Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

DrPossum posted:

gyaos reigns

hell yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Sagebrush posted:

i've never understood the vagaries of this kind of newspaper "everyone knows what we're writing but we didn't actually write it" censorship

:agreed: it's dumb as heck

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Mountain Dewrobouros

Mods, I beseech thee

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
comcast is here to provider'splain to you about data numbers and literally how to pronounce gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE9OuNK-QWg

"a trilllion is so big it might as well be made up"

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Bill NYSE posted:

g (like the one in gif) eer- dose. :colbert:
got the first bit right but the correct pronunciation is actually /Ӡy:rɔ:ʃ/

edit: hang on these characters aren't converting right

edit 2: okay fixed it

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin
time to enjoy some delicious pizza! :)

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker

Power Ambient posted:

better than pineapple

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Power Ambient posted:

still better than pineapple

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
edit: beaten

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

woodch posted:

I've been told it's "YEAR-ohs" with a hard "S" sound at the end, like at the beginning of the word "Stop", and the slightest flegm note on the "Y" sound (like there's half a "G" there or something). Plural or singluar, it's Gyros.

I'm probably wrong, and I say "I would like a YEAR-oh, please" anyway because I don't wanna come across as a pretentious jackass if I'm wrong.

I still internally roll my eyes when someone in line ahead of me orders a JIE-roe tho.

gamma is one of the only out-there letters in greek, where it can be like a big scratchy glottal or just a smooth y sound, or even a ng sound. usually gyros is a softer y, but you wanna make the r a consonant a little bit and def. pronounce that s (the -os ending is a masculine noun form).

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

https://twitter.com/PhilipRucker/status/784804121396346881

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom
Yiros is how it's transliterated to english in other parts of the world, and more or less how γύρος is pronounced in greek

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
https://twitter.com/cher/status/784825628444942336?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

🚽🚽🚽

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

aren't we all, cher...

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

im feeling a bit apoplectic myself

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

https://twitter.com/TicTacUSA/status/784831611531436032

I just love engaging with brands

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

fuckin love rabbit meat mate

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

it's pronounced "γύρος", OP

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

lol @ pence because even though he's a shithole garbage person himself with tons of crap to get called out about, the biggest issue he's going to have with his inevitable 2020 campaign is explaining why he defended trump for so loving long

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

Trig Discipline posted:

lol @ pence because even though he's a shithole garbage person himself with tons of crap to get called out about, the biggest issue he's going to have with his inevitable 2020 campaign is explaining why he defended trump for so loving long

mike 'i think gays should be forced to be straight with electro-shock therapy' pence
like, the dude is loving abhorrent, moreso perhaps even than trump, he's just not also a smug rapist (as far as we know)

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
whole buncha peeps in the republican party calling on trump to quit and trump just said there's "zero chance" of him doing so, but lol if pence nuts up and resigns as trump's running mate

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Trig Discipline posted:

lol if pence nuts up and resigns as trump's running mate

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

lol

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

DrPossum posted:

gyaos reigns

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

George posted:

cool idea, cant wait to see your first submission

/throws glove on floor

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Oct 8, 2016

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

wayfinder posted:

why do americans call it gyro and not gyros

do they assume that was a plural-s? what the hell

same with frickin biceps

same with brits and "maths"

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

NoneMoreNegative posted:

/throws glove on floor

:eyepop:

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

NoneMoreNegative posted:

/throws glove on floor

:gizz:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

sometimes facebooks algorithms hit the nail on the head

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

https://twitter.com/MachinePix/status/784818177695846400

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Glorgnole posted:

talmudic lifehacks

The aggadata follows a halakhic discussion in which the rabbis debated whether an oven that had become impure could be purified. While almost all the sages felt it couldn't be, Rabbi Eliezer, a lone voice but a great scholar, disagreed:

"On that day, Rabbi Eliezer put forward all the arguments in the world, but the Sages did not accept them.

"Finally, he said to them, 'If the halakha is according to me, let that carob­tree prove it.'

"He pointed to a nearby carob-tree, which then moved from its place a hundred cubits, and some say, four hundred cubits. They said to him 'One cannot bring a proof from the moving of a carob-tree.'

"Said Rabbi Eliezer, 'If the halakha is according to me, may that stream of water prove it.'

"The stream of water then turned and flowed in the opposite direction.

"They said to him, 'One cannot bring a proof from the behavior of a stream of water.'

"Said Rabbi Eliezer, 'If the halakha is according to me, may the walls of the House of Study prove it.'

"The walls of the House of Study began to bend inward. Rabbi Joshua then rose up and rebuked the walls of the House of Study, 'If the students of the Wise argue with one another in halakha," he said, "what right have you to interfere?'

"In honor of Rabbi Joshua, the walls ceased to bend inward; but in honor of Rabbi Eliezer, they did not straighten up, and they remain bent to this day.

"Then, said Rabbi Eliezer to the Sages, 'If the halakha is according to me, may a proof come from Heaven.'

"Then a heavenly voice went forth and said, 'What have you to do with Rabbi Eliezer? The halakha is according to him in every place.'

"Then Rabbi Joshua rose up on his feet, and said, 'It is not in the heavens' (Deuteronomy 30:12).

"What did he mean by quoting this? Said Rabbi Jeremiah, 'He meant that since the Torah has been given already on Mount Sinai, we do not pay attention to a heavenly voice, for You have written in Your Torah, 'Decide according to the majority' (Exodus 23:2).

"Rabbi Nathan met the prophet Elijah. He asked him, 'What was the Holy One, Blessed be He, doing in that hour?'

"Said Elijah, 'He was laughing and saying, "My children have defeated me, my children have defeated me."'"

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

atomicthumbs posted:

The aggadata follows a halakhic discussion in which the rabbis debated whether an oven that had become impure could be purified. While almost all the sages felt it couldn't be, Rabbi Eliezer, a lone voice but a great scholar, disagreed:

"On that day, Rabbi Eliezer put forward all the arguments in the world, but the Sages did not accept them.

"Finally, he said to them, 'If the halakha is according to me, let that carob­tree prove it.'

"He pointed to a nearby carob-tree, which then moved from its place a hundred cubits, and some say, four hundred cubits. They said to him 'One cannot bring a proof from the moving of a carob-tree.'

"Said Rabbi Eliezer, 'If the halakha is according to me, may that stream of water prove it.'

"The stream of water then turned and flowed in the opposite direction.

"They said to him, 'One cannot bring a proof from the behavior of a stream of water.'

"Said Rabbi Eliezer, 'If the halakha is according to me, may the walls of the House of Study prove it.'

"The walls of the House of Study began to bend inward. Rabbi Joshua then rose up and rebuked the walls of the House of Study, 'If the students of the Wise argue with one another in halakha," he said, "what right have you to interfere?'

"In honor of Rabbi Joshua, the walls ceased to bend inward; but in honor of Rabbi Eliezer, they did not straighten up, and they remain bent to this day.

"Then, said Rabbi Eliezer to the Sages, 'If the halakha is according to me, may a proof come from Heaven.'

"Then a heavenly voice went forth and said, 'What have you to do with Rabbi Eliezer? The halakha is according to him in every place.'

"Then Rabbi Joshua rose up on his feet, and said, 'It is not in the heavens' (Deuteronomy 30:12).

"What did he mean by quoting this? Said Rabbi Jeremiah, 'He meant that since the Torah has been given already on Mount Sinai, we do not pay attention to a heavenly voice, for You have written in Your Torah, 'Decide according to the majority' (Exodus 23:2).

"Rabbi Nathan met the prophet Elijah. He asked him, 'What was the Holy One, Blessed be He, doing in that hour?'

"Said Elijah, 'He was laughing and saying, "My children have defeated me, my children have defeated me."'"

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4f09VdXex3A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

"this is one blacker"

linus is going to be underwhelmed.

• Locked thread