Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

JB50 posted:

I hate how in recent films (not just Batman) theyre doing this thing where they argue that the heros ARE the problem because the bad guys come to fight them. Thats like saying the police are the problem when people commit crimes. Its a dumb argument, and if the heros werent there youd all be slaves or dead.
People apparently want to watch a movie where Bruce Wayne decides being Batman is a dumb immature idea and instead dedicates his life helping the poor class and funding the inner city to end crime.

The same people also love to talk about how the entire MCU is fascistic and right wing propaganda instead of fun pulp movies where you don't look into deeper meaning or give a poo poo about how good it looks from a cinematographic level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

achillesforever6 posted:

People apparently want to watch a movie where Bruce Wayne decides being Batman is a dumb immature idea and instead dedicates his life helping the poor class and funding the inner city to end crime.

I would definitely watch that movie.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Why can't he do both?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Light Gun Man posted:

Why can't he do both?

In the comics he does.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

achillesforever6 posted:

The Dark Knight Rises?

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Jay standing in the water of Lake Wisconsin and Mike at the edge dipping his toe in too afraid to let Jay know he doesn't know how to swim

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
There are few things I can take from this, but one thing is that we've had heroes for so long that the only thing left for them to be is wittingly or unwittingly the 'real' bad guys.

To steal a bit from Batman v Superman and the long-running theological debate: Superheroes are all powerful and good. Superheroes aren't ending the evils of ____________, though. If evil and crime still exists even with them, then that means either they're not all powerful and therefore do not deserve to act out their fantasies at pretending to be heroes because they CAN'T actually do anything and therefore are worthless, or they're not actually good and morally they really don't care about all the evil existing in the world and are just satisfying their own selfish desires. In either case they shouldn't be worshiped as heroes.

Meanwhile, I think we're positioning the traditional 'bad guys' into taking up actions and philosophies that make them into more ideological rivals who are actually the REAL heroes of the film or to turn them into heroes because they're more honest or something.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
kylo ren can't become a hero. He's already done too much bad guy stuff. At best he can become the Vegeta of the franchise

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
I hope rouge one has a soundtrack by Rush.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I want a Batman movie franchise of Bruce Wayne preparing to be Batman for the course of 4-5 films, and the films climax to someone just saying, "Someone should do something about all these criminals that the cops can't do anything about!"

Bruce Wayne looks sternly into a fireplace, contemplating his dead parents, his hard work training himself to his physical and mental peak to be more than human...

"Yes, someone should..."

Cut do a GNN report that the Wayne Foundation has ear-marked a bunch of money to be distributed over the course of the next few years for training, staffing and equipping GCPD officers to deal with crime or donating a lot of money to 'tough on crime' candidates. Then by film five people argue that Bruce is still the greatest villain Gotham has ever known because his solution to trying to end a system of corruption and crime was just to give it more money, resources and power.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Batman would definitely do steroids. I want a scene of him injecting testosterone into his butt and then hitting the gym right before he goes out on the streets to roid range on some guy and beat him to a pulp

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Zzulu posted:

kylo ren can't become a hero. He's already done too much bad guy stuff. At best he can become the Vegeta of the franchise

The same could likely be said of Vader and he's a fan favorite who secretly was a hero of the OT because he was manipulated and was trying to over throw the Emperor the whole time and whatever else.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Zzulu posted:

He can become a good guy but it would still suck if he just gets off the hook so he'll probably become a good guy and then get himself killed. Kinda like grandpa vader.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Bruce Wayne as a Batman who drives around in his car filming people on his phone and uploading potential crimes in progress to a his live-streaming Youtube channel and constantly calling the cops. That's all he does.

His electronically distorted voice over is him on the line with 911 or complaining about the slow response time of police or, "Remember, none of this footage is actually of people committing a crime until they're found guilty in a court of law. What do you think happened? Leave a comment below to tell me what you think and remember: if you like this this video and want to see more like it, subscribe, like and click on the links to my other videos."

Andro Dunos
Dec 11, 2003

MrSlam posted:

I didn't equate Force with Telekinesis.

What about when Obi Wan throws the switch on the Death Star in the first movie?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The force is whatever it needs to be

Literal wizard magic

Mindcontrol? Sure. Telekinesis? Sure. Electricity bolts shooting from your hands? Sure why the hell not

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Zzulu posted:

Rey is going to be in a position where she is uncertain if killing someone is the correct and moral choice and then Kylo Ren will kill the person so that the badguy can die and Rey can still have clean hands.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Capntastic posted:

Rey is going to be in a position where she is uncertain if killing someone is the correct and moral choice and then Kylo Ren will kill the person so that the badguy can die and Rey can still have clean hands.

I've said this before, but with Man of Steel, I sort of wished that given how much Ghost Jor-El was used in the film, they should have just kept him alive as a prisoner on Zod's ship the entire film and had him be the one who did something like kill Zod, destroy the birthing ship, etc. Something like that. All those arguments surrounding, "Superman wouldn't do that!" could sort of be instantly quieted by Jor-El making one of those that choices or something.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Baronjutter posted:

Luke was kinda whiney and made some not-perfect choices and had some development. I liked Rey but she's just perfect in every way. She's already some how nearly perfectly trained simply as a natural, she always has the perfect quip (very important in movies today!), she's never selfish and always does the right good thing. She's fun and nice and cool though so her being a Mary Sue isn't really that bad and shows that it's not some scarlet letter, a Mary Sue when done well can be fine.

Zzulu posted:

Im fine with her being a natural
Shes goku, basically

DangerDummy! posted:

The Force Awakens was a well made movie for eight year olds, featuring a character eight year old girls would absolutely love, and my eight year old daughter thought it was super awesome, and I was very happy to watch a movie with her that I didn't hate.

5 loving stars. Succeeds on all levels.

thoughts and prayers fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Oct 8, 2016

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Kid goku was a idiot country bumpkin that got whipped up on as much as he won. Adult goku didn't even want to be a hero. The guys that were heroic couldn't fight and because goku would lose initially, it made him more powerful (by virture of being a saiyan).

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Is Goku really a natural, though? He's a character that I could have sworn had to go through some massive training and pretty frequently got beaten to (near) death on several occasions.

Goku's I thought was also portrayed as a bit of an idiot with the exception of things like fighting where he's able to make some actually pretty complicated plans if he's thinking about it like a fighting strategy.

Gohan might be a good example of someone who is naturally way more powerful than he should be, but I think even a lot of that seems balanced by him being sort of a coward at worst, or afraid of his own power at best, that sort of holds him back.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I think Kylo makes for a good reverse Darth Vader. Let's ignore the prequels for this comparison.

On the bridge before he turned Han into a kabob was his Vader staring at the Emperor as he lightning'd the gently caress out of Luke, but because Kylo has this warped vision of Vader, he thought the 'strong' thing to do was to let the Emperor fry the kid/stab his dad. Thus, we get to witness what happened if Vader chose the dark path in the ultimate moment, but I feel that this arc would only be successful if Ren doesn't get the redemption that Vader does. He had the opportunity, and took the Dark path. Any redemption arc he gets will feel pretty hollow, as it would be tainted by 'Yeah, sure he did the right thing in the end, but, like... Dude loving killed Han.'

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

JediTalentAgent posted:

Is Goku really a natural, though? He's a character that I could have sworn had to go through some massive training and pretty frequently got beaten to (near) death on several occasions.

Goku's I thought was also portrayed as a bit of an idiot with the exception of things like fighting where he's able to make some actually pretty complicated plans if he's thinking about it like a fighting strategy.

Gohan might be a good example of someone who is naturally way more powerful than he should be, but I think even a lot of that seems balanced by him being sort of a coward at worst, or afraid of his own power at best, that sort of holds him back.

most of Dragonball is Goku getting beaten to near death and then learning something and training to come back and win round 2. he does lose the first couple martial arts tournaments tho

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Vader getting redeemed is so retarded

This is the motherfucker responsible for the death star blowing up planets and then he kills one bad guy and suddenly his force ghost or whatever is ok chilling with the heroes

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Zzulu posted:

This is the motherfucker responsible for the death star blowing up planets and then he kills one bad guy and suddenly his force ghost or whatever is ok chilling with the heroes

Welcome to Protestantism.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
It's all a ruse and it turns out Vader/Anakin is killing Jedi Force Ghosts.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Zzulu posted:

Grand Moff Tarkin gave the order. Vader was just muscle. Vader just wants the plans he's had a horrible day dealing with his coked out daughter.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Zzulu posted:

Batman would definitely do steroids. I want a scene of him injecting testosterone into his butt and then hitting the gym right before he goes out on the streets to roid range on some guy and beat him to a pulp

Yo I have this idea for a batman story I'm waiting until I'm super famous to write but trust me this is a big part of it.

P.S. its steroids and like gorilla DNA.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Irradiation posted:

Top Secret and Airplane have those scene framing gags that are some of the funniest things in cinema because they are so unexpected.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Don't forget one of the earlier movies in the genre, Kentucky Fried Movie, with the Enter the Dragon spoof.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi2qFDdXr_Q&t=806s

The whole movie is great.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

It really is this.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Speaking of framing gags, Hot Shots deserves an honorable mention

And speaking of Verhoeven's Starship Troopers

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

There's literally nothing wrong with this, Papist.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Maybe Batman is not quite right in the head.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Zzulu posted:

Vader isn't responsible for the death star blowing up planets smdh

He just stands holding Leia back while Tarkin kills everyone on Alderaan.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Zzulu posted:

Do you understand what the word redemption means?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Nanomashoes posted:

There's literally nothing wrong with this, Papist.

Lol whatever dude, I'm not getting into a religious debate in the Red Letter Medium comedy thread.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Paladinus posted:

Do you understand what the word redemption means?

Yes? What are you trying to say buddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

jBrereton posted:

Vader isn't responsible for the death star blowing up planets smdh

He just stands holding Leia back while Tarkin kills everyone on Alderaan.

yeah and the nazis in the concentration camps weren't responsible for all the jews dying, they were just guarding the gas chamber doors after all

• Locked thread