Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

1. If you are going for high pierce chance Slivertongue is a really awful weapon.
2. If you are going for high pierce chance Deadeye is a pretty awful ascendancy.
3. All phys bow builds should be crit, and all non ignite prolif elemental builds should also be crit. Bow gets better and more crit nodes than any other weapon type besides dagger, and after the last round of dagger node nerfs I'd be willing to debate that point as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
What's the better ascendancy for pierce?

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Look up Assreacher or use a Pathfinder variant of it. Use Reach of the Council or a GG rare instead for the weapon.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

I guess I'd been thinking about something along the lines of combining "Arrows that Pierce cause Bleeding," Drillneck's "Projectile Damage increased by Arrow Pierce Chance," as well as Deadeye's Powerful Precision and Rupture

e:ok i will take a look

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6hMG3xGCC8

300 ignites per enemy, 3000% increased damage per 300 ignites, 2% max health healed per ignite caused.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Oct 8, 2016

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Random question - does anyone know if Essence of Insanity's Helmet mod ('Socketed Gems gain 50% of Physical Damage as extra Lightning Damage") works with Blade Vortex? Seems like it'd be a pretty good damage boost if that's the case.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

DaveWoo posted:

Random question - does anyone know if Essence of Insanity's Helmet mod ('Socketed Gems gain 50% of Physical Damage as extra Lightning Damage") works with Blade Vortex? Seems like it'd be a pretty good damage boost if that's the case.

As long as it says "physical damage" and not "physical attack damage" it should work with any type of physical damage regardless of source.
Disclaimer: I haven't tested it and I'm saying this purely based off of how it should work.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
If anyone else has (or in my case, had) a tab overflowing currency, today's daily deal is currency stash tab (75->60 microtransaction bucks)

No Friend of Gravity
Feb 24, 2006

I tried Shaper last night -- got to Phase 3 before losing. I think I learned from the experience and I'm sure part of it is practice, but I'd appreciate a look at my gear:

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/nfogravity/characters

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Im doing firestorm with 2 Mokous and Eye of Innocence, since i missed 3 years of poe, has this already been tried and been found to be worthless? I hope not.

Picer
Mar 25, 2004

Other peoples ignorance puts food on my table.

No Friend of Gravity posted:

I tried Shaper last night -- got to Phase 3 before losing. I think I learned from the experience and I'm sure part of it is practice, but I'd appreciate a look at my gear:

Set to private.

Also, stupid rips is kinda Zizaran's thing. Two in one day is much even for him though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSmgfJ9GPSc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMJAS8vaeDc

And Vaal RF is apparently good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zz8C2OvdONc

Picer fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 8, 2016

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Feb 11, 2012

How does this dude not lose any ES when using VRF?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
The "ID or not" debate is kinda interesting, especially since I'm a filthy semi-casual and I feel I'm sorta torn between the two approaches.

Seems to me the big advantage of the vendor recipe is it's easy and reliable. It earns a steady flow of cash and the low variance means you can earn money even with a small map pool and little knowledge of the meta, and therefore which rares/uniques are likely to sell.

My issue with the IDing-stuff approach is that I just don't know enough about the game. 2H weapons and bows are easy enough, just look at their pdps / edps. ES armour is easy enough: if a chest has more than ~600ES it's probably worth selling. But stuff like jewelery, which can roll any mod, is really hard to price because it's so meta-dependent (I had no idea dex/res rings were valuable, though I guess it makes sense if Siege Ballista is now A Thing). Same with weapons like wands and daggers which can be used for either spell or phys builds but want different mods for either one.

My experience this league is kinda illustrative. I've made most of my money from the vendor recipe, finding raw Exalted Orbs, and selling high-end divination cards. I'm up to T12/T13 maps and I've only found a handful of rares that sold for more than ~10 chaos. One was a tri-res/movespeed boots, which is pretty easy to price. Another was a high pDPS bow. The third was a pdps/crit size wand that had also rolled spell damage, which I only found out was valuable because I asked guild chat on a whim (apparently phys wand builds are a thing, to the point that the wasted spell damage roll could be overlooked). Probably a bunch more good rares have dropped but I didn't know enough to price them properly so I erroneously vendored them. I could try to teach myself by checking drops on POE.trade all the time, but time spent doing that is time not spent cranking the slot machine for more drops.

At the same time my experience with uniques has been totally different since the last time I played, which was several months ago. Yesterday I found a high-rolled Bringer of Rain, which a year ago would have been worth at least a couple of ex. These days it's worth a handful of chaos, I presume partly because Essences devalue uniques a bit and maybe also because for whatever reason (melee being bad? Buffs/nerfs to certain skills?) BoR builds are no longer popular. I've had similar experiences with some other uniques (eg Lioneye's Glare) that I had mentally filed as good/valuable but which turned out not to be, or at least not in the current meta.

That's all cool and good and the constantly shifting meta is a big part of the appeal of the game but unless you play a lot, read forums, watch streams etc it's really hard to keep on top of it, which makes it hard to price a lot of the rares that drop. Plus good rares don't drop that often, so you need a deep map pool to see you through the lean patches. Whereas the vendor recipe generates a reliable flow of cash and is very easy to use.

tl;dr the ID-everything approach is probably superior if you have a lot of meta knowledge and a deep map pool, but it feels like the vendor recipe is better for filthy casuals like me

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO posted:

How does this dude not lose any ES when using VRF?

vaal pact and life leech

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
What is this worth?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Jusupov posted:

What is this worth?

Edit: oh I missed the implicit

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Feb 11, 2012

Jusupov posted:

What is this worth?

Research which builds are popular that use those gem slots (colors) and make an educated decision. (I usually search poe.trade for 6L with the same gem color setup and see what those are running for) Then add a pile of money to it to account for the amazing implicit.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Jusupov posted:

What is this worth?

after you get vorici to 8 and get at least one green in there: infinite ex

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Just got a Kondos Pride, which looks cool and fun and i have a feeling as if there was a Duelist build waiting for me.
Any ideas?

Cyclone-something?
How to best synergize the mechanics?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yolomon Wayne posted:

You don't. It's terrible at crit so just run it as yet another meh rt sword. 100% blind uptime in melee is trivial now and you don't even have to give up leeching to do it. 100% bleed isn't that hard to get either.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Oct 9, 2016

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
What's the highest (effective) level empower you can get? Is it just 5, from corrupt and +1 gems item?

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

gonadic io posted:

What's the highest (effective) level empower you can get? Is it just 5, from corrupt and +1 gems item?

Vaal a demigod's and get lucky?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

gonadic io posted:

You can have at least 6, corrupted 4 +1 gems explicit, +1 gems corrupt implicit.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

gonadic io posted:

6. in Atziri's Disfavour.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Don't get any crit chance passives and strap on an abyssus. The Fatal Blade crit multiplier passives are worth getting with Kondo's (110%) if you don't have to travel to get to them.

Max roll Abyssus + Fatal Blade multiplier means a crit will deal 485% of the base damage.
A bleed that runs the full duration will deal 50%-250% of the crit damage (the range being how long the enemy is stationary/how long they're moving)
Damage against a target that is stationary the full 5 seconds is 727.5% of the base damage.
Damage against a target that is moving the full 5 seconds is 1697.5% of the base damage.

This sounds like a lot, but it's only on crits and is luck based :shrug: It's a relatively small investment (4 passives and a hat that's good in other respects) and good value for that investment, but it's pretty much just enough value to be "This is worth doing over taking RT, as long as you have tolerable accuracy and don't have other sources of bleed in your build."

:v: The upside is that a lucky crit feels fuckin' great.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Count Uvula posted:

Don't get any crit chance passives and strap on an abyssus. The Fatal Blade crit multiplier passives are worth getting with Kondo's (110%) if you don't have to travel to get to them.

Max roll Abyssus + Fatal Blade multiplier means a crit will deal 485% of the base damage.
A bleed that runs the full duration will deal 50%-250% of the crit damage (the range being how long the enemy is stationary/how long they're moving)
Damage against a target that is stationary the full 5 seconds is 727.5% of the base damage.
Damage against a target that is moving the full 5 seconds is 1697.5% of the base damage.

This sounds like a lot, but it's only on crits and is luck based :shrug: It's a relatively small investment (4 passives and a hat that's good in other respects) and good value for that investment, but it's pretty much just enough value to be "This is worth doing over taking RT, as long as you have tolerable accuracy and don't have other sources of bleed in your build."

:v: The upside is that a lucky crit feels fuckin' great.

Hm, i like the idea.

Would it go well with a Romiras Banquet? To get crits eventually but not that often?
Marlenes fallacy? Seems to kill even an eventual crit chance though.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Alternatively, go warchief totems and get as much freaking crit as possible, because you don't care that the totems don't leech.

If you're going crit, it's always worth getting as much % to crit as possible.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
In the end, it always comes down to warchief totems...

Which btw i like too.
Do totems have their own accuracy or mine?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Hm, i like the idea.

Would it go well with a Romiras Banquet? To get crits eventually but not that often?
Marlenes fallacy? Seems to kill even an eventual crit chance though.

Romira's Banquet would work okay but you'd be better off with a decent rare ring :shrug: I do not know of a single build where Marylene's Fallacy would do anything good at all though.

Phobophilia posted:

Alternatively, go warchief totems and get as much freaking crit as possible, because you don't care that the totems don't leech.

If you're going crit, it's always worth getting as much % to crit as possible.

In which case you'd want to use an exquisite blade. Though Kondo's Pride is still 450+ dps for less than an alch so it would work decently while you save up for good crit gear, including a loving expensive sword-- the cheapest exquisite blade with 450+ pdps and a critical chance mod is 200 chaos, while non-crit roll ones are 20 chaos minimum.

ZyrKx
Dec 10, 2006

Licorice Whip!
i crafted a thing it seems ok

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
Couldn't you potentially get Empower even higher than 6? Catarina's +1 to supports, a lucky + 1 to gems regal/exalt, and a +1 to gems corrupted implicit? That on top of a level 4 would put it at 7.

Granted, no one fucks with catarina's mod that I've seen, and it would be an incredibly rare combination to get (probably one in billions or more), but the possibility remains.

No Friend of Gravity
Feb 24, 2006

Same question now that the tab isn't set to private :toot:

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

zxqv8 posted:

Couldn't you potentially get Empower even higher than 6? Catarina's +1 to supports, a lucky + 1 to gems regal/exalt, and a +1 to gems corrupted implicit? That on top of a level 4 would put it at 7.

Granted, no one fucks with catarina's mod that I've seen, and it would be an incredibly rare combination to get (probably one in billions or more), but the possibility remains.

It's more likely to get a +1 gems Disfavour.

edit: unless they can't roll +1 gems?

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
According to the wiki, only a few pieces of armor can get +1 to gems, so it couldn't be done with disfavour

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

I'm not familiar but this is what the BV pathfinder in my group does.

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/toners/characters

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

http://poeurl.com/LRu Can anyone take a look at my vortex character (Skalisolfr) and recommend some suggestions/improvements? I'm trying to get stable defenses for red maps but I don't really know what to do.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Count Uvula posted:

Romira's Banquet would work okay but you'd be better off with a decent rare ring :shrug: I do not know of a single build where Marylene's Fallacy would do anything good at all though.

I've seen people run it with lots of auras and flat added damage, and a Trypanon (always crit mace), to min-max out a silly amount of multiplier.

10bux
Sep 10, 2008

The language you find in the tooltips is extremely important and easily one of the most common mistakes. However, it is also very very specific and stays true to itself throughout, other than a few random exceptions/oversights. Specifically, what I'm talking about are the "Tags" which place limitations on every skill and tells you exactly what it can and cannot interact with. Even beyond the Tags there are more things you gotta look out for, for example; the difference between "Increased Physical Damage," "Increased Melee Physical Damage," "Increased Physical Damage with Swords," "Increased Melee Physical Damage with Swords." The list goes on and on. It's important to religiously check the wiki when you're planning your next build.

Anyway, here's my specific advice:
So, what I was eluding too above is mainly things like "Adds 4 to 6 Physical Damage to Attacks." Most skills are one of two things; a Spell or an Attack. From there they go into further and further subcategories that can be either Spell or Attack only, or they can be both. For example, Increased Cold/Fire/Lightning/Physical will benefit both spells, and the weapon damage of an attack. However, once a tag is added, its uses become much more limited. "Increased Physical Damage" will buff both spells (so yes it works with BV) and attacks, but if another tag was added, "Increased Melee Physical Damage," or "increased Physical damage with one-handed weapons," that is specifically referring to melee attack damage, and the latter would be one handed physical attack damage of a one handed weapon. So even if you're using a one handed weapon, it won't buff the spell because it's specifically referring to weapon attack damage. So both the physical attack damage rolls on ring and shield will not buff BV in anyway.

Moving along, Ascendancys: (To me everything below is absolutely vital; however I know many others play BV with different ascendancy nodes just fine, I guess just do whatever you're comfortable with. More often then not, there's numerous ways to play builds differently and still have equal success at endgmae.
The synergy between Master Alchemist and VInktar is one of the main driving forces behind Pathfinder. The main thing is the "Immune to status ailments during flask." That's going to be freeze/shock/ignite. As you can see, everytime you pop your vinktar, you shock yourself. Yes having a flask "of Grounding" works, but it's just so much more reliable and better QoL to go alchemist and not ever worry about running around shocked. Also, once you spec into alchemist you will be able to drop both suffixes on your flasks Then you could either add adrenaline or warding to the other one, or, you can add a Ruby flask for the holy flask trifecta (cold,fire,light), or do something like atziris for more damage and leech. <- Forgot to add Witchfire Brew would be great here as well. Vulnerability is insane damage when combined with a mostly physical attack or spell. Keep in mind it will count as a curse as far as the maximum limit you can curse a mob, which is 1 unless you get from passives or gear. As far as Pathfinder BV ascendancy there's a few options in my opinion, but Alchemist is a must. The first is Master Alchemist - Master Surgeon. Master Surgeon will do a couple things. FIrst, by giving bleed removal and since youre ailment immune from Alchemist, the only thing you got left is stun, which you've already got covered. THis means you could literally run 5 unique flasks if you wanted, or do a quicksilver of adrenaline (or warding) as the fifth. The other Ascendancy would be something like Master Alchemist, Herbalist, Natures Adrenaline or Veteran Boyer. Poison is simply great for any physical damage, but for BV it's in no way mandatory. You also don't benefit from the chaos resistance.

Lastly, onto gear,
Your gear looks fine for the most part except for the things I outlined above. Most obvious upgrades to me would be the helm, the chest, and perhaps the belt. Try to get as much flat es as possible while keeping your res capped. As far as the belt, I think a good rustic with es and flask mods would win out, otherwise a high es crystal is always so nice. Try to get better enchantments as well. Boots you can get increased cast speed, or go for more leech, or life/mana regen. Lot's of good options there. Helms, I'm guessing the BV enchants are stupid expensive, so try looking for alternatives. "150% increased lightning golem effect" willl give you something like 15% cast speed if you use that golem. Curse effectiveness is really powerful as well. Other than that, some of those jewels can be upgraded instantly for 1chaos. <-edit: okay maybe not 1 Chaos this is the meta flavor of the month after all, haha, but they are out there! Jewels are one of the hardest things to learn just cause there's so many different tags, and they can be hard to search for. Anyway, here is how I'd utilize poe.trade count filters to find the best possible jewel in terms of damage and affordability.
http://poe.trade/search/homikihiarinan Without ES% (budget)
http://poe.trade/search/ukehaitahasato With ES% (expensive) <- make sure to use Increased Maximum Energy Shield% and not Increased Energy Shield%

I kid you not, learning this poe.trade "count filter" technique will not only allow you to find better jewels, but better deals as well, and can even give plenty of opportunities to make profit by flipping.

Hopefully, this all made sense and now you can determine for yourself, what you should be looking for in terms of upgrades. Also, everything I said is assuming you have a decent amount of ES. It's almost impossible to tell just by looking at your tree and gear but I would consider 8-9k+ ES for Blade Vortex a good amount, and 10-12k the sweet spot. If you don't meet that, I would be looking at flat ES on gear above all else, even damage.

10bux fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Oct 10, 2016

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

Welp, completely bombed my first phoenix fight. Way harder than I expected, considering I breezed through Core. SO MUCH LIFE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Zephro posted:

but time spent doing that is time not spent cranking the slot machine for more drops.
That's the key, I think.

I am playing a tornado/cold shot archer thing. I want something to distract harder enemies so I can drop some deeps. I have ~100 str and int to work with. Any ideas?

Sillybones fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Oct 10, 2016

• Locked thread