Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'm dying. Help me. Please someone help me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

After the VP debate I was expecting Clinton's polling to drop a little bit, or at least her rising numbers getting blunted. Nope, she's still going up. I know it's just polls and poo poo, but it's still funny.

"That Mexican Thing" easily overshadowed any gains Pence could've otherwise made that night. And that's not including all the attack ad soundbytes he provided in his comments and lack of defending Trump, or outright stating Trump didn't say something that he's on video saying.

climboutonalimb posted:

As much as I hate to bring up the idiotic emails topic one thing I don't understand (and am afraid to look up for falling into a right wing media pandora's box) is what exact are the 30,000 missing (deleted?) emails. My uninformed assumption is that they are emails strictly personal and not subject to subpoena or legal discovery but if anyone has a non-crazy news article about it id love to read it

Most of them were already recovered from other sources, like the non-Clinton email servers they went to or came from, IIRC. But yes also it includes some of what you said. It's basically not actually 33k 'missing' emails and most of the ones the FBI did recover are irrelevant and :geno: as hell to any but the most insane Clinton haters.

Pick posted:

All of Clinton's deleted e-mails are her fighting about whether DS9 ripped of Babylon 5.

DS9 was the superior show either way.

Brony Car posted:

Hillary Cultists: what's your preferred response to the "any low level soldier/employee who handled classified information like Hillary did would have gotten court-martialed/arrested" argument.

This post I asked for a little while back sums it up well enough:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3778459&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=100#post460890609

Crain posted:

So, with the whole "Hillary used a PDA to order Drone Strikes" as the new chapter of the emailgateghazi-saga, I decided to ask my father what the hell was actually up with the whole thing. Specifically he is a CISO in a government Agency, has been a CIO, has been a webmaster, sys-admin, and most other computer and system security related title/job combos in the government since like the 70s. I know no one else who could have more experience with exactly what this is (As in literally out of all the people I personally know).

So the TL;DR he gave me was a break down of how FISMA (Federal Information Security Management Act) actually works in the day to day for basic users and higher ups (including Cabinet level positions). You may have heard or read this act mentioned in the OIG report that was link previously, it's a major consideration when it comes to whether or not Clinton did any wrong and whether or not what she did is actionable.

So here is how, as it was explained to me in very simple but flowery language, information security is supposed to work.

1) Thou shalt have a CIO. Every department, agency, regulatory agency, etc, whatever. If it's a stand alone entity it has to a CIO. The CIO is where the buck stops. When it comes to signing off on exceptions to FISMA and other security rules, it's up to the CIO to sign off on it.

2) Thou shalt have a CISO. You can have more than one, but you need at least one. The CISO generates a risk report based on what rules the end users want to ignore (because following all the rules of FISMA means you most likely cannot do your job if it involves a computer). Do you not want to do XYZ? Well the CISO figures out what the risks in that are. Then passes those risks onto the CIO to be approved.

3) Thou shalt have the Department of Commerce. Because reasons. These guys exist here to just tell the AO/DAA: "Yeah sure". They pass the buck.

4) Thou Shalt have a AO/DAA. The AO/DAA (Authorizing Officer/Designated Authorizing Authority), who is also a CIO, will...do the job of the CIO and sign off on approved ATOs (Authorization to Operate) because that's his job, but in this flow chart he is actually further down the list even though he's the head of the department.

So if you want to do something and it's against FISMA, which it most likely is, you go to your CISO. You say "Hey, we need this router to get a bunch of new hires online, but the WEP isn't working right. So can you sign off on this so we can use it anyway". So the CISO sits down and figures out all the ways that's a bad idea, all the rules you're violating, and then passes that up to the CIO to be approved/denied. If it's approved things move forward. Now if there is a Hack, the big men with guns, badges, and warrants show up, an IT investigator (forget the actual name for this guy) goes through what happened and goes through the list of official FISMA rules and goes "HEY! You didn't follow this rule! The Router wasn't protected right!". To that you say "I was given approval from the CIO to do this" and show the documents.

The men with badges now go to the CIO and ask "The gently caress!?". The CIO is now in trouble because he didn't follow FISMA rules. BUT! The next stage of the investigation is the FBI looking to see if this was done deliberately to facilitate said hack. They find nothing. But it was a criminal investigation. Now the punishment is simply having the funding revoked since the CIO did not spend the funding he was already given to adequately secure government systems. No one else gets in trouble, but they were all investigated.

Now what does this mean for Hillary? Well let's go back to what McAlister posted (sorry about the spelling I can't remember ). 1) The server was already existing prior to her becoming SoS, 2) She did attempt to enter into compliance for the server and blackberry she uses when she took office, and 3) the server was only for the unsecured .gov email, as far as any investigation has shown she has followed the procedure for accessing and using secured information. AKA: Used the burn rooms and skifs in compliance with stated rules like leaving blackberrys/devices outside of secure access rooms, etc.

Here is how that breaks down:

- If Hillary was doing this the CIO is in charge of stopping her. Even if rebuffed on it the CIO is who is responsible.
- Since Hillary did attempt to enter into compliance she is completely clear of any possible criminal charges. Hands down. She was not deliberately attempting to circumvent FISMA rules for the purpose of compromising security. And single 30 second meeting with the CIO of her asking "Can we secure and connect my mail server for work?" suffices. (if documented) ((it is documented)).
- Even if approval for bringing her server/blackberry into compliance was denied it is up to the CIO to stop her from accessing it and using it for work related activities. That's literally the CIO's Job. Caveat: That's if the CIO was aware of the situation. But: That is a weak stipulation since it is your job to know as CIO and The CIO(s) in question did know.

Final point about the Drone blackberry approvals: My father says there is a trump card to FISMA loosely known by "Beans, Blankets, and Bullets". Sometimes in a different order, sometimes with Bombs instead of Bullets. Basically: If it involves the Military and specifically the Military completing a mission then all rules are out. That's why you don't have soldiers calling in troop movements in emergency situations on unsecured lines getting in trouble with the FBI and some Military CIO, beyond just basic decency. So those drone approvals could have been sent by Western Union for all anyone cares.

Hope you found this extra bit of inside info from someone whose literal job it is/was to do this exact thing.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

So is the elextion over? It feels like it's over. Burial at the Town Hall on Sunday?

Ahahahaha, loving nope! 2016 election's never going to end!

Trump's either gonna double down on this or he's gonna say something absolutely insane on Sunday to shift the spotlight. Ryan and the GOP have no balls whatsoever, so they'll begrudgingly go along with this. Pence will lie that it ever happened, Ryan will claim that what really matters is tax code, and they'll all die a little inside as they go up on stage and tell America to give Trump their vote. We'll get a terrifying glimpse of Trump supporters think like when they start saying that the tape proves he's a real man. You will learn that tens of millions of your countrymen will still vote for him no matter what. And Trump will prove no matter what. He will torch his support until Texas looks purple and he'll keep on burning away.

No matter what happens, even if Nate Silver gives Hillary a 105% chance of victory, the election doesn't end for another month. Trump is not a reasonable man. He will not step down, he will not concede, and on November 8th, he'll probably claim the election was rigged.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I honestly can't figure out what the 'biggest bomb' would be. Like seriously at this point Trump has literally had treason on his plate, rape accusations, uncomfortably creepy moments with his daughter, admissions of pedophilia, threats of mass deportion, and arguments that we should execute innocent people. Like that's not "over the course of a campaign" that's "in the past 4 weeks." What the gently caress is the biggest bomb?
i have a theory:

Now, the Zodiac Killer was active from 1968 to 1974. Obviously, Ted Cruz isn't of an age to have committed those murders.

But Donald Trump? In 1968, Donald Trump was dodging the vietnam draft.

But that's just a coincidence, right? Let's look at some cold hard facts.

Fact Number One: the cadence

First, an excerpt from one of Zodiac's letters.

quote:

To prove I killed them I
shall state some facts which
only I + the police know.

Next, a donald trump tweet:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/781788223055994880

Fact Number Two: the signs

that's right:

Donald Trump is the zodiac killer.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

We'll all be dead before they put forward a Republican nominee worse than this one.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

RIP 2020

I mean, even more than it already was RIP'd

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

disjoe posted:

RIP 2020

Mike Pence ::: Bob Dole
2020 ::: 1996

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

disjoe posted:

RIP 2020

lol Pence will never get out of the primaries.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

dont even fink about it posted:

We'll all be dead before they put forward a Republican nominee worse than this one.
Black conservative family man Bill Cosby 2024.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

so, yeah - this is actually a lot worse than anything we've got him on tape saying before, by a long shot. this is going to hurt him, I can't imagine not seeing a drop among evangelicals and especially women

I'm not sure it's possible for Trump's support among women to drop further.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Your 2020 Republican Nominee

That Old Guy Jeff Dunham Puppet

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
Remember True Detective, when Rust makes Marty watch the tape of the King in Yellow's ceremony?
I fully expect such a tape of Trump to drop a few days before Election Day.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

So what are the odds that he didn't hear what Trump actually said before releasing this statement? He's gonna get a quick phone call from some advisor and be like "oh... Oh god no..."

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So what are the odds that he didn't hear what Trump actually said before releasing this statement? He's gonna get a quick phone call from some advisor and be like "oh... Oh god no..."
im sure he just heard 'trump said some sexual poo poo about women' and not the specifics

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

Antti posted:

Please proceed, Governor.

We need broad-shouldered leadership, from a man who's not afraid to grab someone right by the pussy.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm dying. Help me. Please someone help me.

Only whiskey can save us now.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

dont even fink about it posted:

I think it might be legitimately impossible.

Would David Duke himself have been worse?

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
They're going to have Steven Seagal for 2020 and its still going to be better than 2016.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

lozzle posted:

I think it might be legitimately impossible.

Would David Duke himself have been worse?

He apparently polls higher with minorities.

Holy poo poo though, Trump.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

there's only one man that can turn the republican party around in 2020:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlpLYBuTN04

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Minimalist Program posted:

They're going to have Steven Seagal for 2020 and its still going to be better than 2016.
Steven Seagal would help America shore up its east Asian alliances.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Is it too late to change debate moderators? Jerry Springer is seeming a more and more apt choice.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Armani posted:

Literally too late for that. This site has been heavily monitored for years and is going to be archived in an American library. This isn't hyperbole: you don't get >5 secret service visits, 3 murders, countless suicides, and 1 Interpol arrest on a mostly public Internet forum without eyes on you from now on.

Good job on the prediction, though. Is Scandinavia cool and do you want any Californian refugees

Wait what?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Thaddius the Large posted:

Is it too late to change debate moderators? Jerry Springer is seeming a more and more apt choice.
Howard Stern.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
So what does happen if a candidate resigns after early voting has begun?

Because Trump will not, but Pence might, if he's any sort of smart.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
"People say I'm the best at grabbing pussy. Just the best at it. I grab the best pussy. Really. really. And people here grab the pussy too. It's a wonderful thing. But Hillary doesn't want you to know that. It's true. And the media doesn't. "

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Sky Shadowing posted:

So what does happen if a candidate resigns after early voting has begun?

Because Trump will not, but Pence might, if he's any sort of smart.

Even a 1% chance of becoming Shadow President is too tempting for Pence, I figure.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

at the moment "grab her by the pussy" is out in front but im not sure if it has the memetic staying power of (check out sex tape)

Horrible poo poo doesn't need to be a catchy meme to grab people's attention. Not to mention there was already the "GOP plans to abandon Trump if he fucks up next debate" thing so this could easily seal it regardless of how much/little he fucks up there. If Trump's comments cost them only 1-3% of women voters that is catastrophic for pretty much every close Congressional race including their must-win Senate seats.

The odds of Trump getting blown out will increase but Dems retaking the senate might decrease if the seats in danger can distance themselves in a way to make up ground they lost due to Trump. Hopefully it backfires and the white wing base abandons them as traitors and cause the GOP to lose a few more seats that they shouldn't. :getin:

Nessus posted:

The Republicans will not abandon Trump because they perceive that they are doomed if they do not retake the Supreme Court.

If Trump looks like a lost cause, and to a lot of GOPers that will be the case if he bombs the debate again on Sunday, they will absolutely cut their losses and abandon him to try and keep control of the Senate since that lets them gently caress Clinton on appointments. They will abso-loving-lutely ignore her SCOTUS pick for the next 4 years if they think they can get away with it.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

What in the actual gently caress is with this loving election? Mainstream candidate is describing and has a history of sexual assault and no one out of the clowncar of fifteen other republicans could do better than him?

Trump is going to get loving wrecked in the debate. A woman is going to ask him if he thinks that his comments were appropriate and ask him for an apology. He'll blame other people for his comment and then never apologize because he seems to be incapable of apologizing for anything. Hillary will chaos dunk on him. She will loving wreck him and republican women and independents will abandon him and also turn out the democratic women's vote.

Trump is a mess.

Trump is a waste.

I want to travel into the future and get my hands on the postmortem. Not so I can read it mind you. Just so I can roll and smoke it. Or maybe mainline that poo poo. Trump has become fictional satire that walks, and he is so much larger and dumber than life that writers will have a hard time making anyone like him believable.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 7, 2016

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

PhazonLink posted:

Wait what?

Yeah I remember the murders and suicides and threats on the president's life, but I don't remember anyone being arrested by Interpol.

My favorite was when someone collected thousands of dollars for hundreds of Fiestacat dolls and kept all the dolls instead of shipping them to people.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it should say 'This is the best. I have the best fires."

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Armani posted:

Literally too late for that. This site has been heavily monitored for years and is going to be archived in an American library. This isn't hyperbole: you don't get >5 secret service visits, 3 murders, countless suicides, and 1 Interpol arrest on a mostly public Internet forum without eyes on you from now on.

Good job on the prediction, though. Is Scandinavia cool and do you want any Californian refugees

Wait who was the Interpol arrest? I also thought there was only the 1 murder...the weird pumpkin guy in TFR.

Honestly I thought that our connection to Bengahzi and Caro's antics in Libya/Syria would be more notable than any of those.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

This is fine.

Mighty fine work. Did you make this pixel art masterpiece?

Trumpster fire.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Evil Fluffy posted:

If Trump looks like a lost cause, and to a lot of GOPers that will be the case if he bombs the debate again on Sunday, they will absolutely cut their losses and abandon him to try and keep control of the Senate since that lets them gently caress Clinton on appointments. They will abso-loving-lutely ignore her SCOTUS pick for the next 4 years if they think they can get away with it.
The problem here is that unless they actually have Trump shot, the deplorables will probably be furiously mad at the GOP for abandoning their overlord.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Let us not forget that Ted Cruz decided to support this awful monster like two weeks ago lmbo

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Amazing.

Adding to the fire:

https://twitter.com/EricBoehlert/status/784514231634800640

:getin:

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/Khanoisseur/status/784401554480566272

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
Just remember, we still have 4 more weekends after this one so if the Clinton camp were the ones that provided the post with this that means they considered this only the 4-5th worst thing they have on him.

• Locked thread