Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

SmellOfPetroleum posted:

Off the top of my head, I can't think of a spell that would break the game being used as a ritual. I guess it would give wizards access to every spell in their book, not just prepared ones. Yeah that would be ludicrous.

What if we extend this to every class ability? Ignore your usage restrictions as long as you take 10 minutes doing it.

Oh I guess that would allow infinite healing per day.

Cap it with "Characters can only receive magical healing a number of times in a given day equal to their level + their Constitution modifier, with a minimum of 2"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
Perhaps a mechanic, called healing escalations, that you could also use during downtime, but are boosted by a healer during combat. Just spitballing here.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Infinite Wishes.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

captain innocuous posted:

Perhaps a mechanic, called healing escalations, that you could also use during downtime, but are boosted by a healer during combat. Just spitballing here.

My idea was absolutely not a thinly veiled allegory for 4e. We should stop walking on eggshells around that.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

SmellOfPetroleum posted:

random encounter tables are easy to make

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Cat Face Joe posted:

Just in case, the DBZ rpg was a real thing and you'd literally spend multiple rounds screaming at each other before firing a single attack that ended combat.

man screaming is for chumps just have someone use the spirit ball which had Power limit: infinity

SmellOfPetroleum
Jan 6, 2013
Spirit ball does damage equal to the target's remaining hp - 1 in an anime where automatic maximized second winds happen. Oh no, I crossed the streams.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

gradenko_2000 posted:

My idea was absolutely not a thinly veiled allegory for 4e. We should stop walking on eggshells around that.
As was Captain Innocuous's. Perhaps he is a little too innocuous

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

SmellOfPetroleum posted:

Off the top of my head, I can't think of a spell that would break the game being used as a ritual. I guess it would give wizards access to every spell in their book, not just prepared ones. Yeah that would be ludicrous.

What if we extend this to every class ability? Ignore your usage restrictions as long as you take 10 minutes doing it.

I was thinking about anything that wasn't healy, fighty or escapey. Speak With Dead, and things like that.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

gradenko_2000 posted:

Cap it with "Characters can only receive magical healing a number of times in a given day equal to their level + their Constitution modifier, with a minimum of 2"

That's what Kevin Crawford of Stars Without Number and Godbound fame does. Every single one of his games (except Red Tide since that's merely a sourcebook for Labyrinth Lord) puts some form of limit to how often you can have HP pumped into your body per day.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Eh, it's kind of cool to have one character take a ton of damage. In one campaign I had a paladin where we were exploring a trapped dungeon, and a player who was either bad, stupid, or not paying attention repeatedly triggered traps that would miss his rogue and then hit my guy. by the end of the dungeon my paladin had taken more damage (and been healed repeatedly) than he had total hit points, and no one else had suffered a scratch.
changing the hp healed mechanism is just a weird game balance theory type thing that doesn't even serve much purpose

or hell, if you're fighting other adventurers they'd simply focus fire one guy even more than already would happen, knowing that he'd eventually just be unable to be healed. that's kind of silly

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Oct 8, 2016

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Is there any system where the whole party has a single shared pool of HP, spell slots/power points, etc?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Really Pants posted:

Is there any system where the whole party has a single shared pool of HP, spell slots/power points, etc?

I've seen a once/day hold the line priest ability for dwarves, where anyone that voluntarily agrees has their hp pooled. it worked incredibly well but there was always a risk that the rogue or mage would fall over dead when the ability wore off

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

Really Pants posted:

Mouseguard

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Really Pants posted:

Noumenon.

SmellOfPetroleum
Jan 6, 2013

Really Pants posted:

My high level 4th ed game had a combination of powers and magic items that had them freely pooling healing surges. They called them communist healing surges, and it didn't affect pacing all that much.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

mastershakeman posted:

or hell, if you're fighting other adventurers they'd simply focus fire one guy even more than already would happen, knowing that he'd eventually just be unable to be healed. that's kind of silly

Mm yes, things get silly if you use rules like the literal physics of a setting and then have characters absolutely know the physics for no other reason than to be annoying on the internet.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

I hate the Acolyte background!!

My party has been given a mission to capture a monster alive in a city. I have the idea to set an elaborate trap for the monster using Magic Circle! But I only have 50gp, and the spell consumes "holy water or powdered silver and iron worth 100gp" and I don't have the materials anyway. Hey, I know! I'll get my spell materials from my local church, which has a large presence in the city! I'm a level 6 cleric by the way.

So I go to the church and ask for holy water and find out the Acolyte background explicitly states they won't provide me spell materials. What the gently caress! I was so excited to have a use for my background! I mean I could understand if I wanted to cast Wish, or some material a church wouldn't have, but come the gently caress on!

FAT BATMAN fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Oct 9, 2016

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

FAT BATMAN posted:

My party has been given a mission to capture a monster alive in a city. I have the idea to set an elaborate trap for the monster using Magic Circle! But I only have 50gp, and the spell consumes "holy water or powdered silver and iron worth 100gp" and I don't have the materials anyway. Hey, I know! I'll get my spell materials from my local church, which has a large presence in the city! I'm a level 6 cleric by the way.

So I go to the church and ask for holy water and find out the Acolyte background explicitly states they won't provide me spell materials. What the gently caress! I was so excited to have a use for my background! I mean I could understand if I wanted to cast Wish, but come the gently caress on!

Yeah but you get extra languages!

(I like having lots of languages but it never comes up anyway)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

NachtSieger posted:

Mm yes, things get silly if you use rules like the literal physics of a setting and then have characters absolutely know the physics for no other reason than to be annoying on the internet.

wait. youre saying that characters would go into multiple fights , then suddenly have healing fail to work on a guy who keeps getting hit (let's say a barbarian) and not figure out that something is going on and just keep trying to heal him and he dies? or what happens here in your mind , does healing magic just fizzle randomly but not randomly at all? what about priests that sell their spells, none of this would ever pop up as an issue and become known over time? come on

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Yeah but you get extra languages!

(I like having lots of languages but it never comes up anyway)

I loving love it when my players take extra languages. Our games are usually the type where characters have different motivations toward mostly the same goals - for example, they are in an old mine right now. All of them are looking for orichalcum, but beyond that, one is looking for the alternate entrance to a mythical god-prison hidden deep under the continent because he thinks his dark goddess Shub Niggurauth is held there, one wants to parlay with the lizardfolk that have taken up residence, and one wants to sabotage the area so that it cannot be reopened*. Different languages give me an excuse to pass these players different notes and stuff relative to their unique goals with an in-setting reason.

FAT BATMAN posted:

So I go to the church and ask for holy water and find out the Acolyte background explicitly states they won't provide me spell materials. What the gently caress! I was so excited to have a use for my background! I mean I could understand if I wanted to cast Wish, or some material a church wouldn't have, but come the gently caress on!

That's insane. There's no reason for them to not give out holy water, it's not like they know innately that it's for a spell. I would have taken that to mean that you can't get the powdered silver, but giving out holy water is like the whole point of churches and temples in a lot of D&D games. Smack your DM upside the head.

* I want to expand on this one because I'm happy with how it's going and I cribbed parts of it from wayyyyy earlier in this thread (or maybe a similar one). The party's rogue spent much of the early campaign obsessing over a small box held by a merchant who had let his entire inventory burn while protecting it. After a lot of misadventures, the merchant basically pulled the rogue aside and said if he wanted the box so badly, he could have it. He opened the box to reveal the biggest drat astral diamond a player character could ever hope to see - and then explained that while it's worth enough to buy and sell entire kingdoms, the dead god whose temple he found it in turned out to be not nearly dead enough, and has been hounding him for years. So he gave the box to the rogue, under the assumption that a party of insane adventurers is much better equipped to handle the wrath of an ancient deity than a poor old gnome. The catch? The box is mystically sealed with a passphrase, and until the rogue helps him regain some of the power and influence he had before the god started ruining his life, it appears like a solid, mystically hard block of wood. The mine in question belonged to a fierce business rival.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

food court bailiff posted:

That's insane. There's no reason for them to not give out holy water, it's not like they know innately that it's for a spell. I would have taken that to mean that you can't get the powdered silver, but giving out holy water is like the whole point of churches and temples in a lot of D&D games. Smack your DM upside the head.

I had already told them what the holy water was for. I ended up asking a priest I knew at the church if he could do me a favor and give me holy water as a friend. He gave me a vial (25gp worth). I told the DM out of character I only had 54gp, so out of pity he gave me another vial. I have enough holy water now, but only 4gp to my name. :smith:

You'd think Clerics (especially powerful level 6 ones) of a popular religion would be allowed access to a "war chest" of funds and supplies with the trust that they only be used for selfless and good purposes.

FAT BATMAN fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Oct 9, 2016

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Still though....why? Like, in my campaign right now the only source of holy water is a fountain in a temple that is completely open to the public, because blessing a shitload of water is really easy to do for a bunch of priests who want to ingratiate themselves to the community anyway. Is there seriously some reason they're charging money for it at all? It's not like Joe Dirtfarmer is out there fighting vampires or whatever the gently caress, you know? Not a huge market.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Is there seriously some reason they're charging money for it at all?

Apparently PHB states making holy water takes an hour, a first level spell slot, and costs 25gp worth of powdered silver. My DM was like "oh, so it costs 25 to make, and they sell it for 25, so it's nonprofit."

FAT BATMAN fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Oct 9, 2016

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I suppose it comes down to how you define 'holy water'.

If you mean holy water in the traditional western way of just having a priest say, 'yeah, no that's holy alright' then yeah, it's cheap. If you assume it has any kind of cost associated with it then no, it isn't.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

FAT BATMAN posted:

Apparently PHB states making holy water takes an hour, a first level spell slot, and costs 25gp worth of powdered silver. My DM was like "oh, so it costs 25 to make, and they sell it for 25, so it's nonprofit."

Assuming a silver piece is 1/2 silver, 25gp of silver is 2.5 pounds of silver. A flask carries a single pint, and a flask of holy water weighs 1 pound. Where the hell is all that silver going?

There's no info on silver powder, so i looked at the currency exchange to try and see how they rationalize 250 sp of silver for a single flask.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Nasgate posted:

Assuming a silver piece is 1/2 silver, 25gp of silver is 2.5 pounds of silver. A flask carries a single pint, and a flask of holy water weighs 1 pound. Where the hell is all that silver going?

There's no info on silver powder, so i looked at the currency exchange to try and see how they rationalize 250 sp of silver for a single flask.

Maybe it's consumed by the spell. Maybe they have to use the 250 silver to pay a wizard to do it. Tough to say.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Now writing a Halloween monster Hunter campaign featuring a hustler church that coats all its "Holy" implements with powdered cold iron/silver and garlic oil.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

slap me and kiss me posted:

Maybe it's consumed by the spell. Maybe they have to use the 250 silver to pay a wizard to do it. Tough to say.

This is simultaneously the best and worst possible answer.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Kaysette posted:

All anime is bad. Hope this helps.

What's the best way I can use Conjure Animals? Eight wolves with pack attack was fun but I'm leaning towards 4 bears. Either way they seem to do a bunch of damage for two turns before they all go poof from soaking up attacks.

Flying Snakes. Nothing but Flying Snakes forever. :colbert:

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008
But if a holy man could just bless water all willy nilly then instead of the players tracking gp to buy low-rent alchemists fire the cleric might get it in his head that he could do something interesting like luring seductive vampires into a consecrated bath or blessing a ghost king's finest wine when he's not looking. Get that player entitlement bullshit out of here!

And being able to roll the same damage as a greatsword but without any bonuses or even being able to add your proficiency bonus to the attack roll and only to a very few selected enemies would be terribly broken if you could just do it whenever you wanted.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

OutsideAngel posted:

But if a holy man could just bless water all willy nilly then instead of the players tracking gp to buy low-rent alchemists fire the cleric might get it in his head that he could do something interesting like luring seductive vampires into a consecrated bath or blessing a ghost king's finest wine when he's not looking. Get that player entitlement bullshit out of here!

And being able to roll the same damage as a greatsword but without any bonuses or even being able to add your proficiency bonus to the attack roll and only to a very few selected enemies would be terribly broken if you could just do it whenever you wanted.

Tavern brawler(feat) would let you add you proficiency bonus then use a bonus action to grapple that ghoul. Which actually sounds hilarious.

Also for clarification, any cleric or paladin can bless water for 25gp of silver powder. It actually doesnt say how much you make, though it is implied to be a single flask.

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
Bless the town well with 100 lbs of silver powder to inoculate the town against vampires.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Nasgate posted:

Tavern brawler(feat) would let you add you proficiency bonus then use a bonus action to grapple that ghoul. Which actually sounds hilarious.

"Smash a bottle over that guy's head and then chuck him through the window" is an entirely traditional way of dealing with vampires, assuming holy water in the bottle and daylight outside.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Oct 10, 2016

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

captain innocuous posted:

Bless the town well with 100 lbs of silver powder to inoculate the town against vampires.

I had a group of players once that recruited a dozen priests to shower silver powder and bless all the water flowing out of a dam, and then redirected the river downstream to flow straight into the tomb of a vampire. It was double effective because it was running water on top of being holy water.

Only way they could destroy the vamp that was a dozen levels higher than they were.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Really Pants posted:

The one 4e-based boardgame I played has healing surges as a party resource; I assume most/all of the others did too..?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Really Pants posted:

Destiny Points in the FFG Star wars. They're a global resource for big powers/abilities/force stuff/having special bonuses appear etc. They flip back and forth between the GM having them and then they spend to flip back to the players having them.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Is Donjon down for anybody else or is something weird going on with my ISP?

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

Nah, it's down for me too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

This site is your friend http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/