Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
who the gently caress is connie and why should i care

And drat, if getting Devil Child isn't satisfying when you're in a bad place. Ibadism ain't gonna die out now, Iberia!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Ragnar seems to be a bit confused

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt
The late antiquity mod for CK2 is now claiming that Theodora, the empress-consort of Justinian, was a direct descendant of Cleopatra VII.

I just needed to share that, because it's blowing my mind :psyduck:

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

The Sin of Onan posted:

The late antiquity mod for CK2 is now claiming that Theodora, the empress-consort of Justinian, was a direct descendant of Cleopatra VII.

I just needed to share that, because it's blowing my mind :psyduck:

Went down that rabbit hole for myself and I think I found the 'source': http://bloodroyal.tripod.com/CleopatraVII.html

quote:

19. Theodora - Empress (d548) [her sisters were: Comitio & Anastasia]; =1 Helebolus, a Syrian noble; & 2 Justinian "The Great" Byzantine Emperor 527-565
daughter of:
18. Theodora = Acacius (d500), worked in a circus
daughter of:
17. Diogenes (460); = Cyrina of Damascus,
son of:
16. Eusebius (430)
son of:
15. Flavianus (400)
son of:
14. Eusebius (375)
son of:
13. Odenathus (350)
son of:
12. Wahballtes [Vaballathus], sole surviving son of 1st husband (325)
son of:
11. ZENOBIA [THEOCLEA] - Queen of Palymra 267-273 deposed; dc AD290; = Septimius Odenathus, King of Palymra [his 2nd =]; =2 a Roman senator [his 2nd =]
daughter of:
10. Jul. Aur. Zenobius - Governor of Palymra (AD 229); = Zabbai of Arabia [descendant of Rabbel II "Soter", King of Nabataea 71-106, &, wife, Iotape, daughter of Sohaemus, King of Emena, &, wife, Drusilla, # 03, above]
son of:
09. Malchus
son of:
08. Malchus
son of:
07. C. Julius Bassus Nassum (d179)
son of:
06. Zenobius
son of:
05. Mamaea [daughter] [her brother was: Caius Julius Silas]; = Malchus, King of Palmyra;
daughter of:
04. Caius Julius Alexio (d78) [his two sisters were: (1) Iotape, wife of Rabbel II "Soter", King of Nabataea 71-106; and (2) Mamaea, wife of M. Ant. Polemo]; = Claudia, daughter of Appius Calpurnius Piso & Servilia, daughter of Claudius, Roman Emperor 41-54; begot
son of:
03. Drusilla [divorced wife of Felix, Governor of Judea, the husband of three princesses, called "queens", all named Drusilla]; she =2nd Sohaemus, King of Emesa AD54-73, & begot
daughter of:
Ptolemy, King of Mauretania
son of:
02. Ptolemy, King of Mauretania, dAD40 =1 Miriam[mne] [Mary]; =2 Urania [Julia], daughter of Phraates IV, King of Parthia, d35, &, wife, Thea-Urania; issue:
son of:
01. Cleopatra-Selene = Juba II, King of Mauretania [his 1st], dAD23
daughter of:
00. Cleopatra VII - Queen of Egypt, d30BC; =4 Mark Anthony - Roman general

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
:shrug: 500 years later, a LOT of people would be descended from Cleopatra. On the other hand, this lineage claims that her mother is descended from Cleopatra, and there's no reliable record of who her mother was so it's almost certainly bullshit

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt

Kaza42 posted:

:shrug: 500 years later, a LOT of people would be descended from Cleopatra. On the other hand, this lineage claims that her mother is descended from Cleopatra, and there's no reliable record of who her mother was so it's almost certainly bullshit

Well yeah, but the mod specifically has her as being part of an "Antonius-Ptolemaios" dynasty, as if she actually claimed direct descent from Mark Antony and Cleopatra, and other people recognised that claim. Even if she was distantly descended from the Ptolemies (and I have found no proof for this chain of descent they're citing anywhere; trying to find it across the internet only seems to bring up various genealogical sites using the exact same list, with nary a primary source to be found), putting her in the Ptolemaic dynasty is insane.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Deceitful Penguin posted:

who the gently caress is connie and why should i care

Character from a TV show.

The Sin of Onan posted:

Well yeah, but the mod specifically has her as being part of an "Antonius-Ptolemaios" dynasty, as if she actually claimed direct descent from Mark Antony and Cleopatra, and other people recognised that claim. Even if she was distantly descended from the Ptolemies (and I have found no proof for this chain of descent they're citing anywhere; trying to find it across the internet only seems to bring up various genealogical sites using the exact same list, with nary a primary source to be found), putting her in the Ptolemaic dynasty is insane.

I am admittedly not an expert on this sort of thing but you putting it this way makes it sound ridiculous, yeah.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
All I can think of is some weird reincarnation believer (As opposed to the sane and rational reincarnation believers, and I say this unironically) who just HAS to be Einstein or Shakespeare or, yes, Cleopatra reborn, and of COURSE Cleopatra is so important that she HAS to be a member of the Ptolemaic dynasty.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
There are a looot of ridiculous dynastic descent claims that people took seriously. For a while people even believed that royal dynasties were descended from gods!

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

GunnerJ posted:

There are a looot of ridiculous dynastic descent claims that people took seriously. For a while people even believed that royal dynasties were descended from gods!

Yeah, in reality fewer than 20% of royal dynasties have any significant divine blood

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Ynglings claimed to be descendants of Odin but that he wasn't really a God but a dude who was just so drat awesome and powerful that people began to think he was one. At least after they became Christians, before that they might have legit claimed to have the blood of Gods.

I think the "Yng" of their name even refers to Freyr/Yngvi. One of Odin's sons.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
If you go back far enough, everyone is basically descended from everyone. :colbert:

Also, I think I have found my new OP and it's Orthodox merchant republics. Start as Amalfi, get yourself a king tier title and your own patriarch then go to town on your patricians with excommunications, castrations, torture, mutilation etc.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

GunnerJ posted:

One of the terms of Japan's surrender in WWII was that Hirohito had to renounce the claim that the imperial family was divinely descended. This was a early-mid 20th century industrialized world power.

So yeah, 'divine rule' is a real thing with monarchies.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Parallax Scroll posted:

I've got an issue with the UI. When you're building retinues, or raising levies, there's a little up-arrow icon inside a circle, that can be either blue if it's enabled or gray if it's disabled. I might be a little colorblind but I often have a hard time telling these two apart. Is there a mod that changes those colors/icons?

Well I went ahead and figured out how making a mod for this game works so I could change this myself. I changed the icons to make the yellow more vivid because I was having trouble telling the difference between "grayed out" and "not grayed out" before. Was gonna change the blue background but that's more work and I suck at graphic editing. The yellow was easier.

These before and after images aren't very accurate, because the ck2 screenshot function seems to make the color duller, and then imgur dulls it even more. In-game the yellow is bright as gently caress.

Before

After

Looks like I screwed up the circular borders a little in the process but whatev, this will probably do for now. This was meant to be functional, not pretty.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Speaking of modding, what am I doing wrong here? It's still showing up when I run testevent under the console as North Germanic only. I replaced "culture_group = north_germanic" with

OR = {
culture_group = north_germanic
culture = norman
culture = old_saxon
culture = russian
culture = finnish
culture = ugricbaltic
}

code:
# Son wants to join the Varangians (Son)
character_event = {
	id = TOG.3109
	hide_window = yes

is_triggered_only = yes

ai = yes
	min_age = 16
	max_age = 40
	only_men = yes
	capable_only = yes
	prisoner = no
	OR = {
culture = norman
culture = old_saxon
culture = russian
culture = finnish
culture = ugricbaltic
}
	has_global_flag = varangian_guard_founded
	has_dlc = "The Old Gods"

trigger = {
		is_landed = no
		in_command_trigger = no
		is_ill = no
		martial = 5
		OR = {
			martial = 10
			trait = lunatic
			trait = possessed
			trait = wroth
			trait = ambitious
			trait = proud
			trait = brave
			has_called_crusade = yes
		}
		liege = {
			culture = norman
			religion = ROOT
			is_ruler = yes
			prisoner = no
			NOT = { trait = incapable }
			ROOT = {
				is_child_of = PREV
				host = { character = PREVPREV }
			}
		}
		NOR = {
			trait = varangian
			is_inaccessible_trigger = yes
			trait = craven
			trait = content
			trait = slothful
			any_liege = { holy_order = yes }
			any_liege = { mercenary = yes }
			any_spouse = {
				trait = pregnant
				father_of_unborn = { character = ROOT }
			}
			has_character_modifier = planning_claimant_adventure
			has_character_modifier = planning_new_temple
			has_character_flag = wants_varangian
			has_character_flag = denied_varangian
			has_character_flag = serving_varangian
		}
		NOT = { is_inaccessible_trigger = yes }
	}

weight_multiplier = {
		days = 1
		modifier = {
			factor = 1.5
			trait = ambitious
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 1.5
			trait = brave
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 1.75
			trait = berserker
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 1.75
			trait = proud
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 1.75
			trait = impaler
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.5
			any_heir_title = { always = yes }
		}
	}

immediate = {
		set_character_flag = wants_varangian
		liege = { character_event = { id = TOG.3110 } }
	}
}

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

The Sin of Onan posted:

The next Paradox project better be set in Late Antiquity, just so that thing can be mercifully killed off.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
it's also a cool good period

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Koramei posted:

agreed

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

Darth Windu posted:

Speaking of modding, what am I doing wrong here? It's still showing up when I run testevent under the console as North Germanic only. I replaced "culture_group = north_germanic" with

OR = {
culture = norman
culture = old_saxon
culture = russian
culture = finnish
culture = ugricbaltic
}

code:
# Son wants to join the Varangians (Son)
character_event = {
	id = TOG.3109
	hide_window = yes

is_triggered_only = yes

ai = yes
	min_age = 16
	max_age = 40
	only_men = yes
	capable_only = yes
	prisoner = no
	OR = {
culture = norman
culture = old_saxon
culture = russian
culture = finnish
culture = ugricbaltic
}
	has_global_flag = varangian_guard_founded
	has_dlc = "The Old Gods"

trigger = {
		is_landed = no
		in_command_trigger = no
		is_ill = no
		martial = 5
		OR = {
			martial = 10
			trait = lunatic
			trait = possessed
			trait = wroth
			trait = ambitious
			trait = proud
			trait = brave
			has_called_crusade = yes
		}
		liege = {
			culture = norman
			religion = ROOT
			is_ruler = yes
			prisoner = no
			NOT = { trait = incapable }
			ROOT = {
				is_child_of = PREV
				host = { character = PREVPREV }
			}
		}
		NOR = {
			trait = varangian
			is_inaccessible_trigger = yes
			trait = craven
			trait = content
			trait = slothful
			any_liege = { holy_order = yes }
			any_liege = { mercenary = yes }
			any_spouse = {
				trait = pregnant
				father_of_unborn = { character = ROOT }
			}
			has_character_modifier = planning_claimant_adventure
			has_character_modifier = planning_new_temple
			has_character_flag = wants_varangian
			has_character_flag = denied_varangian
			has_character_flag = serving_varangian
		}
		NOT = { is_inaccessible_trigger = yes }
	}

weight_multiplier = {
		days = 1
		modifier = {
			factor = 1.5
			trait = ambitious
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 1.5
			trait = brave
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 1.75
			trait = berserker
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 1.75
			trait = proud
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 1.75
			trait = impaler
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.5
			any_heir_title = { always = yes }
		}
	}

immediate = {
		set_character_flag = wants_varangian
		liege = { character_event = { id = TOG.3110 } }
	}
}

I'm no expert but I don't think you can use OR in the fast triggers section. Try moving that to be under trigger.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

HotCanadianChick posted:

One of the terms of Japan's surrender in WWII was that Hirohito had to renounce the claim that the imperial family was divinely descended. This was a early-mid 20th century industrialized world power.

So yeah, 'divine rule' is a real thing with monarchies.

Not just divinely descended but also literally divine. He basically had to issue a public statement that he wasn't a god.

It's not quite as extreme but the monarch of Britain is also the head of the Church of England which makes the queen at least a bit of a pope.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

TheCIASentMe posted:

I'm no expert but I don't think you can use OR in the fast triggers section. Try moving that to be under trigger.

Thanks. Should I take out the culture_group = north_germanic in the fast triggers section then?

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

It's 852 and I just mended the Great Schism and I'm pretty close to restoring the Roman Empire. I'm doing it on ironman and it's way easier than I thought it would be. I don't usually play on ironman because I'm scared of making a wrong move and ruining everything, but I haven't run into any trouble so far. The worst was when one of my ruler's died and left his 3 year old son in charge. My council wouldn't let me declare any wars so I just had to sit around for a while. Other than that, it's been very smooth, although there's still plenty of time for everything to go to hell.

Automated Posting
Jan 12, 2013

So I'm trying to get a plot to murder my incapable first wife going, but the plot keeps disappearing. I can set her as my plot target, and can invite plotters, but as soon as I unpause the game the plot goes away. What gives? Are you not allowed to murder incapable people?

mythomanic
Aug 19, 2009

Automated Posting posted:

So I'm trying to get a plot to murder my incapable first wife going, but the plot keeps disappearing. I can set her as my plot target, and can invite plotters, but as soon as I unpause the game the plot goes away. What gives? Are you not allowed to murder incapable people?

Have you been shutting the gates to avoid illness? I'm not sure, but I think that was shutting off plots in my last game.

Automated Posting
Jan 12, 2013

mythomanic posted:

Have you been shutting the gates to avoid illness? I'm not sure, but I think that was shutting off plots in my last game.

No, I only ever do that when the Black Death rolls around.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Darth Windu posted:

Thanks. Should I take out the culture_group = north_germanic in the fast triggers section then?

Yes, you need to do both of those.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

Darth Windu posted:

Yeah, that would limit it to just that culture group otherwise.

Basically just move your OR function into the trigger section and try that.

I think what the fast triggers do is immediately end the event without any further processing as soon as they hit a no. So it dives into the OR function and sees the first line and then compares on that, if that first line returns false then the entire event ends even if other items in the OR function would return true.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
It worked! Thanks guys.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

TheCIASentMe posted:

I think what the fast triggers do is immediately end the event without any further processing as soon as they hit a no.

More or less this, except that you can't use OR clauses in fast triggers. In fact, there are only a very limited number of things you can check for in fast triggers, and as far as anyone can tell you can only check for one of each such thing - so one culture group or culture, one religion group or religion, one character flag, etc, and it will filter the event away from anyone who hits a no on a fast trigger, without wasting processing time checking against the MTTH.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I just restored the Roman Empire. I thought it was going to be really hard and take me a long time but it's only 868. Now I don't know what to do for the rest of the game. Prepare for the jihads and reclaim the rest of the old borders I guess. I wish I had Sunset Invasion turned on because right now only the Shia Caliphate rivals me and not by too much.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Pity the fool who doesn't run with sunset invasion on.

Personally, I always like to start inflicting odd and inane horrors upon the landscape when I got too much power. As the Romans, I liked to reconvert the world to catholicism for instance, or creating ethnic enclaves in the wrong places instead of just greeking it up or seeing if there were any interesting religions to plop down. Greek Hindu Mali was a heck of a thing, for instance

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Pity the fool who doesn't run with sunset invasion on.

Personally, I always like to start inflicting odd and inane horrors upon the landscape when I got too much power. As the Romans, I liked to reconvert the world to catholicism for instance, or creating ethnic enclaves in the wrong places instead of just greeking it up or seeing if there were any interesting religions to plop down. Greek Hindu Mali was a heck of a thing, for instance

A man after my own heart.

I made it my personal mission to make the whole of Sri Lanka Scottish Messalians in my Roman Empire WC game.

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt

Ofaloaf posted:

The next Paradox project better be set in Late Antiquity, just so that thing can be mercifully killed off.

Koramei posted:

Agreed. Genuinely thinking of trying to make one myself at this point, because speaking as a Classics student specialising in Late Antiquity, the current one almost hurts to look at. But it's not like I'm much of a modder :(

A Tartan Tory posted:

A man after my own heart.

I made it my personal mission to make the whole of Sri Lanka Scottish Messalians in my Roman Empire WC game.

Many, many expansions ago (long enough ago that Egypt was still entirely Muslim at game start), I got bored enough with universal empire that I tried to culture-swap Ireland and Egypt - make all of Egypt Irish Catholic, and all of Ireland Sunni Egyptian.

For some reason, the Egyptians seemed far more ready to adopt Irish culture than the Irish did Egyptian. Maybe it's because I was a Catholic ruler myself? Not Irish, though, so maybe not.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

I just restored the Roman Empire. I thought it was going to be really hard and take me a long time but it's only 868. Now I don't know what to do for the rest of the game. Prepare for the jihads and reclaim the rest of the old borders I guess. I wish I had Sunset Invasion turned on because right now only the Shia Caliphate rivals me and not by too much.

There's plenty of provinces to restore.
I usually end up trying to de-jure drift kingdoms in to appealing shapes.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

As it happens this is exactly my game and I've got a couple of questions for people who've played as the Byz before. It's the 9th Century and the Aztecs have landed in Britain and have just taken London. The Abbasids have collapsed due to decadence and I've got all of the Orthodox holy Patriarchs restored apart from Jerusalem, which is also an independent Muslim state, so will be easy enough for me to take.

My question is, if I restore the schism and make Catholicism an Orthodox heresy will that remove Crusades as an option for Europe against the Aztecs? Obviously in the long term that's a goal but I want to fight against an interesting Europe and not just the Aztecs and Ummayyads (who have half of France already too).

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

The Sin of Onan posted:

Agreed. Genuinely thinking of trying to make one myself at this point, because speaking as a Classics student specialising in Late Antiquity, the current one almost hurts to look at. But it's not like I'm much of a modder :(
I'd be happy to work on a project like that. I have the remains of a Fall Of Rome mod I worked on 3/4 years ago, and some of that material was even dusted off and reused for an LP here recently.

Unlike when I made the mod originally though, I no longer have steady access to a university library and need to lie off my rear end to even get a glance at the PLRE. I can mod, but I'd need help researching and review from someone who actually knows poo poo to do the period justice.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

So i havent played CK2 in a long while.

If I wanted to restore the Roman Empire...

1. what's the preferred start date
2. starting character?
3. If I wanted to make it "OG" Hellenistic, is there a mod to make that a viable religion? Is the base gamer supporting it now? I'm out of the loop.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Annath posted:

2. starting character?
3. If I wanted to make it "OG" Hellenistic, is there a mod to make that a viable religion? Is the base gamer supporting it now? I'm out of the loop.

I don't know about mods, but for the first two 769 as Charlemagne is a huge leg-up.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Jedit posted:

I don't know about mods, but for the first two 769 as Charlemagne is a huge leg-up.

If you start in 1068, you get an emperor that has a much better chance against the Seljuks too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Annath posted:

2. starting character?

I started in 769 as the Byzantine Emperor. You could also do what Jedit said and start as Charlemagne, where I think you then swear fealty to the Byzantines and then push for elective. I've never done that myself though, so I'm not sure of the strategy.

• Locked thread