Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Equilibrium posted:

Ponder and Preordain were perfectly fine in standard, though. Ponder saw barely any play from Lorwyn->Scars block, and only really became a thing with Delver and Snapcaster in Innistrad, for obvious reasons.

Was Ponder not a thing in Faeries?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Equilibrium posted:

Ponder and Preordain were perfectly fine in standard, though. Ponder saw barely any play from Lorwyn->Scars block, and only really became a thing with Delver and Snapcaster in Innistrad, for obvious reasons.

Ponder saw a ton of play in Caw Blade standard because that format had fetches

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Ponder saw a ton of play in Caw Blade standard because that format had fetches

It also had JtMS and a lack of meaningful alternatives for turn 1.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

TwistedNails posted:

I had this happen a few weeks ago and I had to uninstall, fully remove saved settings then reinstall. It fixed the problem.

https://wizards.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2269

I tried that the last time this bug came up a month ago. It did nothing to solve the problem then, and I can't be bothered to do that again. Fortunately opening them up on my laptop, with only one screen, worked fine.

Instead of winning 150 playpoints and 2 packs for a 5-0, I won 165 playpoints and cards worth ~3 tickets. Thanks for the increased variance, WotC.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Trip report!

So I just went undefeated at FNM with the U/G Marvel deck. It really needs a cool name, but I already got interviewed by the Walking the Planes necromancer so honestly that ship has kinda sailed.

Tremendously fun deck! My version had a lot more puzzleknots than most posted here because I couldn't scrounge up all the cards I needed, but even the woodworker's puzzleknots seemed like good draws compared to what they would have been, Servents of the Conduit. I can't imagine one of those 2/2s blocking more than 6 damage, and the deck had stone cold no mana problems ever, with all the scry at 2 mana. Also my version had all three Eldrazi gods in it (kinda the charm point of the deck, as far as I'm concerned) and a Decimator of the Provinces that I'll probably replace with an Aethersquall Ancient. It might be strictly worse than stacking straight Emerkuls and Gearhulks, but hey, a bunch of different big dumb things just sings to me.

Round 1 was against someone playing four color gearhulks... he'd pitch gearhulks into the graveyard using red card draw, and then cast them with Refurbish. He tossed down a cataclysmic gearhulk in the first game, I was at full health and had two chump blockers, so I told him to just flip the top three cards and deal their CMC in damage to me. Whups, that was fourteen to the face. Managed to clear out his board with Emrakul, which died to a Noxious Gearhulk. Ulamog and Kozilek came out next to sweep up. Boarded in a ton of Appetite for the Unnatural and Negates to keep him from killing me with gearhulks, and so when he swapped in Lost Legacy to kill all of my Marvels, I kept the game going pretty uneventfully for about eight turns. Also when Lost Legacy hit my marvels I drew over the hand limit, letting me discard a land. This was the last card type I needed to eventually cast Emrakul raw, which pretty much wrapped that up. I lived long enough through turns of being attacked by the little 2/2 fox artifact and some lifelink land nonsense because a pair of Woodworker's Puzzleknots let me take over twenty damage without ever being in danger.

Fun fact; Lost Legacy can't hit Aetherworks Marvel! That game could have been a lot shorter.

Round 2 was against the mirror. Both games my opponent got his Aetherworks Marvel out first--game one I blew out his Verdurous Gearhulk with Ulamog. I accidentally boarded in four dispels instead of four negates, so I couldn't counter his Marvel, but he boarded in a ton of counters himself and the dispel let me land my own marvel when he had mana out. He landed an Emrakul, made me cast Marvel from my hand, and then he spent all my energy firing it and sending all six cards to the bottom of the deck. Fortunately U/G Marvel never has any trouble generating energy, so next turn I just refilled, landed a Ulamog, destroyed his marvel and his Emrakul, and spent the next three turns milling his entire deck.

Had he hit any of my Appetite for the Unnaturals when he stole my turn, or even an Ulamog, blowing out my Marvel would have been pretty much GG.

Round 3 was against R/U Aetherflux Reservoir. He was at 2-0 storming out by playing out Foundry Inspectors and some goofy U/R Eldrazi to make all artifact and colorless spells cheaper, and then casting free puzzleknots and Prophetic Prisms for card draw and scry. Combined with Cathartic Reunion he'd storm out, hit a hundred life, and blow people to flaming chunks. Really, really fun deck--but in game one he couldn't gain life faster than I could gain energy, and in game two I just boarded in the Appetite for the Unnatural cards and knocked out the Resovoirs. In the second game he hit 41 life, but he never got the prism he needed to generate the black mana that none of the lands in his deck made, so he couldn't draw off of the Metalspinner's Puzzleknots.

Round 4 I drew for time concerns, but I got a game in against a W/R/B deck that was just running all the legendary creatures and planeswalkers from the last four sets. It was obnoxious and really strong--all my energy generating chumps like my turtles and cranes became liabilities when they would just get killed by the planeswalkers and join his vampire army. We cut the game short on the turn I finally drew the marvel I'd been digging for--it would have spat out an Emrakul, which would have taken care of.... some of his enormous board of critters. Things weren't looking good for me, but only because I'd gone through thirty cards of my deck without hitting a Marvel, and once I had, it helped a lot.

All in all, God-In-The-Box is a good deck and you can load any stupid huge monster into it that you want to.

e: Everyone loves pictures!

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Oct 8, 2016

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Anyone understand what the deal is with stages in the MTGO prerelease leagues? I've 3-0'ed a couple drafts and I'm seeing 2 "trophies" and the tooltip indicates something about stages.

Salvor_Hardin fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Oct 8, 2016

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Allstone posted:

I think the reason they give is that most players just starting out get bored if each game plays the same, so that's why introductory products have such variance and split game plans. My guess is that better draw and selection improves consistency and reduces variance, which might bore some newer players?

All I remember is that brainstorm, bill, professor oak, and pot of greed were the favorite cards of my friends and mine when we first started out in each respective game. Having a handful of cards that let you do poo poo is extremely fun for newbies despite some of them coming down with analysis paralysis because of it.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Mystic Mongol posted:

Trip report!

So I just went undefeated at FNM with the U/G Marvel deck. It really needs a cool name, but I already got interviewed by the Walking the Planes necromancer so honestly that ship has kinda sailed.

Tremendously fun deck! My version had a lot more puzzleknots than most posted here because I couldn't scrounge up all the cards I needed, but even the woodworker's puzzleknots seemed like good draws compared to what they would have been, Servents of the Conduit. I can't imagine one of those 2/2s blocking more than 6 damage, and the deck had stone cold no mana problems ever, with all the scry at 2 mana. Also my version had all three Eldrazi gods in it (kinda the charm point of the deck, as far as I'm concerned) and a Decimator of the Provinces that I'll probably replace with an Aethersquall Ancient. It might be strictly worse than stacking straight Emerkuls and Gearhulks, but hey, a bunch of different big dumb things just sings to me.

Round 1 was against someone playing four color gearhulks... he'd pitch gearhulks into the graveyard using red card draw, and then cast them with Refurbish. He tossed down a cataclysmic gearhulk in the first game, I was at full health and had two chump blockers, so I told him to just flip the top three cards and deal their CMC in damage to me. Whups, that was fourteen to the face. Managed to clear out his board with Emrakul, which died to a Noxious Gearhulk. Ulamog and Kozilek came out next to sweep up. Boarded in a ton of Appetite for the Unnatural and Negates to keep him from killing me with gearhulks, and so when he swapped in Lost Legacy to kill all of my Marvels, I kept the game going pretty uneventfully for about eight turns. Also when Lost Legacy hit my marvels I drew over the hand limit, letting me discard a land. This was the last card type I needed to eventually cast Emrakul raw, which pretty much wrapped that up. I lived long enough through turns of being attacked by the little 2/2 fox artifact and some lifelink land nonsense because a pair of Woodworker's Puzzleknots let me take over twenty damage without ever being in danger.

Fun fact; Lost Legacy can't hit Aetherworks Marvel! That game could have been a lot shorter.

Round 2 was against the mirror. Both games my opponent got his Aetherworks Marvel out first--game one I blew out his Verdurous Gearhulk with Ulamog. I accidentally boarded in four dispels instead of four negates, so I couldn't counter his Marvel, but he boarded in a ton of counters himself and the dispel let me land my own marvel when he had mana out. He landed an Emrakul, made me cast Marvel from my hand, and then he spent all my energy firing it and sending all six cards to the bottom of the deck. Fortunately U/G Marvel never has any trouble generating energy, so next turn I just refilled, landed a Ulamog, destroyed his marvel and his Emrakul, and spent the next three turns milling his entire deck.

Had he hit any of my Appetite for the Unnaturals when he stole my turn, or even an Ulamog, blowing out my Marvel would have been pretty much GG.

Round 3 was against R/U Aetherflux Reservoir. He was at 2-0 storming out by playing out Foundry Inspectors and some goofy U/R Eldrazi to make all artifact and colorless spells cheaper, and then casting free puzzleknots and Prophetic Prisms for card draw and scry. Combined with Cathartic Reunion he'd storm out, hit a hundred life, and blow people to flaming chunks. Really, really fun deck--but in game one he couldn't gain life faster than I could gain energy, and in game two I just boarded in the Appetite for the Unnatural cards and knocked out the Resovoirs. In the second game he hit 41 life, but he never got the prism he needed to generate the black mana that none of the lands in his deck made, so he couldn't draw off of the Metalspinner's Puzzleknots.

Round 4 I drew for time concerns, but I got a game in against a W/R/B deck that was just running all the legendary creatures and planeswalkers from the last four sets. It was obnoxious and really strong--all my energy generating chumps like my turtles and cranes became liabilities when they would just get killed by the planeswalkers and join his vampire army. We cut the game short on the turn I finally drew the marvel I'd been digging for--it would have spat out an Emrakul, which would have taken care of.... some of his enormous board of critters. Things weren't looking good for me, but only because I'd gone through thirty cards of my deck without hitting a Marvel, and once I had, it helped a lot.

All in all, God-In-The-Box is a good deck and you can load any stupid huge monster into it that you want to.

e: Everyone loves pictures!

You go to Redcaps you luck sack.

E: as content, I had pretty bad draws but I also made a ton of play mistakes, so standard for a new deck. I have to believe this is a poor deck to take to a major tournament, since there are going to be games where you cannot find your marvel to save your life, and you're probably gonna lose at least one match over it.

Confiscation Coup blows control decks out of the loving water. Just snagging their Kalitas or Avacyn is loving huge. I want to see if I can work some vessels for more dig into it or even :barf: contingency plan.

It's between this and Madness vampires for regionals.

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Oct 8, 2016

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Anyone understand what the deal is with stages in the MTGO prerelease leagues? I've 3-0'ed a couple drafts and I'm seeing 2 "trophies" and the tooltip indicates something about stages.
Trophies are just how many leagues you've 3-0'd.
Stages aren't relevant here, they're only in the friendly sealed leagues (post-prerelease), where you can add a pack after your first matches.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

TheKingofSprings posted:

Was Ponder not a thing in Faeries?

It would show up in some variants but it was never in the best decks.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007
Whoever recommended the monster card storage box : thanks. It has been very needs suiting.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I want to keep playing (standard) but it's getting to the point where I can't really justify the cost of any of the planes walkers, so I need to build something on the cheap.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

vandalism posted:

I want to keep playing (standard) but it's getting to the point where I can't really justify the cost of any of the planes walkers, so I need to build something on the cheap.

Standard is maybe the worst format to play if you want to on the cheap. Almost every other format available is better than standard in this regard and its sad. You also get to play with your deck you put together longer than 90 days.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

vandalism posted:

Build a cheap Modern deck and never have to worry about rotation again.

Seriously, after my second rotation I just can't be asked to rebuild again and holy hell am I not buying $20 format staples that will be in a dollar binder in a year.

EDIT: if you do a two-color deck it's also pretty easy to budget out the mana base which cuts the cost of the format roughly in half.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 8, 2016

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

neonbregna posted:

Whoever recommended the monster card storage box : thanks. It has been very needs suiting.

I bought the double box. And it's awesome.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

neonbregna posted:

I think that was me and you are welcome. Those boxes come in all sizes and without a doubt the best storage for the $$$.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Sickening posted:

You also get to play with your deck you put together longer than 90 days.

:agreed: Last time I bothered with Standard was THS-KTK when I built the $50 Heroic Red deck, and even then I could count the number of events I got to play with it on one hand. I can't imagine even spending $100 on a deck and only being able to play in four or five events before needing to build something else.

I like that Standard lets you play with the newest cards but as an overworked grown-up I just don't have the energy to keep up with it. I should draft more so I can actually play with the new cards getting released but I'm a terrible Limited player (yes I know I could fix that by playing more Limited events :v:)

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

C-Euro posted:

:agreed: Last time I bothered with Standard was THS-KTK when I built the $50 Heroic Red deck, and even then I could count the number of events I got to play with it on one hand. I can't imagine even spending $100 on a deck and only being able to play in four or five events before needing to build something else.

I like that Standard lets you play with the newest cards but as an overworked grown-up I just don't have the energy to keep up with it. I should draft more so I can actually play with the new cards getting released but I'm a terrible Limited player (yes I know I could fix that by playing more Limited events :v:)

you and me both pal. Maybe I ought to start a "responsible adults that still haven't stopped playing this dumb game" draft league in my area. We can draft once every set when everyone's schedules actually work out.

Recess Rapist
Jul 4, 2004
I no longer whack; I use a driptorch.

Molybdenum posted:

you and me both pal. Maybe I ought to start a "responsible adults that still haven't stopped playing this dumb game" draft league in my area. We can draft once every set when everyone's schedules actually work out.

No one's schedules ever work out and you'll end up inviting about 18 people to your house before you secure a pod of 8 drafters. One will show up very early, two very late, three won't know any of the cards or mechanics, one has to leave early, and one will be you repeatedly answering questions about rare redrafting. It's about as enjoyable as when it happens in the thread.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
The bad thing about Wizard's current orientation IMHO is that it's harder to feel good about winning with a midrange, creature-based (preferably green) deck against a field of LD, hard control/permission, and combo. Maybe I'm just showing my age as a player who started in Tempest/Urza Standard though... RIP Jamie Wakefield

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

So I'm 8-1 at Grand Prix Atlanta. Skysovereign is a messed up magic card. Every game I played that card immediately became an unloseable farce. The only game that came close was the one where I was at 3 and my opponent was at 20 - I played Skysovereign, and three turns later my opponent casts Combustible Gearhulk and draws three and then dies.

It probably shouldn't only crew for 3.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Hellsau posted:

That would push it out of constructed viability.

Also, congratulations.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Hellsau posted:

So I'm 8-1 at Grand Prix Atlanta. Skysovereign is a messed up magic card. Every game I played that card immediately became an unloseable farce. The only game that came close was the one where I was at 3 and my opponent was at 20 - I played Skysovereign, and three turns later my opponent casts Combustible Gearhulk and draws three and then dies.

The real tragedy is that I can't have it be at the helm of a commander list for the same reasons Elbrus isn't allowed.

Recess Rapist
Jul 4, 2004
I no longer whack; I use a driptorch.
I'm a poo poo MODO player and nothing stings worse than losing your 3-0 match to the loving clock on your main phase with lethal attack ready. Vehicles take time to crew, man.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Hellsau posted:

Nice! Did you get a feature match?

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Hellsau posted:

Grats dude.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

When the gently caress did this happen.

What the gently caress?

Edit: I thought Abzan Company went down in popularity due to Kleetus existing.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Hellsau posted:

Good luck tomorrow.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Elyv posted:

Nice! Did you get a feature match?

Naw, I ate my loss in round four. I'll just open up a Skysoverign in my draft, 3-0, and then get the feature match where I draft badly, play badly and lose badly win anyway because there is no justice in this world.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Count Bleck posted:

When the gently caress did this happen.

What the gently caress?

Edit: I thought Abzan Company went down in popularity due to Kleetus existing.

Well, infect, eldrazi, and some builds of BGx also use Hierarch and those are three of the most popular archetypes.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Elyv posted:

Well, infect, eldrazi, and some builds of BGx also use Hierarch and those are three of the most popular archetypes.

This is all true.

Now explain this one.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Count Bleck posted:

This is all true.

Now explain this one.

It's a combo with madcap experiment.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

sarmhan posted:

It's a combo with madcap experiment.

Oh get the actual gently caress out.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Make sure you are using F2 to hit "Ok" after you crew so that you don't have to waste time moving your mouse over to it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

It's true, storm actually sideboards it now

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

TheKingofSprings posted:

It's true, storm actually sideboards it now

I've been away from Modern for like 3 months and all of a sudden Storm actually plays creatures that aren't goblins.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Count Bleck posted:

Peep that spicy sideboard.

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=108138

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Count Bleck posted:

I've been away from Modern for like 3 months and all of a sudden Storm actually plays creatures that aren't goblins.

http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/storm-at-the-wmcq/

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Hellsau posted:

Awesome, good luck on day 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Good luck day 2 hellsau. I would have been there but I had to go with my wife somewhere so I ended up canceling. Keep opening sky sovereign

• Locked thread