Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Really Triss just needs to gently caress off and live her own life.

...with Geralt. :colbert:

Team Triss, muthafuckaaaaaaaaz!

edit:

Drifter fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
mods change my name to waifu wolf tia

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Palpek posted:

It's true that CDPR substituted Triss for Yen in TW1 but it wasn't because they weren't allowed to but because they chose to do so. It's not clear why that happened but I imagine they wanted to soften the transition from the book saga's ending. I imagine it could have felt a bit too cheap to have everybody back like nothing ever happened so CDPR decided to mix things up a bit.

I remember reading somewhere that CDPR didn't have Yen appear in TW1 because the writing staff felt that depicting her complicated character in the right way would be too difficult or something like that.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
How much time has actually passed between W1 and W3?

e: lol new thread title

redbackground fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Oct 7, 2016

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

redbackground posted:

How much time has actually passed between W1 and W3?

e: lol new thread title

About 2 years

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

Where is this stated? I thought it was more or less one month from the end of Witcher 1 to the beginning of Witcher 2, plus six months from 2 to 3.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Nycticeius posted:

Where is this stated? I thought it was more or less one month from the end of Witcher 1 to the beginning of Witcher 2, plus six months from 2 to 3.

i googled it and found some nerd wiki timeline so i trust those nerds looked it up, i am not going to be surprised if im wrong

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Each game takes place roughly a year apart from each other, months notwithstanding, as the only dates given are "Witcher 1: 1270, Witcher 2: 1271, Witcher 3: 1272."

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Okay, in Skellige, I just did the neato Bear CSI quest you get if you support Cerys as king. Now I know that what Geralt probably meant to articulate was 'we don't know if the bears were supernatural or not,' but when he just saw three angry bears rip apart a room full of vikings, it seemed incredibly odd to me when you examine one of the mauling victims, he goes "Hmm. Fang marks, claw marks, broken bones... hard to say what killed him".

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Omi no Kami posted:

Okay, in Skellige, I just did the neato Bear CSI quest you get if you support Cerys as king. Now I know that what Geralt probably meant to articulate was 'we don't know if the bears were supernatural or not,' but when he just saw three angry bears rip apart a room full of vikings, it seemed incredibly odd to me when you examine one of the mauling victims, he goes "Hmm. Fang marks, claw marks, broken bones... hard to say what killed him".

He's commenting on which of the injuries killed him, not where they came from.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe

DelphiAegis posted:

Did I do the artist-ing right?

What is this quest and how do I get it??

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Joda posted:

What is this quest and how do I get it??

It's one of the things you can do at the big party in Blood and Wine.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Coughing Hobo posted:

Ooh, semantics are hard.

Although honestly, the best answer to that question would still be angry bear.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

and you would technically be wrong

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Coughing Hobo posted:

yeah, i read that as 'any one of these horrific bear wounds could have killed him and right now it's sort of academic, maybe i'll bring it up as pillow talk with shani next time we're in a boat together'

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

sebmojo posted:

yeah, i read that as 'any one of these horrific bear wounds could have killed him and right now it's sort of academic, maybe i'll bring it up as pillow talk with shani next time we're in a boat together'

Speaking of which, am I the only one who's disappointed that Cerys wasn't a romance option? I appreciate that they lightened up on 1 & 2's thing where Geralt could seduce anything that moved, but she was really awesome.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Omi no Kami posted:

Speaking of which, am I the only one who's disappointed that Cerys wasn't a romance option? I appreciate that they lightened up on 1 & 2's thing where Geralt could seduce anything that moved, but she was really awesome.

She WAS pretty cool. So just let her have her own agency unrelated to fuckin' Geralt.
He put her on a throne, that's good enough.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I mean Geralt knew her when she was a child so it'd be kinda creepy.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

SirSamVimes posted:

I mean Geralt knew her when she was a child so it'd be kinda creepy.

I don't know. What would Aatrek say, "That just means you know where she's ticklish?" And then something about Star Trek, maybe.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Crach would probably kick geralt's rear end if he banged cerys. Crach remembers geralt from when Crach was cerys's age.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Cerys is great. I had to reload to let her win the race, she seemed so drat cut about losing. And then she's your partner in solving demon crimes and BEAR CRIMES :black101: (bear crimes best crimes).

Is whether or not you snowball fight Ciri important to the ending? At some point in the future I want to replay this and do stuff differently but that scene was super adorable and the witcher world is a better place for having had it happen. I'd look it up but I don't want to spoil myself on the stuff I didn't do first time around.

And I will never break Yen's heart :colbert:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Gitro posted:

Is whether or not you snowball fight Ciri important to the ending? At some point in the future I want to replay this and do stuff differently but that scene was super adorable and the witcher world is a better place for having had it happen. I'd look it up but I don't want to spoil myself on the stuff I didn't do first time around.

And I will never break Yen's heart :colbert:

Heck yeah it is. You have maybe four to seven points where your 'parenting' of Ciri determines whether she lives or dies at the very end. The time in the snow is one of them.

However many times you replay the game, don't you dare be a bad parent to Ciri. :argh:

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Drifter posted:

However many times you replay the game, don't you dare be a bad parent to Ciri. :argh:

Good Dad Geralt is the only acceptable Geralt.

Three constants: dad good, Yen good, trolls good.

Gitro fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Oct 8, 2016

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Speaking of which, I really wish Geralt went around telling awful dad jokes. Like, when he and Cerys were doing their CSI thing and she went "those bears must've been berserkers," I was begging in my mind for him to do "you mean bearserkers?", and for her to just stare until he coughed and shuffled away.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Omi no Kami posted:

Speaking of which, I really wish Geralt went around telling awful dad jokes. Like, when he and Cerys were doing their CSI thing and she went "those bears must've been berserkers," I was begging in my mind for him to do "you mean bearserkers?", and for her to just stare until he coughed and shuffled away.

screw shame, I want him to say that and then smirk that 'bad dad joke' smirk until she just shakes her head and leaves

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Is that an imperfection in your notice? :smuggo:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

MikeJF posted:

screw shame, I want him to say that and then smirk that 'bad dad joke' smirk until she just shakes her head and leaves

I think he even uses the bad dad joke smirk during That Scene with Yennefer.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Omi no Kami posted:

I still haven't finished 3 (I've only just started Skellige), but as someone who's only ever played the games, I have a really deep distrust of Yennefer. I'm okay with Triss, largely because she's the love interest I've seen the most of through the games. I know for a fact that sorceresses in general tend to be pretty cutthroat and self-centered, and I believe the narrator and all Geralt's friends when they say that he and Yen are a once-in-a-lifetime match thing, but I dunno; I get the vibe that she'd use and leave Geralt in an instant if that was more personally advantageous than working with him, and I never got that from Triss. (Shani is obviously the best, but she apparently doesn't appear in 3 so phooey.)

Yen is genuinely in love with Geralt but she's not very comfortable or trusting in relationships and Geralt has hurt her in the past. One reason she dismisses your excuse about amnesia is that Geralt has walked out on her before and not turned up for years.

Yen is just not going to exude warmth or act needy. Standard video game girlfriend behavior is totally out of character. But does Geralt seem like the kind of guy who would want a clingy high-maintenance girlfriend?

If you like bad jokes make sure you do all the dialog with Yen in Skellige.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Oct 8, 2016

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I just finished Hearts of Stone (which was fantastic) and i didn't help Olgierd because frankly gently caress his whiny rear end. I'm torn on reloading the save and getting those two swords though. How good are they? Hope me goons.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

sebmojo posted:

I just finished Hearts of Stone (which was fantastic) and i didn't help Olgierd because frankly gently caress his whiny rear end. I'm torn on reloading the save and getting those two swords though. How good are they? Hope me goons.

Better than the base game witcher gear, worse than what you'll get in BaW.

It's nothing fancy like Iris, or the shovel.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

God Skellige is so prettOH gently caress OFF HARPIES

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

awesome now i'm in the sea and have to swim 500m to the closest bit of shoreline.

thanks harpies

tharpies

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

MikeJF posted:

This happened to me a few hours ago, and it's a pretty apt summary of my time in Skellige so far:

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
There're so many harpies it's a wonder they get any fishing done at all

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

also it's really cool how the "use the crossbow underwater to instantly kill things" isn't spelled out until quite late in the game in some random quest, so all those smuggler caches where you get molested by drowners trying to empty them were pointless annoyances!!

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Better than the base game witcher gear, worse than what you'll get in BaW.

It's nothing fancy like Iris, or the shovel.

I used the the steel one a decent way into B&W, it's special ability is real good.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

MikeJF posted:

I got a really good laugh out of this. I was so excited when I got that horn but then it hardly does anything (in my experience).

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

also it's really cool how the "use the crossbow underwater to instantly kill things" isn't spelled out until quite late in the game in some random quest, so all those smuggler caches where you get molested by drowners trying to empty them were pointless annoyances!!

I'm sorry to hear that

I stumbled onto the underwater crossbow thing by accident when I tried to soften up some drowners and it took me a second to realize they were getting one-shorted

Because you're not conditioned to think of the crossbow as anything but a plinker

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

I just finished up Equine Phantoms. This game is chock-full of extremely awesome quests, and this was one of the best. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012
Started up again after a long break. Tried to do no HUD/mini map and just went in circles since I have no sense of direction in game even though I'm one of those weirdos who can point north at any time irl.

Also, not sure if it was a patch or what, but my toxicity was not where it should have been (104 instead of 240) and was crippling my build til I unequippped and re equipped Acquired Tolerance and another green. Was fine after that.