to handguns. Compared to an orange handgun, an orange crossbow on nightmare takes another bodyshot to kill every kind of special except hook rats, and I believe two extra body shots for gas rats. It doesn't even knock off gutter runners that are on someone, unlike almost every other ranged weapon in the game (but weirdly, it can stagger gunners out of firing).

But its still way better than the repeater and brace of pistols once you get master crafted and ammunition holder on it. Gets about equal fire rate as the brace's left click with multiple hits of built in penetration and far more damage.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I guess what messes me up with him is i use the shield and great hammer a lot and Victor doesn't have any weapons to wade into a swarm with.

Victor is a little different than a sword and board character. He's a hit-and-run character, relying on dash and parry to avoid damage. 'Wading' into swarm with Victor is not a fantastic idea; instead you want to stick to the edges, stunning rats with rapid whacks of the rapier and poking specials directly in the skull with a charge attack. The rapier being one of the fastest weapons in the game, Victor is very good at locking rats down and grouping them together and I find that he pairs fabulously with the pyromancer.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Wading into the swarm is always a good idea, are you kidding me?

Though to be fair when you're not hosting it's got potential to be bad and then there are really bad weapons like the 1h axe which prevent this but using weapons without good crowd control is a bad idea.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Lunethex posted:

Wading into the swarm is always a good idea, are you kidding me?

Though to be fair when you're not hosting it's got potential to be bad and then there are really bad weapons like the 1h axe which prevent this but using weapons without good crowd control is a bad idea.

I saw you with the glaive on the elf bitch, don't try to deny it.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Well it was fun to play again after so long but the quest board is unusable for me. Turns out it's not just turning it in that caused it, if I load the quest board, leave the board, then open it again, it gets stuck in an infinite loop.

I also still can't venture a guess as to why when you start the game up and load up the first map of the session, it pauses at "prepare yourselves' for a good minute. It doesn't happen on subsequent Inn-to-map selections. It has nothing to do with load time, that's for sure. Also people tried to join during that and I got hit with the "so and so has joined the game > so and so has left the game" spam.

Shame. I really wanted to see how the boons worked

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I'm really having fun with this game but it's crashed back the PSN dashboard 4 times since I bought it Monday night. Same for my buddy

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I love the brace of pistols as much as anyone, but it really loses effectiveness on Nightmare and Cataclysm, when you can no longer one-shot clan rats with it.

For dedicated Stormvermin killing (burst) and the Rat Ogre (normal shots) the repeater pistol is better.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

You can one shot clan rats with a bodyshot on nightmare with a brace of pistols/rapier pistol. Still completely serviceable there.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

To whoever asked about the framerate on the console version. It runs perfectly fine. At least i've not run into any problems with it yet.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

sounds like the console release and this game in general is a loving disaster

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

It's real fun to play.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
lunethex is running a beta thing on a pc made from hobo parts and heroin or something

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
just got console(ps4) version. it runs well enough but there a decent amount of screen cut off(text cutoff and some weapon cut off and no screen slider) that and just hickups all the time. other then that and some sluggeshness its fine.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah I ran the beta with no crashes or hangs.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Lunethex has posted about getting multiple crashes an hour before while I've gotten maybe 2 crashes total in the last several months of regular playing, which seems to be about what most people experience

Death On Toast
Aug 2, 2006
The better half of the Brothers Douche.
been experimenting a bit with weapons recently.

Since someone mentioned the 1h mace (no shield edition) for the soldier, I gave that a whirl. The charge attack is solid for picking off stormvermin and other single targets, but the normal attack wasn't doing much for me, mostly due to the swing combination-- the first two swings in the combo do a really good job of knocking back swarms, but the next two swings are mostly vertical and so wind up hitting only a single target, and then there's enough of a pause to restart the attack combo that you can't do nearly as well staggering swarms as with either the greathammer or the sword/shield. Which is a shame, really, since I thought the whole point of the mace was to be a high knockback weapon to stagger groups of enemies. Mixing in blocks/pushes to reset the combo to be able to repeat those first two swings helped, but I still felt it was weaker than my greathammer or sword/shield.

I tried the 2-handed sword on Victor, and couldn't really make it work for me. I really want to like it for the high damage sweeping attacks, but with Victor's height coupled with the angle of the swing, I felt like aiming for headshots on the charge attack meant that I was swinging over rats heads, and aiming lower resulted in not dealing enough damage to mow through hordes.

Right now on Victor I'm running a rapier/volley crossbow setup that I'm really liking. Rapier has scavenger, regrowth on normal attack, and perfect balance, volley has extra capacity, regrowth, and hail of doom. Volley crossbow also benefits from the bug where hail of doom shots do not consume ammunition, and between that and have 21 arrows to work with per reload, you can absolutely murder roger. Also, with scavenger and the rapier's bonus pistol, I find myself using ranged attacks for general purpose far more often, rather than being in the mindset of "better save this for roger/just in case bad stuff happens," which I think helps a fair bit overall. Couple things on the rapier: you can run at full speed while swinging the normal attack, which makes it great for being the rear guard, or changing position during fights. Against swarms, I find myself letting Kruber/Bardin more or less hold the center with their big crowd control weapons, while I work to kill rats sneaking in from the sides.

Also, on brightwizard, I swapped flaming sword for normal sword, and noticed an immediate improvement. Normal sword charged attacks are just a fraction quicker, and that seems to make all the difference in the world. Also, headshot is probably more effective overall than setting everything on fire, with the unfortunate downside of not setting everything on fire.

And yeah, orange brace of pistols does kill clans in one hit on nightmare, but I think the blue does not.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Dapper_Swindler posted:

just got console(ps4) version. it runs well enough but there a decent amount of screen cut off(text cutoff and some weapon cut off and no screen slider) that and just hickups all the time. other then that and some sluggeshness its fine.

Yeah I had a similar issue, had to adjust my TV's settings to fix it

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah I had a similar issue, had to adjust my TV's settings to fix it

I already have it a 1080p and max.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

The game crashed a lot less for me when I started cooling my graphics card better.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Same experience here, playing elf I really wish someone else would handle the armored rats.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I keep wanting to handle the armored rats but then someone owns them right away.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I do alright charge stabbing them in the head with rapier but I definitely don't try to tank them with that.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Liver Disaster posted:

Same experience here, playing elf I really wish someone else would handle the armored rats.

Play with a dorf who uses the blue coach gun (me). He will ruin the poo poo out of every stormvermin's day and give zero fucks about them. Then you can have fun killing everything else!

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

What's the best way to handle Rat Ogres? It seems like they way way waaaaay to much health to get down in a quick amount of time.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

What's the best way to handle Rat Ogres? It seems like they way way waaaaay to much health to get down in a quick amount of time.

Drink a strength potion (do it first because it boosts all damage), throw a bomb to stun it, dump in with your ranged weapons or melee if you have a good one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The easiest way to kill roger is to shut him down with bullshit fast enough that it doesn't actually matter whether you're good at fighting him or not. To shut him down quickly:
  • Strength potions are the key. Save strength potions for roger unless you have to fight a stormvermin patrol or are otherwise in a do-or-die emergency.
  • The hagbane is the #1 roger killer in the game. If the elf has the hagbane and a strength potion, just get out of her way and focus on keeping normal rats off of her for 10 seconds.
  • Someone with the potion-share trinket using a strength potion, then everyone throwing bombs, makes for a good alpha strike.
  • Heroic killing blow + a speed potion gives you a decent shot at instakilling him, although it's reliant on luck so don't expect it to work every time.
  • If roger is in an enclosed space like a narrow tunnel and gets hit with a regular bomb, the game doesn't always know where to knock him back and he'll instantly die. Firebombs don't knock him over so only try this with normal bombs.

If none of these conditions apply (like if you have no hagbane and roger attacked 1 minute into the game before you have any items) then dig in for the long haul:
  • Fight somewhere where you have a lot of room to maneuver.
  • Prioritize killing normal rats and specials over hitting roger.
  • Roger has a sweep/punch that can be blocked, and an overhead slam that can not be blocked. If he's going after you, just focus on staying alive by holding block and dashing backward. Don't go for greedy hits and prioritize getting rid of normal rats that will get in the way of your maneuver zone before hitting roger. Only go for hits in between his attacks if there are no other rats nearby.
  • Bomb throws can be staggered to keep roger on the ground for a long time.

• Locked thread