Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Jonathan Fisk posted:

There are like two living heroes in dcu right now, and neither would be inclined to be a hit squad to cover up a government plan to create a safeguard against themselves.

Enchantress is clearly an accident that was mishandled and pretty much every major character mocks her for it. Note she wasn't really part of the squad itself anyway, she's just there as leverage for funding.

Are you the same person who keeps mocking me for taking fictional universes seriously? You're invoking an in-universe explanation for a storytelling choice.

They introduced a bunch of villains in the movie. No reason that couldn't be good guys instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
the only superhero movies that really work for me are those that embrace another genre as a whole, with the boyfights element as a backdrop. of course i love to see strong sweet boys in nice outfights wrestle to see who is strongest, but it doesn't hold my attention when that's all that's at play.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Pinterest Mom posted:

Are you the same person who keeps mocking me for taking fictional universes seriously? You're invoking an in-universe explanation for a storytelling choice.

They introduced a bunch of villains in the movie. No reason that couldn't be good guys instead.

No, I mock you applying real life political expectations to a world where the head of the military is a crazy immortal goblin man who wants to invade Asgard

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Further, the fact that there aren't enough human heroes to protect against alien threat on record serves as the primary motivation for assembling whoever exists even if they're crazy villains

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

BottleKnight posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMNFaAUs2mo

They put together a squad of villains for no real reason instead of a squad of heroes, and then the villain that they fight ended up being one of the people originally in the squad, but they still try to paint the person who created the whole operation as a smart, competent person instead of a complete idiot.

Is that chick wearing fake glasses?

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Mar 28, 2020

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Pinterest Mom posted:

:agreed:

Mr. F! posted:

Is that chick wearing fake glasses?

Probably?

edit:

EccoRaven posted:

the bob says that the extended cut of BvS is actually really good.

:agreed:

I'm actually sad I got the regular blu-ray of the ultimate edition now that I have a 4k blu-ray player. But there's no way I'm paying 30$ for the same movie again.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Again, it's explicitly stated in the movie why that isn't the case, even beyond the common sense aspect

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Suicide Squad was bad mainly because there was a horrible sepia filter over everything.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Millennials :rolleyes: smh

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Mafia opinion question: What is the dividing line between 'mini' games and 'large' games? (I was looking at the completed game list earlier and trying to figure out where a 15-player game would fit in.)

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Dumb action films should really stick to a very simple premise if they want to be successful. If characters need to explain things for more than like, 10 seconds then someone on the writing team hosed up.

Snow Piercer was iffy in terms of quality, but at least the premise was easy to grasp. John Wick was super duper stupid but "Man gets revenge for jerks killing his puppy" is pretty easy to follow as well.

Same with The Raid. Cops get to top of tower. End of story.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Max posted:

Dumb action films should really stick to a very simple premise if they want to be successful. If characters need to explain things for more than like, 10 seconds then someone on the writing team hosed up.

Snow Piercer was iffy in terms of quality, but at least the premise was easy to grasp. John Wick was super duper stupid but "Man gets revenge for jerks killing his puppy" is pretty easy to follow as well.

Same with The Raid. Cops get to top of tower. End of story.

Die hard is one of the best action movies ever and it's very simple

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Podima posted:

Mafia opinion question: What is the dividing line between 'mini' games and 'large' games? (I was looking at the completed game list earlier and trying to figure out where a 15-player game would fit in.)

13 and below is mini, 15 and above is large. 14 is an undefined, in-between, lawless region of chaos.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

14 is generally not a good number to run a game with.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Mr. F! posted:

Die hard is one of the best action movies ever and it's very simple

Yes it's quite good.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

BottleKnight posted:

13 and below is mini, 15 and above is large. 14 is an undefined, in-between, lawless region of chaos.

13 and below is mini, above 15 is large, 14 and 15 are usually considered mini.

it doesn't matter anymore, though, since the queue died.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

EccoRaven posted:

13 and below is mini, above 15 is large, 14 and 15 are usually considered mini.

it doesn't matter anymore, though, since the queue died.

#TeamQueue

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Jonathan Fisk posted:

It's a light, entertaining ensemble action flick that suffers from trying to do too much. A lot more forgivable than say bvs or age of ultron

we can agree on this

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
suicide squad shows that sometimes the most radical thing you can do is to follow the rules

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Wtf the panthers are so stupid. Why am I a fan of theirs

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

TMMadman posted:

Age of Ultron was bad?

Yeah it's pretty bad.

Like I mean it's still entertaining and poo poo if you like superheroes, it's just not a good movie, Most Marvel movies are shot really poorly.

Even as "comic book movies" they tend to fail in fully utilizing the superhero iconography and imagery.

There are some exceptions like a few of the iron man movies and the first two Captain America ones.

But like I like watching these guys i like fight bad guys I also like. so whatever

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Age of Ultron also has way more other issues that don't pop up in the other ones. That movie is a mess.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Is there a term you for things you think are bad in form and fail as a piece of work in that media, but you still think succeeds as entertainment and doesn't fall into guilty pleasure territory?

Because I feel like that for a lot of things.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Snooze Cruise posted:

Is there a term you for things you think are bad in form and fail as a piece of work in that media, but you still think succeeds as entertainment and doesn't fall into guilty pleasure territory?

Snooze Cruises

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Snooze Cruise posted:

"Entertainment"

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Retro Futurist posted:

"Entertainment"

Wanna co-mod a wifoa with me?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Retro Futurist posted:

"Entertainment"

that is too chunky and can refer to sports and activities, try again

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Snooze Cruise posted:

"I am utterly anhedonic"

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
because I like things I don't actually like things, make sense

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Mafia thread, I own the shirt Zeke wears on Survivor. Not like, the actual shirt, but I guess we have the same fashion sense.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Snooze Cruise posted:

because I like things I don't actually like things, make sense

You're right, it was a cheap and illogical crack. I just think you're overthinking it.

It doesn't fail as a piece of media if it succeeds as entertainment. The point of media and entertainment is to be critically acclaimed only as a means to get viewers to get money. So your definition doesn't make sense, because you can't fail as media but succeed as entertainment.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
What I'm saying is that it fails the form of media, not being media itself though? Does that make sense

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Snooze Cruise posted:

What I'm saying is that it fails the form of media, not being media itself though? Does that make sense

You mean things that are objectively bad but are entertaining anyways?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Mr. F! posted:

You mean things that are objectively bad but are entertaining anyways?

That's a guilty pleasure, which she said she isn't talking about.

So I don't know what niche is being identified here!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I dunno I might be crazy

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

I got good news today. My gma woke up in the hospital. Really really surprising.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I think she means things that are bad at being a specific kind of entertainment by whatever definitions you have of that form of media, but are still entertaining so you don't really call them bad.

Arguably walking simulators may fall into this category.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Mr. F! posted:

I got good news today. My gma woke up in the hospital. Really really surprising.

Great! I'm glad to hear it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I feel like there are just things I enjoy that don't fall into guilty pleasure but still gently caress up a lot of things and I wouldn't call it a good movie or whatever, just a good thing.