Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Peter David reportedly went on a 'gypsy' screed in an NYCC panel :/
http://panopticblast.tumblr.com/post/151446127869/okay-some-more-detail-on-the-peter-david-is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

This is the worst year ever.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Jesus Christ.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

What a loving bizarre tangent to go on. Jesus christ dude.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It's still (unfortunately) really common to see people use the word Gypsy.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

spooky like this! posted:

Yeah but this is a bit more than just ignorant use of the word.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

joehonkie posted:

That's actually the least offended I've been by the boy/girl toy divide in Happy Meals for a long time. At least the toys are all the same scale and theme and the girl and boy toys can be played with together. Usually it's "boys get a transformer that shoots and girls get a dolly."
Yeah, I mean, they're both superheroes. "Do you want a boy or girl superhero" is a pretty okay question to ask, I think?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

Society still has a long way to go, I see.

To be fair, the girls are based on an existing DC girl aimed franchise, although it's still pathetic that "girls in high school getting into wacky high school misadventures!" is automatically girly and the relatively normal action packed thing is for boys. It's like when George Lucas said he made his fairy princess movie as "Star Wars for girls".

Sidenote: Is that Batman with a sword? These toyetic animations are crazy awful, but I love the idea that their finally just going hogwild with merchandising and putting it in some media instead of just leaving the toys to have all these inexplicable additions and variants. When I was a kid I had like, eight different Batman toys wearing weird armor or whatever.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
That DC Super Hero girls is a good comic and a great line of toys.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'm confused, is the criticism for the toys that the boys line has the word action in it and the girls line doesn't?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ferrule posted:

That DC Super Hero girls is a good comic and a great line of toys.

I agree, I like it.

site posted:

I'm confused, is the criticism for the toys that the boys line has the word action in it and the girls line doesn't?

As was already noted it's not the worst toyline gender divide but it's still notable.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

WickedHate posted:

I agree, I like it.

As was already noted it's not the worst toyline gender divide but it's still notable.

Oh i just wanted to make sure that was what was being discussed and i didn't miss something with the toys themselves or something like that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The boy's toys are standard action figures in action poses and the girl's toys are barbie-type dolls with real hair so that is part of why I think it's lame. There's a very clear distinction between the toys for girls and the toys for boys.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It reinforces that superheroes doing superhero things are for boys and girls can only appreciate the genre if it's feminized and defanged.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

The boy's toys are standard action figures in action poses and the girl's toys are barbie-type dolls with real hair so that is part of why I think it's lame. There's a very clear distinction between the toys for girls and the toys for boys.

All I know is that that is a gigantic loving batarang.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Lurdiak posted:

As far as I can tell it just makes the girls toys better. I think the boys ones are also locked into an "action pose" which is also terrible.

I have not taken my son in to McDonald's recently but it would not be the first time he got the "girls" toy.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I've always wanted comb my Batman toy's luscious black hair and they never ever let me

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

spooky like this! posted:

Not as much as the basically everyday term 'gyp'

I can't imagine 'lame' and 'dumb' will ever be able to be scrubbed out of popular slang, but who needs 'gyp' any more? That should be as easy to raise consciousness about as the flippant 'gay' pejorative has been.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Oct 7, 2016

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Teenage Fansub posted:

I can't imagine 'lame' and 'dumb' will ever be able to be scrubbed out of popular slang, but who needs 'gyp' any more? That should be as easy to raise consciousness about as the flippant 'gay' pejorative has been.

My mom had us stop using the term 'gyp' decades ago, but I didn't realize gypsy was inappropriate. I thought not using gyp was like not using jew as a shorthand for cheapness.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Lurdiak posted:

Also the boys line comes with moulded masks while the girls line comes with glasses, a hairband, and a tiara.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

In America we have no idea that Romani is an ethnic group, I think. Most people think of gypsies as something like a cowboy or something you can be for Halloween that doesn't really exist anymore. A lot of us think of native Americans the same way. People are gradually becoming more aware of this but it's not like Europe where there's this violent hatred of them as a people and all these stereotypes about them. Like when I was a kid basically it meant "someone with a crystal ball and one of those bandanas on". Like I thought for years you could become a gypsy.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

I always heard "Rip" as in "what a rip (off). Later on I heard it explained as a nicer way of saying "Gyp"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Even 'Nicest Man Alive' Weird Al Yankovic has used the term 'gypped' repeatedly in his songs, it's really baked into our language but not antiquated enough that it's harmless like "dumb" is.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'll be honest and say it's one that I had to actively force myself to stop saying just because it took a while to put two and two together on the context.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I didn't even know gyped was based off gypsy until i was almost out of hs cuz i had never seen it spelled and not being familiar with the history of the romani never put it together

I also thought gypsies were supposed to be cool mystics as a kid and not a slur /whiteamerica

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Apparently even Ta-Nahesi Coates, at a completely separate panel, got a question about Romani characters and how he could change how comics approach them to which he said he had no sufficient answer for that. I guess the guy just went around to several panels asking about this. The panel was with Steve Orlando and Tee Franklin and was supposed to be on Race and Gender in comics and one report I read said that it was really awkward because it seemed like fans wanted them to just magically fix these things instantly as if they had some kind of power over the industry as a whole.

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have
Having been to panels like that, I can say it is only ever awkward like that or a weird preaching to the choir thing. I obviously support diversity in characters but those panels with the "fans" they attract are just odd.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

trashbuilder posted:

Having been to panels like that, I can say it is only ever awkward like that or a weird preaching to the choir thing. I obviously support diversity in characters but those panels with the "fans" they attract are just odd.

You don't really support diversity if you aren't interrogating random mildly famous about how they propose to solve every conceivable issue.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

joehonkie posted:

As far as I can tell it just makes the girls toys better. I think the boys ones are also locked into an "action pose" which is also terrible.

I have not taken my son in to McDonald's recently but it would not be the first time he got the "girls" toy.

I was really happy with how well received Super Hero Girls was on FCBD. I think it's a good start, and the toys for boys could take a cue. Give boys similar toys and comics, and then nobody will bat an eye when they merge.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

site posted:

I also thought gypsies were supposed to be cool mystics as a kid and not a slur /whiteamerica

This is honestly why 'gypped' and all will never be removed from common language.

When I tell people half my family is Roma (and then usually have to say 'gypsy, that's the name for gypsy') like half the people I've told it to, from childhood to literally last week, are surprised to learn those are real people and not either jokes or fantasy characters.

Like, I'm not happy with Roma representation, I want it to be something that's on people's radar, I think the crazy 'no gently caress you here's an urban legend that proves they're all filthy thieves' response is insane, but I also know it's almost impossible to get traction when most of the people in your country don't know you're an actual ethnic group and not invented by Hunchback or Dracula

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

trashbuilder posted:

The activist who was asking those questions at least sparked a debate about it online and raised awareness of the issue, which was probably what they wanted to achieve considering that it is an issue that a lot of Americans just genuinely don't know exists.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Here's Peter David's response given to Bleeding Cool.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/10/08/peter-david-talks-to-bleeding-cool-about-that-new-york-comic-con-panel/

He copies and pastes the old Bucharest article in there. The response picks up after the newspaper picture if you want to skip that part.

edit: and he's currently posting in the comments.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Oct 8, 2016

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Holy poo poo. That response Peter David types up is doubling down, blame shifting, attacks the guy who asked the question, and attacks Romanis again for "being homophobic."

What a bunch of garbage.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I used to really like Peter as a person. He could be preachy as hell, but I usually agreed with his core points on his blog. I'm a bleeding heart lefty, and up until this, he came off much the same.

gently caress.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Teenage Fansub posted:

Here's Peter David's response given to Bleeding Cool.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/10/08/peter-david-talks-to-bleeding-cool-about-that-new-york-comic-con-panel/

He copies and pastes the old Bucharest article in there. The response picks up after the newspaper picture if you want to skip that part.

edit: and he's currently posting in the comments.

how can a grown man in a professional job that involves interacting with the public be this stupid?

Like, this is when he's supposed to go 'aw gee sorry if my random racist rant offended, bye' and just slink away, not double down on saying 'ACTUALLY they are all human garbage and also hate gays!!!!'

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Tatum Girlparts posted:

how can a grown man in a professional job that involves interacting with the public be this stupid?

Like, this is when he's supposed to go 'aw gee sorry if my random racist rant offended, bye' and just slink away, not double down on saying 'ACTUALLY they are all human garbage and also hate gays!!!!'

What's funny is we could normally all agree the guy asking the question at every panel was kind of obnoxious and inappropriate, but Peter David is almost trying to be the bad guy here.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

WickedHate posted:

What's funny is we could normally all agree the guy asking the question at every panel was kind of obnoxious and inappropriate, but Peter David is almost trying to be the bad guy here.

no the guy wasn't. he is obviously being an activist and to get the plight of a oppressed people in the consciousness you need to disrupt. it is what LBGTQ and BLM have done.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Yeah, that's a good point.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

WickedHate posted:

not really at all. I mean I admit to being biased but I think there's zero wrong with an activist for a very poorly represented group asking 'so what about these guys' in a panel sucking itself off over diversity to begin with. I think the question sounded perfectly respectful (I admit I haven't actually heard it just read how people described it, maybe they were more obnoxious than it sounded) and it was a good question to ask.

But yea I do think we all agree regardless of how you feel about the question, Peter's taken it from 'uh ok maybe he was a little annoyed he felt his thing was being hijacked?' to 'oh no this dude just fuckin hates these people'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Hasn't David kinda not been the same since his stroke? Wouldn't be the first time a weird change like that has crept up

• Locked thread