Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

What should I use for an ePub reader?

Google Play Books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

DemonMage posted:

Google Play Books.

Can I copy poo poo from my PC

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Can I copy poo poo from my PC

Yes you can, as long as it's less than 100MB.

https://play.google.com/books/uploads

That said, I tend to use Moon+ Reader, even with its slightly confusing layout, because it can use Google Text-to-Speech to read out ebooks from the background, whereas Google Play Books needs to be the current open app to do the same. But that's an odd niche case.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

maltesh posted:

That said, I tend to use Moon+ Reader, even with its slightly confusing layout, because it can use Google Text-to-Speech to read out ebooks from the background, whereas Google Play Books needs to be the current open app to do the same. But that's an odd niche case.

Dooooope

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

What should I use for an ePub reader?

Personally, I like Google Play Books

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

NihilCredo posted:

Out of curiosity, what benefits do you guys get from being able to answer SMS messages from the desktop? Presumably your phone is right there in your pocket anyway. Is it just to be able to use a physical keyboard?

I often wear headphones at my computer and don't hear my phone go off, being able to see it mirrored on my desktop helps me respond faster to people and I can type a lot faster on a real keyboard.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

maltesh posted:

That said, I tend to use Moon+ Reader, even with its slightly confusing layout,

Love love love Moon+ Reader, I use the hell out of the custom page theme settings.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
I use FBReader. It doesn't do anything fancy, but it doesn't do anything worth complaining about, either. Does what I need it to, works just fine with Calibre, does remote directories just fine.

I guess you're spoiled for choice.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

maltesh posted:

It uses insane amounts of space on the device though. Your < 100MB books unfurl into into several gigabytes for some reason, I have no clue why. Prerendering pages or something? I have a few books in PDF format, under 10MB each, taking up almost 2GB on my 16GB phone. Thanks google!

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
I have 6 books saved to my device, and it's taking up 92 MB of storage for data. Which is still high since each one is probably under a meg, but it's likely caching a bunch of images for my library and the store and such too. So it's not a big deal. Probably a PDF specific bug, or something with your specific PDFs.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

baka kaba posted:

It uses insane amounts of space on the device though. Your < 100MB books unfurl into into several gigabytes for some reason, I have no clue why. Prerendering pages or something? I have a few books in PDF format, under 10MB each, taking up almost 2GB on my 16GB phone. Thanks google!

You can clear the data locally, but of course you'll have to reload your books when you want to read them.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Yeah I figured it was a PDF thing, I have epub versions too but I need the proper formatting (got some code snippets in there). I'm assuming it's caching pages up front to make them cheaper to render, but still no drat excuse for filling up all the available space. Wonder if you're right about a specific issue with certain files...

Oh another annoying thing about Play Books, you can't edit the metadata. My PDFs don't have any title and author info, so the book is permanently named after the filename. Classy

nocal posted:

You can clear the data locally, but of course you'll have to reload your books when you want to read them.

Yeah it's that kind of janitoring I was hoping to avoid with the magic of the cloud, not that it should even matter with a few frickin ebooks like it's 1996 or something :argh:

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Oct 12, 2016

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

I need a good Halloween live wallpaper, I'm sure those still exist right?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Wacky Delly posted:

I need a good Halloween live wallpaper, I'm sure those still exist right?
Live wallpapers were never good, with a few small exceptions

Just get Abstract Art and turn it to something orangey and call it good

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Tapet has a Halloween design, you could just turn the slider up for that one and have a variation on it all the time

Looking at it now it's actually got a fair few spooky ones in the paid version, but then who doesn't have Google bucks spare from surveys

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Oct 12, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tapet is totally worth paying for too, imo

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I'm stingy as hell about paying for apps and I bought tapet, its good

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I have a confession. I haven't changed my wallpaper on my last 3 android devices from what the devices came with out of the box.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Thermopyle posted:

I have a confession. I haven't changed my wallpaper on my last 3 android devices from what the devices came with out of the box.

Disgusting.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I have been using a solid black wallpaper for years because I read somewhere that it was better for my OLED screen / battery. Now that I think about it I have no idea if it's true. :v:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I've been using this one since forever

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kalicinscy.wallpaper.starfield.paid

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I've used the same photo of my dog for a couple years because I like my dog.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

You filthy casual

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Skarsnik posted:

But then who doesn't have Google bucks spare from surveys

People keep saying this, but I just signed up for this Google surveys poo poo a month ago and I've had a total of one survey. with one question. from Google.

I think this app really sucks for non-US users.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
It's hit-or-miss for me. I think it took a few months for me to start getting surveys, and I do go through dry spells. I've accumulated about $60 (US) in maybe two years of having the app, though, so it can work. I'd be surprised if they bothered to roll it out somewhere where they don't have many partners.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

I tend to get surveys when I'm leading my interesting, exciting life by visiting various local stores like Kinkos, Sams Club, and other mega retailers. Interestingly, I only have the survey app on my tablet that stays at home, as opposed to my phone. It's almost like Google is tracking and recording everything I do with any device connected to a Google account.

So, I dunno, try leaving the house or something.

edit: I always get a laugh out of how the surveys try to add junk answers to try to obfuscate the fact that Google knows exactly where you went. I get questions like:

Which of these places did you recently visit:
A) Sarajevo, Bosnia
B) Memphis, Tennessee
C) Olympia, Washington
D) Walmart located in North Myrtle Beach, SC, Store #855776, Checkout line 4 at 8:59:24 PM 10/05/16.

B-Nasty fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 13, 2016

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
I recently got sent another promotional credit for $500 worth of survey answers.

I guess there's something going on that they think people might be interested in buying surveys for?

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Does anybody know of a good annotation app since there's no more Skitch?

I want to be able to take a photo of something, draw lines and circle things, and add text.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I used comic art for a long time. For the last few years, I've been rotating images of the Chicago skyline every season. Just changed it to a photo of the skyline with an orange sky for the fall. I have one with snow/ice on the lake ready for the winter.

XIII posted:

I've used the same photo of my dog for a couple years because I like my dog.

My sister has been using the same photo of her kids for like two years. The problem is that she gave birth to a another kid since that photo was taken. Guess she only likes two of them!

hooah posted:

It's hit-or-miss for me. I think it took a few months for me to start getting surveys, and I do go through dry spells. I've accumulated about $60 (US) in maybe two years of having the app, though, so it can work. I'd be surprised if they bothered to roll it out somewhere where they don't have many partners.

It took me over a year to get surveys. Then, I got them all the time for a few months. I get less now, but maybe one or two a week.

Jigoku posted:

Does anybody know of a good annotation app since there's no more Skitch?

I want to be able to take a photo of something, draw lines and circle things, and add text.

OneNote?

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Uthor posted:

OneNote?

Can you export it from OneNote as a jpeg or anything?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I once got a survey while in a theater. The questions asked when the last time I saw a movie in theaters. One of the answers was, "I'm at the theater now." Like, drat, Google, be cool. At least pretend you aren't tracking me in real time.

(to be fair, I see a lot of movies. Also, it was still in the pre-preview part where the lights are still up and they're just playing normal advertisements, before anyone thinks I was on my phone during a movie)

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

XIII posted:

I once got a survey while in a theater. The questions asked when the last time I saw a movie in theaters. One of the answers was, "I'm at the theater now." Like, drat, Google, be cool. At least pretend you aren't tracking me in real time.

With the amount of information Google has along with accurate GPS and/or indoor positioning, I won't be the least bit surprised when it starts prompting you real-time about events in the particular movie you're watching:

What did you think about the preview you just watched for "Rings"
A) Scary
B) Lame
C) Cool

When that guy jumped out of the basement, were you scared?
A) Yes
B) No

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I've had a few real time surveys. Usually it's something like "Are you at [wherever]?" then "Would you take a picture of your receipt?"

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I don't usually get any surveys that precise, but I'm in Canada and usually have data disabled. Mostly Google hasn't seemed to figure out that I work retail yet, the questions are all things like 'Hey Yggi what vacation planning website do you like best' 'which car manufacturers make you feel emotionally secure' 'how much more will you pay for beef if you know it's locally grown'.

Google I live in a townhouse.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Looten Plunder posted:

People keep saying this, but I just signed up for this Google surveys poo poo a month ago and I've had a total of one survey. with one question. from Google.

I think this app really sucks for non-US users.

I'm in the UK

Mostly location based ones whenever I walk through the town centre, I haven't paid for an app in years now

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Skarsnik posted:

I'm in the UK

Mostly location based ones whenever I walk through the town centre, I haven't paid for an app in years now

I get one every single day I walk past the Waitrose in town.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Saying that, the mrs has all the Google location aware stuff turned off and she still gets regular surveys too

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sad Panda posted:

I get one every single day I walk past the Waitrose in town.
This happened when I moved house, I would get them every few days, but then it seemed to suss out after a while that I actually just walk past it twice a day. Even though I do also go into Waitrose fairly regularly as well, it doesn't ask me any more. Though I will get maybe one a week about a random other shop in the same centre that I also walk past every day. Works for me.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

It really really wont believe me when I tell it I haven't invested in the international copper market either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
I told Google I owned a small business (true) and boy are they ever spinning their wheels trying to figure out what it is.

Also I've been asked if I've gone truffle hunting twice in the last six months.