Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

I think you misinterpreted my post, I unironically love the term. No sarcasm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

mycot posted:

I think you misinterpreted my post, I unironically love the term. No sarcasm.

Oh,sorry. I mean,they did popularize the phrase,much like how the Nostalgia Chick popularized the Smurfette Principle. But that's probably the least offensive thing to come from them,honestly.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

It happened most notably to Homer out of anyone on the show, they even lampshaded it themselves at one point with him calling himself "Jerkass Homer."
As far as side characters go, I'd say Ralph was more noticeable than Flanders, in that he went from "the weird kid" to "the retarded kid."

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

raditts posted:

I'd say Ralph was more noticeable than Flanders, in that he went from "the weird kid" to "the retarded kid."

It's genetics.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The Simpsons came into its own when it found the defining characteristic for each character and brought it to the fore.

Then it turned everyone into an angry or depressed sad sack with their defining characteristic dialled to eleven, so everyone became this weird schizophrenic; Moe explodes at people then bursts into tears, Nelson insults people then bursts into tears, Flanders yells at people then delivers kind words with a bright smile (or vice versa), Burns does something evil then immediately becomes frail and confused, etc etc.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Just a reminder that PBS's Arthur turned 20 years old today.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The Simpsons came into its own when it found the defining characteristic for each character and brought it to the fore.

Then it turned everyone into an angry or depressed sad sack with their defining characteristic dialled to eleven, so everyone became this weird schizophrenic; Moe explodes at people then bursts into tears, Nelson insults people then bursts into tears, Flanders yells at people then delivers kind words with a bright smile (or vice versa), Burns does something evil then immediately becomes frail and confused, etc etc.

Hurricane Neddy was the most interesting Flanders has ever been, because they allowed him to have a relatable flaw besides his overly-pious posturing. His secret burning rage that fueled his cutesy sayings made him much more interesting, and they could have developed that with him channelling it to start standing up to Homer just a little more even if not making it an actual arc. Just occasional scenes of him almost but not quite losing his temper could have helped his character a lot.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Casimir Radon posted:

Just a reminder that PBS's Arthur turned 20 years old today.

Why does the animation of modern Arthur look so lovely.

I assume it's flash's fault and the Arthur people not having enough money,time, or giving enough fucks.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

PhazonLink posted:

I assume it's flash's fault and the Arthur people not having enough money,time, or giving enough fucks.

PBS is not exactly known for their huge budgets nowadays

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Or ever.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Hihohe posted:

What is it called when in a show, character traits get exaggerated as the show goes on? I swear ive seen a comic with it explained.

This happened with Scrubs, to JD and Elliot especially, and it killed my enjoyment of the show the longer it went on

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Macaluso posted:

This happened with Scrubs, to JD and Elliot especially, and it killed my enjoyment of the show the longer it went on

Sad boyman yearns for human touch and a blonde doctor says hoohoo instead of vagina, The Show.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Hihohe posted:

What is it called when in a show, character traits get exaggerated as the show goes on? I swear ive seen a comic with it explained.

Here's the comic you're probably thinking of: http://www.cracked.com/article_18741_the-evolution-fictional-characters-by-medium-5Bcomic5D.html

The worst Flanderizatjon I've seen is probably Kevin from the American office. He started based on a minor character in the British version who had a slow, deadpan way of speaking.Then they had him giggle once or twice at sex jokes.

That lead to a low point near the end they had an interview joke where he hopes someone will explain the ABCs to him. The guy had a cancer scare. He liked to play poker and was surprisingly good at basketball. He was shy around a woman he liked. And he became a big dumb fatty who didn't know the alphabet.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Oct 10, 2016

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

They changed production to 9 Story Media Group (Cookie Jar Group merged with DHX Media) for seasons 16 through 19 (Cookie Jar Group worked on it from season 1 to 15. Everyone hated it. Seasons 20 and 21 are Oasis Animation. My PBS hasn't shown much of 19 from what I've seen and I don't think 20 and 21 are even done yet.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

BioEnchanted posted:

Hurricane Neddy was the most interesting Flanders has ever been, because they allowed him to have a relatable flaw besides his overly-pious posturing. His secret burning rage that fueled his cutesy sayings made him much more interesting, and they could have developed that with him channelling it to start standing up to Homer just a little more even if not making it an actual arc. Just occasional scenes of him almost but not quite losing his temper could have helped his character a lot.

Speaking of Hurricane Neddy, as much as I liked that episode and immensely enjoyed Ned making GBS threads on everyone, the impetus for his outburst really never made sense to me. I mean, he flips his poo poo because the denizens of Springfield rebuild his (completely destroyed) house, but do a pretty lovely job which causes it to be re-destroyed? Okay, that definitely sucks and all, but this is one of the few times in the series' history where the people of Springfield actually make an effort to help out and not be selfish dickheads. I mean, it was honestly quite admirable and sweet, in fact. It'd be one thing if he became incredibly depressed afterwards, and used that as an excuse to question his faith, wondering why he can't catch a break despite his very best attempts to be a good, decent human being. But to become absolutely infuriated? Doesn't exactly follow well.

It's kind of a similar complaint I had with the Poochy episode. The problem was never that the addition of Poochy himself turned Itchy and Scratchy into poo poo. It was that they removed all the other stuff that made Itchy and Scratchy enjoyable to begin with.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Eh. You get your hopes lifted, only to have them crash around you in a burning fire, because well meaning people didn't do the bare minimum and hire a contractor first.

His kids could have been hurt. He could have been hurt. They over looked some pretty glaring issues, and it's not just a home, it's his investment and livelihood.

Good intentions only go SO far.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The Poochy episode clearly comes from a place of hard, painful experience and is absolutely phenomenal as a result.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Mr Interweb posted:

Speaking of Hurricane Neddy, as much as I liked that episode and immensely enjoyed Ned making GBS threads on everyone, the impetus for his outburst really never made sense to me. I mean, he flips his poo poo because the denizens of Springfield rebuild his (completely destroyed) house, but do a pretty lovely job which causes it to be re-destroyed? Okay, that definitely sucks and all, but this is one of the few times in the series' history where the people of Springfield actually make an effort to help out and not be selfish dickheads. I mean, it was honestly quite admirable and sweet, in fact. It'd be one thing if he became incredibly depressed afterwards, and used that as an excuse to question his faith, wondering why he can't catch a break despite his very best attempts to be a good, decent human being. But to become absolutely infuriated? Doesn't exactly follow well.

It's kind of a similar complaint I had with the Poochy episode. The problem was never that the addition of Poochy himself turned Itchy and Scratchy into poo poo. It was that they removed all the other stuff that made Itchy and Scratchy enjoyable to begin with.

:thejoke:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

PicklePants posted:

Eh. You get your hopes lifted, only to have them crash around you in a burning fire, because well meaning people didn't do the bare minimum and hire a contractor first.

His kids could have been hurt. He could have been hurt. They over looked some pretty glaring issues, and it's not just a home, it's his investment and livelihood.

Good intentions only go SO far.

Okay, I guess I kinda see it that way.

If you're referring to the Poochy episode....was it though? I mean yeah, the thought had crossed my mind, but given what happened with later episodes, I could just as easily believe they just didn't care whether the plot made any sense or not.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Well I mean like the whole thing with the Poochie episode is that he's a character that represents a general misunderstanding of what people want in favor of generic focus tested buzzwords. I mean yes it's not the character himself that's the problem but the very culture that created him but all the blame still falls on the character leaving Homer to feel like he did something wrong

Also, in the other episode Flanders bursting at an inappropriate time is like the point of the episode and us acknowledged by multiple characters including Flanders himself who says as much when he checks himself into the mental hospital.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
When are they getting to the fireworks factory?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Dr Christmas posted:

The worst Flanderizatjon I've seen is probably Kevin from the American office. He started based on a minor character in the British version who had a slow, deadpan way of speaking.Then they had him giggle once or twice at sex jokes.

That lead to a low point near the end they had an interview joke where he hopes someone will explain the ABCs to him. The guy had a cancer scare. He liked to play poker and was surprisingly good at basketball. He was shy around a woman he liked. And he became a big dumb fatty who didn't know the alphabet.

What about Abed from Community? In season one he's awkward and oblivious at times but means well and makes movie references because pop culture helps him understand and relate to people...then by season three he's basically an alien in a human skin suit who torments his friends, thinks that Dr Who is real, and ends the season trying to cut off someone's arm with an electric knife because people from another dimension are telling him to.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

Guy Mann posted:

an alien in a human skin suit who torments his friends

That's just the Dan Harmon talking.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Guy Mann posted:

What about Abed from Community? In season one he's awkward and oblivious at times but means well and makes movie references because pop culture helps him understand and relate to people...then by season three he's basically an alien in a human skin suit who torments his friends, thinks that Dr Who is real, and ends the season trying to cut off someone's arm with an electric knife because people from another dimension are telling him to.

Man, I'd forgotten that show had already started to turn in season 3. Then went 3 more seasons after that.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

MariusLecter posted:

When are they getting to the fireworks factory?

Truely a question for our generation.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like Parks and Rec went through the reverse of flanderization. Towards the end of their run, the flaws of the characters sort of fell away as their problems were corrected and they all went off to bigger and better things in a more boilerplate empowerment story.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

raditts posted:

Man, I'd forgotten that show had already started to turn in season 3. Then went 3 more seasons after that.

turn really good, yeah, i agree

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Arist posted:

turn really good, yeah, i agree

.............no.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I was wondering, how come there hasn't been a new GI JOE cartoon? Is it the terrorist stuff?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Seasons of Community, ranked: 3>6>1>2>5>>>>4

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

spooky like this! posted:

I was wondering, how come there hasn't been a new GI JOE cartoon? Is it the terrorist stuff?

I wouldn't be surprised if that was a factor.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

There was a new GI Joe show that came out sometime around 2010 I think. You probably didn't know about it because it was on the channel formerly known as the hub. It was on Netflix a while back, don't know if it still is.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Doubtful, as Gaunab mentioned there was GI Joe Renegades just a couple of years ago, where Cobra was still a terrorist organization, but it had a Koch-like legitimate front.
It only got one season though, because the showrunner or some higher-up died. The Hub's push at the time to make all their kids' programming ride the brony wave didn't help either.

As to why there hasn't been another since then, probably because The Hub crumbled so Hasbro doesn't have any outlet for all their toy cartoon IPs anymore.

raditts fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 13, 2016

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
GI Joe is just really hard to sell toys for these days, especially for an international audience.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

raditts posted:

Doubtful, as Gaunab mentioned there was GI Joe Renegades just a couple of years ago, where Cobra was still a terrorist organization, but it had a Koch-like legitimate front.
It only got one season though, because the showrunner or some higher-up died. The Hub's push at the time to make all their kids' programming ride the brony wave didn't help either.

As to why there hasn't been another since then, probably because The Hub crumbled so Hasbro doesn't have any outlet for all their toy cartoon IPs anymore.

The fact that it was pretty much the A-Team probably didn't help,either. I mean,there was even an episode where they gotta rescue this guy from a prison where the warden's holding illegal cage fights. Pretty much a first-season episode of A-Team.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Also it just sucked, the episodes i saw were trying to be realistic and tactical and that is antithesis to GI Joe.

ZixTheYeti
Jul 12, 2005

Hellarious!

MariusLecter posted:

Also it just sucked, the episodes i saw were trying to be realistic and tactical and that is antithesis to GI Joe.

You made me try to imagine the exact opposite of that and now I'm very depressed we don't have GI Joe: World Police.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

J-Jesus, Gumball.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Waffleman_ posted:

J-Jesus, Gumball.

So that's why we haven't seen Nicole's family! Her mom sounds like a real Lucille Bluth.

I missed last week's, apparently it was a House of Cards parody and it was really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

raditts posted:

I think the only good thing to come from the Hub was Dan Vs, unless I forgetting some other shows