Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I want to die but I have picross and rhythm heaven

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

CJacobs posted:

It's more of a person-by-person basis kind of thing though. For some people (like myself) the sense of escapist entertainment video games provide helps a lot when you're stressed out. Video games provide a good break from the 'real world' when you might really need it.

Agreed. I've been using video games as a relief valve after doing classwork and they're genuinely helpful in going from being super-stressed to calm.

Not to mention it's a good way to go from processing a million things to focusing on just a few things. Unless you're playing something like a Paradox game, but I'm not the kind of person who relaxes by playing grand strategy. :shrug:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
When I'm feeling depressed I like to do livestreams. It's fun to interact with the chat and react to crazy poo poo happening in my favorite video games along with them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkBw1FuvFNk&t=10123s

Especially when stuff like this happens.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Stardew Valley is a fantastic game and in the weeks since I bought it has managed to suck up time in a way few games have for me. If you have any interest in that kind of game you'll definitely get your money's worth.

oddium posted:

you can only talk to people once a day

there's objectively best crops and it's easy to set up sprinklers so it pretty much grows itself

the mine combat is bad

Different strokes and all but I actually liked these, especially compared to the actual Harvest Moon games I've played:

-The ability to only talk once per day and give one gift a day/two gifts a week is a good thing because it fixes Harvest Moon's problem of, say, getting a complete stranger to want to marry you in the span of a day because you talked to her while holding your dog one hundred times. It also makes managing time easier because since you're listed to what you can do in a week there's no temptation to minmax and power level your relationship with everyone every day.

-The 1.1 patch they dropped the other day rebalanced some of the crops as well as adding new ones, so cranberries etc. are no longer game-breakingly valuable. The sprinklers I was happy to have because they're tied to levelling up your skills and getting the better ones can be a serious resource/money sink so by the time you have enough to water your field on their own you've already done so much manual watering that you never want to pick up a watering can again. The new patch even went one step further and added some really expensive postgame items that let you automate it even further like getting forest spirits to harvest your crops for you and an enchanted clock that stops weeds from growing and fences from deteriorating.

-I preferred the simple hack-and-slash-and-mine-and-eat combat of Stardew to something that would be more involved and complicated. Compare it to something like Recettear where the combat is a little deeper with multiple characters and movesets and more equipment and stats to manage but is exponentially more grindy and ends up dominating what is supposed to be a game boutique running an item store.

Can't really argue with the rest though, especially the art. It's functional, especially considering it and everything else in the game is all by the one guy and he's a CS major and not an artist, but the quality and style is all over the place and it's kind of inadvertently creepy at times since some of the romancable characters look like they're a little too young for you and not in a Harvest Moon chibi way.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Guy Mann posted:

Stardew Valley is a fantastic game and in the weeks since I bought it has managed to suck up time in a way few games have for me. If you have any interest in that kind of game you'll definitely get your money's worth.

Different strokes and all but I actually liked these, especially compared to the actual Harvest Moon games I've played:

-The ability to only talk once per day and give one gift a day/two gifts a week is a good thing because it fixes Harvest Moon's problem of, say, getting a complete stranger to want to marry you in the span of a day because you talked to her while holding your dog one hundred times. It also makes managing time easier because since you're listed to what you can do in a week there's no temptation to minmax and power level your relationship with everyone every day.

-The 1.1 patch they dropped the other day rebalanced some of the crops as well as adding new ones, so cranberries etc. are no longer game-breakingly valuable. The sprinklers I was happy to have because they're tied to levelling up your skills and getting the better ones can be a serious resource/money sink so by the time you have enough to water your field on their own you've already done so much manual watering that you never want to pick up a watering can again. The new patch even went one step further and added some really expensive postgame items that let you automate it even further like getting forest spirits to harvest your crops for you and an enchanted clock that stops weeds from growing and fences from deteriorating.

-I preferred the simple hack-and-slash-and-mine-and-eat combat of Stardew to something that would be more involved and complicated. Compare it to something like Recettear where the combat is a little deeper with multiple characters and movesets and more equipment and stats to manage but is exponentially more grindy and ends up dominating what is supposed to be a game boutique running an item store.

Can't really argue with the rest though, especially the art. It's functional, especially considering it and everything else in the game is all by the one guy and he's a CS major and not an artist, but the quality and style is all over the place and it's kind of inadvertently creepy at times since some of the romancable characters look like they're a little too young for you and not in a Harvest Moon chibi way.

I knew you'd eventually have a good opinion. :unsmith:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

CJacobs posted:

I knew you'd eventually have a good opinion. :unsmith:

Always have faith in the games, friend.

On the topic of escapism, I think most games have that risk. There's a simplicity to them, a focus that makes outside problems fade away and it can really activate that dopamine circuit. It's not a bad thing on its own but it can become bad if you don't keep it in perspective. I used to have extremely strong feelings about MMORPG's in that I felt that they distilled the most addictive aspects of pure game escapism but I've since softened a bit on that since I realized that for some people who have problems with being social because of personality issues or being on the spectrum, it can allow them to be social in a controlled environment that they feel comfortable with. I had to swear them off myself though because they just seem to suck the life out of me and turn me into a depressed husk, though. Games with a definitive beginning and end work best for me. Even sandbox games like Sim City/Cities XL or Rimworld still have a progression to each game that makes them easier on me in this way. Grand strategy games can be addictive but they too have endings I can shoot for and the turn-based nature, while addictive in that "one more turn" sense, can be put down to go attend to other parts of my life when I need to.

Anyway, too many serious words about vidya.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Oct 8, 2016

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

This is how it works in HM games tho

the thing you're talking about is a glitch from one of the buggiest (and also best) games in the series

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I did it, Ray. I clicked on the clickbait.

But this looks like an actually really cool and good game coming out soon?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9tdVR7HaIw

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Thank you ... this made my morning

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

My resume was getting a little old, so I'm making a new one. How would I go about making the Earthbound of job resumes? It needs to be subtle, so I can't outright say I'm the third strongest mole or something like that.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I hope Anime Attorney gets better after the second case of the new game because while it was written fine (IT'S FINE) it was kind of annoying that Apollo did literally nothing but bluff the entire case.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Which one should I buy first: The Beginner's Guide, Firewatch, The Witness, Samorost 3 or Inside?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Palpek posted:

Which one should I buy first: The Beginner's Guide, Firewatch, The Witness, Samorost 3 or Inside?

Dunno about the others, but the Beginner's Guide is over in two hours or less. It's an interesting ride, but it's also pretty much non-interactive. You walk and listen and that's it.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Palpek posted:

I haven't played Samorost 3 or Inside.

Of the rest, I'd probably go with Firewatch overall unless you're feelin' like exploring a practically non-narrative puzzle game with The Witness. The Beginner's Guide is also a narrative-centric experience like Firewatch, but much shorter. They're "walking simulators" that I keep enjoying.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Palpek posted:

The Witness before Firewatch for sure. I liked Firewatch more than most but would still have a hard time recommending it for anything other than a quick Saturday afternoon playthrough. It really drags in the latter half, which is when things should be getting more interesting, and ultimately the direction the story goes in is both too mundane and too fantastical at the same time.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Just to clear this up: I know what those games are like, I played the games the devs made before and I don't have a problem with walking simulators. I'll have to get all of those games eventually but right now it's not possible because of $ so I'm asking which one was the best from your experience that I could grab first.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
The Witness then, and avoid looking up any puzzle solutions.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah I'm still going with The Witness first, if only because you're likely to want to take some long breaks from that game to let the puzzles rattle around in your head, so you can play the others while on break.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
The Witness or Inside, hands-down I think.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

The Witness. The process of discovery and feeling of satisfaction in it are like nothing I've experienced in a game lately. I absolutely loved it. Just don't let the audio logs bog down the experience for you. Some are interesting, many are less so and a couple of them are very long.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Inside was really drat good.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

CJacobs posted:

When I'm feeling depressed I like to do livestreams. It's fun to interact with the chat and react to crazy poo poo happening in my favorite video games along with them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkBw1FuvFNk&t=10123s

Especially when stuff like this happens.

Dang, I'm always busy whenever I see a notification for one of your streams. I had a lot of fun during the time I made it to one. Keep it up!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Phantasium posted:

Inside was really drat good.

It's quite a bit better than the games it gets called a ripoff of and definitely not just "Limbo again".

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

its exactly limbo again for about 2 of its 3 hours. when it actually gets cool and actiony instead of lame easy puzzley its over.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Another vote for the witness, but beginners guide is really good too.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

hey y'all quick poll. these cute cats are heading an interstellar holy crusade to purge ugly species from the galaxy

i've accepted these guys into the Orassi Union because they look like kamen rider and i don't hate to look at them:

also i uplifted these guys from primitive lizardmen and genetically modified them in the process to make them super strong soldiers so i think their look fits:

anyway the question is: which, if any, of these clowns deserve to hang out among the beautiful stars

for reference i've already systematically conquered and genocided these idiots who are gross and make a really ugly mouth flapping motion:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

You should get rid of the lizards + hang out with the friendly blue alien/possibly the bird

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I vote for chocobo cyclops

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Kill cthulhu-man

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZokdmzvDGA

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Nthing The Witness as the best on that list. Not only is it the best game listed, it'll give you more playtime than all the other games on the list combined.

After that, Inside is cool and crazy but, and I know I'm alone in this, I still liked Limbo way better. Firewatch is cool but also feels oddly lacking in a way that's hard to explain.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

This is a good video. The mirror scene is Silent Hill-grade horror

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jay Rust posted:

This is a good video. The mirror scene is Silent Hill-grade horror

From the glitch thread in PYF:

:stonk:

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

this guy looks like he grew tentacles to hide his lack of chin, definitely genocide them

hotline miami race owns tho

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Tentacle men must die

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Kill the tentacle people and those shifty blue fucks. The chicken people should cause no problems in your galaxy as long as you scatter loose corn all over the surface of their planets.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Don't be mean to Zoidberg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/NintendoMemo/status/784807393876205568

• Locked thread