Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
plaintiff
May 15, 2015

James "Rebel Jr." Dean Jr. is best.

Also, flashbang is my life, I have used three-flashbang Grenadiers to great effect. It stops melee charges from enemies, it stops Psionic powers, and makes them whiff on most of their aimed shots with guns! It's so good! Mechanical units need a counter, as they're immune, but most anything else is rendered dickless by the almighty flashbang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zyxophoj
May 24, 2014
Oh, how we love to hate codexes. I think giving them dodge was particularly evil, since it can turn a kill shot into another codex clone. Thanks, Jake.

I think mopping up clones was the one of the intended uses for Reaper, but really, it's better to give a ranger Rapid Fire instead - two shotgun blasts to the face tends to stop the clone problem before it starts.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

zyxophoj posted:

Oh, how we love to hate codexes.
Towards late game I tend to put anti-MEC ammo on everyone - more for sectopods than codexes, but it works real well.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Man "Whore Man" Whore

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Please stop saying 'codexes'.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Emissary666 posted:

Also, retroactive AWC activates when you go into soldier abilities, not when you just select them.
This sounds like a thing that needs to be bold-quoted at Jade a bunch. :v:

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
Oh dear more enemies with female features. If there is not already a giant breasts mod its implementation has now become inevitable.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Man "Prostituted Man" Whore

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010

Jenner posted:

Oh dear more enemies with female features. If there is not already a giant breasts mod its implementation has now become inevitable.

Man "Tit Mod" Whore

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I'll be the dissenting voice in this vote.

James "Road Sausage" Dean Jr.

plaintiff
May 15, 2015

Jenner posted:

XCUM

Also in a weird way, it makes sense why the aliens would make their repository of all information on Earth humanoid in shape. They're like flash drives with big golden butts. Some Ethereal decided they had to have it that way, I guess!

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs

Jenner posted:

Well you see the aliens gave their snek ladies and psionic energy beings made up of data lady parts because _________________

And if the Codex doesn't make you appreciate the humble flashbang grenade, nothing will.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

LEGO Genetics posted:

Well you see the aliens gave their snek ladies and psionic energy beings made up of data lady parts because _________________

And if the Codex doesn't make you appreciate the humble flashbang grenade, nothing will.
I only flashbang codices when I know I can kill them in one round. Their waste-a-turn skill is insanely annoying but for some reason nothing invites bullshit crits to soldiers in full-cover like flashbanging a codex and causing it to have no choice but to shoot.

The fuckers never miss when I do that. It's even worse when you run into pods of 2-3 of them at once.

Meadowhill
Jan 5, 2015

Jenner posted:

Mind expanding on this? Can't really see it.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Dikkfor posted:

Man "Tit Mod" Whore

Man "Jiggle Physics" Whore

Meadowhill posted:

Mind expanding on this? Can't really see it.

No.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
no, Man "Feelgood" Whore

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

MC Smoke Sensei posted:

James "Rebel Jr." Dean Jr. is best.

Lunethex posted:

no, Man "Feelgood" Whore

Yup, those.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

LEGO Genetics posted:

I gotta say Jade, your lack of platinum and subsequently the lack of PM's really put a damper on my recommended root beer/other sodas list. I need a definitive list do I can go to the local store and take pictures of said root beers. And get you to buy more.

Aww, that's a good point. I saw a few different types of soda beers around my Walmart so I'm kinda curious if they're any good.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

It's not root beer, but I've noticed something interesting with different ginger beers. Bundaberg's got a strong flavor but that's about all, but I recently tried Fentimans. That one's more intense, and goes straight into my sinuses in a way that the other one never did. Does anyone know if that's just an effect of the flavor intensity or there's some other trick that makes that happen?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Man "Rootbeer Chat" Whore.

The possibilities are kind of endless with that name.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

Emissary666 posted:

Finally, James "Rebel Jr." Dean Jr.

Feel like James "Rebel Jr." Dean Jr. doesn't quite roll off the tongue, the repetition kinda makes it run into itself a bit, but it's definitely the right idea. Something more like James "L'il Rebel" Dean Jr.?

I definitely agree that making Man Whore into Dr. Feelgood is entirely appropriate.

Also: Started playing this on PS4, actually works quite well as a console game. Doesn't allow you to move with waypoints though, the camera isn't particularly agreeable, and during a mission that started dropping reinforcements on me every single turn the game slowed down a fair bit and the drop-in cutscene turned into a slideshow.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

Jenner posted:

I think it's implied that the codex is the fate of the furies and that one french woman from the first game seeing how in this timeline x-com was unable to save them.

GVOLTT
Dec 27, 2012

Honestly, I don't know what I want to put here, so I'm going with this.
I don't know about James Dean Jr.'s nickname, but I'm of the opinion that Man Whore's nickname should remain what the game chose. "Shady" seems too perfect.

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.
Speaking of sundry root and/or ginger beers, I had the original LP on a while back and there was a particular one Jade was waxing lyrical about (and drinking during an episode),very fiery and full of bite. Can anyone remember it by any chance? Jade? I'm visiting the US and have been itching for a sinus clearer.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Thefluffy posted:

I think it's implied that the codex is the fate of the furies and that one french woman from the first game seeing how in this timeline x-com was unable to save them.

I don't really remember this from the game, but I very likely may have missed it. Can you point it out, or are we not there yet?

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Thefluffy posted:

That's a really interesting thought, but the furies weren't all female. Can you point out anything to support the connection of this though?

dregan posted:

Speaking of sundry root and/or ginger beers, I had the original LP on a while back and there was a particular one Jade was waxing lyrical about (and drinking during an episode),very fiery and full of bite. Can anyone remember it by any chance? Jade? I'm visiting the US and have been itching for a sinus clearer.

If i remember right i think i was talking about Blemhiem Ginger Beer. It was very strong and even spicy, too much for me.

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.

Jade Star posted:

If i remember right i think i was talking about Blemhiem Ginger Beer. It was very strong and even spicy, too much for me.

Looks like what I googled up back then, thanks!

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Finished recording mission 16 and am still in the mood for Xcom so i'm going to load up and stream the alternate save file I have of the big goon pool.

http://www.twitch.tv/sa_jadestar If you want to watch and get more x-com in your diet.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I have many types of root beer available to me and little knowledge of them. IBC, A&W, Mug and Barq's are all I've ever tried, aside from whatever the brand they give you in Cracker Barrel is. Barq's still remains my fave.

So there's Maine root, Virgil's, Stubborn Soda; Classic Root beer, Stewart's fountain, Honest Fizz organic Root beer, Capt'n Eli's, Blue Sky creamy, Stevia Soda, and Zevia Ginger root beer.

So, like I said, tons of flavors, no idea what's good. :v:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Thefluffy posted:

I doubt it, I got a mission where bodies were found inside tubes in a ship that's implied to have been the Furies since you didn't save them.

zyxophoj
May 24, 2014

Jenner posted:

And we haven't even seen a female Muton yet.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Seeing how most of the aliens are simply cloned en masse, presumably from a master copy that suits that particular role, the need for differing genders for reproductive purposes seems moot.

That said, now it seems even weirder that not only do vipers have breasts (maybe from incorporating human DNA as they did for sectoids?), but they retain their ability to breed with the viper king. Or that there's even a viper king in the first place (how did Vahlen even find these guys?). Are some species bred rather than cloned? Life finds a way?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Elth posted:

Seeing how most of the aliens are simply cloned en masse, presumably from a master copy that suits that particular role, the need for differing genders for reproductive purposes seems moot.

That said, now it seems even weirder that not only do vipers have breasts (maybe from incorporating human DNA as they did for sectoids?), but they retain their ability to breed with the viper king. Or that there's even a viper king in the first place (how did Vahlen even find these guys?). Are some species bred rather than cloned? Life finds a way?

It's because
>Firaxis went insane

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Wheany posted:

It's because
>Jake went insane

I know it's not exactly related to Jake's work but I just wanted to blame Jake for it all the same.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

RareAcumen posted:

I have many types of root beer available to me and little knowledge of them. IBC, A&W, Mug and Barq's are all I've ever tried, aside from whatever the brand they give you in Cracker Barrel is. Barq's still remains my fave.

So there's Maine root, Virgil's, Stubborn Soda; Classic Root beer, Stewart's fountain, Honest Fizz organic Root beer, Capt'n Eli's, Blue Sky creamy, Stevia Soda, and Zevia Ginger root beer.

So, like I said, tons of flavors, no idea what's good. :v:

A&W, Mug, And Barqs are all what I'd call the Soda Rootbeers. They aren't bad, but they're carbonated and use syrups or processed sugars and come out more like soda than what I'd call a proper rootbeer. IBC is a good start to real rootbeers. Not particularly high end, but it's good and easier to find.

Maine Root does good rootbeers and sarsaparillas, I find these in my local BevMo often and always pick up a few. Virgils does unique stuff with their rootbeer. I've never seen anyone else blend in Bavarian nutmeg into their drink and it's really something. Stewart's I found a little pedestrian. Nothing was wrong, but nothing really made it stand out.

I haven't run into the rest of the brands you mentioned, which is a shame. Probably a regional thing, but really the best thing to do is buy a bottle or two of everything you can find and give 'em a try to see for yourself and enjoy figuring out what you like the most. For me it'll always be a Henry Wienhard, but I still enjoy a lot of other brands and even find myself needing other rootbeers as a sort of palate refresher. If I buy nothing but a couple packs of Henry's then I find myself enjoying them less by the end. Variety is a good thing.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y6PHwUO7BQ

Personally i feel that "The very mean gunshooting car" really encapsulates the sectopods general attitude.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Man(uel) "Jorge" Whore

(Man whore-hey Whore, if it helps.)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Tzarnal posted:

Personally i feel that "The very mean gunshooting car" really encapsulates the sectopods general attitude.

Fight the outer space beings in your flying ship called "The Fightbacker".

edit: "You can change how hard it is for more pain and sad feelings, but also greater win feelings!" That's deep, man.

VKing
Apr 22, 2008

Tzarnal posted:

Thanks for showing me this; it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Keep it as Shady

That is just way too perfect of a thing to give up.

• Locked thread