Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is anyone else experiencing this weird hiccup with exposé where if I do a three finger swipe up, sometimes it'll start to show all windows but it stops after 1% with the windows having hardly changed, but are now unmovable (as if they're stuck in the exposé transition) until I swipe up again to force the system to do it again.

Not sure if it started with Sierra. I'm definitely getting it on my rMBP trackpad but it also happens on my mouse with my work iMac.

Not a huge issue, just weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Do people not use Onyx anymore? That's how I usually mess around with stuff like the screenshot folder, format, name, &c. It's also good for transparent dock icons, or stupid crap like an animated background image. (And a bunch of actually useful stuff, too)

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

Zenostein posted:

Do people not use Onyx anymore? That's how I usually mess around with stuff like the screenshot folder, format, name, &c. It's also good for transparent dock icons, or stupid crap like an animated background image. (And a bunch of actually useful stuff, too)

I just installed Onyx for Sierra, ran through all the usual maintenance options, and it made precisely zero difference in terms of freeing up space on my SSD. I am disappoint.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I can't log in to icloud.com from any browser I've tried under OS X. A blank white pop-up appears after I submit the username/password, and I can't proceed further. It looks like it might be a Terms & Conditions dialog?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Lazyhound posted:

I can't log in to icloud.com from any browser I've tried under OS X. A blank white pop-up appears after I submit the username/password, and I can't proceed further. It looks like it might be a Terms & Conditions dialog?

Do you have 2-factor authentication turned on? You should get an iCloud page asking for the 2-factor code, along with a popup on your Mac (and other devices) with a map saying that a computer near XYZ wants access to your account.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Choadmaster posted:

Do you have 2-factor authentication turned on? You should get an iCloud page asking for the 2-factor code, along with a popup on your Mac (and other devices) with a map saying that a computer near XYZ wants access to your account.

I don't think I do, no.

e: And I can't check because I get the same blank popover at appleid.apple.com .

e2: Looking at the debugging console, it seems there's a prompt to update something on my account that isn't actually loading properly.
code:
Load denied by X-Frame-Options: [...] does not permit cross-origin framing.
e3: I'm not the only one! :toot:

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Oct 7, 2016

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I upgraded to Sierra, and the font sizes for a bunch of stuff in Safari changed. How do I force it to render at a specific font size? It's been so long, I don't remember anymore.

Nevermind, I found a Terminal Command that works:

defaults write com.apple.Safari com.apple.Safari.ContentPageGroupIdentifier.WebKit2MinimumFontSize -int 14

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Oct 7, 2016

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

I think it might have been a nag to set up security questions. I solved it by switching to 2FA through an iOS device.

eames
May 9, 2009

I just found a nice way to watch youtube videos with the new PiP feature in Sierra, not sure if this is common knowledge:

Open youtube.com in safari, rightclick the tab and pin it because the PiP video will stop playing when you close the tab.

Visit the video/playlist you want to watch. Double rightclick the youtube video to get the "hidden" light grey safari context menu and choose "Enter Picture-in-Picture". Move and resize the window. Done. :eng101:

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

hello macOS thread, I have a conundrum for you :)

Let's say I only want to use my keyboard and I've tabbed into a textbox that will interpret my tabs as the character tab instead of me wanting to jump to the next input field, how can I escape it?

edit: if anyone wants to experiment with it, this is happening in 1password. Edit an item and stick your cursor in the notes field.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

My PIN is 4826 posted:

hello macOS thread, I have a conundrum for you :)

Let's say I only want to use my keyboard and I've tabbed into a textbox that will interpret my tabs as the character tab instead of me wanting to jump to the next input field, how can I escape it?

edit: if anyone wants to experiment with it, this is happening in 1password. Edit an item and stick your cursor in the notes field.

Control-Tab

And then shift-tab to get back ?? 1Password implements this weird. I don't think Control-Tab is standard for that in macOS.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Thanks! I'm guessing it's not relevant outside of 1pw as text boxes elsewhere in macOS don't seem do tab characters that often. At least the one I typed this post into doesn't...

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

lol in Safari Control-Option-Tab to insert tabs on these forums (they get collapsed anyway when you post)

Can't get it to work in Chrome though

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Is there a DWG viewer that isn't terrible? I bought one off the App Store that had decent reviews, but it's not very good. AutoDesk's A360 works well enough, but it's really inconvenient to have to upload every drawing I want to view, and wait for the website to process it.

On the left is what I bought off the App Store, on the right is A360 (what the drawing actually looks like).

I use DWG TrueView on Windows, but there doesn't seem be a comparable equivalent for macOS :smith:

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Draftsight is not just a viewer but I think it works on a mac and it's free.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Toe Rag posted:

Is there a DWG viewer that isn't terrible? I bought one off the App Store that had decent reviews, but it's not very good. AutoDesk's A360 works well enough, but it's really inconvenient to have to upload every drawing I want to view, and wait for the website to process it.

On the left is what I bought off the App Store, on the right is A360 (what the drawing actually looks like).

I use DWG TrueView on Windows, but there doesn't seem be a comparable equivalent for macOS :smith:

I just use autocad for viewing dwg, but yeah it's terribly crashy on Mac, the Ui is bad on Mac and also not exactly cheap if you don't have it already. cad stuff is why I have boot camp. If there is a super fast Mac dwg viewer program that can handle many simultaneous open files I would also love to hear its name

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
OSX Sierra question: there's a lot of iCloud-centric stuff in Sierra like desktop cloud storage and the iCloud storage optimization.

Are these features optional, as in they aren't turned on by default and you opt in and out of them? (There are a lot of iCloud features I don't use like photo storage and keychain. I like having control over that.)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It asked me when I installed sierra about the desktop and documents sync

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

why doesn't my power button put my mac to sleep anymore, did sierra do this

edit: brilliantly solved by restarting

ethanol fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Oct 9, 2016

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
It's on a bit of a time-delay, so you have to hold it down for a bit. Probably so it doesn't allow you to accidentally hit it and sleep the laptop.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

So is the Caps Lock button :D
Apple saves us from ourselves.

(although I've long turned the caps lock off completely)

P.S. You can configure Chrome to wait a bit when you hit Cmd-Q before it shuts down, because... well... missing Cmd-W and losing all your poo poo sucks. It's just under the Chrome menu and it's called "Warn before quitting". If this is the first you've learned about this -- you're welcome!

Pivo fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Oct 9, 2016

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Pro tip : Press CMD-Q on chrome and then open safari

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

For some reason since I updated to Sierra if I send my laptop to sleep (while connected to an external screen) and then close it, it wakes up. Before Sierra it stayed sleep.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Pro tip : Press CMD-Q on chrome and then open safari

Chrome plugged in, Safari on battery. I can't stand Safari's API limitations preventing ad blockers from blocking ads in flash videos. Though I appreciate it not being a power hog.

Right tool for the right job.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It asked me when I installed sierra about the desktop and documents sync

Cool beans.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Pivo posted:

Chrome plugged in, Safari on battery. I can't stand Safari's API limitations preventing ad blockers from blocking ads in flash videos. Though I appreciate it not being a power hog.

Right tool for the right job.

I removed Flash from my Mac in 2014 and life is better.

Sites that rely on it are terrible – evidenced by the fact that my country's internal revenue service website requires not only Flash but also 500MB of Adobe Acrobat Reader to read an 80KB proprietary PDF. Filing my tax return is the only time I need Flash and that's the only reason I have Chrome installed. Any other site/service that moans about requiring Flash gets closed and five minutes of googling gets me an alternative.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Is there a good iOS management app for MacOS that can manage disk space better? My daughter has a 16gb 6s and is continually out of space. I've tried the 'buy LOTR in iTunes' trick and that does work, but I was hoping to find something with more features or an interface that doesn't risk actually successfully buying LOTRs from iTunes.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

So this is purely anecdotal: back when I was on my 16gb 5s, I noticed that the phone was getting PACKED, even though it didn't seem to have that many apps on it. I downloaded something called iExplorer and discovered that Apple Music had been storing 5Gb(!) of cached files, including massive radio files that were over 400mb each. None of these I'd chosen to save to the phone so I couldn't understand why they were there. I was able to delete them from iexplorer and free up a lot of space. Unless that's the particular issue you're having with the 6s (music being cached) I don't think there's much else in the way of clearing space.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It wasn't until iOS9-10 that I started continually running out of space. When I bought my 16G 6 it always seemed to be fine, but now I'm finding myself micromanaging. I was one of those people who were constantly :smug: when people said they were running out of space being all "well you must be doing something wrong because I'm fine with 16G" and now look how far I've fallen :(

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

I'd have plenty of space if Apple didn't keep forcing a 1.1GB software update into my loving phone. :mad:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

http://www.mcelhearn.com/how-to-clear-the-apple-music-cache-on-ios-devices/

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

ethanol posted:

I just use autocad for viewing dwg, but yeah it's terribly crashy on Mac, the Ui is bad on Mac and also not exactly cheap if you don't have it already. cad stuff is why I have boot camp. If there is a super fast Mac dwg viewer program that can handle many simultaneous open files I would also love to hear its name

Draftsight seems to work well enough for just viewing, although the interface is a bit of a disaster. If I had Autocad, I would rather run Bootcamp or Parallels, though.

Yeah I've been doing this for a while. I find it kind of annoying how a streaming service will consume space on my phone. Next iPhone I'm 128GB or whatever and cancelling iTunes Match or whatever it's called now.

This is the one I don't understand:

Especially because when I look at each app's "Documents & Data" it is rarely more than 10MBs, and usually only 2-3MB. I'm guessing 1.5GBs is my email and text messages, but I really cannot understand what the other 3GB would be.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Honestly it's a big fuckup on Apple's part that caches don't get nuked automatically on iOS when space is needed for something else.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Also because of the stupid way iCloud work, if you have any iWork apps like Pages or particularly Slides, they can end up caching a LOT of space.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

After deleting the auto-downloaded update, it'll re-download itself if you ever power cycle your device. I've deleted the iOS 10 update about 4 times now.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Martytoof posted:

It wasn't until iOS9-10 that I started continually running out of space. When I bought my 16G 6 it always seemed to be fine, but now I'm finding myself micromanaging. I was one of those people who were constantly :smug: when people said they were running out of space being all "well you must be doing something wrong because I'm fine with 16G" and now look how far I've fallen :(
I personally think it's just loving great how enabling Apple Music or iTunes in the Cloud or whatever will make my iPhone decide to delete half my music at random to make space for something else, but unwanted cache garbage is apparently so sacred it can't be removed with anything less than a full erase + reinstall.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Krispy Kareem posted:

Is there a good iOS management app for MacOS that can manage disk space better? My daughter has a 16gb 6s and is continually out of space. I've tried the 'buy LOTR in iTunes' trick and that does work, but I was hoping to find something with more features or an interface that doesn't risk actually successfully buying LOTRs from iTunes.

What trick is this? Does it clear out a lot of cached stuff in anticipation of a large download or something?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

What trick is this? Does it clear out a lot of cached stuff in anticipation of a large download or something?

lol I didn't know about this either, apparently you're exactly right

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/out-of-space-on-your-iphone-try-this-magic-trick-to-free-up-more/

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah but apparently t doesn't work as of iOS 10 so be careful!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

TACD posted:

I personally think it's just loving great how enabling Apple Music or iTunes in the Cloud or whatever will make my iPhone decide to delete half my music at random to make space for something else, but unwanted cache garbage is apparently so sacred it can't be removed with anything less than a full erase + reinstall.

I don't use any Apple cloud services other than iPhone backups. I got sick years ago of all the unclear alert messages when working with any of them. Does the message mean all my contacts/photos/etc are about to be deleted? Who knows! Instead of tying my mobile and laptop devices together they've made sure I keep doing everything manually to avoid cleaning up the horrible mess their dumb system creates.