Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Goddamn I miss AZ sometimes. Not a huge fan of Phoenix, but head north and as soon as you hit Oak Creek Canyon everything changes.

I've never ridden that road on a motorcycle. Really need to get out there someday. Maybe find a cool bike on the PHX craigslist and do a fly-and-ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I was up around Prescott earlier this year in the car. Beautiful area. Would have killed to be on a bike, except that it was 30F out. Also "saw" the Grand Canyon on that trip... sure was a nice bowl of fog and clouds. I bet there was a cool canyon down there somewhere.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Sagebrush posted:

Goddamn I miss AZ sometimes. Not a huge fan of Phoenix, but head north and as soon as you hit Oak Creek Canyon everything changes.

I've never ridden that road on a motorcycle. Really need to get out there someday. Maybe find a cool bike on the PHX craigslist and do a fly-and-ride.

Flagstaff is incredibly my jam.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Virgil Vox posted:

Northern Arizona fall colors!

Excellent.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Flagstaff is incredibly my jam.

I went to NAU for a while, and while it's nice I don't know how people live there unless they work in the service industry or for the uni.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

I went to NAU for a while, and while it's nice I don't know how people live there unless they work in the service industry or for the uni.

That's were I came from, would've loved to stay in Flag, but I guess these eastern AZ mountains will do :eng99:

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
Did you know you can just go buy a skeleton at costco for like $40

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet

mad.radhu posted:

This is exceedingly spooky: good work, sir and or madam

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Goes well with war rig decals. How'd you attach it, does it sit upright by itself? I might do the same

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

mad.radhu posted:

This is awesome.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

M42 posted:

Goes well with war rig decals. How'd you attach it, does it sit upright by itself? I might do the same

it poses fairly well, I attached it with velcro cable wraps and zip ties. Zip ties work for anything. Just finished my first commute with it, had a lady mouthing 'what the gently caress', a bunch of kids waving, and cell phone pictures being taken. Money well spent.

edit: They're on amazon too if you don't have a costco card https://www.amazon.com/Crazy-Bonez-18724-Pose-N-Stay-Skeleton/dp/B0070ABLHO

mad.radhu fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Oct 6, 2016

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Amazing!

Can you reach all the controls from the pillion seat? Is it possible to make it look like the skeleton is riding and you're pillion?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

That''s great. No way I'd get on that decoration level. Mostly because I don't like skeletons. Your bike looks so good in white/black, too.

--------------------------------------------

I’ve had a full week on the KTM 690 SMC, including a mountain run day, so clearly I feel like my opinions on the bike are well formed and worth your time. Just look at the pictures and skip the words if you want.
First impressions:
They say never meet your heroes, because you’ll only be disappointed. After years of the 690 SMC holding an unshakeable position in my dream bike trifecta (WR250x, 690SMC, SD1290), and coming directly off of a full bolt WR250x, this saying held true by half. You see, the WR250x was refined, from the smooth and predictable throttle, to the comfortable seat, to the supple performance tones projected by the FMF system. It really was a departure from the tractor like enduros I’d experienced in the DRZ/KLR/TW/Tornado.

As the WRx was like a bag of kittens, I always envisioned the midsized KTM as just a bigger bag of kittens. Instead, KTM took that bag of kittens, topped it off with hammers, and tossed it in a clothes dryer. Then, they filled a larger bag with angry, feral, tomcats, and handed to you with the knowledge that you would learn to live with it.

First ride on the KTM 690 was the polar opposite from what I expected. It had more in common with a modded up DR650 than a refined Yamaha. The engine had notes of sewing machine, the “ktm bend” on the bars felt like a torture device, the suspension didn’t seem like it could damp enough to be comfortable, throttle was so unruly and snatchy that it felt broken (it was), and the angular looks seemed slightly off putting.

But it wheelied. Oh, did it wheelie. As if to promise better things with time, it lifted the front on my test rides with easy confidence, and proved competent in the mundane requirements. I’m not so much of a fool to ignore what bike was in front of me, and decided to see what it was like to live with such a tempestuous beast.

The first crisp fall ride of the year

Turns out, it’s quite easy. As if I passed it’s hazing ritual, the 690 tamed right down quickly into ownership. A quick throttle calibration smoothed 1st and 2nd gear throttle 70%, and a o2 sensor bypass plug is on the way to hopefully clear up the rest. I love how quiet it is with the stock exhaust. I’ve adapted to the ergos, and it fits like a glove. It’s a bike that is there for you when you are feeling good and want to throw it around, and also there for you when you just need to get to your destination with as little fuss as possible.

The suspension never ceases to amaze me. I thought the WR250x suspension was fantastic, and it was. However, despite having “stiffer” suspension, this soaks up bumps and curbs with more comfort and aplomb than any bike I’ve ridden. In the mountains it proved completely composed in the corners, too. I’ve never gotten to the top of the runs that quickly, in any vehicle, and I felt like I was holding back. All day was like this, with me feeling like I was barely pushing the bike, and yet absolutely rocketing through the corners.

One of these is not like the others…

One of my track rat friends admitted that the saddest thing for her was that a 250cc sumo was faster in the mountains than her 675 Daytona, after riding with me a few months ago. Now, at the helm of a 690 on PR3’s, it wasn’t even a question. I’m not even a skilled rider, and cannot imagine how quick this could move in the right hands.

One of these does not belong.

The only real downsides for me on the bike are a lack of rear subframe, so I can’t really use it as a grocery getter yet. I see people with the little tail racks pushing the 15lb weight limits by a lot, so I might want to test that out. It just makes the bike far less practical for the moment. The blistering hot exhaust is a real problem, too, and I’m going to install a Wings. Such a shame, because I really like the look of the stock exhaust.
That said, the practicality I get from a bigger gas tank, and more power everywhere, makes up for the little issues I have with the bike. I think, with a little windscreen, and a proper luggage solution, the 690 would make an excellent tourer.

Fitting a tool tube was a great idea. It holds a stripped down, yet comprehensive, set of tools for tire/bike repair, and actually helped me fix someone elses bike on the trip. My extra layers rok strapped nicely to the bars, and didn’t get in the way of my gauges.

I LOVE THIS BIEK SO MUCH, YA'LL.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Coydog posted:

That''s great. No way I'd get on that decoration level. Mostly because I don't like skeletons.

Got bad news for you bud, there's one inside you just waiting for it's chance to get out! The time you will ever escape it is in death.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

the little rear end in a top hat that can wheelie

back to S for a few weeks.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

cursedshitbox posted:

the little rear end in a top hat that can wheelie

back to S for a few weeks.

That looks like a fun place to have a dirt bike!

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

mad.radhu posted:

it poses fairly well, I attached it with velcro cable wraps and zip ties. Zip ties work for anything. Just finished my first commute with it, had a lady mouthing 'what the gently caress', a bunch of kids waving, and cell phone pictures being taken. Money well spent.

edit: They're on amazon too if you don't have a costco card https://www.amazon.com/Crazy-Bonez-18724-Pose-N-Stay-Skeleton/dp/B0070ABLHO

What do the arms attach to when you're riding?

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

MomJeans420 posted:

What do the arms attach to when you're riding?

Tied around my waist via velcro cable ties.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yaaay!

:saddowns:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Well gently caress, that doesn't look like something a little jb weld can fix.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Slim Pickens posted:

Well gently caress, that doesn't look like something a little jb weld can fix.

I'm hoping it's something a magician with a welder can fix, I've wanted a 250 enduro for a while and it was hilariously cheap because of the issue.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sherpas are cool please fix that lil bike :ohdear:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Where / what is that for?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
looks like the oil pan. that was the drain plug

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That's what I thought, but it would be a strange design choice.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
Why couldn't you retap then weld in a piece of threaded pipe that was only a little past flush and then find a plug or cap for that piece? I mean it's not oem or anything but if the price was right.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if that can even be easily repaired without splitting the cases, and at that point you might as well get a new one.

I've seen a guy use quiksteel and steel tubing to successfully repair part of a busted engine mount, but that doesn't hold oil or require the same type of torque.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Fill it with booger welds and never change the oil again

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
id split cases, fill it in with weld, drill and tap a new bolt accordingly.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Drill a hole in the top of the engine and connect the two holes with a rubber hose.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

mad.radhu posted:

Tied around my waist via velcro cable ties.

I just ordered one from Amazon, but it won't arrive until Friday at the earliest. My wife thought that wasn't enough time to make it worthwhile, but I think it will just become a permanent addition to my bike.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

PaintVagrant posted:

Fill it with booger welds and turn the bike upside down to drain the oil.

fix'd

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It's cast and it's held oil, it's going to suck to weld.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

MomJeans420 posted:

I just ordered one from Amazon, but it won't arrive until Friday at the earliest. My wife thought that wasn't enough time to make it worthwhile, but I think it will just become a permanent addition to my bike.

the good news is there's a whole halloween again next year

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

mad.radhu posted:

the good news is there's a whole halloween again next year

gently caress that noise, year round skeletons. Glue a fake parrot to the front of the bike.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Sherpas are cool please fix that lil bike :ohdear:

I intend to!

kenny powerzzz posted:

Why couldn't you retap then weld in a piece of threaded pipe that was only a little past flush and then find a plug or cap for that piece? I mean it's not oem or anything but if the price was right.

This is probably what I'll end up doing because

BlackMK4 posted:

It's cast and it's held oil, it's going to suck to weld.

Bonus points: this is the result of someone over-tightening the original plug, then helicoiling the hole and overtightening again so the remaining thread isn't even the original one that used to be on there.

I'm hoping I can fix it without stripping the cases but if worst comes to worst that's what I'll have to do.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Slavvy posted:

I'm hoping I can fix it without stripping the cases but if worst comes to worst that's what I'll have to do.

I think this will be easier than you fear. Also worth the effort to open it up just to see if there are any bits of thread or helicoil in there. Welding a suitably dimensioned bit of pipe in there sounds like a good plan.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Reenact the scene from Ghost but with JBWeld instead of clay. You got this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ola posted:

I think this will be easier than you fear. Also worth the effort to open it up just to see if there are any bits of thread or helicoil in there. Welding a suitably dimensioned bit of pipe in there sounds like a good plan.

After I pulled the engine out I realised there was a tiny cover for accessing the shift star and rod. Pulled that off and now it looks very straightforward. Goes to the engine shop today and I'll see what they say.

Gorson posted:

Reenact the scene from Ghost but with JBWeld instead of clay. You got this!

This is my plan B if the shop want too much, I'll seal it up completely then drill and tap a hole.