Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I liked Elektra in that episode where they broke into that office during the party. I think that was the only part of the ninja storyline I actually enjoyed because it had some funny moments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Koalas March posted:

I'm only on episode 11 but the Judas bullets open up some really interesting MCU questions that will never get explored. Like what if you shot one at Tony and it bored into his suit then exploded on his person? What if you shot a bunch of them (not the smaller guys) at Hulk?

Also I hope no matter what happens, we get a scene like this either in Iron Fist or Defenders. (I'm biased obviously, because I own Secret Love with the Misty/Danny variant cover)

I love this page, I've read it a bunch of times, and this is the first time I realized her right sleeve is hanging loose. I think I love it more now.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Test Pattern posted:

I love this page, I've read it a bunch of times, and this is the first time I realized her right sleeve is hanging loose. I think I love it more now.

I want Luke Cage Season 2 to have this scene shot for shot.

Edit:

That one too.

Push El Burrito fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 7, 2016

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Venuz Patrol posted:

tv show budgets make it close to impossible to do better with hand to hand fight scenes. there's just a ton of effort that goes into making a punch look real and playing up the impact without actually harming any of the actors involved. so i'm willing to give the show a pass for being slightly awkward in many of its fight scenes, particularly because i think the choreographers found a lot of other ways to make hits look impactful, like how nearly every punch luke throws when he's inside a building goes straight through a wall.

I loved the fight scenes. My problem is NOT the choreography, but the cinematography. The endless series of quick cuts piss me off to no end.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Invalid Validation posted:

The dumb mooks would just fly upwards or backwards after Luke would struggle to lift a guy. The choreography was pretty bad at times.

You know, just because Luke is super-strong doesn't mean he is immune to leverage and physics. If he struggled to lift someone, maybe his feet just weren't planted right.

EDIT: Never discount the fact he is an amateur and I am sure he gets a little over-excited and ahead of himself in fights.

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 7, 2016

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Slime posted:

i'm sorry that i made people mad talking about ninjas but i guess i was still pissed about how bad the ninja segment of daredevil was compared to the punisher segment.

I don't think that many people disagree with that though?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Test Pattern posted:

Did the "one-armed daddy's girl" part not tip you off?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Just finished 1x10. The show was great up to this point, but in this episode two things annoyed me greatly:

1. Luke had two gunshot wounds, but Claire took the shrapnel out of only one of them and then he was good. What?

2. The ending of the episode made zero sense. Let's revisit:
a. Misty has a gun aimed at Diamondback
b. Diamondback somehow manages to draw his guns and shoots Misty... is she the worst cop or what? First she loses her gun to him, then gets shot when she obviously has the upper hand.
c. Luke grabs her and starts rushing her out.
d. Diamondback's cronies start shooting at them from multiple angles with semi-automatics, yet none of them manage to hit her in the legs/feet...

Also, man, this Diamondback poo poo is pretty bad. Not only did he come out of nowhere, but the pacing of Luke and Claire visiting the church and Luke suddenly getting the flashbacks that magically had all the facts laid out for him was some really lovely writing.

Slow News Day fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Oct 8, 2016

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Edit:

That one too.

Luke Cage gets it. gently caress off crunchy peanut butter.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I think Jessica Jones stocks creamy peanut butter in her fridge on the show, major break with the comics there.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

MrAristocrates posted:

Elektra ruled

Having a black sky just be "destined to rule the Sith" was super loving lame.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I didn't love that, I just liked the performance a lot

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MrAristocrates posted:

I didn't love that, I just liked the performance a lot

I thought she was a talented actress doing everything she could with a very poorly written character.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Cythereal posted:

I thought she was a talented actress doing everything she could with a very poorly written character.

Word.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Just finished up the series, I really loved it though I felt the first 7 episodes were stronger. While I really dug what they did with Mariah and Shades, I just missed Cottonmouth who was just magnetic on-screen, and I felt that the show was a little lesser not having him around in the last six episodes. Diamondback was fun as a completely chaotic psychopath but he wasn't anywhere near as strong as Mahershala Ali who just blew me away with his performance.

Loved all the quasi-references to The Wire and the heavy use of former castmembers - all the updated/modern takes on blaxploitation cinema was great too. Another thing I really missed that featured heavily in the first half of the series were all the musical numbers, there was some great loving music in this show.

Agree with what I've seen a lot of people post about how much Shades grew on me as a character as the series went on, nice to see Theo Rossi still getting work. His big scene in (I think) episode 12 really did have me believing they were going to kill him off and I was so relieved to see him survive, even if Zip dying as a result was a downer.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

raditts posted:

I don't think it's fair to list Daredevil Season 2 as one entry, because the Punisher arc and that ninja bullshit that followed might as well be two separate shows.
Same with Luke Cage because the Diamondback arc drags the season way down. I'd break it down like this:

1. Daredevil S2 - Punisher arc
2. Luke Cage - Cottonmouth arc
3. Daredevil S1
4. Jessica Jones
5. Luke Cage - Diamondback arc
6. Daredevil S2 - Ninja bullshit

I think Jessica Jones was divided in a similar way with part 1 being great and part 2 sucking, although there wasn't as much of a change in subject matter like there was in DDs2 (Punisher vs Ninjas) and LC (Cottonmouth vs Diamondback) it was just a more general "The first two thirds were great then the rest really sucked." All the stuff in the first half leading up to Jessica at her childhood home with Kilgrave was awesome stuff, but then after Kilgrave escapes from the water tank and then they keep wringing their hands and re-capturing him and then losing him again for various bullshit reasons it gets REAL bad.

I'd have it be something like this:

1. Daredevil S2 - Punisher arc
2. First 60% of Jessica Jones
3. Luke Cage cottonmouth arc
4. Daredevil S1

Huge gap

5. Luke Cage Diamonback arc
6. Jessica Jones last few episodes of contrived bullshit
7. Daredevil Ninja crap

I go back and forth on 6 and 7, the ninja stuff was so tedious and unrelenting but nothing in it specifically pissed me off as much as the moment where Kilgrave is freed from captivity because the stupid upstairs neighbor lady just happened to bust into Jessica's apartment with a mob at that specific time

bbf2 fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Oct 8, 2016

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Hollismason posted:

Just realized the Barber Shop is on Malcolm X blvd. Not sure the connection their really trying to make with Luke Cage and Malcolm X though it's kind of there though.

-Malcolm X Blvd is a super common street name in most cities of reasonable size in the USA. And incidentally, the majority of MLK Blvds I've come across are smack-dab in the middle of redline districts. It's less to compare him to MLK than to drive home that you're not in Kansas anymore

Hollismason posted:

Actually, I can't remember if he even curses in the show.
"Sorry, Pops."

:ughh:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

bbf2 posted:

I think Jessica Jones was divided in a similar way with part 1 being great and part 2 sucking, although there wasn't as much of a change in subject matter like there was in DDs2 (Punisher vs Ninjas) and LC (Cottonmouth vs Diamondback) it was just a more general "The first two thirds were great then the rest really sucked." All the stuff in the first half leading up to Jessica at her childhood home with Kilgrave was awesome stuff, but then after Kilgrave escapes from the water tank and then they keep wringing their hands and re-capturing him and then losing him again for various bullshit reasons it gets REAL bad.

I agree, but I felt the good part of JJ still ranks in the same spot on my list. Not because it's bad, but because those others are so much better.
If any of the Netflix canon could benefit from stand alone episodes to break up the larger narrative, I think that would have been the one.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Just finished the season. That was some weak-rear end ending. The boxing flashbacks were just contrived and dumb, and the fight between Luke and Diamondback was just underwhelming as poo poo. I liked the setting, with the crowd cheering him on - gave the whole "people's hero" vibe - but it felt like Diamondback himself was no threat to Luke despite bruising him up and drawing a bit of blood.

I also hate that they never showed what would happen if Luke got hit with the diluted magic bullets. They turned from "main threat that can kill Luke" to "lame plot device to make cops threatening again."

Lastly, Misty recovered from that injury real fast. One moment she was at risk of losing her arm, and a few days later she took the sling off and went back to normal. Does she have Luke's healing powers or what?

I dunno... the show definitely had its strong points (great acting by Colter and Mahershala Ali, accurate commentary on social issues, really fantastic music) but it also suffered from bad pacing and some really poor writing in certain parts. For example, they did a great job with Cottonmouth's flashbacks, because they helped put his and Mariah Dillard's current situations and motivations in context. In stark contrast, Luke's were just full of heavy exposition, with the writers hitting the audience over the head with "SEE, THIS IS WHY DIAMONDBACK HATES LUKE!" and seemed to be written and shot as an afterthought. And Diamondback's monologue to the hostage councilman was the worst.

I'm kinda worried about Iron Fist now. It's arguably a lot harder to "get right" than Luke Cage, and Marvel doesn't have the best track record when it comes to writing ninjas, as we saw with DD2. Hopefully they don't gently caress it up... :ohdear:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

enraged_camel posted:

I'm kinda worried about Iron Fist now. It's arguably a lot harder to "get right" than Luke Cage, and Marvel doesn't have the best track record when it comes to writing ninjas, as we saw with DD2. Hopefully they don't gently caress it up... :ohdear:

Been a while since I've seen interesting Fantasy East Asian-based television. We'll see how it ends up.

https://twitter.com/MarvelIronFist/status/784171105648992257/video/1

Drifter fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Oct 8, 2016

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The Daredevil season 2 loose thread hook for season 3 was "why are invading magical Asian zombie hordes digging a hole to China in NYC the most important city on the planet full of exceptional people better than anyone else on earth and here's a two minute long wet fart about why that is" so I'm not too optimistic about Iron Fist.

I'm still hoping the whole thing is a fakeout and at the end of the first episode Jason Scott Lee busts through a wall in the green/gold outfit and smacks down the Danny Rand we're seeing and is the actual iron Fist.

So like, I liked this show a lot overall, I think it's the best of the Netflix Marvel shows so far. Most importantly because it actually justifies being filmed in NYC. DD wasn't even really filmed in Hell's Kitchen much (was it at all?) and for real could have been filmed in any big city (also LMAO both Daredevil and Jessica Jones broke into my friend's apartment building). Even Luke Cage cheated a little bit but it does such a great job weaving its places into the fabric of every character's being and that's really cool. It's definitely the best looking and sounding of them all too by a huge margin. Jessica Jones would be my favorite except that they wasted multiple episodes with Nuke and ran out of steam three episodes before it ended. Like, no one on earth is excited to see or gives a poo poo about Nuke come on, AND they had him kill Lester from The Wire? gently caress off. :P

Diamondback either needed to be in the show from the beginning interacting with Shades or even Mariah directly or he needed to only appear as a Dr. Claw puppet master spewing bible quotes to build him up as the main bad for a second season. They tried to go halfway and kind of blew it.

I had a bunch of minor complaints about the show's pacing and writing at points I was going to write here but like the other three Marvel seasons we got basically every issue with the show would go away if it was eight or ten episodes instead of thirteen. This one came closest to not just being popcorn but kind of lost its way towards the end.

Guy Goodbody posted:

What about all the Ninja stuff that is made for Asians? Like Naruto. Are little Japanese kids watching Naruto engaging in Asian fetishism?

Look at how far away Naruto is in every way from "dudes in all one color outfits with face masks that sneak around at night throwing stars at people to enforce foreign crime syndicates" though. There's a huge stylistic different in what "ninja" media is like now (and kind of always was like in Japan) compared to the specifically western 80s movie/Godfrey Ho Hong Kong knockoffs from which Daredevil's ninja are derived. A lot of that stuff isn't really fetishizing ninja as we'd think of them and uses ninja more as just "this hyper specialized assassin person," being stealthy and wearing all black or red and always using ninja stars or smalls words isn't really the focus.*

One of the (reasonable imo) complaints about the season 2's ninja war I read a lot was how Stick is implied to have this rainbow army of people who are all from different walks of life with different styles and quirks to them and that they are the good guys. The bad guy side is literally a faceless 80s ninja horde of treacherous Japanese people, like there's that scene where they're using bow and arrows on a car and stuff. Even Nobu, in season 1 they killed him an episode after he actually had some dialogue and became a character, and then in season 2 they brought him back as a undead ninja magic warlord......and just killed him again anyway, like nothing TOO out there is allowed to live, so it feels half-assed.

I posted a lot about this before (as others have) but the ninja plot really felt like they had intended to have more magical stuff happen and be known to to the main characters but then someone was like "wait we now have Dr. Strange coming out this same year and his whole thing is magic so don't introduce magic to live action Marvel yet" because it was really really disjointed and weird. Matt/etc. all seemed like dumbasses because they all got to see and learn about a bunch of weird ninja blood magic poo poo and people come back from the dead but then act like that was some weird cult nothing too unusual about any of that no big. Matt converses with Madame Gao for a bit in season 2 and she's like a totally different and much more stereotypical wisdom-doling character instead of the collected crime boss of the first season. Season 2 basically couldn't decide what it wanted its ninjas to do or be, and would have been more interested if they focused more on the Black Sky/blood magic regeneration stuff from the outset. For lack of confidence in that they fell back on the most generic ninja stuff they could. I had a blast with it either way though.

Elektra herself is loving awesome. Elodie Young plays a great over the top psychopath and is an actual martial artist that did her own fighting/stunts and stuff too. Usually the "we're not so different you and I" characters are lame but in this case it's great because she really is the same as Matt. Matt himself acts smugly superior because he doesn't "actually kill" people but the more realistic violence in the show and how much he enjoys beating people up, like, there's no way in hell a lot of those folks he beats down live, so it works. And like Elektra he literally is someone who's greatest thrills in life are wearing a red outfit while maiming people at three in the morning and lying through his teeth to people who trust him.

If I had to rank these four seasons so far I think it'd go...
Luke Cage
Jessica Jones/Daredevil Season 1
Daredevil Season 2

I like all of them a lot though so kind of splitting hairs.

*That said the 80s ninja craze will never truly die. Like if you go to Iga in Japan you can watch super touristy "ninja demonstration" stuff and see guys in all red demonstrating how if someone stands still and lets them hit them a lot they can do this totally sick trick to kill them silently.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Oct 8, 2016

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

My enjoyment dropped significantly once Cottonmouth died.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

nooneofconsequence posted:

Mahershala Ali is a goddamn treasure. He's super sympathetic on House of Cards, though, so my brain kept inserting that into this show and feeling for the guy when it wasn't warranted.

I don't hate Diamondback, but the tonal shift was jarring. When he showed up yelling Warriors quotes, it was straight-up surreal. The show was light on the 70's exploitive thing prior to this, then it went full-speed.

CAN YOU DIG ITTTTTT!!!!! (The Warriors is good as gently caress though. See it if you haven't.)

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

nooneofconsequence posted:

Same. The backstory segment with him and Mariah made the whole first half the series take on a different meaning and I liked that. It was a good turn. He was always electric when on screen. Mariah killing Cottonmouth made me sad because even as it was starting, I knew that he was done for but at the same time, that scene was just beautifully played out and made a good setup for Mariah to be a gray-area bad guy. I liked that she really did want to serve the city in a genuinely productive way and her fall (as well as Cottonmouth's pre-series fall) really was tragic, which is something we hadn't seen much of in DD or JJ. It book-ended well. Cottonmouth was always letting his past drag him down and he ended up pulling Mariah back with him, which was diametrically opposed Pop and Luke's "always forword" thing.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Oct 8, 2016

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Neo Rasa posted:

The Daredevil season 2 loose thread hook for season 3 was "why are invading magical Asian zombie hordes digging a hole to China in NYC the most important city on the planet full of exceptional people better than anyone else on earth and here's a two minute long wet fart about why that is" so I'm not too optimistic about Iron Fist.

I think the giant hole in the ground is supposed to be the hook for Defenders.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

enraged_camel posted:

Just finished the season. That was some weak-rear end ending. The boxing flashbacks were just contrived and dumb

One problem I had with the boxing flashback is that Lucas only got in to it at all because of pride, so having it end with him winning and then connecting that to the present with him wanting to just be done with Diamondback feels really weird to me. As he tells the flashback it seems more appropriate for him to lose and learn a lesson in humility, or at least why his fight with Willis is pointless. A lot of the that fight is weird to me though

Luke saying "I'm not going to fight you anymore", taking a few punches and then fighting Diamondback again is weird too. I get that it was misdirection - I just think if he's going to go in to the fight not really wanting to be there and then says that line it's much more appropriate to actually mean it - even if it means just pulling the backpack off Diamondback when he's out of juice. Why being out of juice makes Diamondback stagger around and turn his back I've no idea either. Some people have pointed out that if he did that he'd just be beating the machine and not the man, and putting aside that beating the machine/system has it's own rather positive connotations thematically in this show, I think that's actually something Luke would want since he never wanted to be in that fight in the first place, so he had no reason to care about beating Diamondback as a person so much as just being rid of the guy once and for all. If he wanted to beat Diamondback then physically beating him doesn't seem to do anything, so much as convincing Diamondback it's pointless in a verbal manner would. Which he failed to do in the fight as well. Which is presumably why we'll almost definitely have Diamondback for season two. Sadly. Luke might have thought beating him would finally end it, but Luke doesn't come off as someone that solves problems that way.

enraged_camel posted:

After checking up on Iron Fist yesterday and seeing the following summary in a few places I've got a new worry:

http://www.comingsoon.net/tv/trailers/774051-marvels-iron-fist-motion-poster-shows-off-danny-rands-moves#/slide/1 posted:

In Marvel’s Iron Fist, billionaire Danny Rand (Finn Jones) returns to New York City after being missing for years, trying to reconnect with his past and his family legacy. He fights against the criminal element corrupting New York City with his kung-fu mastery and ability to summon the awesome power of the fiery Iron Fist.

My new worry about Iron Fist is that the main thrust of his fight against crime and show will be fighting street crime in New York. Which I don't think suits Iron Fist even if we didn't already have Daredevil and Luke Cage doing the exact same thing. Given how wealthy his family is, his business connections and his mystical bent fighting corporate crime/white collar crime and/or mystic kung-fu poo poo like the Tournament of Heaven seems much more appropriate for him.

That said, there's already been casting for two children (Ward and Joy Meachum) of his Dad's old business partner that now run Rand Inc since his disappearance and would be about his age, so there's a good chance that teaser line is just a bit misleading and his focus will be more on corporate crime and cleaning up that kind of shady business than street crooks. Hopefully the ninja element will be less about swarms of mooks and more about a handful of well trained peers of Dannys that can stand toe to toe with him due to having something analogous to the Iron Fist themselves, like Fat Cobra and so on did.

tsob fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Oct 8, 2016

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I think a majority of forward-thinking, rational people agree that Luke Cage starts going downhill after the focus of villainy shifts to Diamondback. Not that the guy is too comic-y, or he's a bad actor, but that EVERYTHING about it is just underfed.

tsob posted:

My new worry about Iron Fist is that the main thrust of his fight against crime and show will be fighting street crime in New York. Which I don't think suits Iron Fist even if we didn't already have Daredevil and Luke Cage doing the exact same thing. Given how wealthy his family is, his business connections and his mystical bent fighting corporate crime/white collar crime and/or mystic kung-fu poo poo like the Tournament of Heaven seems much more appropriate for him.

That said, there's already been casting for two children (Ward and Joy Meachum) of his Dad's old business partner that now run Rand Inc since his disappearance and would be about his age, so there's a good chance that teaser line is just a bit misleading and his focus will be more on corporate crime and cleaning up that kind of shady business than street crooks. Hopefully the ninja element will be less about swarms of mooks and more about a handful of well trained peers of Dannys that can stand toe to toe with him due to having something analogous to the Iron Fist themselves, like Fat Cobra and so on did.

Haha, what? Of COURSE he's going to be fighting street crime, except his street crime will be unrelated to the city. He'll be like The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - fighting an underground ninja ring like the Foot. It's "technically" street crime, but not. And of course there'll be a rich East Asian CEO/crime boss he's taken a personal, vested interest in defeating.

You're kidding yourself if you're expecting Game of Thrones: Donald Trump edition.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Oct 8, 2016

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Drifter posted:

You're kidding yourself if you're expecting Game of Thrones: Donald Trump edition.

You're saying nobody is gonna get their pussy grabbed?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Guy Goodbody posted:

You're saying nobody is gonna get their pussy grabbed?

leaked video of Danny Rand fighting a ninja in disguise.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

bloodychill posted:

Same. The backstory segment with him and Mariah made the whole first half the series take on a different meaning and I liked that. It was a good turn.

Really could have done without the whole "rape as plot device that contributes to woman becoming a villian" thing though.

That and Diamondback being an utter failure of a villian in every conceivable way (see Fortune article) were my biggest issues with the season.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Drifter posted:

I think a majority of forward-thinking, rational people agree that Luke Cage starts going downhill after the focus of villainy shifts to Diamondback. Not that the guy is too comic-y, or he's a bad actor, but that EVERYTHING about it is just underfed.
Diamondback was great as a shadowy nemesis.

He was never going to be as menacing in person as he was as a mysterious figure, that's just the way our brains are wired (fear of the unknown etc)... but "idiot with daddy issues" was underwhelming even with that caveat.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Lurdiak posted:

Actually, though, the real disappointment of the show was that Jessica was immune to him. It basically made the "how do you stop a person with this power?" problem completely moot, redirecting the plot entirely to "is it ok to kill him" and reducing the opportunity for cleverness.

I don't think she was immune so much as she had built up a resistance. I can't cite specific scenes right now, but I'm pretty sure a couple of times when she's under his power she kind of twitches a little when given an order, or manages to resist it for a few seconds/reinterpret it creatively.

I took it as that she had spent so much time under the influence of his spores or whatever that she eventually began to resist them/acclimatize to them, and that possibly this would happen eventually for anyone, and that's why he has a habit of making his puppets kill themselves. He just couldn't do that with JJ because of his obsession with her, and it eventually resulted in her building up enough of a resistance to his ability to result in the "Smile :unsmigghh:" scene.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I didn't like Cottonmouth's backstory because it's just Fisk's backstory. Oh no, a sensitive kid is pushed into criminality because if his family's fuckups.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
The "I did NOT want it," scene also had some comically bad acting, it's like sometimes they know what to do with the Mariah character and other times they gently caress it up. The police interview redeems all of her questionable acting though. Turk also needs his own show.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Buschmaki posted:

I didn't like Cottonmouth's backstory because it's just Fisk's backstory. Oh no, a sensitive kid is pushed into criminality because if his family's fuckups.

I think being forced to execute his uncle, who was the one guy that really cared about him was the point of no return in his back story.

And agreed on the Mariah thing. Scenes like when Shades was talking her through the crime scene cleanup and she was in the morgue talking to Cottonmouth were great, but other scenes... ehhhhhhhh.

Also, I have a JJ question. Not related to this show, but since someone mentioned Nuke, was it alleged in the show that his pills were just placebos, or was that a comics thing only? I honestly can't remember.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Trish takes some of his pills and it nearly kills her in the show so I think they're the real deal.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I hope Turk is the tie-in for the Defenders. He's great. Let him stumble upon the Hole to Hell or whatever.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I think it's pretty much a forgone conclusion that Turk is going to stumble across the four Defenders and then just nope the gently caress out.

What will be weird about Defenders is seeing Matt in the daredevil costume alongside all these superheroes who just wear what they rolled out of bed wearing.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
Turk is the universal constant of Marvel Netflix, the one character that is consistently good whenever he's onscreen. Even Fisk and the Punisher have "eh" moments, Turk is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

howe_sam posted:

I think it's pretty much a forgone conclusion that Turk is going to stumble across the four Defenders and then just nope the gently caress out.

What will be weird about Defenders is seeing Matt in the daredevil costume alongside all these superheroes who just wear what they rolled out of bed wearing.

I want Iron Fist to wear little booties like in the comics