Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Srice posted:

Gonna be honest, this is a lame as heck thing to do.

Fair enough. I just figured that his brand of stupidity needed to be experienced. But yeah,I see what you're getting at. So I'm not doing this again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

My friends tend to have garbage taste too but I wouldn't want to inflict them on other people

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

Is IBO S2 getting on Crunchyroll? I moved out of the states and have no access to hulu.

It's also on Gundam.info in at least some regions. Might be worth checking. That's how I saw it this morning, anyway.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

It's also on Gundam.info in at least some regions. Might be worth checking. That's how I saw it this morning, anyway.

Does anyone have a list of the regions in which you can view it on the Gundam channel? I can't even see the episode in the channel videos.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Lemon-Lime posted:

Does anyone have a list of the regions in which you can view it on the Gundam channel? I can't even see the episode in the channel videos.
Going by my memory of when Build Fighters was airing, outside of the USA, Gundam.info would cover Korea, China, and I think Taiwan or Thailand as well. Not sure if IBO has a different list of countries that Gundam.info is covering.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lemon-Lime posted:

Are you looking in the actual Videos tab or just on the front page? Because it's not onbthe front page, but it is in their video uploads.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Are you looking in the actual Videos tab or just on the front page? Because it's not onbthe front page, but it is in their video uploads.

To me, who lives in Sweden, it's not there either.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Judau, your suicide bombing plot to get your sister back might be your best attempt yet. That's a little sad. He's really not the brightest Gundam protagonist.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

brainwrinkle posted:

Judau, your suicide bombing plot to get your sister back might be your best attempt yet. That's a little sad. He's really not the brightest Gundam protagonist.
Miraculously he's not even in the top 5 dumbest either.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
The Dreissen is cool as gently caress. We finally get a villain who is ready to rumble.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Miraculously he's not even in the top 5 dumbest either.

There's a lot of room at the bottom.

I mean, the current protagonist is an illiterate teenager with no formal education to speak of, and I'd definitely put him top half.

(Okay, yes, he's learned to read since the start of the series, but still.)

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

There's a lot of room at the bottom.

I mean, the current protagonist is an illiterate teenager with no formal education to speak of, and I'd definitely put him top half.

(Okay, yes, he's learned to read since the start of the series, but still.)

Education and intelligence are not synonyms.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

brainwrinkle posted:

The Dreissen is cool as gently caress. We finally get a villain who is ready to rumble.

Two of them at once, really. Haman and Rakan do not gently caress around. Well, I guess the former would like to. :eyebrow:

Seriously, though, I do think that Rakan is another of ZZ's underrrated villains. He's the first ever heir to Yazan in the franchise, and actually quite a worthy one.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Oct 3, 2016

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Yeah Space Dracula was cool.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
When I saw the Dreissen show up in Unicorn, I was reminded of just how far ahead of the curve Zeon was in ZZ, with their focus on high performance suits over massed numbers like most other Zeon uprisings.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It doesn't show up in either for me in the UK, whereas Build Fighters could be viewed just fine here. :iiam:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lemon-Lime posted:

It doesn't show up in either for me in the UK, whereas Build Fighters could be viewed just fine here. :iiam:

Guess it's just Australia that gets it on Youtube then.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Gundam Breaker 3 DLC news just broke:

http://www.gundamkitscollection.com/2016/10/gundam-breaker-3-for-playstation-4-and.html?m=1

More suits TBA, but Scramble Gundam soon, Arche Gundam, pre-restoration Gusion, Barbatos Lupus and Aegis. One DLC a month starting this month, which include new builder parts.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Darth Walrus posted:

Two of them at once, really. Haman and Rakan do not gently caress around. Well, I guess the former would like to. :eyebrow:

Seriously, though, I do think that Rakan is another of ZZ's underrrated villains. He's the first ever heir to Yazan in the franchise, and actually quite a worthy one.

He was a complete bastard, good baddie.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

Gundam Breaker 3 DLC news just broke:

http://www.gundamkitscollection.com/2016/10/gundam-breaker-3-for-playstation-4-and.html?m=1

More suits TBA, but Scramble Gundam soon, Arche Gundam, pre-restoration Gusion, Barbatos Lupus and Aegis. One DLC a month starting this month, which include new builder parts.

Hahaha do they seriously sell a "twin ball set."

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

ImpAtom posted:

Hahaha do they seriously sell a "twin ball set."

Yup, they come in pairs.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Darth Walrus posted:

Rakan got lost on his way to the Fist of the North Star auditions and got casted in ZZ instead

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I'm now halfway through ZZ. It's starting to get good again, and I'm excited that we appear to be mostly through the goofs of the week period. Overall, it's still pretty disappointing that the beginning is so weak compared to MSG and Zeta.

I encourage any ZZ fans to explain why they like the first half. I don't hate it, but it doesn't really feel like Gundam to me.

The US Bluray release is really good quality.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Tomino's comedic timing is p underrated. I recommend checking out Xabungle to see him at his (intentional, lest someone bring up Garzey's Wing) funniest.

Even though ZZ isn't as funny as Xabungle I still appreciate it for making full use of the humor to bounce the cast off each other. I appreciate it in light of the aftermath of the v serious Zeta finale

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I never found the AEUG characters to be very funny. Bright has some good moments, and Judau is a big clown overall. However, Judau's crew really falls flat for me. It feels like they have no depth and not enough personality to be funny.

The villains do an excellent job of hamming it up and failing in funny ways. They seem to be mostly sidelined at this point, sadly.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
The funniest/saddest thing is one of the AUEG guys who was part of the bridge crew in Zeta who survived getting horribly murdered in the first 15 minutes. Poor dude.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
ZZ's early stuff to me is good for the character bits and the comedy but at the same time it's so painful how long it takes them to get out of that colony.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

brainwrinkle posted:

I'm now halfway through ZZ. It's starting to get good again, and I'm excited that we appear to be mostly through the goofs of the week period. Overall, it's still pretty disappointing that the beginning is so weak compared to MSG and Zeta.

I encourage any ZZ fans to explain why they like the first half. I don't hate it, but it doesn't really feel like Gundam to me.

The US Bluray release is really good quality.

I like the early bits precisely because it's not really like what "Gundam" stratified itself into being, as clearly Tomino was just sort of throwing out ideas around and giving less of a gently caress. It's a lot more like 80's sitcom anime shows and I grew up with those (and early 90's sitcom anime), so watching the Shangri-La kids get into hijinx was a huge nostalgia trip for me despite never having seen ZZ before.

You'll note that until very recently in the west, traditionally Gundam fans hated ZZ because it was the exact opposite of what Gundam meant for them, having been introduced to Gundam well after the formula was established and expectations were set. But in Japan, ZZ was definitely considered one of the classics of its time. It was only after people outside of the hardcore gundam fandom started looking in did you start hearing more and more people sheepishly admit they liked the comedy bits. Like a more subdued redux of the Turn A effect from a decade ago, when hardcore Gundam fans despised Turn A at a glance and refused to give it a shot but their opinions started to get drowned out by people who actually watched the show and talked about it. I say more subdued because ZZ is clearly not as good as Turn A so there's less people speaking up for it, and less loudly.

On to the topic of sitcoms with giant robots in them, the Patlabor TV series owns.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Xarbala posted:

On to the topic of sitcoms with giant robots in them, the Patlabor TV series owns.

Everything Patlabor owns. Third movie excluded.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Droyer posted:

Everything Patlabor owns. Third movie excluded.

Fair

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think I like ZZ about the same as I like Turn-A. They have some different highs and lows, but they average out to about the same to me.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I crapped out on ZZ the first time I watched it, but plowed all the way through a few years later. I crapped out on Turn A too, and haven't gone back. Sooner or later I will, but it starts slow and Tomino has never been my favorite style.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Looks like 0080 is getting another DVD release in the U.S. in January.

http://www.rightstufanime.com/Mobile-Suit-Gundam-0080-War-in-the-Pocket-DVD

I'm a little surprised there isn't a blu-ray release coming too, though this might just be the old DVD's being repackaged again.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Oct 6, 2016

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Goddamn, War in the Pocket is really excellent.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think it is pretty easily the best work to come out of the Gundam franchise.

OZC
Jan 28, 2008

Raxivace posted:

Looks like 0080 is getting another DVD release in the U.S. in January.

http://www.rightstufanime.com/Mobile-Suit-Gundam-0080-War-in-the-Pocket-DVD

I'm a little surprised there isn't a blu-ray release coming too, though this might just be the old DVD's being repackaged again.

That's almost exactly what it is since 0080 never got a remastered DVD and has yet to get an HD transfer in Japan. RightStuf says they are doing their own encoding on this one, but at the end of the day, the master is still the same one as the Japanese DVD release, and Bandai Entertainment's 0080 DVD was as close to identical to the Japanese disc as you could hope for, so it's really unlikely that there's gonna be much incentive to replace it if you have the old DVD already. Good news for anyone who wants it and doesn't have the Bandai release, though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Raxivace posted:

I think it is pretty easily the best work to come out of the Gundam franchise.

It is the one that hits closest to home for the children who make up the bulk of Gundam's viewership and I will give the series massive props for not sugarcoating the violence one bit. The one sided beatdown between the Alex and the kampfer is pretty chilling. Tense music cutting to silence as the gatling cannon pops out, and everything ends.

In a series that gets kind of elaborate with its fight scenes, those brutal, punctual kills are what give shows like 0080 or thunderbolt a much stronger impact.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

It is the one that hits closest to home for the children who make up the bulk of Gundam's viewership and I will give the series massive props for not sugarcoating the violence one bit. The one sided beatdown between the Alex and the kampfer is pretty chilling. Tense music cutting to silence as the gatling cannon pops out, and everything ends.

In a series that gets kind of elaborate with its fight scenes, those brutal, punctual kills are what give shows like 0080 or thunderbolt a much stronger impact.

IBO bringing a little of that is to its advantage as well. Particularly since it most commonly does it to humans rather than giant robots to maximise the shock factor. That scene with the children on the Brewers' ship was the single most nightmarish in the show.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

0080 is one of my favs, if I have to pick one fav though I'll go with movie 3, or the trilogy in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

0080's big advantage is putting characterization above shock and spectacle. It ends with one of the best fights in the franchise but the viewer doesn't want it to happen because they care more about Chris and Bernie than the robots they pilot.

Thunderbolt is entertaining but it's held back by being an exercise in how much edge can be stuffed into a single Gundam show.