Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

howe_sam posted:

What will be weird about Defenders is seeing Matt in the daredevil costume alongside all these superheroes who just wear what they rolled out of bed wearing.

Danny might have a costume too, though I imagine he's more likely to just wear some comfy green clothes or something. I'm more curious to see how Jessica and Luke react to seeing Daredevil's costume. And how they react to seeing each other again I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Halfway through Luke Cage, it's awesome.

Though I have to say, I can't wait until the Defenders to see Jessica Jones vs the Swear Jar.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Blazing Ownager posted:

Halfway through Luke Cage, it's awesome.

Though I have to say, I can't wait until the Defenders to see Jessica Jones vs the Swear Jar.

Her toughest battle yet. Though now I want to see her and Deadpool interact, just for the polar opposite personalities.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Alexeythegreat posted:

Turk is the universal constant of Marvel Netflix, the one character that is consistently good whenever he's onscreen. Even Fisk and the Punisher have "eh" moments, Turk is the best.

Counterpoint: Claire :colbert:

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Guy Goodbody posted:

I want Iron Fist to wear little booties like in the comics

Daredevil and Iron Fist should have a catfight about who has the stupidest costume. Jessica and Luke patch things up over popcorn. Claire films Matt and Danny rolling around on the floor together to sell later.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
In a twist, Matt threatens to sue Danny for plagiarism when Danny uses a bandana on his head to denote a costume.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

HIJK posted:

Daredevil and Iron Fist should have a catfight about who has the stupidest costume. Jessica and Luke patch things up over popcorn. Claire films Matt and Danny rolling around on the floor together to sell later.

Obviously it would be the bootlegger with the 4K camera rig

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Carlosologist posted:

Counterpoint: Claire :colbert:

Counter-counterpoint: "Remember who you are."

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

At the Iron Fist panel, watched a bunch of clips and while the fight scenes seem cool I'm not sure about Finn Jones as Danny. He's good in the comic scenes but in the dramatic all I can hear in his voice is his attempt to hide his accent

E: trailer incoming

E: Defenders' villain is Sigourney Weaver

Arist fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Oct 9, 2016

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Arcanen posted:

Really could have done without the whole "rape as plot device that contributes to woman becoming a villian" thing though.

I liked the fact that Cottonmouth downplayed all the poo poo that happened to her, the rape and abuse, and her feelings of being marginalized pushed her to violence. I think they handled her molestation quite well. It's insidious, and they treated it as such.

It was nice to see a show that held these types of experiences as being traumatic and important throughout your life. I don't think her molestation defined Mariah so I don't think it was exploitative to show her snap in that already high stress time of her life.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
https://twitter.com/crystalbell/status/784890996769296384

https://twitter.com/marvelironfist/status/784891514480631809

https://twitter.com/bliss116/status/784891906580971520

https://twitter.com/theericgoldman/status/784895313303789568

https://twitter.com/agentm/status/784897534368083968

Goddamnit give me that trailer this is killing me.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Weaver's a hell of a get, great news for Defenders

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
IRON FIST TRAILER

https://twitter.com/marvelironfist/status/784898542737293313

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

That sure is a glowing fist and dragon tattoo.

I'm in on the show obviously, but that was pretty generic Marvel Netflix

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I am shocked they got Sigourney Weaver for their Netflix show. That's a huge score.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Punisher just went into production, Iron Fist trailer and lots of great buzz from the other clips shown at NYCC, and Sigourney Goddamn Weaver as the villain in Defenders. Good day to be a Marvel nerd.

https://twitter.com/mollyrockit/status/784898494293311488

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Oct 9, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Any idea who Weaver is playing?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Nope!

I mean, they'll probably announce it eventually but we don't know yet

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Part of me wishes she could just play the character from her cameo role in Ghostbusters 2016. Would love her as a quirky mad scientist supervillain.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

ImpAtom posted:

Any idea who Weaver is playing?

They've been hinting at MODOK, right?

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

First guess is she'll be Harold Meachum's wife/daughter (or like Jeryn Hogarth a genderbent version) and current CEO of Rand Corporation.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Iron Fist better be 90% flashbacks to a martial arts tournament.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
I watched all of Luke Cage but just never got into it. Like Daredevil, it was full of flashbacks I didn't care about and dedicated a whole lot of screen time to making you think the main character is a real stand-up guy when you're already rooting for them. Also a lot of the fights were samey. Some guys shoot at Luke, it does nothing, they guys say oh poo poo, Luke punches them. So I actually liked Diamondback more than some people in the thread did, because he at least upped the stakes from zero and made it so Luke would have to actually try to win. I thought their confrontation in the theater was one of the best scenes in the show. I thought he was fine as a former friend of Luke's who became a crime lord and framed him for some crime after they had a falling out. All the stuff after they revealed they were half-brothers was overdoing it. Also when that doctor said that Luke's genetics played a part in his powers, it was pretty obvious Diamondback was going to survive long enough to get those powers himself.

I thought for sure Claire's mom was gonna die after they borrowed her van to transport Scarfe and everyone was after it. Had the name of her business on it and everything, and Diamondback had his whole speech about hurting other people Luke cared about. You think they'd at least follow up on that and keep tabs on the place. Instead, no consequences for that obvious slip-up by the good guys.

I thought the show did get worse when Cottonmouth died but not really because he was a good villain. He was boring to me. His backstory of having a potential career in music but being diverted by his family's shittiness was an interesting idea but that didn't really make anything he did more interesting to watch. But the other villains were worse.

I felt bad for Domingo. He seemed to be the only crime boss who can run his organization without constantly murdering his own guys. Speaking of which, I thought Shades surviving the attempt to kill him was pretty cool and surprising. I thought it was going to be a boring tying-up-loose-ends scene. Also I'm pretty sure any fight scene is improved by taking place in an elevator.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Heathen posted:

First guess is she'll be Harold Meachum's wife/daughter (or like Jeryn Hogarth a genderbent version) and current CEO of Rand Corporation.

Harold Meachum and his daughter are already characters in Iron Fist

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Genderbent Mephisto. :heysexy:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I want the villain to be Sigourny Weaver.

Not playing any character. Just the Defenders versus Sigourny Weaver.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Drifter posted:

Genderbent Mephisto. :heysexy:

It only counts if she makes out with Matt in the middle of a seedy bar and then disappears in an explosion of purple smoke.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Chokes McGee posted:

I want the villain to be Sigourny Weaver.

Not playing any character. Just the Defenders versus Sigourny Weaver.

They wouldn't stand a chance.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

tsob posted:

One problem I had with the boxing flashback is that Lucas only got in to it at all because of pride, so having it end with him winning and then connecting that to the present with him wanting to just be done with Diamondback feels really weird to me. As he tells the flashback it seems more appropriate for him to lose and learn a lesson in humility, or at least why his fight with Willis is pointless. A lot of the that fight is weird to me though

Luke saying "I'm not going to fight you anymore", taking a few punches and then fighting Diamondback again is weird too. I get that it was misdirection - I just think if he's going to go in to the fight not really wanting to be there and then says that line it's much more appropriate to actually mean it - even if it means just pulling the backpack off Diamondback when he's out of juice. Why being out of juice makes Diamondback stagger around and turn his back I've no idea either. Some people have pointed out that if he did that he'd just be beating the machine and not the man, and putting aside that beating the machine/system has it's own rather positive connotations thematically in this show, I think that's actually something Luke would want since he never wanted to be in that fight in the first place, so he had no reason to care about beating Diamondback as a person so much as just being rid of the guy once and for all. If he wanted to beat Diamondback then physically beating him doesn't seem to do anything, so much as convincing Diamondback it's pointless in a verbal manner would. Which he failed to do in the fight as well. Which is presumably why we'll almost definitely have Diamondback for season two. Sadly. Luke might have thought beating him would finally end it, but Luke doesn't come off as someone that solves problems that way.

After checking up on Iron Fist yesterday and seeing the following summary in a few places I've got a new worry:

My new worry about Iron Fist is that the main thrust of his fight against crime and show will be fighting street crime in New York. Which I don't think suits Iron Fist even if we didn't already have Daredevil and Luke Cage doing the exact same thing. Given how wealthy his family is, his business connections and his mystical bent fighting corporate crime/white collar crime and/or mystic kung-fu poo poo like the Tournament of Heaven seems much more appropriate for him.

That said, there's already been casting for two children (Ward and Joy Meachum) of his Dad's old business partner that now run Rand Inc since his disappearance and would be about his age, so there's a good chance that teaser line is just a bit misleading and his focus will be more on corporate crime and cleaning up that kind of shady business than street crooks. Hopefully the ninja element will be less about swarms of mooks and more about a handful of well trained peers of Dannys that can stand toe to toe with him due to having something analogous to the Iron Fist themselves, like Fat Cobra and so on did.

It is very likely that Danny is going to be taking his family's company back from the Hand or a similar organization from one of the other Cities of Heaven, who control it much like they did Elektra's company in Daredevil. It's also pretty likely that Madam Gao and Davos are going to be central to Danny's conflict.

I'm really happy to see more Madam Gao.

Also I hope that Pop's Barbershop becomes the Thunder Dojo after Luke gets the place fixed up post Diamondback fight.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gyges posted:

It is very likely that Danny is going to be taking his family's company back from the Hand or a similar organization from one of the other Cities of Heaven, who control it much like they did Elektra's company in Daredevil. It's also pretty likely that Madam Gao and Davos are going to be central to Danny's conflict.

I'm really happy to see more Madam Gao.

Also I hope that Pop's Barbershop becomes the Thunder Dojo after Luke gets the place fixed up post Diamondback fight.

I was thinking more that Pop's Babershop is gonna become the office for Heroes for Hire. Luke and Danny hanging out there and people come to them if they need help.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Guy Goodbody posted:

They've been hinting at MODOK, right?

Sigourney Weaver's giant head floating in a chair is basically the end game of cinema.

Serf
May 5, 2011

If MODOK ever appears on live-action television or in an MCU movie I will get Rom the Spaceknight tattooed on my rear end.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Serf posted:

If MODOK ever appears on live-action television or in an MCU movie I will get Rom the Spaceknight tattooed on my rear end.

Like you don't already have that tat.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Serf posted:

You should probably put some more parameters on that considering Arnim Zola did appear.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Zythrst posted:

You should probably put some more parameters on that considering Arnim Zola did appear.

And AIM has been established.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, MODOK showing up as some dude in a spider robot or whatever is entirely possible.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Zythrst posted:

Yea, I'd say he should add a "...as a close approximation to his comic design, being a person with a huge head and tiny body in a special conveyance of some kind" to it at the least, since they could just do a guy in a 3 piece suit with some telekinesis called MODOK or something.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Serf posted:

Rom the Spaceknight

I unironically can't wait till the Rom: Spaceknight Netflix series :allears:

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

I'm 9 episodes in. Does Diamondback ever get better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jerusalem posted:

I unironically can't wait till the Rom: Spaceknight Netflix series :allears:

You know Marvel doesn't have the rights to him anymore, right?