Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Lucid Dream posted:

Edit: What is the deal with "orbiting" cover? I remember a popup about it but I don't remember how to make it do. Will "orbiting" let me go around corners while staying in cover?

Essentially, yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

If it follows the style of Mafia 2, a minor reference at best. At the end of Mafia 1, you get a cutscene. At the end of Mafia 2, you take part in the cutscene from Mafia 1. I've only played an hour but so far the only reference I've gotten is "This money is from Scalleta" and the main character of the last game was Vito Scalleta.

Maybe you know this, but Vito is one of your lieutenants in this game.

Edit: Of course, that doesn't mean his story in 2 will be referenced a lot. I hope there is some details of what he's been through since the end of 2 though.

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Sounds like control issue will be the killer for me anyway, if the early comments are any indication. Maybe I should go ahead and try Mafia 2, sounds like the cops will chase you for traffic infractions other than hitting cop cars or pedestrians? Always thought that kind of thing should be modelled, actually.

Yeah, they go after you for that and hitting civilian cars as well as speeding, it's really cool without being annoying. In 1 you also become wanted for running red lights. :sperg:

Sounds like I'll enjoy this but don't need to be in a rush to get it. Repetitive side tasks sound hella boring but looks like they've nailed the atmosphere and time period again, at least.

Captain Scandinaiva fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Oct 7, 2016

Mortuus
Nov 8, 2012

Jesus loves you, useless corpse
So every time I try to melee someone by hitting Q, Lincoln does that T pose for modelling and I can't do anything to get him out of it. Can't find anyone else having this problem either.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

I am enjoying it despite it feeling really choppy. If the patch fixes as promised its a worthy purchase IMO.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

4 hours in and I'm really enjoying it so far, I have to say. If most of the missions follow the 'go here kill guy' gameplay loop, I can see where complaints about repetitiveness are coming from, but the fact is the shooting and driving are fun and satisfying, and the city is cool, so I can't see that bothering me (just yet anyway).

30fps lock sucks, but it feels pretty drat smooth with a controller to me. I don't know if they've done work on frame pacing or whatever, but for a completely unscientific observation, it feels like, say, Uncharted 4 rather than other PC games where I've tried out the 30fps lock option.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

Mortuus posted:

So every time I try to melee someone by hitting Q, Lincoln does that T pose for modelling and I can't do anything to get him out of it. Can't find anyone else having this problem either.

Lol, no idea man. sounds funny. try changing the bindings and resetting them? try a gamepad?

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Well, gently caress me. Bought the physical deluxe edition off Amazon because of the discount, but it 2K forgot to include the Steam key in the box. All I have are six discs for a game I can't even activate.

What a shitshow.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

If it follows the style of Mafia 2, a minor reference at best. At the end of Mafia 1, you get a cutscene. At the end of Mafia 2, you take part in the cutscene from Mafia 1. I've only played an hour but so far the only reference I've gotten is "This money is from Scalleta" and the main character of the last game was Vito Scalleta.

I'd recommend playing Mafia 2 since the game explains a 15 year gap.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Oh, that's the game we're playing! OK, my turn:

"gently caress off sonny, adults are talking here."

Now that I'm back at work, I can't access those sites, but I did look at the sega-16 one - one thing I noticed about that list was that there were a hell of a lot of "can do 60fps at one point, otherwise not"-type entries. And I've never been a console player, but I'm suspecting it's not a list of mostly FPS games, so they're not the genre in question and can thus be discounted.

All I did was pick three big-name "should be up to the 60fps standard of 1996" PC games from this listing that I recognized as needing more graphical oomph than Zork: Nemesis, for instance. (Also ones I've either played or seen played - I've no idea how hard SimCopter would have pushed the video card's capabilities, for example.)

"The standard on PC gaming clearly isn't 60 fps." Really? Let me refresh your memory here:

The *ability* to hit 60fps does not make it the *standard*, especially 20 years ago.

I started this line of commentary because I thought you might br frothing a bit, especially given the "standard for decades" bit. (Over-the-top frothing goes to Kontradaz, though. :golfclap:) But, maybe I missed the FPS Holy Wars of the early-to-mid-'90s, maybe I'd learn something new... or maybe not. Please keep defending your hill against the drat dirty low-FPS-havers, however, you're doing a fine job! :thumbsup:

Sounds like control issue will be the killer for me anyway, if the early comments are any indication. Maybe I should go ahead and try Mafia 2, sounds like the cops will chase you for traffic infractions other than hitting cop cars or pedestrians? Always thought that kind of thing should be modelled, actually.

Edit - ahahahah, I looked at the Giantbomb link quoted above - an unsourced, undated wiki (?) entry that pretty much says "welp, 60fps is the standard" and that's about it.

Nice meltdown.

Anyways, game seems good to me other than the 30fps crapoli. I don't have any control issues, the combat and controls are pretty tight and functional for me.

TheShrike fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Oct 7, 2016

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

Kontradaz posted:

Nice meltdown.

Anyways, game seems good to me other than the 30fps crapoli. I don't have any control issues, the combat and controls are pretty tight and functional for me.

tight?! how, trying to headshot people from cover is a joke, the ingame pointer chops around and does not follow the precise nature of a high DPI mouse at all. it's awful. it would be better at 60 fps+ but right now it's a joke

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Man aside from the 30 FPS lock, this game is great.

the gunfeel is fabulous

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

The Iron Rose posted:

Man aside from the 30 FPS lock, this game is great.

the gunfeel is fabulous

gunfeel and driving are both really good, and brutally knifing redneck racists in the belly never gets old

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
This game feels really cinematic...it's good

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

I'm not creative enough to come up with something good
I don't know that anyone else is having this problem, since I can't find mention anywhere, but I can't fire my gun on foot...like, at all. Just stands there holding it up like a rube getting shot. I've tried rebinding, reloading, reinstalling, and even changing graphics settings, and nothing. It works when I'm driving just fine, but as soon as I'm walking around, gone.

Anybody have any ideas? I'd really like to get past the tutorial mission...it's degrading.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Magmarashi posted:

gunfeel and driving are both really good, and brutally knifing redneck racists in the belly never gets old

I'm a fan of blowing their legs and feet off personally.

Shotguns are king in this game.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

AEMINAL posted:

tight?! how, trying to headshot people from cover is a joke, the ingame pointer chops around and does not follow the precise nature of a high DPI mouse at all. it's awful. it would be better at 60 fps+ but right now it's a joke

Idk, maybe I don't play enough shooters to be affected but I can headshot alright from cover. Using a wireless G602 mouse and a wireless couch keyboard, so odds should be stacked against me.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Kontradaz posted:

Nice meltdown.

Ahh, I see the issue here. You're apparently reading one person's posts and replying to a different person. I should go back and see who was actually cheerleading the rush back to 30fps gaming, or what meltdown you saw previously, but... I don't actually care. <shrug>

Are there any real benefits to the brutality kills, or just :unsmigghh: feelgood times? (I do taser executions in Saints Row 2, so it's not like I'm squeamish or anything.)

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Very positive first impressions for me. Graphics are amazing (like almost Uncharted 4 calibre), music is great, guns feel great, driving feels great, plot/writing/acting seems top notch... it gets a little chuggy when driving around quickly but no worse than any other open world game on PS4.

One possible anachronistic thing though, the first truck you drive has a back-up beeping noise. I'm 36 and seem to remember those being something that only started in the last couple decades. No?

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 7, 2016

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

So, after looking around, it looks like the manual is missing from many if not all copies of the PC Deluxe physical edition of the game. Since the Steam product key is printed on the manual, there is no way to play the game without it. The problem is widespread, from pretty much any retailer you'd expect to get a physical copy from, like Amazon, Gamestop, or Best Buy.

:siren: Do not buy the physical PC deluxe edition of the game, it won't have a Steam key in the box! :siren:

Just so people don't think I'm crazy:
Steam Discussion: CD-Key HELP
Steam Discussion: Bought physical deluxe version from amazon NEW... Game came with no CD key... Steam asks for one when I have none!
Steam Discussion: no activation key with amazon physical purchase
Steam Discussion: Missing Manual?
Amazon's Mafia 3 Deluxe edition page - Every review mentions the missing manual

Rebel Blob fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 7, 2016

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Very positive first impressions for me. Graphics are amazing (like almost Uncharted 4 calibre), music is great, guns feel great, driving feels great, plot/writing/acting seems top notch... it gets a little chuggy when driving around quickly but no worse than any other open world game on PS4.

One possible anachronistic thing though, the first truck you drive has a back-up beeping noise. I'm 36 and seem to remember those being something that only started in the last couple decades. No?

according to wikipedia (i know) the first one was developed in '63

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

okay there might be one or two glitches

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

The Iron Rose posted:

okay there might be one or two glitches

looks like a feature ala modern bf games imo

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
They've done their homework regarding the setting. There are stores that won't allow coloured customers, and the police responds much faster when you mess around in the "whiter" neighbourhoods.

I wish GTA could have the same serious tone like this game. It's a very touchy subject, dealing with racism and gang violence and all that, but I really feel that Mafia 3 pulls it off just right. Now they need to fix the technical stuff.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
God dammit 14 hours to download/ install.

Please help me get hype, tia

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Afraid of Audio posted:

according to wikipedia (i know) the first one was developed in '63

Hmm, wonder when they were widely used. I'm in Canada too so maybe it was different (although we tend to be pretty gung-ho on safety regulations).

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

A GAF member posted:

It seems that new patches have been uploaded into the steamdb a couple hours ago. Not sure if it's not ready yet or they're not ready to put it to live.
https://steamdb.info/app/360430/history/

:catstare:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

God dammit 14 hours to download/ install.

Please help me get hype, tia

you can dismember klanners if you're half decent at aiming a shotgun.

and they deal with racism reasonably well tbh.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

The Iron Rose posted:

you can dismember klanners if you're half decent at aiming a shotgun.

and they deal with racism reasonably well tbh.

These two statements are really just the same thing. :unsmigghh:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Do you have iframes while melee killing?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Did I imagine Lincoln dancing along to the radio while driving?

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Did my game just glitch out? I'm in the intro bank heist, got the machine gun and then the first person I shot it cuts straight to a cutscene?

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

eleven extra elephants posted:

Did my game just glitch out? I'm in the intro bank heist, got the machine gun and then the first person I shot it cuts straight to a cutscene?

nope that's how it rolls

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

eleven extra elephants posted:

I don't know if it ever guess back, but that's what happens.

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble
It's great to see people enjoying the game :)
As far as the PC version goes - I was just as surprised as everyone else to learn about the 30fps lock. Guess some people high up in the studio or publishing decided it wasn't a priority. Nobody ever mentioned it to the studio at large.
I have no useful information on the ETA of the patch to the public, but I've played the patch build here at the office, so it is real and working.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Well, poo poo. I heard there were some issues but figured I don't mind about FPS that much, but the game won't even launch for me. Guess I'll wait for that patch and see if it changes anything.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!
Ok so impressions of about 8 hours of play so far on PS4 are good. Aside from two crashes. One where everyone else is having one - the cut scene after serving soup - I had another one where I was running Mary Jane in a boat, crashed my boat, went to do it again, and it crashed.

Other than that, the voice acting and story is top notch. The missions while you recruit and rinse and repeat and get old by the time you finish half way through that part of the game. The UI is all sorts of hard to understand. After 8 hours I just figured out how to switch grenades, mollies, etc while in the weapon menu and pressing L1 and R1. Also side missions for each area do not auto populate and you have to go to the person in the menu, hit the objective button, scroll down, and select the mission. The text is a little small, but the bad part is when it tries to tell you what to do in the tutorial for controls, you cannot see what the hell they are telling you to do. Push up? Down? D-Pad? R3? What? I cannot read it because it is literally 3 pixels on a 65" screen.

Going to keep plugging through now that I have three underlings and see if the missions finally start getting better rather than the rinse and repeat just did for 6 hours.

All in all though, story is awesome so far and thats all I cared about.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Oct 8, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Ok I just found the one thing that has infuriated me. Traffic.

Tailing missions are impossible because other drivers keep entering intersections to turn, but realise another car wants to turn at the same time. They enter into a stalemate and no one moves.

I loaded the checkpoint and it happened again at a different intersection.

Just go forward! There's so much room there ffs!

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 8, 2016

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Maybe I'm low brow as gently caress, but the story has got me captivated. And the music... the music! Fantastic (that scene with Rolling Stones "Paint it Black" was sublime)

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Traffic didn't bother me once I realized nothing matters until a cop is within vicinity. Otherwise I'm speeding, crashing, and running red lights all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Tae posted:

Traffic didn't bother me once I realized nothing matters until a cop is within vicinity. Otherwise I'm speeding, crashing, and running red lights all day.

Same, but you can't do that for a tailing mission.

• Locked thread