Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

JosefStalinator posted:

Am I the only one who wasn't really all that shocked or moved by the "grab her pussy" news? When I read it I was like "oh, look, another dumb Trump comment". Then it EXPLODED in a way that made me think, "what the hell, do things matter now?"

What makes this much worse than calling Mexicans rapists, birthers, or any of the other stupid poo poo?

I think a lot of right wing shitheads will still draw a line at physical contact. Like they think anything they say is fine and all complaints are just pc bullshit because it is just words and FREEDOM OF SPEECH and so on. It's like if instead of calling Mexican people rapists he shoved one down a flight of stairs then bragged about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

isk posted:

Even in 1999/2000 it was pretty interesting. My advice to college students is to take a Poly Sci class in an election year, especially if the professor has campaign experience. Sometimes we'd skip the planned lecture and discuss the state of the election at the time.

For my students, during the primaries I did a weekly (was once a week class) update on the current delegate counts, and a quick run down of upcoming races, general news, etc.

I started this semester showing polls and important dates, info, etc, but I don't even know what to do now. I think a lot are getting burnt out on it so I might lay low on it for a bit and let them digest the insanity that is the election for themselves.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
"I'm sorry, I guess, if I offended anyone who can't take a good fingering joke."

He's the worst, but we knew that already. I love how some crazy Republicans call the release of the tape a "disgusting smear campaign". And yet there will still be millions and millions of people voting for him. An election straight out of the Twilight Zone.

edit:

https://twitter.com/TheFix/status/784571545997959168?lang=de

Like others have said: apparently the crossing into the physical realm of hands-on sexual harassment was necessary for some of them to wake the gently caress up.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Oct 8, 2016

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

JosefStalinator posted:

This all makes sense, thank you. This election has absolutely broken me because I genuinely was nonplussed by this latest thing. We all knew he was a creep based on 100000000000 other pieces of evidence, but I'm still amazed that it took him explicitly saying "grab them by the pussy" in a recorded video to make people go "oh man, I wonder if this guy doesn't really respect women???".

A lot of people don't listen to women, sadly. It took the man himself saying it in extremely explicit terms before people took the possibility of him actually being a misogynist and/or sexual criminal (he's both but some people only care about the latter) seriously.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Oct 8, 2016

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Roland Jones posted:

A lot of people don't listen to women, sadly. It took the man himself saying it in extremely explicit terms before people took the possibility of him actually being a misogynist and/or sexual criminal (he's both but some people only care about the latter) seriously.

Seriously. Usually I post facetiously, mostly because I try to let folks more qualified than me speak about it, but it's clear this election has shed light on a lot of important stuff.

JosefStalinator posted:

For my students, during the primaries I did a weekly (was once a week class) update on the current delegate counts, and a quick run down of upcoming races, general news, etc.

I started this semester showing polls and important dates, info, etc, but I don't even know what to do now. I think a lot are getting burnt out on it so I might lay low on it for a bit and let them digest the insanity that is the election for themselves.

Trying to imagine what my favorite Poly Sci professor would say in his next class. Perhaps I'll email him.

isk fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Oct 8, 2016

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

I think a lot of right wing shitheads will still draw a line at physical contact. Like they think anything they say is fine and all complaints are just pc bullshit because it is just words and FREEDOM OF SPEECH and so on. It's like if instead of calling Mexican people rapists he shoved one down a flight of stairs then bragged about it.

I agree in that a lot of the older(30-70+ year old) conservative folks do. For better or worse, they still have an old school sense of chivalry that they grew up around and picked up from their parents/grandparents, etc. The newer alt-right generation that is deeply entrenched in this "feminisms is cancer" culture war don't give a poo poo and seem to think it's the media making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I cannot believe this all broke two days before a town hall debate.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Mister Adequate posted:

And yeah I was pleasantly surprised to see this gain traction, I was 100% expecting the whole "it was just banter, boys will be boys" angle to stick.

Thank god, because as someone who has been in a lot of locker rooms and a few golf courses, that's not how we talk. That's not even how we talk ironically.

If he'd held up short of the pussy-grab comment he may have had a chance to somehow skate through another disaster, but that opened up the door to "Trump uses celebrity to sexually assault women" on the crawl and if that's not a deathblow then holy gently caress.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I was out of touch most of yesterday, so

Ah ok

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Jack's Flow posted:

edit:

Like others have said: apparently the crossing into the physical realm of hands-on sexual harassment was necessary for some of them to wake the gently caress up.

Sounds like something you would hear from one of those people who gently caress themselves up playing around with tannerite. Everyone could see it coming but we couldn't say exactly which limb was going to be lost.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Jack's Flow posted:

"I'm sorry, I guess, if I offended anyone who can't take a good fingering joke."

He's the worst, but we knew that already. I love how some crazy Republicans call the release of the tape a "disgusting smear campaign". And yet there will still be millions and millions of people voting for him. An election straight out of the Twilight Zone.

edit:

So this is America's Brexit, huh?

Well, you get what you vote for I guess.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I don't get it, how was I supposed to know that the guy who won't stop saying terrible things is a terrible person?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
How on Earth did they manage to find someone so reprehensible on so many levels? You expect racism, corruption, gently caress-you-got-mine attitude, misogyny, warmongering, sanctimony, ignorance and all the rest of that good stuff from Republican candidates, but this is insane.

It's like the entirety of American society was involved in generating and locating the worst human and this is what was produced.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Archonex posted:

So this is America's Brexit, huh?

Well, you get what you vote for I guess.

Thankfully, it looks like we're going to actually reject our Brexit. They got Corbyn and managed to keep him despite party fuckery, but our equivalent's still done a decent job despite not winning and we're on track to not (Mr.) Brexit ourselves, so I think we're winning.

(This post is mostly joking, before people start talking about how comparing Bernie and Corbyn doesn't work or that one person starts screaming about how much they hate Bernie again or whatever.)

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Oct 8, 2016

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

as someone smarter than me said on twitter - translation: we knew he was this bad, we didn't think there was tape

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Roland Jones posted:

Thankfully, it looks like we're going to actually reject our Brexit. They got Corbyn and managed to keep him despite party fuckery, but our equivalent's still done a decent job despite not winning and we're on track to not (Mr.) Brexit ourselves, so I think we're winning.

At this point I'm hoping that when Clinton wins she can put some pressure on our country to stop becoming Russia. The leader of our second-largest far-right party (UKIP) was training Trump in debating a couple of weeks ago, you know.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Today is going to be the day of days. And then on Sunday Omaha beach gets stormed.

This is going to be a weekend, dudes. Strap the gently caress in.

Chromatic posted:

I agree in that a lot of the older(30-70+ year old) conservative folks do. For better or worse, they still have an old school sense of chivalry that they grew up around and picked up from their parents/grandparents, etc. The newer alt-right generation that is deeply entrenched in this "feminisms is cancer" culture war don't give a poo poo and seem to think it's the media making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Even a lot of the younger, way-in-it MRAs still wouldn't hold a ton of truck with actually doing something like what Trump admitted he did, and then admitting to it; only the worst of the PUA types would be openly okay with it (and even then, the open secret is that they have nowhere near enough courage to actually behave in that manner). An absolute tentpole of the form of white nationalism that has its roots in the Confederacy and that the GOP has embraced over the past few decades is the protection of the purity of white womanhood - mostly, of course, from "the vicious and lascivious non-whites", but this extends to preventing the (open) abuse of white women and maintaining their purity until they are married off (at which point they become property). It was the entire point of the Lewinsky scandal - the GOP wanted to try and appear as the moral superiors compared to that awful adulterer Bill Clinton.

It's all hogwash, of course, and the right-wing of American politics tends to promote the dominance culture that leads to sexual assault and unhealthy relationships harder than any other segment of the population. But the concept that they are still the Guardians of White Womanhood™ is absolutely and utterly central to the GOP narrative - both outer and inner, to borrow a phrase from this thread - and so Trump's behavior here is just too ludonarratively dissonant to ignore. It has to be dealt with, or otherwise the party just becomes about naked dominance and misanthropy, and the GOP are not yet so lost that they think reverting to Bronze-age social mores is the way forward for the human race.

(Well, except for Hannity invoking King David, I suppose. This loving election.)

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gort posted:

At this point I'm hoping that when Clinton wins she can put some pressure on our country to stop becoming Russia. The leader of our second-largest far-right party (UKIP) was training Trump in debating a couple of weeks ago, you know.

Ahahaha, oh man, I forgot about that. Yeah, UKIP was really comparable to Trump there, campaigning on racism and promising things they never intended to follow through on, then when they won (or rather lost, since all signs point to them not actually wanting Brexit, they just wanted to drum up support and complain after it lost) they hosed off to Russia and to help Trump and stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if Trump and his various helpers do something similar following their loss, though Trump might be arrested not long after he loses, given everything that's coming out about him.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
At this point I'm not sure if Clinton is doing more to advance women's rights than Trump is doing to discredit patriarchy. .

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

JosefStalinator posted:

Am I the only one who wasn't really all that shocked or moved by the "grab her pussy" news? When I read it I was like "oh, look, another dumb Trump comment". Then it EXPLODED in a way that made me think, "what the hell, do things matter now?"

What makes this much worse than calling Mexicans rapists, birthers, or any of the other stupid poo poo?

Because actual, real rape is a horribly illegal crime and a hell of a lot more concrete than just musing about racist talking points.

Like, he raped people. And bragged about it. Literally. Unwelcome sexual contact, i.e. grabbing genitals, is rape.

That's why it's a bigger deal.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I wonder is Matt Taibbi has said anything on this, or jelly his mouth shut.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

The UK is 90% white people, hence Brexit. Oh and the polls were close but the pundits refused to believe them.

edrith
Apr 10, 2013

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Chokes McGee posted:

Because actual, real rape is a horribly illegal crime and a hell of a lot more concrete than just musing about racist talking points.

Like, he raped people. And bragged about it. Literally. Unwelcome sexual contact, i.e. grabbing genitals, is rape.

That's why it's a bigger deal.

Hey now, to a certain type of (utterly vile) people, rape only really counts when we're talking penetration. This might mean nothing to these scum of the earth.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Roland Jones posted:

On a more serious note, I feel bad for sexual assault survivors and the like who had to endure this, and the reactions to/defenses of it, all over the news and the Internet and stuff all day. I can personally laugh it off and take pleasure in how it's destroying Trump, but other people have been through worse and can't; I've already seen some sobering things said on Twitter and such on the subject. Trump and his enablers in the GOP need to be destroyed.

This same thought occurred to me this morning but then I thought of the innumerable women Trump has probably molested over the years, women who knew they'd never see him punished for what he did to them because he'd be able to steamroller them with lawyers or just get them fired. Finally, FINALLY, he's facing consequences for his actions towards women like them, I hope they get some measure of comfort from that.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

greatn posted:

I wonder is Matt Taibbi has said anything on this, or jelly his mouth shut.

https://twitter.com/mtaibbi/status/784572609413472257

https://twitter.com/mtaibbi/status/784574905404850180

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

So just analysis and talking about how bad it is(because he is just a bad)

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

The Glumslinger posted:

"Trump doesn't have minions in the media like Hillary"

*Several other republican panelists are seen visibly laughing*

TELL ME this was Corey.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I know who Duggar is voting for

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

HorseRenoir posted:

I just realized that I'm going to be on a plane while the second debate is happening :suicide:

I'm on a ship. Or rather I'll be back on it then. I'm getting drunk at a hawker stall at he moment. We'll get the debate on satellite, but it's going to be at like 7AM Monday and I'll be busy with other poo poo I'm sure. Plus we have a no politics rule, generally. I'll just have to read you guys highlights I expect.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

porfiria posted:

Yeah I'm not sure about the GOP's prospects--Trump didn't come out of nowhere, he's the product of a serious disjunction between GOP leadership and its (shrinking) base. I don't know how easy those bridges will be to rebuild.

From a while back, but I'd like to add to/amend this point.

For years, the GOP has been catering to the lowest common denominator. They've been BRILLIANT at getting the vast majority of their electorate to willingly and happily vote against their own self-interest. You go to any trailer park and it's 90% Republican-- even though the candidates they vote for work against those type of people. But they turn a lot of it into a single issue. (Guns! or Jesus! usually) and that seems to be enough. They've been on the fringes of the party for years, and while most of the GOP didn't openly court them, they sure as hell didn't push them away, either.

Then Trump came along and figured out "Hey, if I just say all these things that those people think, they'll crawl out of their holes and support me" and he was absolutely right. From the beginning he's been catering to the lowest common denominator of society, catering to people's hate and fear, "telling it like it is" (code for "he says the terrible things I think but can't say publicly) and he's gotten this far.

My point is, the Republicans brought this on themselves by not disavowing that part of their electorate and allowing them to hang onto the fringes. It really was only a matter of time before Trump or someone else came along and figured out how to get them all united and ride it to a nomination.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

BigglesSWE posted:

Hey now, to a certain type of (utterly vile) people, rape only really counts when we're talking penetration. This might mean nothing to these scum of the earth.

Yeah. One of the biggest problems I have about all this (not with anyone here btw) is that a lot of people are already disregarding that this is an act of rape and he is publicly confessing to it. It's the mindset that caused all this in the first place: it's not a big deal he grabbed her genitals because it's like slapping her butt as she goes by. Boys will be boys! :downs:

And besides that, there's multiple accounts of him forcing himself on women and them telling him a definitive "no", which was then ignored. In one case he tried to get a woman into his daughter's bedroom during it.

Think about that. Just let it wash over you. Realize you will now never be clean no matter how much skin you scour off with that pumice stone

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I can't believe I went to bed early last night.

Hillary's going to exceed her post-DNC polling numbers within the next week or so.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
https://twitter.com/JamesUrbaniak/status/784648078338891776?s=09

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Gort posted:

How on Earth did they manage to find someone so reprehensible on so many levels? You expect racism, corruption, gently caress-you-got-mine attitude, misogyny, warmongering, sanctimony, ignorance and all the rest of that good stuff from Republican candidates, but this is insane.

It's like the entirety of American society was involved in generating and locating the worst human and this is what was produced.

He's actually a Persona pulled from the collective zeitgeist of America. Some kid wandered into velvet room and fushed Mara with the GOP.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Gort posted:

What you are seeing is the end state of the idea that the richer you are, the more moral value you have as a human being.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

WampaLord posted:

I can't believe I went to bed early last night.

Hillary's going to exceed her post-DNC polling numbers within the next week or so.

Is it possible to get 110% in polls? Do we need to get Steiner in here?

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

JosefStalinator posted:

I think partly it's because of Clinton. As in, she's a woman doing a historic run, so it's his history with women, and behavior towards them, that's in the spotlight. If he were running against Obama, someone would try to dig for Trump being this crass and offensive about black people (concrete black people he met as opposed to "black people" in the general). If against a Castro, about Hispanics.

And I think the "concrete actual person" and the crassness are also important. It's not hypotheticals against a large number of people. It's this concrete person. And he's not just talking about assault. He's being completely crass and tacky about it. And it's all on tape, unlike with Machado.

And finally, it's just the cherry on top of this particular turd pile. Starting with Machado. It's like some compounding of the exact same message until a tipping point has been reached.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Fangz posted:

What you are seeing is the end state of the idea that the richer you are, the more moral value you have as a human being.

With apologies to the esteemed Dr. Lecter, whenever possible, one should eat the rich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
They could have run literally anyone else and won.

They had like 20 people to choose from. But they've worked so hard to make their voters mindless drones who hate everything that they just couldn't stop a vicious, hatemongering con man.

And now the monster they've so gleefully ridden for half a loving century is devouring them a piece at a time, slowly, horribly, and in full view of the voting public.

Bleed, you motherfuckers. Bleed. Bleed away the Senate and (dare we dream?) the House. Bleed away all your legitimacy and claim to be a real party. Bleed away any chance 95% of people under 50 will ever vote for you again. Just bleed, and bleed, and bleed through these constant, unstoppable, oh-so-foreseeable wounds until you shrink down to the racist rump party you are.

We need a German word for the feeling I have right now. Schadenfreude isn't nearly strong enough.

• Locked thread