Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

PST posted:

Random comments from crazy town:

Just you Jeff, just you

I erm, I...I mean there are words there but..wtf.

Strangely none of these dorks were anywhere to be found when the Fatriot called begged for reinforcements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
So Ammon Bundy's testimony is "we brought guns so we'd be taken seriously" and then "a bloo bloo the feds took us seriously!!"

Also that the refuge workers shouldn't have taken them seriously.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Semisponge posted:

So Ammon Bundy's testimony is "we brought guns so we'd be taken seriously" and then "a bloo bloo the feds took us seriously!!"

Also that the refuge workers shouldn't have taken them seriously.
I'm not sure it's a bad play, in that it gives a sympathetic juror a way to reconcile the presence of so much firepower with the idea that they never were going to hurt anyone.

Since jury nullification is literally the only way that these idiots don't spend the next couple decades in jail, it's not a bad thing to throw at the wall to see if it sticks. It's not like they stand even a slight chance if they try to win on the facts.

Not saying it'll work, mind you, just that it fits in with their overall strategy.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

The majority are rising up, we did it by putting together a police force, federal enforcement agencies, and the national guard. We used them to keep a bunch of jack offs from greedily taking public land.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

on three the eight members of the "Public" symbolizing the eight branches of "government." (including the secret ones) stood in the crowd and uttered the sacred words. The judge burst into unholy flame, stood, and cried "Guil-!" but was unable to finish her legal incantation before the bailiff, newly freed from satanic mind control, was able to gun her down

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

nm posted:

Could be a rebuttal witness (aka, someone who says "everything that guy said was bullshit.")

A paid informant relationship with the Feds would be Brady material, wouldn't it?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

A paid informant relationship with the Feds would be Brady material, wouldn't it?

Yes, but they source is crazy, so.
Generally there should be no prosecution surprise witnesses.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Is there any way for a court to deal with jury nullification? For example, if you've got one juror who's clearly nullifying (I don't know how you determine this) is that the end of any ability to convict?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Nocturtle posted:

Is there any way for a court to deal with jury nullification? For example, if you've got one juror who's clearly nullifying (I don't know how you determine this) is that the end of any ability to convict?

My understanding is that you try to catch it during the jury selection process.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
My favorite will always be after the Bundy's got arrested and the rest of the 3% poo poo their pants and took off except a few who stayed and were convinced Seal Team 6 was going to helicopter in any moment and kick off the War of Obama's Aggression

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Your Gay Uncle posted:

My favorite will always be after the Bundy's got arrested and the rest of the 3% poo poo their pants and took off except a few who stayed and were convinced Seal Team 6 was going to helicopter in any moment and kick off the War of Obama's Aggression

I still remember staying up late during the live streaming of the feds actually making their raid...which consisted of sitting outside the refuge overnight and listening to the occupiers scream and chant about their impending glorious deaths for the revolution as Negotiator Matt laughed at them until they gave up quietly.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Goodpancakes posted:

The majority are rising up, we did it by putting together a police force, federal enforcement agencies, and the national guard. We used them to keep a bunch of jack offs from greedily taking public land.

They don't even want to own the land, they just want to exploit it for free. They want to be able to do anything they want without consequence, they are the worst kind of leech.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Also to exclude others because the tragedy of the commons is that other people want to use the commons.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Nocturtle posted:

If only one is declaring not guilty then that's a hung jury and you can start the trial over from scratch with a different jury. If all twelve declare not guilty than the prosecution is hosed.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Nocturtle posted:

If the nullifier admits it to his fellow jurors and they snitch him out, the juror may be replaced in some circumstances.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

PST posted:

Bonus quote, is this some form of mental health problem?

I'm going down the rabbit hole, I might not be able to make it back:

I don't know how computers work, must be the government!!!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

hangedman1984 posted:

I don't know how computers work, must be the government!!!

Uh but he clearly took "a class" about Internet in 1997 and decided it was evil so obviously it's not his own lack of knowledge causing the issue :colbert:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ate all the Oreos posted:

Uh but he clearly took "a class" about Internet in 1997 and decided it was evil so obviously it's not his own lack of knowledge causing the issue :colbert:

The Internet makes you stupid.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

If only one is declaring not guilty then that's a hung jury and you can start the trial over from scratch with a different jury. If all twelve declare not guilty than the prosecution is hosed.

nm posted:

If the nullifier admits it to his fellow jurors and they snitch him out, the juror may be replaced in some circumstances.

Thanks. I guess this isn't a problem in practice, but maybe this is only because nullification isn't common knowledge? Either way there's an opportunity here to apply deep learning algorithms to prospective juror facebook profiles to identify potential nullifiers during voir dire. Any idea how much prosecuting/defense attorneys would pay for such a service?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Brand Nu Thornton is the Shofar guy lol.

Someone's parents thought they were clever

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Mods please change my name to Brand Nu Thornton.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

SocketWrench posted:

Someone's parents thought they were clever

Ever heard of the pest control company Truly Nolan? I went to elementary school with the founder's nephew, whose name was Maximum Nolan. His dad was named Really Nolan. There was also a Very Nolan in the family somewhere and god knows what else.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Ever heard of the pest control company Truly Nolan? I went to elementary school with the founder's nephew, whose name was Maximum Nolan. His dad was named Really Nolan. There was also a Very Nolan in the family somewhere and god knows what else.

Extremely Nolan Guy :v:

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Wha..? Why?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Starshark posted:

Wha..? Why?

Why the hell not?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/cranky_david/status/784220705692930048

https://twitter.com/chrisliedle/status/784197530699444225

Honestly if I was a juror that had to sit through 3 days of Ammon Bundy i'd be asking the Judge if the death penalty was still on the table.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

A short cross after a long direct generally exists to both make you look good to the jury and basically point out that the testimony is bullshit. 15min may havr been too long for the latter, though.

Ages
Feb 20, 2005

Its just half the puffin juice and the puffin lives and doesnt mind. I promise!
Fun Shoe

Dear god, when I lived in sw Florida for a time their little yellow cars with the giant mouse ears were everywhere

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

That reminds me of Bill Lear's daughter Shanda.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Oh yes, I know all to well. Went to school with a kid named Richard Jacks Seimen. Knew another named Cream. Then there was that NASCAR driver Dick Trickle....you know his parents hated him

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

SocketWrench posted:

Went to school with a kid named Richard Jacks Seimen.

What happened to him? :ohdear: And surely his parents knew what would happen, naming him that?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

SocketWrench posted:

Oh yes, I know all to well. Went to school with a kid named Richard Jacks Seimen. Knew another named Cream. Then there was that NASCAR driver Dick Trickle....you know his parents hated him

We had a Richard Head at my high school

I'm sure his parents thought they were being so funny. He was one of the angriest people I've ever met, and I am a pretty angry guy.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

red19fire posted:

Extremely Nolan Guy :v:

Things Man Was Not Meant To Nolan :cthulhu:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Mirthless posted:

We had a Richard Head at my high school

I'm sure his parents thought they were being so funny. He was one of the angriest people I've ever met, and I am a pretty angry guy.

I used to work with a guy named Harry Johnson. Now, this wasn't a case of parents naming him Harold Johnson and not realizing the implications or thinking they were being sneakily clever. His given name was Harry.

He was the most unpleasant, angry person I've ever met but absolutely nobody called him on it because we all understood why he hated the world.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
AB is a poo poo to Marshals, loses 'special privilege'. HAHA [/Nelson]

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-standoff/2016/10/us_marshals_no_longer_allowing.html

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Shortly after the occupation ended, I wrote a 17-page article detailing the occupation from start to finish. Here's a link for anyone who wants a refresher:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1eFXvnpsoJaR5idR4Cytg9a1J5lwXICh6fWxmt7JaVhU/edit

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

TotalLossBrain posted:

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-standoff/2016/10/us_marshals_no_longer_allowing.html

LOL, what an idiot.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

CommissarMega posted:

What happened to him? :ohdear: And surely his parents knew what would happen, naming him that?

No one really picked on him because he was a "special" type of kid that I shared a few classes with like PE and had the same lunch period.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

SocketWrench posted:

Dick Trickle did end up blowing his brains out...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

TotalLossBrain posted:

Best comment: "In his mind if he has to serve 20 years he will own his jail cell."