Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordNat
May 16, 2009

CodfishCartographer posted:

Yeah that's how it sounds to me, which is a lot more attractive now that I'm thinking about it a bit more. The flexibility is definitely novel, and could be really useful. On the other hand, Jinteki Biotech never caught on, so WHO KNOWS.

Kind of hard to build a flexible deck with how short on space Corp Decks are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Why the gently caress does Net Mercur trigger itself

why

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Probably dumb suggestion for a completely overhauled netrunner: each Corp deck has a sideboard of ice, around 10? Maybe have the number depend on the ID. Anyways, you can search that sideboard to install ice the same way you can normally install ice, just all your ice doesn't take up hand or deck space. Then you'd have much more fine control over positional ice and tempo ice, never worry about getting flooded or starved, and have a bunch more deck slots without increasing variance.

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Might be interesting if you still had to have an ICE card in your deck (like Dominion has "Gold" cards) so you could just fetch from the board, but still need to draw (and design your deck around) the same number of slots, but not have positional/non-gearcheck problems. Would probably make Account Siphon *literally* unplayable, but I don't see that as a downside...

The only way this would work is if you have flavored 'ICE' cards - Ice: code gate, Ice: Barrier, Ice: Sentry along with Ice: Any. You still have to choose proportions and what kind of ice, its not pure quantum-rezzing.

What you might have instead of an install tax is a flip-face-up tax, where you may pay a premium to rez a wild card ice in place(swapping in from your sideboard).

You still want to preserve the design idea of 'the corp has to float liquid credits to rez their defences' but because you can choose which ice on the fly, you want to tax the choice in the moment instead of when you install.

You could do something interesting like, say, have a few limit 1-per-deck generic ice cards that reduce cost, or a limited amount of standard ones that make you spread out among types, or ones past that that cost more but do interesting things like give it an extra str or routine. Nothing major, but just enough to make the game a touch more interesting.

Edit: Question regarding type/subtype shenanigans like Enforcer/Panchatantra: Do they explicitly care about subtypes, or just the text?
I'm curious if IP block and haas arcology AI have any interactions. It doesn't mention subtyles, just 'ai' and 'installed'.

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Oct 7, 2016

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

Why the gently caress does Net Mercur trigger itself

why

Probably that they want to give Stealth some good/strong cards before the old Stealth support chips rotate out and we go back to frantically drawing to find our rig pieces.

This Post Sucks
Dec 27, 2004

It Gave Me Splinters!
I really don't understand people who are saying that "The minimum deck sizes should be increased" and such. Can someone explain why that is an issue considering there's no maximum?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

This Post Sucks posted:

I really don't understand people who are saying that "The minimum deck sizes should be increased" and such. Can someone explain why that is an issue considering there's no maximum?

If you increase your deck size you're unilaterally decreasing your odds of success (since your deck will be less consistent) without any difference in your opponent or indeed the way the game is designed and balanced.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

This Post Sucks posted:

Basically the idea is that smaller deck size = more consistency = stronger overall deck. If I arbitrarily decide to increase my deck size, then I’m putting myself at a disadvantage compared to everyone who doesn’t. If all deck sizes were raised, then at least everyone would be on even footing.

Why argue for raising minimum deck sizes in the first place? Because deck slots are at an extraordinary premium, and finding 1-6 slots for 1 or 2 useful-but-not-integral utility cards can be difficult. Now, in order to keep decks consistent, if deck sizes were raise you’d also need to include more econ, more ice(breakers), etc, but that would still give an extra utility slot or two.

Alternatively, FFG could start designing more cards that can fulfill multiple roles within a single slot - cards like Jackson Howard,Pop-up Window, and I’ve Had Worse. If a card can do multiple jobs (even if they don’t do those jobs perfectly), it can add a lot of value to the card by means of compressing deck slots. Honestly at the end of the day I think this is the best option for the game, but I’m not totally confident that FFG can design this way very well. At the very least, they don’t seem particularly willing to do so.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Speaking of compression and more ICE that isn't a dead draw, I wish they had ICE that was thematically geared to do something like "Increases the advancement requirement on agendas in this server by X" with some kind of crazy powerful cards, maybe even "trash this ice if this server has no agenda inside of it for any reason other than having been scored," or other just a whole suite of ICE around those mechanics, like calling the ICE Dedicated or something to thematically identify that it's tied to agendas in some way, like:

Nightmare
Sentry - AP - Tracer - Dedicated
Cost: 6 (or 10 or whatever)
STR: 11 (AP but DX-proof without reducing str in some way, also extremely taxing)

Agendas in the server protected by this ICE have their advancement requirement increased by 2.
Install only in a server with an agenda; turn the agenda face-up upon installation; must pay all costs to rez this ICE when installed.

>Trace 3 - Deal 3 net damage.
>Trace 4 - Deal 2 net damage.
>Trace 5 - Deal 1 net damage.
>End the run.
>End the run.

Tweaked as needed to not be insanely OP/utterly useless, but the idea is adding new concepts and card subtypes that alter the fundamental rules of the game while opening new strategies (e.g. using that with a face-up TGTBT or something and facedown Prisec would be dirty as gently caress, then just leisurely advance before dropping in something insane to protect like an Adonis or Director Haas or some poo poo).

Tempora Mutantur fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 7, 2016

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

The ICE that I'd like to see is something along the lines of the bioroids, except you can choose to take tags to break the subroutines instead. Call them Noisy ICE or something

so something like this:

!Eli
cost 4
str 4
ICE: Barrier- Noisy
The runner may take 1 tag to break 1 subroutine on this piece of ICE
End the Run
End the Run.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

berenzen posted:

The ICE that I'd like to see is something along the lines of the bioroids, except you can choose to take tags to break the subroutines instead. Call them Noisy ICE or something

so something like this:

!Eli
cost 4
str 4
End the Run
End the Run.

all-jesminder meta incoming

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Whatever happened to Jesminder anyways? Has anyone done anything with her aside from the obvious Maya interaction? Her ability is surprisingly narrow compared to standard runner design.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

As long as we're spitballing card ideas:

Social Media Takeover
6/2 agenda - neutral, 1 inf.

The advancement requirement of Social Media Takeover is decreased by 1 for each installed Connection.
As an additional cost to steal Social Media Takeover, the Runner must pay 1 for each installed Connection.

berenzen posted:

!Eli
cost 4
str 4
The runner may take 1 tag (cannot be avoided) to break 1 subroutine on this piece of ICE
End the Run
End the Run.

Emphasis on my edit.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Whatever happened to Jesminder anyways? Has anyone done anything with her aside from the obvious Maya interaction? Her ability is surprisingly narrow compared to standard runner design.

I think my inclination would be comet, siphon, femme, test run, code siphon. Maybe a planned assault or ppvp in there depending on influence.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
Jesminder's definitely good fun - I spent a few months playing a Jesminder deck - but you could make a reasonable argument that her influence limit is actually 7 since you're kinda crazy if you're not running two Account Siphons in a Jesminder deck. She does have to play mostly in-faction other than those two splashes, but Shaper's in such a good place that I'd still say she's pretty good. You want to be able to lock down R&D fairly early, so that you can keep using Code Siphon (which is actually good for her!) to pull out the rest of your rig, and you want at least one R&D Interface so that you have more Maya targets. It's a lot of fun to bury the econ cards the corp needs to get themselves back in the game.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

berenzen posted:

so something like this:

!Eli
cost 4
str 4
End the Run
End the Run.
Wasn't "Noisy" a game mechanic in the original Netrunner?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah runner side, it prevented you from using stealth icebreakers IIRC

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Zephro posted:

Wasn't "Noisy" a game mechanic in the original Netrunner?

Mostly right Stash. It was kind of Stealth done in reverse. IIRC there were also some ICE that cared if you used a Noisy breaker vs a Stealth breaker. But I could be making that up. If I am, that could be an interesting design space if extrapolated out into other ideas, maybe a code gate like:

Revolving Door
Rez 4, Strength 2
Weyland - 2 Inf
If the runner breaks a subroutine on Revolving door with a program with 4 or less strength, he or she loses Click or ends the run.
Sub - End the run

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
The reddit tends to use the Noisy subtype on custom icebreakers that have "take a tag" costs, which works pretty well thematically.

Edit: Hopping on the custom card bandwagon.

(Unique) Super Shotgun
Anarch Program: Icebreaker, AI, Noisy
5 credit - 4 influence
Place 2 Virus counters on Super Shotgun when it is installed.
Click, Click: Place 2 Virus counters on Super Shotgun.
Hosted Virus Counter: Break ICE subroutine. Take a tag if you pass the currently encountered ICE.
Click, click, boom, boom.

Imp replacement I guess. Plus FFG has a weird thing for cards that go click click boom so why not.

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 7, 2016

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
For the first time in six MONTHS I get play at an event tomorrow. I am so glad to run nets again in real life. A little disappointed I won't have a run at worlds as result of new job, but it means that I get to be 100% chill.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/ANRLizzy/status/781910344167849984

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Can you blame them? They probably thought you were going to burn down their house.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Talk of Door to Door at a lunchtime Netrunner game has me thinking about this new card. Firstly the name and theme are amazing. The artwork is even more amazing. It makes me desperately want this card to be a good card. The card is strongly thematic, carrying that sense of vague-yet-pervasive threat that characterises Weyland. They threaten you continually, and if you refuse to take action that makes you vulnerable, then Weyland are unafraid to come and get you. When society collapses and Jinteki are hiring assassins and NBN have drones, Weyland just have paramilitaries massacre an entire building to ensure they get you.

Now the card rules. It reads: “When the Runner’s turn begins, trace1 – If successful, do 1 meat damage if the Runner is tagged; otherwise, give the Runner 1 tag.” It should be noted that this is initially ambiguous. It can read:

code:
When the Runner’s turn begins, trace 1:
    * If successful,
        - do 1 meat damage if the Runner is tagged;
        - otherwise give the Runner 1 tag
or it can read:

code:
When the Runner’s turn begins, trace 1:
    * If successful,
        - do 1 meat damage if the Runner is tagged;
    * otherwise give the Runner 1 tag
It depends on whether the “otherwise” refers to the Runner being tagged or the trace being successful. It seems to me like the intent would be the first interpretation, so I will discuss it in that context.

The idea of pinging an already-tagged Runner is decent because it brings the kill closer to reality. Suddenly a Sports Hopper and full hand doesn’t protect you from a double Scorch. But I think the biggest benefit is being able to give the Runner a tag. Giving the Runner continual tags to clear is a strong strategy for inflicting tempo loss on the Runner, and is the basis behind Argus, Data Raven, TGTBT, Casting Call, Restructured Datapool, Prisec, Manhunt, City Surveillance, etc. This is a click and 2 credits that the Runner has to waste every turn, increased to 3cr if you are SYNC, possibly decreased to a click and 0-1cr if the Runner has Crash Space, Networking, etc. Because of this tax the Runner is incentivised to prevent the tag from landing. This can be done with New Angeles City Hall but the simplest way is for the Runner to beat the trace.

This is the weakness of the card, I think, and its most salient feature. A 1-strength trace is nothing. 1-link Runners will laugh at you and if you increase the strength of the trace you are Vamping yourself. Increase the strength too much and the runner simply takes the tag and clears it, making you both spend money. This is because the trace happens at the start of the Runner’s turn, so they always have the option to clear it unless you have two scored False Leads ready to steal their entire turn from them.

So there’s a first thought. You can use False Lead to steal some of the Runner’s clicks. Then maybe you buff the trace high enough that the Runner takes the tags and you use this opportunity to rez a Zealous Judge so the Runner has to go hunt that too. He’ll have two clicks to do it so this isn’t really an airtight plan. I just don’t see you keeping the post-trace tag on the Runner by the time your turn starts. The only realistic scenario I can see is a Runner that’s gone tag-me and so doesn’t care about tags simply accumulating. This might open up a Traffic Accident, Psychographics or Boom that you couldn’t play before but at this point you have a tag-me runner and so chances are you didn’t need the Door to Door and can rely on the other sources of tagging you have.

Second, closely related thought, is you make the runner unable to beat the trace because they’re already tagged and you played Closed Accounts and they have no drip economy. Then it’s three clicks to gain 2cr and clear the tag and that’s crippling for the Runner to compete with. Doesn’t seem like a reliable strategy though.

The third thought, and first real one, is we buff the trace to make it something worthwhile. If it were a strength 3 trace in the first place this would be seen as a worthwhile and even strong current that stands on its own no problems. Unfortunately trace 1 is too weak so we look to ways to buff strength. Firstly we have the NBN identity Making News with recurring credits that, if unspent during our own turn, allows us to hit the Runner with a free strength 3 trace at the start of their turn. This is a legitimate tax to levy on the Runner and so I see it as the most viable way to make this card worthwhile, and doesn’t require a combo since the recurring credits are built into your ID.

Fourth thought is related, which is to make use of Primary Transmission Dish from Upstalk. This gives you a 4-credit tax to the runner, though the Runner will be incentivised to trash the Dish as soon as possible (or kill the current). The recurring credits aren’t tied to an ID so you can play this combo in either Weyland or NBN, for roughly similar influence spends either way. It is a combo, though, so you need to both find cards to pull this off, although you can get the Door to Door started earlier and then just install the Dish when you draw into it.

Fifth thought is Surveillance Sweep until a colleague pointed out that this is a current and so we can’t have two currents at the same time. This was disappointing news to me.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
It's a bad card.

It costs 3 to play, runners are rich and are playing Sports Hopper against Weyland for extra link. If it sees any semi-successful play at all, it's going to be in a janky Making News deck, which can boost the trace and also runs Closed Accounts to keep the runner poor, not in Weyland.

I'm fully prepared to eat my words, but I don't see that happening.

Hannibal Rex fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Oct 8, 2016

Yithian
Jun 19, 2005

Great theme? Check
Great art? Check
Underwhelming effect? Double loving check.

Definitely sounds like a Weyland card.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Hannibal Rex posted:

It's a bad card.

It costs 3 to play, runners are rich and are playing Sports Hopper against Weyland for extra link. If it sees any semi-successful play at all, it's going to be in a janky Making News deck, which can boost the trace and also runs Closed Accounts to keep the runner poor, not in Weyland.

I'm fully prepared to eat my words, but I don't see that happening.

I'd be inclined to run it with reversed accounts and dedication ceremony. Sure, the runner can make money in a turn, but a 12 credit swing that brings them to 0 should be enough to pay for a trace and scorches.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Yeah I don't know why FFG were so gun-shy about it. In a world with Beth, Mercur, Rumour Mill, HHN, etc I don't think the trace being 2 or even 3 would have somehow been overpowered. As it is it does literally nothing against Andromeda, Kate, Geist and any other runner with 1 link unless you pump credits into it.

Maaaybe Stinson will make Weyland rich enough to be able to make that kind of asymmetric economic warfare worth it, but I'm not holding my breath.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Been watching some more PU games on Jinteki. It feels like it's nearly there but just not quite good enough, like one more card could really make it viable. A few observations:

- It seems quite high variability. If you trash a breaker and a LARLA then Chronos them away you can have blowout games; like PE you're super vulnerable to Siphon and Keyhole or just a careful runner with a lot of money.
- Ark Lockdown is unsurprisingly good in PU, but the 12-inf limit hurts.
- Economy and clicks are a problem, same as in PE. I've seen variants running Turtlebacks but they tend to get killed on sight, even with Hostile Infrastructure rezzed. Jinteki almost needs a card that puts on advancement on every installed card or something.
- I think Neural EMP is necessary - Runners can control when net damage happens more than they can when playing against PE, so they're more willing to go down to 0/1 cards at the end of a turn, and EMP is the only real way to punish that if they're religious about checking for Bio-Ethics
- Even with the ID ability effectively boosting each piece of net damage by 1, I'm not sure PU actually does more damage in a typical matchup than PE does.
- Which means I think PE makes a better kill deck and a better thousand-cuts deck than PU does; PU's main win condition seems to be lockout by overtaxing recursion. You can get kills in PU and I've seen quite a few but they all seem like they'd be just as good or better in PE or Biotech or IG, especially since all those get 3 more inf to play with.
- It's hilarious watching PU vs Maxx

Zephro fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 10, 2016

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Two thoughts from playing a ton of NR on Jinteki in the last week:

1) Net Mercur is real, real dumb. Pack your foxfires, kids!

2) HOLY poo poo HOUSEKEEPING IS SO GOOD RIGHT NOW. If you aren't playing Argus or some other deck where you need lots of small agendas, Housekeeping does such absurd work against most decks. Runners are loving spamming giant resource-hogs and stealth rigs instead of running lean, and Housekeeping just wrecks them.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Does Foxfire even do poo poo against Net Mercur or are they just too rich

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

StashAugustine posted:

Does Foxfire even do poo poo against Net Mercur or are they just too rich
They're usually too rich but sometimes it does early on.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Zephro posted:

They're usually too rich but sometimes it does early on.
It literally depends on if they first-turn Tenmujin Contracts your archives or not

Yithian
Jun 19, 2005

I hope everyone is ready to go to Mars!

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/10/10/daedalus-complex/

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91dW9pUA1BI

I am ready.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

MCA Informant is hilarious. Sure, go ahead, spend 1 click and 2 credits to trash your own connection!

And Keros Mcintyre might actually make Khan and her birds somewhat playable!

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal

MCA Informant is hilarious. Sure, go ahead, spend 1 click and 2 credits to trash your own connection!

And Keros Mcintyre might actually make Khan and her birds somewhat playable!

I want Keros so badly. I'm currently playing a deck with Golden, Peregrine, Paperclip, 2xMultithreader, 3xCybsoft Memchip, Autoscripter and 3xTechnical Writer to do SILLY SILLY THINGS to low-strength ICE, but I'm struggling to get it up and running quickly enough. This could be a real nice way to make the birds easier to run.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I am hype to play SPACE WEYLAND (yes I know we have Gagarin already shut up)

AgentF
May 11, 2009
It's very clearly Mars Weyland. Not everything that's non-Earth is Space, you bigot.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Holy dicks Oberth Protocol looks so loving good. Weyland can go fast and advance ice properly now? You won't break even on advancing Ice still but scoring Hostiles in 1 click is amazing, then you can score Posted Bounties from hand and forfiet them to advance other things with Jemison and holy shittttt :ssj:

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

The only issue with oberth is it has a really low trash cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Yeah, but it's an upgrade so you can just stick it in your scoring server ahead of time anyways, and if you score even one 5/3 off of it you've got your money's worth out of it, with any extra triggers either double-advancing your ICE, or rushing out more agendas.

• Locked thread