Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

TeaJay posted:

If anyone actually does the patching, could you do a "for-dummies" type of guide? I'm reading the official guide, but I can't get the patch running. I get an error like this:

"file open failed: read: POLICENAUTS_1-1.iso: The system cannot find the file specified."

Even though I have named the file exactly like that.

I'll let you know when my copy is done downloading. It's probably a path issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

azurite posted:

I'll let you know when my copy is done downloading.

:ohdear: Please remember to delete it within 24 hours

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

So we all know that 8bitdo is making a n64 controller right? You can preorder it on Amazon. It comes out later this month.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Code Jockey posted:

I actually laughed out loud at this.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Code Jockey posted:

I own the Saturn edition of the game so by law I'm safe. Thanks Bill Clinton.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

azurite posted:

I'll let you know when my copy is done downloading. It's probably a path issue.

Got it working.

I'm not the most technically inclined so it should doable for anyone.

Have to play this more with more time, the setting and the dialogue seem quite interesting.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

TeaJay posted:

Got it working.

I'm not the most technically inclined so it should doable for anyone.

Have to play this more with more time, the setting and the dialogue seem quite interesting.

What'd you do? I'm having the same issue now.

EDIT: Oh, I'm a very silly person. I had file type hiding turned on. So I had files called POLICENAUTS_1-1.ISO.ISO *facepalm*

azurite fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 7, 2016

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Electric Lady posted:

What does a good price sound like for the rest of the games, if I'm to buy them off my brother?

There are a lot of good games there, many are $50+/ea like Castlevania, Truxton, Gunstar Heroes, maybe PSIV too.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Ineffiable posted:

So we all know that 8bitdo is making a n64 controller right? You can preorder it on Amazon. It comes out later this month.

I had no idea, pretty cool.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Stopped at Goodwill today and they had a Master System for $50:

Normally $50 is too high for a Goodwill purchase for me, but I've never actually seen a Master System in real life before. And it's in nice shape - even still has the film on the console and the stupid screw-in thumb sticks.

Unfortunately I can only play it with RF right now because the HD Retrovision cables, while they do work with the console, it doesn't play nice with my TV on the Master System. Guess I'll have to finally buy a Sega AV cable.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

wa27 posted:

Normally $50 is too high for a Goodwill purchase for me, but I've never actually seen a Master System in real life before. And it's in nice shape - even still has the film on the console and the stupid screw-in thumb sticks.

Unfortunately I can only play it with RF right now because the HD Retrovision cables, while they do work with the console, it doesn't play nice with my TV on the Master System. Guess I'll have to finally buy a Sega AV cable.

Cool find. Don't forget to play Snail Maze

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

wa27 posted:

I like to imagine that the SMS's "great" sports titles were intended sarcastically.

"What games do you have for this thing?"
"Well, there's football."
"Great, football." :rolleyes:

_____!
May 2, 2004

I just got my copy of Kira Kira Star Night DX for the Famicom. How does this not have a sound test? :psyduck:

I also thought this was new but from some searching it looks like it came out in 2013. Did they just decide to reprint it or is this somehow different? Either way it has some rad music.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

falz posted:

There are a lot of good games there, many are $50+/ea like Castlevania, Truxton, Gunstar Heroes, maybe PSIV too.

Just spotted Wings of Wor in there and while I'm not a huge shooter fan, that one is nifty and worth a play for the freaky visuals. :stonk:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Spoderman posted:

Cool find. Don't forget to play Snail Maze

It may not be Snail Maze. There's at least three versions of the Master System hardware: one with nothing, one with Snail Maze, and one with Alex Kidd. wa27, turn the system on with no cartridge in and tell us what happens.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

It may not be Snail Maze. There's at least three versions of the Master System hardware: one with nothing, one with Snail Maze, and one with Alex Kidd. wa27, turn the system on with no cartridge in and tell us what happens.

Snail maze! Had push a button combo though.

_____!
May 2, 2004

The dick boss in particular is gonk to the extreme. Great horizontal shooter.
Is that the normal label for it? I have it for Mega Drive (where it is called Gynoug) and the label has art and looks normal.

edit:I'm referring to Wings of Wor and did not mean to imply Snail Maze had gone X-rated.

_____! fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Oct 8, 2016

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Quiet Feet posted:

I like to imagine that the SMS's "great" sports titles were intended sarcastically.

"What games do you have for this thing?"
"Well, there's football."
"Great, football." :rolleyes:

lol

I really love the box art style for SMS games. It's just... I dunno, it's so basic and to the point. It's like those generic foods with a white box and giant block lettering saying PASTA or CHIPS, only with extra little clipart images of what the game's about.

I regret not buying a CIB Master System years ago, but it was just a little too spendy for what I'd really get out of it. It was in great, great shape though.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Kid Fenris posted:

FMV games figured prominently into the initial TurboGrafx CD push in North America, though. Look at the ads circa 1991 and you'll see It Came From the Desert and Sherlock Holmes promoted more than Valis II or Ys.

those are like the only FMV games ever made for it though, it's not like the SCD where thats half the US library

e: even the packins were all sprite based

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Random Stranger posted:

That can't be all of them, as the SMS I had came with a motorcycle game that looked very much like Rad Racer with a bike ( Can't recall the name ) and another game that I believe was called Safari Hunt, which was a light gun game.

Those were the two games you could play if you turned it on with no cart.

E: Looked it up, my SMS had Hang-On/Safari Hunt, and apparently there was a code to get to Snail Game that I never knew about until today.

Drowning Rabbit fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Oct 8, 2016

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
The SMS model 1 comes with Snail Maze, Hang-On/Safari Hunt, or very late models have Alex Kidd. the SMS model 2's come with either Alex Kidd or Sonic the Hedgehog.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Code Jockey posted:

lol

I really love the box art style for SMS games. It's just... I dunno, it's so basic and to the point. It's like those generic foods with a white box and giant block lettering saying PASTA or CHIPS, only with extra little clipart images of what the game's about.

I regret not buying a CIB Master System years ago, but it was just a little too spendy for what I'd really get out of it. It was in great, great shape though.

I always like Master System cart chat because I can trot out this:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wamdoodle posted:

I always like Master System cart chat because I can trot out this:

That's what Tonka wanted for the Master System covers, and by god they got it :colbert:.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things

falz posted:

Of all the games that I expected to be valuable, I didn't expect Truxton to be among them. Maybe it's just because it's a Toaplan game. I'll have to offer him more than I expected, certainly.

RE: Wings of Wor: yeah, unfortunately the US NTSC cartridge is rather boring. Apparently the Mega Drive carts look like this:

Unfortunately I'm not that great at shmups and haven't ever gotten particularly far in it. If anything I would focus on Thunder Force IV for now.

Is it easy to replace Genesis batteries? The Shining Force 2 cart always loses its saves right around when I get to the chessboard battle. I'd just swap the battery, but I don't know if I need a special one or just a regular lithium battery.

Electric Lady fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Oct 8, 2016

_____!
May 2, 2004

If you are familiar with de-soldering it shouldn't be a big deal. From some cursory Googling it looks like it uses a tabbed version of the CR-2032, but you'd want to check what kind it says on the battery itself if you can open the cart up since a lot of the battery backed up games (on other systems at least) used a rechargeable version of the 2032.

Don't take this as fact until someone else backs this up but it looks like it isn't rechargeable and this tabbed version should work judging by the listing's title: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CR2032-Lith...DwAAOSw-dBTuEyP

_____! fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 8, 2016

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

d0s posted:

those are like the only FMV games ever made for it though, it's not like the SCD where thats half the US library

e: even the packins were all sprite based

It wasn't about the library so much as the promotion. NEC gave Sherlock Holmes more attention than any other TurboGrafx CD game in the system's first few years, even after Ys Book I and II emerged as a critical favorite.

Here's an ad for the TurboGrafx family. Check out what headlines the CD attachment.

https://youtu.be/jQZy6AQalks

And what does Johnny Arcade play on the TurboGrafx CD at CES, even though Ys is right there next to him?

https://youtu.be/-Cp0f-t9Mes

I can't tell if the mascot that handwalks past them at 35 seconds is a Yo! Bro character or Wally Bear of the No! Gang.

Kid Fenris fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Oct 8, 2016

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

_____! posted:

The dick boss in particular is gonk to the extreme. Great horizontal shooter.
Is that the normal label for it? I have it for Mega Drive (where it is called Gynoug) and the label has art and looks normal.

edit:I'm referring to Wings of Wor and did not mean to imply Snail Maze had gone X-rated.

Looks like it. My copy has the same plain white label.

Elliotw2 posted:

The SMS model 1 comes with Snail Maze, Hang-On/Safari Hunt, or very late models have Alex Kidd. the SMS model 2's come with either Alex Kidd or Sonic the Hedgehog.

They don't all have Hang-on/Safari Hunt though. When my original console with those died, the replacement I got only had Snail Maze. :(

Guess it's not such a huge deal since the Hang-on/Safari Hunt cart is super cheap though. I ended up with one somehow ( don't even remember buying it) and I don't think I've ever played it. I'm just really, really bad at racing games in general and at Hang-on in particular.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Quiet Feet posted:

Looks like it. My copy has the same plain white label.

They don't all have Hang-on/Safari Hunt though. When my original console with those died, the replacement I got only had Snail Maze. :(

That's an "or" list. The original console probably came with that cart though.

I was thrilled to find mine had snail maze when I figured it out when I was a kid. Way better than Nintendo that just had a blinking screen iirc.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

falz posted:

I was thrilled to find mine had snail maze when I figured it out when I was a kid. Way better than Nintendo that just had a blinking screen iirc.

Actually, I did not mean it as an or. My console was Hang on AND safari hunt.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Actually, I did not mean it as an or. My console was Hang on AND safari hunt.

Yeah that's the only and on the list.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

falz posted:

Doesn't beat the pc engine and stacks of random easter eggs the system hid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhjw_MYYrJ4

This is what happens when you play dracula x on a system card 1 and there's tonnes of these random games or animation sequences a game will pop up with if say your memory is too full as well

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."
How do you all catalog your games? I have a spreadsheet set up that organizes everything that I have bought that is retro related and records date, price, condition and has links to price guides, articles etc.

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!
I just try to remember whether I have it or not. And then like a week later I finally get to cleaning/playing it and realize I already own a copy and throw it in my double pile.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Kid Fenris posted:

It wasn't about the library so much as the promotion. NEC gave Sherlock Holmes more attention than any other TurboGrafx CD game in the system's first few years, even after Ys Book I and II emerged as a critical favorite.

Here's an ad for the TurboGrafx family. Check out what headlines the CD attachment.

https://youtu.be/jQZy6AQalks

And what does Johnny Arcade play on the TurboGrafx CD at CES, even though Ys is right there next to him?

https://youtu.be/-Cp0f-t9Mes

I can't tell if the mascot that handwalks past them at 35 seconds is a Yo! Bro character or Wally Bear of the No! Gang.

of course they're going to use it to promote the thing because seeing FMV on a console was a novelty and to people who have never actually sat and played an FMV game it looks really impressive, but you kinda made it seem like the TG16 CD was all about pushing FMV multimedia poo poo when in reality it was just being used as a tech demo and the actual library was full of normal games. People weren't ignoring the TG16 CD because it was full of terrible FMV games, people were ignoring it because NEC's US marketing for the entire TG16 console was a dumpster fire and people barely knew what it was. If they were really trying to "push FMV" it would have a library which looked like the Sega CD's instead of just ticking off a box with two filler titles

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
It's what I do in the thread. I just post collection pictures and try to update them every few years or write down poo poo I need the most. Only the SMS where I would like to have a full collection has something resembling a record. A printout of all the games from an SMS site and a pink hi lighter covering games I own. (A green check mark for ones in transit. Back when money flowed and home appliances weren't crapping out on me.)

Hmm.. Maybe I'll do a Turbografx collection post this Sunday....

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

azurite posted:

What'd you do? I'm having the same issue now.

EDIT: Oh, I'm a very silly person. I had file type hiding turned on. So I had files called POLICENAUTS_1-1.ISO.ISO *facepalm*

I edited on the previous page but this was my problem too. And the fact that I didn't realize you had to name the WAV files as 1-2, 2-2 and 3-2 for each disc.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
speaking of master system, I impulsively ordered myself a copy of Kenseiden.

Which, while I still haven't checked, I"m only pretty sure I don't already have.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ambitious Spider posted:

speaking of master system, I impulsively ordered myself a copy of Kenseiden.

Which, while I still haven't checked, I"m only pretty sure I don't already have.

That's a good game to get and surprisingly under the radar for people.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Wizgot posted:

How do you all catalog your games? I have a spreadsheet set up that organizes everything that I have bought that is retro related and records date, price, condition and has links to price guides, articles etc.

I just use CLZ Games to catalog what I actually own. I kinda wish I would've kept track of what I paid for each game. I guess leaving the receipts in the cases is good enough for now. Does anyone leave the price stickers on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Random Stranger posted:

That's a good game to get and surprisingly under the radar for people.

Turns out I didn't have it. Does it have a Genesis sequel by any chance? It seems kind of familiar.

• Locked thread