Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

constantIllusion posted:

Due to Hurricane Matthew ravaging the Atlantic Coastline of the South this week the Facebook group Veterans Against The Tea Party (I guess they're the anti-EPORW) posted this image reminding people of the importance of taxation:

Seems basic enough, right? No one could possibly have a problem with this?

Nope.

Note: these were all posted by the same guy.

Well looky here!

Of course I had to go and touch the poop and get into an argument with these :ancap:

I'm the one whose name is cross-hatched out. I used different redaction effects for each unique poster. The ones with the rectangles are all the same poster. Photoshop is weird.

:ughh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Zephyrine posted:

Yes I accept that. I just wish that the people who spent the money kept that in mind when spending it.

Like "Is this important enough to put a gun to someone's head"

Police? Yes
Fire department? Yes
Social safety nets? Yes
Commissioning an artist to draw a mural on a public building? Maybe?

Which is why I said "renovation" as in the difference between a park with trees, plants, benches, lights, a lake.

And a park with a polished black marble fountain and flower beds in arranged colours that are managed three times a week by staff to keep them from growing out of order.

But somewhere someone thought the flowerbeds would just be so beautiful and the fountain kind of neat.

It's not even an extreme example and spendings like these exist in every branch of government in every country. Someone with tax money and "neat" ideas on how to spend it.

Just because you don't personally see the value in a well maintained, aesthetically pleasing park does not mean others don't.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Well this will be confusing for a while

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

This is why we can't have nice things. People are going to have to move on to M&Ms because skittle will be a racial slur. Then the same people who turned it into a slur will say that Political correctness has gone too far and that there's no relations between skittles and slurs.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Zephyrine posted:

This is why we can't have nice things. People are going to have to move on to M&Ms because skittle will be a racial slur. Then the same people who turned it into a slur will say that Political correctness has gone too far and that there's no relations between skittles and slurs.

but M&Ms all taste the same no matter what color is on the outside...

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

RagnarokAngel posted:

Just because you don't personally see the value in a well maintained, aesthetically pleasing park does not mean others don't.
No, no, that's fine. The issue is with a needlessly baroque park, over-maintained for the purpose of justifying its massive budget and the taxation that feeds it. It's not a government-exclusive problem, given how many private-sector boondoggles are undertaken each year just to make sure that no budget euro goes unspent, but it is especially annoying when it's your taxes at work.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
At a purely fiscal level, doesn't that depend on the primary and secondary returns on the park are?

Like if it makes people see the city as nicer, which attracts tourists, which attract service businesses, which pay property taxes, it could well be the case with a long established park that your taxes would go up if they just let it go to poo poo.

If on the other hand, it's pulling money away from things that have a higher multiplier and are more socially useful, like municipal broadband or free pre-K for deprived areas, then you have an argument for reducing funding.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Defenestration posted:

but M&Ms all taste the same no matter what color is on the outside...

I have no idea. We have neither here. We have smarties which I think are M&Ms :saddowns:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

darthbob88 posted:

No, no, that's fine. The issue is with a needlessly baroque park, over-maintained for the purpose of justifying its massive budget and the taxation that feeds it. It's not a government-exclusive problem, given how many private-sector boondoggles are undertaken each year just to make sure that no budget euro goes unspent, but it is especially annoying when it's your taxes at work.

My question is how you define when it when it's well maintained vs "needlessly baroque". It can be pretty drat blurry and based on how much someone perceives value in it.

Guavanaut posted:

If on the other hand, it's pulling money away from things that have a higher multiplier and are more socially useful, like municipal broadband or free pre-K for deprived areas, then you have an argument for reducing funding.

If we're going to get into "stealing from more useful institutions " then it gets more complicated because I'm personally more worried about money going to military and police to afford weapons they really don't need.

Someone else is going to argue they shouldn't have to pay for schools because they send their kids to private school etc.

Perceived value is an arbitrary measurement and specifically why we don't check off where we want our taxes spent on our returns.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Oct 8, 2016

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

RagnarokAngel posted:

My question is how you define when it when it's well maintained vs "needlessly baroque". It can be pretty drat blurry and based on how much someone perceives value in it.

It's an example. If you can't imagine a park that has been overspent then just lamp posts made out of actual gold and a lake made out of melted liquid diamond (invented just for this lake)

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Guavanaut posted:

At a purely fiscal level, doesn't that depend on the primary and secondary returns on the park are?

Like if it makes people see the city as nicer, which attracts tourists, which attract service businesses, which pay property taxes, it could well be the case with a long established park that your taxes would go up if they just let it go to poo poo.

Yeah, that's more or less it, and Zephyrine's assertion appears to be that the increased niceness of the city is not sufficient to justify the expenditure on park improvement, since park quality is subject to diminishing marginal returns.

Zephyrine posted:

I have no idea. We have neither here. We have smarties which I think are M&Ms :saddowns:
More or less, just chocolate in a candy shell?

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer

Zephyrine posted:

oh my no

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

darthbob88 posted:

More or less, just chocolate in a candy shell?

Right and the colour seems to have no effect on the flavour. The candy shell tastes like.... licking a rock. A clean rock but a rock still. It's the chocolate you're after.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Zephyrine posted:

If you're in Europe, then yeah, I suppose.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Strudel Man posted:

Also, the guy who took the 'loot' picture saw his subject go into the store and take the food, while the 'finders' were apparently surrounded by stuff that was floating in the water.

So what you're saying is that the "looters" really are the smart ones.

Like, I get that it sucks to have your place of business robbed, but I can't justify getting pissed off at people grabbing food (preferably dry, relatively clean food instead of the poo poo that's been floating in the water for God knows how long) from anywhere they can. You spot someone lugging a TV out of a best buy, fine, they're just taking advantage of the situation. But a grocer isn't going to be able to sell their stock after a flood anyway.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Oct 8, 2016

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Keeshhound posted:

Like, I get that it sucks to have your place of business robbed, but I can't justify getting pissed off at people grabbing food (preferably dry, relatively clean food instead of the poo poo that's been floating in the water for God knows how long) from anywhere they can. You spot someone lugging a TV out of a best buy, fine, they're just taking advantage of the situation. But a grocer isn't going to be able to sell their stock after a flood anyway.

It's about sacrifice. If you observe the food until it rots and floats out of the store before eating it then you preserve your honour.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Why can't these people get worked up over civil forfeiture laws instead of just going :supaburn: over taxes themselves?

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Keeshhound posted:

I'm saying that image is a poor choice to demonstrate media racism.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The spin is in :getin:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Just ignore the fact that someone is suing Trump saying that he sexually assaulted them.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I've seen a lot of that "more bothered by what Clinton has done than what Trump has said" bullshit on twitter today, as if he'd just made some inappropriate joke. Are people really so dense that they think the problem is him saying he likes to assault women and not the fact that he assaults women?

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

Pilchenstein posted:

I've seen a lot of that "more bothered by what Clinton has done than what Trump has said" bullshit on twitter today, as if he'd just made some inappropriate joke. Are people really so dense that they think the problem is him saying he likes to assault women and not the fact that he assaults women?

I honestly think that a lot of those people haven't actually read/heard what he said. A lot of places are just reporting that Trump "spoke lewdly about women", so they think he must have just said some cheesy joke about tits or something, and liberals are flipping out about it.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

Speaking of which, this is being passed around on twitter, with the argument of "Obama said it too! Your move, liberals!" Because, of course, the only reason people are mad is because Trump said the word "pussy".

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

Speaking of which, this is being passed around on twitter, with the argument of "Obama said it too! Your move, liberals!" Because, of course, the only reason people are mad is because Trump said the word "pussy".

That's just going to tank Obamas chances for a third term.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Well, the trouble is that the threat of force exists with or without an organized government, so we might as well set up some accountable institutions to wield that sort of power. A government that cannot use threats, violence, and coercion is a government that will quickly be overrun by forces that can.

See: Articles of Confederation

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.
BuzzFeed News. Now there are two words you don't see together everyday.

Not that it's likely to convince anyone who already believes, but the macro creator (or maybe it was the BuzzFeed guys, but I don't want to give the article a hit to check) blends two lines of dialogue together to make it seem like this is a quote straight from Obama's mouth. It isn't. Rather, it's a exchange he overheard that featured in his book, which he read aloud from at the Cambridge Public Library.

Dreams of My Father posted:

One of the guys sitting nearby must have overheard us, for he leaned over with a sagacious expression on his face. "You all talking about Malcolm, huh? Malcolm tells it like it is, no doubt about it."

"Yeah," another guy said. "But I tell you what - you won't see me moving to no African jungle anytime soon. Or some goddamn desert somewhere, sitting on a carpet with a bunch of Arabs. No sir. And you won't see me stop eating no ribs."

"Gotta have them ribs."

"And pussy, too. Don't Malcolm talk about no pussy? Now you know that ain't gonna work."

I noticed Ray laughing and looked at him sternly. "What are you laughing at?" I said to him. "You've never read Malcolm. You don't even know what he says."

Ray grabbed the basketball out of my hand and headed for the opposite rim. "I don't need no books to tell me how to be black," he shouted over his head.

So, uh, whatever you do, don't vote for Another Guy, I guess. :shrug:

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

There is no difference between a man saying he likes to have sex with women and a man saying he likes to grope women without their consent. It kind of get some into the "two boxes" idea, where any sex outside marriage is equally wrong. http://www.patheos.com/blogs/lovejoyfeminism/2012/08/a-tale-of-two-boxes-contrastin-sexual-ethics.html

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer
At this point republicans have basically two counters: Nuh-huh and No U

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Jurgan posted:

There is no difference between a man saying he likes to have sex with women and a man saying he likes to grope women without their consent. It kind of get some into the "two boxes" idea, where any sex outside marriage is equally wrong. http://www.patheos.com/blogs/lovejoyfeminism/2012/08/a-tale-of-two-boxes-contrastin-sexual-ethics.html

The most amazing part is that Trump was saying these things while he was married to Melania, and also saying how he really wanted to gently caress married women. Even by their own standards of "all sex outside marriage is wrong" they should still be against Trump!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Jurgan posted:

Obama didn't say this, he's quoting somebody else and if you read the rest of his speech he didn't approve.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Arglebargle III posted:

Obama didn't say this, he's quoting somebody else and if you read the rest of his speech he didn't approve.

context doesn't matter at all to the people who make these

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

muike posted:

context doesn't matter at all to the people who make these

Yeah, these are the morons who think the photoshopped pictures of Obama with watermelons dangling from the bone in his nose are real.

Plus, if they gave a gently caress about context, then "At this point, what difference does it make?" Wouldn't be such a popular catchphrase.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Well my mom is back on the "but they're both SO BAD" bandwagon. Because see, they are both liars. Because I told her (I did?) that Hillary took things from the White House and they made HER PUT THEM BACK SO SHE WAS STEALING. And there was a report she saw on Facebook that Hillary lied about her landing in a war zone and that she was shot at BUT THEN PHOTOS OF HER IN THE SAME OUTFIT SURFACED TO A CHEERING CROWD, SO WHICH IS IT, KILLARY?

Oh, and Benghazi. And emails. Pointing out that loving Captain America couldn't have saved those four men or that W and lots of his cronies used private email servers means poo poo because she KNOWS Hillary is a liar. But Trump is too. But she refuses to trust either of them.

She went a long way from being furious that Trump refused to pay his bills and construction companies went rear end over, to now debating that they are both so bad it doesn't matter. In other words, she'll vote for Trump.

At the very least she hasn't lashed out that Hillary couldn't please her own husband. Mostly because I would retort Hillary stayed due to political reasons, and sorry Mom, but Dad divorced YOU after cheating on you for 20 years because his new hot rear end girlfriend wanted to get married.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Cowslips Warren posted:

Well my mom is back on the "but they're both SO BAD" bandwagon. Because see, they are both liars. Because I told her (I did?) that Hillary took things from the White House and they made HER PUT THEM BACK SO SHE WAS STEALING. And there was a report she saw on Facebook that Hillary lied about her landing in a war zone and that she was shot at BUT THEN PHOTOS OF HER IN THE SAME OUTFIT SURFACED TO A CHEERING CROWD, SO WHICH IS IT, KILLARY?

Oh, and Benghazi. And emails. Pointing out that loving Captain America couldn't have saved those four men or that W and lots of his cronies used private email servers means poo poo because she KNOWS Hillary is a liar. But Trump is too. But she refuses to trust either of them.

She went a long way from being furious that Trump refused to pay his bills and construction companies went rear end over, to now debating that they are both so bad it doesn't matter. In other words, she'll vote for Trump.

At the very least she hasn't lashed out that Hillary couldn't please her own husband. Mostly because I would retort Hillary stayed due to political reasons, and sorry Mom, but Dad divorced YOU after cheating on you for 20 years because his new hot rear end girlfriend wanted to get married.

You were completely wrong.

Captain America could have in fact saved those 4 men. His shield doesn't obey the laws of physics at all.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

GIP conservatives probably look at this thread and think "It's going to be so quiet over there when president Trump sends all those liberals to Guantanamo bay"

Just Jackal left.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
GIP generally doesn't like either candidate much but likes Trump a LOT less. The general consensus is that they're mostly sad Biden didn't run.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

gfsincere posted:

You were completely wrong.

Captain America could have in fact saved those 4 men. His shield doesn't obey the laws of physics at all.

I follows the laws of physics. The physics of vibranium.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

I've seen it explained several times already on twitter to trumpies that the problem is not that he said 'pussy'

...Also seen trumpies attempting to lecture sexual assault survivors about consent. (As if a sexual assaulter gets to define what consent is.) It went about as well as you would expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
A friend's jackass step-brother posted up a meme today that read something like, "In Islam, you die for your God. In my faith my God died for me."

And I was so tempted to touch the poop and inform him that Muslims, Jews and Christians all worship the same God, the God of Abraham. That is why the three of them are called the Abrahamic religions.

And also that Christian belief states that Jesus was the son of God, not God themselves.

But I resisted and did not do it. Instead I blocked him.