Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crap
Nov 3, 2012

is that honestly what you got out of all this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

I just remembered I did this! I made a RX-78 Gundam using palettes from Rondo of Blood and with the BELMONT STRUT.
it's my firm belief we should all draw cute monsters. I'm making it my goal to at the very least draw cute frankenstein before the month is out. (maybe a mummy or werewolf too?)

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
my fave thing is pretending that me liking a video game's characters despite its flaws is the same as only actively drawing and producing things with those same flaws, except worse

like wtf am I gonna do go yell at blizzard about their character designs? they're doing pretty good as far as representation of different races and body types go as well as listening to people's criticisms. I'm not gonna flip out if a few of the women are skinny because 1) they have normal cartoon proportions you'd see on a disney character, not huge anime fetish tits, not even the sexy spy and 2)that is NOT THE ONLY BODY TYPE DISPLAYED

you're trying to say because I like something problematic my criticism is invalid. that's not how it works.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Crap posted:

is that honestly what you got out of all this

Yes, but not at first. I understood where you were coming from and understood the point you were making right away. But then it was about day 4 of this past week that I began to wonder why you couldn't just let it go and perhaps I should feel bad but also continue doing what I want because it's not my problem.

Hey so what I meant about the pixel texture is remembering to account for the pixels of yore being three distinct strips of R G and B. If you color pick in photoshop, it will give you a breakdown of a color according to RGB. Your pixel art is in 3x3 squares so that lends itself to this already.

For each strip, zero out the other two values in RGB.

White you kind of have to lie and lighten it a bit, but for the other colors I went and did a straight R G B strip in columns of three.

Old scanlines were also varied in brightness in each bar. You can play with this, but I made the middle of the three vertical pixels the brightest.

I also tried making the lowest of the three vertical pixels the brightest, so that instead of dark - light - dark you get more of a gradient effect.

Anagram of GINGER fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 7, 2016

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

No I'm trying to say 'pick a lane'. My lane is that it's not problematic.

Oh and that Disney is not the kaiser of all things good taste.

Scribblehatch fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 7, 2016

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Crap posted:

here is a small collection i have curated for you

Has this poo poo really been going on for a year? A WHOLE loving YEAR? for what? a few to many pictures of robots with tits and what, not enough realistic depictions of women? I hate that word by the way. when people say they want realism they just mean TV attractive. an average person is to average to stand out character wise so you exaggerate features. Character design 101. If all of your characters look the same than that's a problem but it is NOT objectification it's laziness. Its why 90% of anime is trash made on shoestring budgets. if the only defining characteristic of a character is they are sexy purple french woman then that's a whole nother problem.

Now if you want to fight over some boobs here are some boobs

Fun fact, that last one was a request from my mother. Yes she wanted a big titted bird woman. Yes that's weird, but so is my mom but I love her anyway.

The point is this whole discussion is entirely subjective. Some guys hate this stuff, some women love it. Is there broader sociological problems with how we depict women in media. Yes. but i don't go around telling women in cosplay to put more clothes on or to eat a sandwich, why say that about someone's drawing? If the goal of this is more diverse depictions of woman then shut up or step up.

...or should I mention i'm the only person drawing poc in this whole drat thread?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Troposphere posted:

my fave thing is pretending that me liking a video game's characters despite its flaws is the same as only actively drawing and producing things with those same flaws, except worse

like wtf am I gonna do go yell at blizzard about their character designs? they're doing pretty good as far as representation of different races and body types go as well as listening to people's criticisms. I'm not gonna flip out if a few of the women are skinny because 1) they have normal cartoon proportions you'd see on a disney character, not huge anime fetish tits, not even the sexy spy and 2)that is NOT THE ONLY BODY TYPE DISPLAYED

you're trying to say because I like something problematic my criticism is invalid. that's not how it works.

For the record I can totally understand liking a character despite its design faults. Especially when it comes to female characters in media, since there are so many awful ones you aren't exactly spoiled for choice.

Widowmaker is just pretty much my first thought when it comes to female objectification since she's the embodiment Blizzard's corrupted sniper fetish.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I've been mostly over this poo poo for a long while now, i just want to poke fun at troposphere and crap every now and then. elsa and scribble though...
hm.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I'm not really on Scribble's side either. My comments have been for both parties. You have to understand that what you do can be inappropriate depending on the context. Hurtful, even. But this is not that setting.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Colon Semicolon posted:

I've been mostly over this poo poo for a long while now, i just want to poke fun at troposphere and crap every now and then. elsa and scribble though...
hm.

*covers face in poo poo*

Now see, I just wanna make fun of the people laughing at me for covering my face in poo poo

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I answered your questions dork and I did a good enough job of it that you didn't have anything to say about it.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Colon Semicolon posted:

I answered your questions dork and I did a good enough job of it that you didn't have anything to say about it.

Probably because I wasn't asking you those questions.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Alaois posted:

Probably because I wasn't asking you those questions.

well scribble's never gonna try to acknowledge anything so SOMEBODY has to actually try here

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
what do you even mean by covering my face in poo poo like is there a problem with being self aware to the fact i'm a weirdo and not caring??

Crap
Nov 3, 2012

as long as scribblescratch only draws that one body type for women i am going to comment on it, it's not some grudge or obsession, it's critique

it's much weirder to me that a year later he still obstinately refuses to even try it, although i wan't expecting him to try and redefine the nature of critique and art to justify him never trying this time around

shitpostmodern
Oct 30, 2015

OmanyteJackson posted:

...or should I mention i'm the only person drawing poc in this whole drat thread?

Technically you're the only person posting drawings of poc in this thread. I'm drawing them, but the only thing I've posted so far is a speed sketch/crap shading version of my avatar. I would very much like to post my regular work up in here, but it's going to take some mental gymnastics to goad me into it for reasons that become apparent if you look at my post history in E/N. :/

Until then, I'm happy to help other people who want feedback, I guess.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

OmanyteJackson posted:

*Raises hand*

Uhhh... you're not? I just posted one a couple pages back, though I wouldn't be surprised if you missed it amongst all the moronic slapfighting.

I plan on only doing poc in my art for the foreseeable future, there's already plenty of wipipo art out there, I don't need to add to it.

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Troposphere posted:

like wtf am I gonna do go yell at blizzard about their character designs?

I mean, you could? it's how we got Zarya, Mai, and the grandma one.

But seriously, dude, out of the entire diverse cast of doctors and scientists of different heights, shapes and colors, you pick the purple one with a slightly smaller than average cup size? (her porportions are not normal, disney porportions aren't normal). I'm not saying you're wrong for liking her, but just because she doesn't have big boobs doesn't mean she isn't sexualized. Bayonetta is pretty much the same body type.

I love that game on just about every level but I know it has problems. I acknowledge my biases. I could list characters that are sexualized in different ways, say she's empowered... all kinds of bullshit. But in the end, she is a bunch of polygons made buy a bunch of dudes for an audience primarily consisting of dudes. I'm willing to overlook it but i don't dismiss others if they don't.

I'm arguing with you because I agree with you 99.9% of the way but you SUCK at convincing people to your way of thinking.

Crap posted:

as long as scribblescratch only draws that one body type for women i am going to comment on it, it's not some grudge or obsession, it's critique

it's much weirder to me that a year later he still obstinately refuses to even try it, although i wan't expecting him to try and redefine the nature of critique and art to justify him never trying this time around

That's such a useless critique. if it actually was one. almost on the "i don't like that color" level.

Maybe try:

"Would the character be better served with a different build?"
"If the magic user is supposed to be wise, why not try depicting her as an older woman, here are some references..."
"It looks like the goddess your depicting is from a tropical island, have you considered a darker complexion to make her look more believable?"

Instead of:

"They all look like barbies, draw something else."

Which one sounds more helpful?

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

Crap posted:

Talim seems different enough from Marin, who seems differently enough from Allenby.

But they're not blatantly heavy, right? That's the issue we're having?

Well this one seems sorta heavy. You can't really tell since she's dressed conservatively. So I'll just assure you she is.

Happy?

quote:

it's much weirder to me that a year later he still obstinately refuses to even try it,
Buckaroo, you have not seen the 90% of things I just don't upload anywhere. Entire sketchbooks and stacks of index cardstock, .psd files, .sai files and .lip files that no one but I have seen. You're projecting. You don't know the first thing about what I've tried or intend. All you know is the siamese island goddesses had four large breasts between them. Bam, that's what camp I'm in forever for you unless I toe your very specific invisible checklist. Again, you made not one peep about the geomancer, squire, knight or priest from earlier. Just as you won't make a peep about Agrias here.

Life is short tho. Bury.

OmanyteJackson posted:

--Shotgun!

quote:

Technically you're the only person posting drawings of poc in this thread. I'm drawing them, but the only thing I've posted so far is a speed sketch/crap shading version of my avatar.

quote:

I plan on only doing poc in my art for the foreseeable future, there's already plenty of wipipo art out there, I don't need to add to it.
I'm pretty sure that was meant as a playful ribbing, given the course of this conversation. Not to be taken as a sleight like this.

Edit: --And wait a sec, he forgot Talim anyway!
And Sakura Kinomoto is assuredly japanese.

Scribblehatch fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Oct 7, 2016

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
OmanyteJackson on point af

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Colon Semicolon posted:

OmanyteJackson on point af

ugh don't make these posts unless you're trying to aggravate someone by calling attention to someone else being "on your side."

It's happened on the DL for the last couple pages but I expect more from you

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Elsa posted:

ugh don't make these posts unless you're trying to aggravate someone by calling attention to someone else being "on your side."

It's happened on the DL for the last couple pages but I expect more from you

There's even a word for it (cheerleading) and it's a probatable offense in D&D

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

OmanyteJackson posted:

Except that I've been posting drawings of POC for all of October so far?

Here, have another (super lovely) one. I just could not find the time to get this idea working properly today.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

OmanyteJackson posted:

Maybe try:

"If the magic user is supposed to be wise, why not try depicting her as an older woman, here are some references..."
"It looks like the goddess your depicting is from a tropical island, have you considered a darker complexion to make her look more believable?"

Instead of:

these are all saying exactly the same thing as the first one, they sound nicer but in the end a valid critique is a valid critique no matter how politely it's said, and it's the artist's job to deal with it.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
I don't like widowmaker because she's titty spy woman I like her because I like tragic evil characters, especially when they're women, and the fandom has done a lot of cool things with her and made her something beyond her creator's corruption fetish :) that's the fun thing about fanworks

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

OmanyteJackson posted:

Has this poo poo really been going on for a year? A WHOLE loving YEAR? for what? a few to many pictures of robots with tits and what, not enough realistic depictions of women? I hate that word by the way. when people say they want realism they just mean TV attractive. an average person is to average to stand out character wise so you exaggerate features. Character design 101. If all of your characters look the same than that's a problem but it is NOT objectification it's laziness. Its why 90% of anime is trash made on shoestring budgets. if the only defining characteristic of a character is they are sexy purple french woman then that's a whole nother problem.

Now if you want to fight over some boobs here are some boobs

Fun fact, that last one was a request from my mother. Yes she wanted a big titted bird woman. Yes that's weird, but so is my mom but I love her anyway.

The point is this whole discussion is entirely subjective. Some guys hate this stuff, some women love it. Is there broader sociological problems with how we depict women in media. Yes. but i don't go around telling women in cosplay to put more clothes on or to eat a sandwich, why say that about someone's drawing? If the goal of this is more diverse depictions of woman then shut up or step up.

also a woman who is cosplaying has agency and has made that decision to dress and look a certain way. a drawing does not have that.

and I enjoy your drawings! I think they're good! I don't think you have the issues I've critiqued at all. but saying you're the only one in here that draws poc is lol as is your assumption the people complaining aren't doing their part to draw diverse art

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Alaois posted:

There's even a word for it (cheerleading) and it's a probatable offense in D&D

oh, good call. I thought cheerleading was an ironic term for talking poo poo about someone when they're not in the conversation. Your version makes more sense

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

Troposphere posted:

I don't like widowmaker because she's titty--
Look, we might agree on everything but the ATTITUDE. You got 5 words in before something bitter stained the rest of the statement! You don't seem to have a 'live and let live' mode and that's huge. Do you find Red Sonja and Red Sonja clones, as well as their pinups, extremely boring? Well SO DO I. Do you find Queen's Blade trashy and low quality spankfodder? SO DO I.

It should be enough to say that a marketplace has been saturated with one thing that it's BORING now. That's why you abandon it when it bores you! They do get the hint when the interest dries up. It's really the only way, because vocal boycotts BACKFIRE. The boycott of Chik Fil A when they were in hot water was a disaster. Business skyrocketed for them. All aggressive boycotts typically go this way.

Now, do you have any opinion on my Agrias Oaks in progress?

Troposphere posted:

but saying you're the only one in here that draws poc is lol as is your assumption the people complaining aren't doing their part to draw diverse art
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xECUrlnXCqk

Poe's Law, I guess.

Scribblehatch fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 7, 2016

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there
Does anyone do drawing on a phone or tablet? I just got an iPhone 6S+ and realized what I can do with a stylus. Any recommended apps?

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
... maybe I'll just post some dudes for now.

This is mostly done minus some cleanup work. It will be a unit portrait for a game project, so ultimately viewed quite small.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I'm redoing Widow's visor because the perspective is poo poo, and completely redoing Tracer's face pose because the perfect profile view is a cop-out. Then I'm hoping to get a good amount of work done on Tracer's outfit, maybe all of it. Then I'll be ready to start the refined linework in a fresh pass.

Tattoo is a result of browsing the PYF tattoo thread:

Thin Privilege posted:

Personally, I love spaghetti/noodles

My search for spaghetti tattoos led me down this bizarre path thanks to google's weird algorithm.

Scoss posted:

... maybe I'll just post some dudes for now.

This is mostly done minus some cleanup work. It will be a unit portrait for a game project, so ultimately viewed quite small.

Oh wow yes

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Troposphere posted:

I don't like widowmaker because she's titty spy woman I like her because I like tragic evil characters, especially when they're women, and the fandom has done a lot of cool things with her and made her something beyond her creator's corruption fetish :) that's the fun thing about fanworks

That's great! and i wouldn't doubt it, you're able to divorce the characters history and design from what you like about her. I have cousin is really into anime, and also really into cosplay (I blame myself, i gave her a copy of kingdom hearts when she was 12 and i basically doomed the girl) She only dressed as characters she likes and one that she likes is Yoko from Gurren Lagann who looks like this

She thinks she's a cool character. I have my own opinions about characters like this but my opinion isn't important. Like you said, she has the agency, she chose *this* character. Elsa has the agency to draw Tracer x Widowmaker. Colon has the agency to draw robot Tracer x Widowmaker. and Scrib has the agency to draw Tracer x Widowmaker as final fantasy tactics characters with bigger boobs or whatever. I think it's a bad Idea to presume that just one kind of objectification is empowering, but another kind isn't. and i think it's even worse to think just because your interpretation of the character is not objectified doesn't mean it ceases to be so.

I'm just asking Please, try not to be so quick to judge is all I'm saying. A little empathy goes a long way in changing someone's mind :)

gmc9987 posted:

these are all saying exactly the same thing as the first one, they sound nicer but in the end a valid critique is a valid critique no matter how politely it's said, and it's the artist's job to deal with it.

Good critique isn't about shutting people down or saying "don't do that" it's about finding out what the artist seeks to accomplish and offering suggestions on how to do accomplish it. there is good Crit in this thread i just wish it wasn't buried in poo poo.

InevitableCheese posted:

Does anyone do drawing on a phone or tablet? I just got an iPhone 6S+ and realized what I can do with a stylus. Any recommended apps?

I have a note 5, but I think sketchbook pro is on Iphone too. It's a decent mobile version of the desktop app.

Crap
Nov 3, 2012

OmanyteJackson posted:

That's such a useless critique. if it actually was one. almost on the "i don't like that color" level.

Maybe try:

Instead of:

the wording doesn't matter because scribblescratch will attempt to rewrite history to justify not listening

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

loving YIKES. I was optimistic after his post, too. I can and can't believe you just did that.

Mulligan?

Crap
Nov 3, 2012

OmanyteJackson posted:

I'm just asking Please, try not to be so quick to judge is all I'm saying.

OmanyteJackson posted:

Has this poo poo really been going on for a year? A WHOLE loving YEAR?

pick one

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I dislike the way you argue. When people will do that in a thread where several people can fact check or see you're just unreasonable, you probably do the same one-on-one. You just can't talk to people like that. Please don't be that way. You're just saying whatever you can to preserve your opinion, and in that case there's no point to a discussion.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

Alright well.

That was pretty fun.

TeaMaestro
Sep 21, 2015

shitpostmodern posted:

I have to ask--when you did your initial sketch for this, did you draw the naked form under the clothes and then draw the clothes once the anatomy was settled? Or did you just go straight to the clothes without constructing the figure first? I ask because the clothing feels less drawn around an existing figure and more like a paper doll outfit resting on top of it. If you're just going straight to clothing, the obvious solution is to do construction before that, but if you are doing construction, it's less of a simple additional step that needs work. I'd be interested to see the sketch before it was inked, I guess.

Well, it's a paper doll type concept, so yes. I've started of no clothes first before putting them on, mainly because I was working on for a webcomic and there are scenes where the character in the question doesn't wear uniform. So I make paperdolls concepts, so I can create dozen of variants of clothing without having to redo the whole thing. I been abusing layers to do this a lot.

But that's only for character references, but for other instances, like scenes or webcomic pages, I'd go straight to clothing after I've nailed down the basic structure.

Admittedly, you're right. Because of that scheme, it does feel less natural and more tacked on, like an actual paperdoll.

I would definitely post a progress so you can see, but the problem is she's naked and it's not on this computer I'm typing on. I need to go on to my main pc and put censor bars first, because I'm not comfortable posting nudity, unless it's within a webcomic or a one-shot scene. I only started off nudity because I want to work on the basic body type first. That means turning a character from a script into a visual realisation. For example, if that person was from a knightly order of magi peacekeepers, how she would be different from a regular joe who is just got sucked into the secret world of mages, etc. That sort of thing.

It's a strange way to work with, I know.

Edit: I forgot to mention I have different ways to approach my work, depending on the time of day and what I'm working on at the time.

TeaMaestro fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Oct 8, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So working on a drawing, I'm stumped at how to go about conveying depth and lighting in it.

As I was coloring this in I realized I didn't like how the orb looked, which is supposed to be the light source in the pic. I'm not sure how to give a sphere 3D depth when its the light source. Maybe when I did the shading on the spider it would help but I feel like there's gotta be something I'm just missing. Thoughts?

VVV Thanks!

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Oct 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatJob
Jul 6, 2008

You did a Great Job™!

Internet Kraken posted:

So working on a drawing, I'm stumped at how to go about conveying depth and lighting in it.

As I was coloring this in I realized I didn't like how the orb looked, which is supposed to be the light source in the pic. I'm not sure how to give a sphere 3D depth when its the light source. Maybe when I did the shading on the spider it would help but I feel like there's gotta be something I'm just missing. Thoughts?

Like this:

1. Centralize the highlight inside of the orb, and make it pure white if you have to.

2. Intensify the purple around the edge of the orb, make it super dark and saturated.

3. Make the spider super dark so it contrasts with the orb's glow more dramatically.

4. Put some pink orb highlights around the edges of the spider nearest the orb, the spider is the key to making the orb look glowy because glow effects rely heavily on bouncing light. Also highlight the part of the spider nearest to the middle of the orb with white or whatever is your brightest color.

5. Possibly consider a dark background color (not shown)

5. ????

6. Glowing orb with a spider on it