Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
LPix seems to have decided to poo poo a brick and not let me see this last batch of pictures. They load just fine when I use the URL, but won't appear in my gallery. Inconvenient, that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

The Delirium Lava Ruins

I strongly question the translation team regarding the name of this dungeon. This is a system of caves. It is not, in any way, shape, or form, ruins of anything.

The Lava part, however, is very accurate. There’s lots of lava, and sometimes convection exists. There are rooms where I will take constant ticking fire damage (I left my Varia Suit in my other pants, you see). And other rooms where that doesn’t happen, seemingly at random.

My party is not leveled as much as I would have liked, but we’re sufficient for bullrushing through this place. I might have missed a few treasures, maybe I’ll come back for them later.

I did get a moderately useful Light Barrier spell. This puts a couple balls of light directly in front of you that damage anything that touches them. It’s most useful when combined with a melee build, you cast the spell and then charge at something, hitting them with your weapon and the spell.

And the next rank of healing spell. Cure All heals for more than Cure and has a larger area of effect. I believe this is the healing spell most often used by villagers.

Also note the fire-type gate. All the monster gates here are fire elemental, for obvious reasons. Not all of the monsters are fire-based, but they’re common enough.

One of these goblins is a Goblin Gangster, the other is a Goblin Pirate. Gangsters throw knives, pirates do not. Both can do significant damage when a group of them jumps on you.

I’m not really stopping to fight things that aren’t required to bring down barriers, and my partners are getting beat on a little.

Sometimes I do have to stop and fight. Note the barely visible orange Fire Spirit in the orange haze of this room. Fire elemental enemies, obviously healed by fire, regenerate health in these heat damage rooms.

Welp. Clearly I need to fight the boss. Can’t skip that.

Really? I thought I’d jump into it’s mouth and practice my soft-shoe routine, but as you wish.

Quite right.

Rafflesia is a right pain in the rear end. It’s made up of four parts (the main body, and bits left, right, and front), and spams status effects while being healed by one of the bits.

I think this was all of 30 seconds in. I’m silenced, Forte was poisoned and is now dead. I gave Margaret a shield I tricked out for high status resistances, or else she’d be nearly useless here.

I think we all know what that center bit looks like and nothing needs to be said about it. This is a classy LP.

VAGINA VAGINA VAGINA VAGINA VAGINA

The trick to this fight is to stand on the right, kill the right side bit (which does the healing), and from there slaughter the giant plant, killing the insects it spawns and the occasionally respawning right-side bit.

It’s a very beefy monster. This boss is not tameable, presumably because it’s stationary.

I should really have been posting these maps for the previous dungeons. Yokmir Cave was the first multi-level dungeon, but it was pretty straightforward. So was this one really. Future dungeons will get a little more twisted.

I think the implication here is that Rafflesia was created by the Rune Sphere. The green thing is just a stem one of the bits dropped, it’s a mediocre upgrade item.

Ahoy? Does this look like the loving ocean to you?

I think Art might have heat stroke.

If I just take this to Obsidian Mansion…!

Finish your drat sentences. People use ellipses far too often in this game.

Hurry up!

That’s three! Technically, if each Rune Sphere works exactly like a Guardian, Ventuswill should be just as strong now as she was before I started punching monsters into humanity.

And then Pico showed up.

"Venti woke up!"

She did?!

"Uh-huh! Though she's still a little... woozy."

The Rune Spheres...I guess it's actually working!

"I wanted to let you know as soon as possible. But it took me forever to find you! Now come on, let's hurry back to Ven's place!"

I guess it does make sense to send Pico as a messenger in situations like this.

Except… wasn’t it a plot point a while back that Pico can’t leave town while Dolce is there? How odd.

Venti...thank goodness...

Venti will keep, I was already here anyway so I figured I’d get another 20 prince points.

Doug beat me here, despite the fact that he was supposed to be trying to beat me to the Rune Sphere. Such a useless sack of crap.

Prepare for another one of those infodump cutscenes.

Doug? What's going on...? Doug?!

...Ventuswill, answer my question...

Doug, calm down!!

Art. Step back.

But...

Doug has something to say to me. Please allow him to plead his case.

Doug, explain to me what you're talking about, if you would.

Why... Why did you kill my parents-- my whole tribe?!

...Doug... I have no idea what you're talking about.

Not gonna lie, I could totally see her lying about this. I’m sure she would have a very good reason for doing it, but I can totally see Ventuswill wrecking a town.

Of course, I have a very low opinion of Native Dragons. Having encountered three of them in previous games, I had to fight all three, and two of them were colossal assholes.

Don't act all innocent! You did it! I know you did!

On the other hand, Doug has absolutely zero evidence to go on. His argument consists of “You did it cause I said so!”

...Listen to me. I honestly have no idea what you're talking about.

You...!! ...I know everything. You're acting all big and selfless to fool everyone in town, right?! Well, I don't believe a word of it! Do you realize how much danger your lies are causing?! Causing good people like Art?!

It’s good that he understands that I’m a better person than he is. The little people should respect their natural superiors.

…Wow, that was more racist that intended.

I’m not apologizing.

...!

You call it "friendship"... But all you've ever wanted to do is use people for your own selfish ends!

It’s a fair point, Venti has been using me a lot. Farm labor, exploration, punching monsters into humans.

Doug!!

That's who Ventuswill really is. That's what...I was told...

Oh. Well. As long as your information came from a reliable source like THE loving EMPIRE OF EVIL!

This is why I poo poo on Doug all the time. Because he’s a moron.

I see... So what is it you want to do, then?

...What do you...mean?

According to the Sechs, I'm your enemy. If so, you should've just attacked me, right? But you didn't. Because you're still uncertain.

Technically, it’s because you’re an all-powerful Dragon God King and he’s pissing himself in terror. He can’t be expected to fight a native dragon, he doesn’t even have amnesia!

...! That's...not...

That's why I'm asking. Do you believe what you heard from the Sechs Empire? Will you use that sword to kill me and take your revenge? Or... Will you believe me, and sheathe your blade?

Venti is suspiciously good at talking people out of trying to kill her. This isn’t her first rodeo.

What do you want to do? What do you think is the right thing to do? You're the one who has to decide.

I...I... ... I have one question. Is it true, what you said to Art?...that you "can't leave Selphia"...?

It's true... I can't leave Selphia.

I call bullshit, but we’ll come back to that later.

...Oh, man...

At Sechs, they convinced me that she killed them...

They even pinkie swore!

...but now, she's saying she can't leave the town... So who's lying to me?

Probably not the bad guys. They’re obviously 100% truthful.

Doug...

Another meaningless choice, as both lead to the same result.

But... ...it's hard to believe that Venti's a murderer.

No, I still have no trouble believing it.

Who cares about your opinion?! You're going to take her side no matter what!

This is also true.

See?

But I don't believe it. I don't think Venti's the one responsible for what you described. You heard her speak of the Guardians. After hearing all that, can you still doubt her? Isn't that why you came to see for yourself? And held your blade all this time?

Venti tried to help a total stranger like me. She cheered me up when I was suffering and unable to remember anything about my past. Even though the Earthmates are the cause of her agony... And even when the fact that I am one was rubbed right up in her face... ...she still called me... ...a friend.

This is a pretty heartwarming speech.

Art...

That's why...

Because she's my friend.

... ...Dammit.

This is a Rune Sphere...

Holy poo poo, he actually found one?

... I honestly don't know... What's right and what's wrong... My head is completely messed up right now... I still don't really believe that she wasn't the one... But at the same time, I don't think it's all a lie. I can't believe both, though. That's why I don't trust myself. I don't know what right thing is to do.

But you, Art... You've been trying to help everyone all this time.

Yeah, sure, let’s go with that.

I don't have any trouble... believing you.

Doug...

Okay, I’m willing to admit, this scene is enough to make me ship Doug with the female player character. Not enough to actually marry him in game, because Arthur is a legitimately better person and Leon entertains me.

Doug...thank you.

I-it's not for you.

Baka dragon! It’s not like he likes you or anything!

Exeunt, pursued by his own inner demons.

The Sechs...are cruel to play with people's lives...

Venti...what kind of place is the Sechs Empire?

Oh, that's right. You wouldn't know... They're a huge empire bordering Norad. That terrifying land, the Sechs Empire. They've invaded us in the past, so I say with complete certainty that they're a force to be reckoned with.

This reminds me that I’ve been meaning to do an info-post describing the events of the previous games. Or at least RF1, 2, and 3, I never got around to beating Frontier or Oceans. And neither of them factors into this game, whereas pretty much the rest of this act will rely on plot references. I gave some details on the dragons earlier, but some of the upcoming stuff might be a little obtuse without some details.

The Sechs Empire...

Now, what did Doug give you?

This stone. It's called a Rune Sphere.

It holds a tremendous power. I wonder how many runes are stored in that small stone...

The game will never explain where these objects capable of sustaining a god’s life came from. We know the king sent Art to Selphia to bring them to Venti, but not if somebody in the capital found them or made them or what.

There are four stones, and 4 main series protagonists (RF2 had two protagonists over two generations), maybe

If we place these where the Guardians were found, those areas will fill with runes.

You mean the Rune Spots? Hmm...so they can take the place of the Guardians? That explains why I got some of my power back. But I had no idea such things existed...

Me neither. I was pretty surprised.

Art, you came into this story knowing nothing but your own name.

...Where did you get it, exactly?

I found it in Yokmir Forest. I was chasing after a Chipsqueek.

A Chipsqueek?

Oh, I almost forgot! That Chipsqueek asked me to tell you something. At least, I think it was the Chipsqueek...

Oh?

... What does...that mean...?

It means you're not alone. ...Right?

...! ...I see.

Hey, Venti?

Hmm?

I'm going to the tower.

Art...

With the Rune Spheres, I can release the Guardians and save you. That's why...I have to go. I can't lose you, Venti.

Technically, with three Rune Spheres and a Guardian, isn’t she already saved? At this point you’re just saving Leon.

Art... Hee hee. You're quite the big talker! But it is rather encouraging, I can't deny. I knew you were the right choice.

Hee hee. I do have a keen eye. It's quite odd, though... ...for you to find something like a Rune Sphere around here... It makes no sense. Why was it... just lying around? It's truly...astounding, honestly. Thank you, Art. I'm proud to count you as a friend.

Venti...

Art. Let me ask you once again. I want you to save Leon. Will you release him? Will you release the last Guardian?

Yes, but covered in what?

Uhh...maple syrup, maybe?

...This is supposed to be a touching scene, you know.

drat it, I just finished making payments on that fourth wall!

...Don't worry. Since I'm the only one who can do it, how can I say no? I will succeed.
I promise, Venti. I promise that I'll save you. So don't worry. Get some rest.

All right. Good luck...Art. I...I'm going to rest a bit...

... Just wait a little longer, Venti.

All of a sudden, a crowd of people!

drat it, if Forte had said “Lady Ventuswill!” as well, I would have had a setup for a barbershop quartet joke.

She's resting again, for the moment.

Oh, my...!

I see...

How is she? Is she...all right?

Well... ...I can't say anything for sure yet, but she seems to be feeling better.

Ohhh...! Lady Ventuswill!!!

I'm heading to the tower now. So I'll leave Venti...to you all.

Tower? You mean Leon Karnak? I seem to recall...that it's quite impossible to get inside. It's completely sealed off.

I know that, because I popped in to see it, but there is no possible way for you to know about that Arthur.

Huh...? WHAAAAAT?!

Your Majesty! You're being disruptive!!

So are you, Volkanon!

Since everyone's waiting, let's go outside.

Okay...

Uh, hey... Why...is everybody here...?

We all heard that Lady Ventuswill has woken up, so we rushed over.

You're not the only one worried about her, yes?

...You're right.

So, Art. About Leon Karnak…

You were saying it's sealed off?!

A while ago, a mysterious gate appeared there. The gate has grown so large, it's shrouded the whole tower. And within it, the air is... ...well, the royal capital warns not to go near it, as it's become extremely dangerous.

What...?

Why are you going there, exactly?

To help Venti. By placing—

It's a Rune Sphere. If I take this to the tower, I should be able to save Venti. This stone will take the place of a Guardian and... uhhh...

Why are you hesitating? We need to know this.

You really don’t. Terrable knows you people have been useless as anything besides meatshields and healslaves for me.

I-it's just that...

I'm curious. How, exactly, would that stone save the dragon? You said it would take the place of a Guardian, but...what does that mean?

W-well... ... ...I can't explain everything in detail yet... But I need you all to trust me.

...Without question.

Huh?

How can we not trust you, when we're asked to do so?

It's part of a butler's duty to trust his master!

I've only ever heard honesty in your voice.

Let's all figure out a way to solve this!

Yeah! We want to help you!

...Thank you...

If the story about the gate is true... does that mean that the tower beyond it is the Forest of Beginnings?

Yes, that's what the researchers at the capital had concluded. It seems the inside of the tower has virtually fused with the Forest of Beginnings. Something inside is causing an imbalance in the runes... fusing parts of the tower with the forest and separating the two with a large, imposing gate. That's why simply destroying the gate isn't an option. Unless the underlying cause is eliminated, it'll just reappear once more.

The cause behind an imbalance in the runes...

So the Forest of Beginnings is within the tower, then? That means... well, can't you just break that huge gate and enter the Forest of Beginnings directly?

Huh?

You know! By using the power that's released when the gate breaks...

Oh, I see!

I...don't really get it.

I get it, it just doesn’t make any loving sense. This is the first time it’s ever been suggested that Gates work this way.

I might have told you before... but gates are passages leading out from the Forest of Beginnings. When a gate either breaks or disappears... there's a slight power that's drawn toward the forest. If it's just a regular gate, it's only strong enough to draw out small monsters.

That isn’t even the way gates have been established to work in this game! Destroying a gate just destroys the gate, it doesn’t draw anything into anything!

Hmm... But when the gate is that big, it could be a totally different story.

So, if I break the gate in Leon Karnak…!

The energy output may be large enough to turn the whole tower into the Forest of Beginnings. You might just have a chance of getting in.

...!

But then, there wouldn't be any way for you to get back...

Well, that would be suboptimal.

What?

I've never heard of anyone that's returned from the Forest of Beginnings.

Actually...I have. Several years ago... one person made it back from the Forest of Beginnings. But I don't know the details, as I merely overheard the story at the royal capital.

This was RF2.

Well, then let's all try to figure it out! Our mission is to come up with a way to return from the Forest of Beginnings! So we can help Lady Ventuswill!

That's true...there's no use just standing here. I'll go search the documents in my room.

Let me help you, Volkanon!

I'll contact the capital.

I'll try writing a letter to my hometown.Maybe we can hear a different story from the elves!

I'll go do some research too! It's time for me to show how capable I am as a detective! Watch Miss Illuminata solve this mystery!

I'll help! ♪

I'll go ask the customers in town! I'm sure we'll soon find a solution, yes?

Then...why don't I cook for everyone? I can inspire you all with my delectable dishes!

...I'll lend you a hand, Porcoline.

Everyone loves Lady Ventuswill so much... All right, time to get serious and start searching!

Yes. We have to do what we can as well.

I'll do more research on the Forest of Beginnings. Don't worry. I'll make sure you safely return to this town!

Allow me to help as well, Kiel.

Thank you...everyone...

Art!

You're trying to figure out how to return from the Forest of Beginnings, right?
So you can help Lady Ventuswill? I want to help you out as best as I can. There must be a way to come back!

I can't just slack off like I do with my store, now, can I?

I'm going to help Xiao and ask around.

I'll also do my part, though I'm not sure how much help I'll be.

"Let's try to save Ven!"

That cutscene dragged on. On the other hand, the whole town mobilizing to try and help is a pretty touching scene.

NEXT TIME: Leon Karnak and the Forest of Beginnings... it sounds like a Harry Potter book.

Current up to date vote count:
Amber 1
Clorica 2
Dolce 19
Forte 4
Margaret 19
Xiao Pai 1

The count remains unchanged since the last update. The next update will finish off act 1, so if you haven’t voted, now’s the time. It’s pretty much completely between Margaret and Dolce now, unless a bunch of people come out of the woodwork all backing one of the girls lagging behind. If the tie remains unbroken, I’ll probably flip a coin, or pick the first girl I see the next time I start up the game, or something.

Truthkeeper fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 5, 2016

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Truthkeeper posted:

The Delirium Lava Ruins

You included an image here that was transcribed just after.

And Dolce

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
If there's a tie you should let Pico break it. :ghost:

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012

Truthkeeper posted:

At Sechs, they convinced me that she killed them...

Art. Let me ask you once again. I want you to save Leon. Will you release him? Will you release the last Guardian?

Spot missing Doug's face and one where it need's Venti's face instead.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Those fire rooms are horrific with the regenerating fire enemies, as it does not matter how much damage you deal if the creature is thrown into the air it will regenerate a little health and not die

subsequent hits just repeat this, you need to hit them at a relatively specific time to minimize their time in the air

this gets obnoxious facing Ambrosia in the postgame dungeon and her regenerating butterfly attack

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Blind Duke posted:

Those fire rooms are horrific with the regenerating fire enemies, as it does not matter how much damage you deal if the creature is thrown into the air it will regenerate a little health and not die

subsequent hits just repeat this, you need to hit them at a relatively specific time to minimize their time in the air

this gets obnoxious facing Ambrosia in the postgame dungeon and her regenerating butterfly attack

Oh, we are going to get to all of the problems I have with Rune Prana eventually.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Blind Duke posted:

I don't remember this being a problem for me. Ambrosia's damage is nasty but you can avoid it if you play solo.

This does go into a little tip I would like to bring up: Be aware and careful with your partners' attack elements

At this point, players might have access to the Fairy monster "Red" (Selfia Plains, outside the room leading to the pit where you fight Ancient Dragon and can be tamed with anything you can find). If you want to try and tame it, it's a fire caster with frequent AoE fire attacks. This is nice in most areas of the game until you get to the Delirium Ruins. Now you run into enemies that absorb fire and they get healed by it.

The big 4 elements (wind, water, earth, and fire) tend to have monsters that are immune to them. I tend to limit myself to physical attackers and recently multi-element casters.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Act 1 Finale: The Forest of Beginnings

We’re motoring through to the end here folks. Of Act 1 at least, we’re still less than halfway through the plot.

As this update ends Act 1, it also ends our voting. Art will be romantically pursuing Dolce, the ice-cold Victorian maiden with built-in creepy voyeur.

The gate blocking entrance to Leon Karnak is still invulnerable until I progress the plot.

But more important than plot… is revenge.

Look up. Look down.

I’m on a horse.

Riding monsters around is a nice way to move quickly, I don’t do it as often as I should even in playthroughs where I use monsters a lot.

Now, is it just coincidence that I chose to ride my enslaved man-horse to the inn?

Nope, back to the plot.

Art!

We found the culprit!

No, we didn't. But we did find a rather helpful ally.

Huh...?

The script tells me that Barrett actually introduces himself here if you haven’t talked to him before. I like it when the developers think of little things like that.

So I heard you're looking for Omni Gate.

Omni Gate?

Metal Gear?

It's a moving magic that you use to summon something from the Forest of Beginnings.

So...it can...!

Yeah. It can also bring someone back. I know someone who actually came back by using that magic.

The TL;DR version of RF2s plot. The main character, Kyle, sacrificed his life to seal the prison of Fiersome, Ventuswill’s fire- and destruction-based counterpart, for a thousand years by attaching their souls together or some poo poo. Having the god of destruction loose being considered a bad thing. Kyle’s kid of variable gender got tired of his dad being a deadbeat and beat Fiersome to death, sending Fiersome and Kyle both to the Forest of Beginnings. Then Barrett, who had spent the latter half of the game learning the language and magic of the ancient Earthmates, came up with a way to bring Kyle back.

What?!

It was a lucky coincidence. I was searching for information on the person who returned from the Forest of Beginnings... and learned that someone in this town happens to know that person well. But then Amber came in and I lost my focus. I wound up leaving empty-handed.

I'd actually sent Amber to the castle to search for clues, while I myself investigated the inn. I figured, those are the best two places to begin, no? And then I got my lucky break!

The water in the vase was dirty, you see. So I tried to change it, but I... It has dropped. It seems I will always be clumsy.

And that stopped me from going home.

And that's when I happened to be passing by. Since I only had scraps for clues, I was worried I'd never be able to find him... but thanks to that bandana, I recognized him instantly.

That is an absolutely absurd series of events that led to us successfully finding… this guy who shows up and hangs around town all the time.

So that's how you found me.

So he's the one...you were looking for?

Yes.

Right. It's a magic called Omni Gate. If you'd like to learn it, I can teach you.

Yes, please!

Just bear in mind... that not everyone can use it.

What...?

To be honest, I can't. It's a magic that only the Earthmates can use.

And that's our current dilemma.

Well, that should be no problem. Because I'm an Earthmate!

Super convenient!

What?!

Seriously? Then should I just...go ahead and teach you?

Sure! That would be great!

One off-screen training montage later…

All right. Can you remember this?

Absolutely.

All right. Let's give it a shot, then. There's someone you want to help within the Forest of Beginnings, right?

Yes.

Then just think of that person's name inside your head...

Now try to come up with some specific detail you know about that person.

Okay. Now, say the spell name!

I don’t think that worked as intended.

You all right?

I suddenly felt so much power rushing into my body...

...Did you... try to move an uncontrollable number of runes? If you're just trying to summon a person or a monster, that shouldn't happen. What were you trying to call?

Whoever it is, I don't think this spell's going to do the trick.

Then I'll have go to the Forest of Beginnings myself.

Wha...?!

It's too dangerous!

That's right! You don't know what's out there! There's no guarantee that you'll even get to the Forest of Beginnings.

We already had an idea how to get inside. And as an Earthmate, I'm the only one who can save him. So I'll enter the Forest of Beginnings from the large gate... and use this magic to leave.

You can't do that. Omni Gate... is a magic to call something from the Forest of Beginnings to where you are now.

So if I use it there...

It won't do a thing. I mean, it's designed to call something, to begin with. You can't use it on yourself.

If only there were other Earthmates we could call upon to help us, maybe people who have cast this spell before. Maybe people who live down the street from Barrett and he could bring them with him next time he comes to town. Too bad.

The odd thing is that another cameo character off-handedly mentions that the protagonist from RF1 has gone missing, it wouldn’t have taken much effort to just mention that Kyle, Aaron, and Aria aren’t available for some reason. But no, didn’t even think of that solution. Art is ready to just jump straight to plan “Needlessly Sacrifice Myself For the Good of the World”.

But you can use this instead.

Huh...?

With it, you can come back from the Forest of Beginnings. Though it'll break after only one use.

Wow...where did you get such a thing?!

I used to research the ancient Ath writings of the Earthmates. I wanted to use Earthmate magic even though I wasn't an Earthmate myself. ...Partially so I could lend aid to the person I know who came back. But also to help out any reckless fools who feel invincible just because they're Earthmates. I'm sure you can all understand exactly what I mean.

It’s true. Earthmates have a martyr complex. The only RF protagonist I can think of who wasn’t ready to sacrifice his life to save the world was Micah, who was coincidentally not an Earthmate. He was the product of bestiality. Or something.

Yeah, I think so.

All too well.

It doesn't take a detective to figure out what you're implying.

Just because they’re right doesn’t mean I have to put up with this.

Looking at you, it makes me realize all over again... that you Earthmates are kind-hearted but impossibly stubborn. That ring reacts to spells. So hold onto the person you want to save, and chant, "Aarus." Once you chant the spell, it'll transfer both you and whatever you're holding. But you've only got one shot. So don't mess it up.

Art...

It's all right. I promise I'll save Venti!

That's the spirit!

Yes! Good luck!

I'm afraid you're the only hope we've got now. But I have faith in you, Art.

...Thank you.

And then with the cutscene over my horse spawned in. So in my memory of that scene I was on horseback for the whole conversation.

If you're heading there now, please let me know... And I'll gladly join you.

Yeah. About that…

I have to go alone. No companions, no pets. Just Art vs. Monster Heaven.

Also, once I enter the Forest, there’s no waking up back in the clinic. Dying in the Forest is permadeath, automatically back to the title screen.

It’s not difficult enough for that to really be an issue.

But if I pass through, I can enter the Forest of Beginnings! I must succeed!

Heaven’s Gate has two gimmicks. The gate itself switches elements over time, and only one of its colors is weak to physical damage. The smart way to handle this is to bring multiple weapons to cover more than one element. I did not think to do that this time, so I had to use my underdeveloped magical skills to take it down.

The second is that it summons crowds of monsters. In this small room. It’s very easy to get swamped by sheer numbers if you don’t clear them out. I believe it can summon any non-boss monster from Act 1. Along with a few that won’t appear until later.

It’s very doable, but it dwarfs all the boss battles so far in sheer length.

Who are you talking to Art?

I think I'm right before the tower now.

The first time I’ll be able to enter the tower of Leon Karnak, as it’s been sealed up until now. And will be again after I complete Act 1. For a while.

Oh Ventuswill no! Not the 60s!

If so, then I honestly don't mind.
I'll do whatever I have to do...
It's sad that I'd have to leave everyone else.
But if it's to help Ven...
No, I can't say goodbye like this.
If Ven found out, she'd try to stop me.
Is the door to the Forest of Beginnings open now?
...I see. Everything will be okay soon.
Until then... You know, one day...
when I wake up...
I want to fly with Ven.
We'll fly in this beautiful blue sky, just the two of us.
So... please save Ven.

Well, that’s not ominous at all. But with the mysterious voices gone I can walk through this blank flowery void.

…Into Yokmir Forest? Well, slaughter the orcs and move on.

…Into the Water Ruins? Huh, it’s too bad I can’t recognize patterns or else I’d know what’s coming next.

Well, actually, another void is next.

Will Venti get better... once I use the Etherlink?
...All right. Just tell me one last thing.
Was I chosen as the Guardian... because I'm her best friend?
...I see. No, don't say anything to her.
It would make her sad... to know that I left for her sake.
I'm just going to settle down for a long sleep...
Don't worry, I'm used to waiting.
I'll just think of it like a long vacation.
A fishing trip.
Oh, and...when I awaken in a new world...
I want to take it easy and go fishing with her.
Even if we couldn't find a way to do it...
one day, someone will... right...?
A way to save Venti...
So until that day comes...
take care of Venti, will you?

Well, that sounds like somebody we might know.

Remember what I said about pattern recognition? Forget about it. This room is actually patterned after the proper Leon Karnak dungeon, which I’ve stuck my head into briefly but can’t do anything in yet.

And then more void.

But...I just couldn't bring myself to tell Venti...
I'm ready now. I have no regrets.
Use that magic, Etherlink, to fuse me with the earth.

"Please, wait! Why can't I do it instead of you?! I care about Ven just as much as you do!"

This magic can only fuse humans with runes.
That's why it has to be me.

"So it's...because I'm a ghost...?"

...Don't look so sad.
Becoming a Guardian doesn't mean I'll die.

"But you'll never see anyone from this time period again!"

I don't want to regret this decision to save her. So...please. Don't say anything more.

"..."

Farewell.
Take care of Mom and Dad for me.

"That's not a goodbye! Your mom and dad are going to be waiting for your return too, you know!"

That's foolish of them. It won't happen in their lifetimes.

“I'll be waiting, though. Forever. Right next to you. Until someone else comes to help Ven. I'll always be waiting. ...I'll be right beside you, Dolly."

They all wanted to help Venti. They wanted to be with her. But...

You know, I have to say, listening to Dolce and Pico here makes Pico seem pretty likable. Maybe it was the centuries of waiting that made Pico such a creepy weirdo.

…No, Dolce seems pretty used to her creepiness, it’s clearly nothing new. I got nothing.

And then we have the Obsidian Mansion based area.

Which phases into another void.

Oh, sorry. I should introduce myself first.
My name is Leon.
I'm here to have you cast a spell on me.
...Yeah, I've already heard the explanation.
You're fusing my body with the earth's runes to keep sending power to Ventuswill...
And in order to do so, you need someone with a strong connection to her.
That's the gist, right?
If that'll help Venti, I have no problem doing it.
I wouldn't call it a sacrifice.
After all, I'm a dragon priest.
It's my job to protect her.
So I guess you can call me a Guardian.
How diligent am I, to be working as I sleep?
Unfinished businesses?
There's tons of it.
But we're running out of time.
It wasn't my job to save Venti.
That's why I'm sure...
that one day, someone will come upon the answer I could never find.
Only then will she truly be saved.
As long as we never give up, it's possible.
It's always possible.
That's why... I'm begging you.
Please save Venti.
Never give up.
Never stop trying.
I have faith in you, Earthmate.
I believe in the future.

So, Leon named the Guardians. Also, people have been begging Earthmates for centuries to find a way to save Ventuswill. Why do I have an annoying feeling that this guy that turned Leon into a Guardian made the Rune Spheres in an afternoon and then forgot to ever deliver them.

Alternatively, maybe every Earthmate who made a Guardian independently thought of and created a Rune Sphere afterward, never delivered, and that’s why there were four ready for Art to bring to Selphia.

We may never know.

...and because they've always believed in the future... that's why I can be here now. That's why...

This is never explained beyond Art’s idea that an Earthmate is randomly talking to him.

...I have to go. To honor everyone's feelings... so that those feelings will never be in vain. And to put an end to everything, once and for all!

Well said Art!

And now we’re back in the physical world, on top of Leon Karnak. That little trip through Monster Heaven just bypassed a long and difficult dungeon.

And skipped us to the second of the three bosses of Leon Karnak. Sano and Uno.

Sadly, this version of the fight is boring. Sano, on the left, shoots fire. Uno, on the right, shoots water. They both die quickly. I guess they didn’t want to have a lot of difficult fights in this land of permadeath.

I guess they fought me because they were bored then?

And here we come to the final boss of Leon Karnak v0.1.

It’s… a UFO?

…to save Venti and the Guardians. I'll save...everyone!

Stop talking and do it already!

http://tindeck.com/listen/enzev

Sarcophagus isn’t a difficult fight here. The proper version of him in Act 2 is a loving nightmare. He teleports around, shoots lasers, and phases out while filling the room with falling stars.

And then the room started dissolving into the void.

As much as he tried to run, Art can’t get to Leon. Because reasons.

Art. I know what you’re thinking, and you’re still an idiot.

Then again, self-sacrifice seems to be a running theme here.

And then he threw the ring and the last Sphere to Leon. So you can’t run in here, but you can throw things just fine? Stupid breaking down universe physics!

I have to break one promise after all.

Well, at least the ring works. Can you imagine coming this far only to find out it’s a dud?

There's so much more that I wanted to talk to you about. About the people who were close to you. What you talked about, and how you spent your days... How you felt when you found out... that they had disappeared... hoping to save you. About the time when you found out that I was an Earthmate... one of those who had sealed your friends. And when, ironically, I'd become the only person who truly knows you in this time period. Despite everything, you smiled and told me... that I am who I am. Now I can kind of imagine... how you must've felt when you told me that. And how much strength and kind- heartedness it required to open yourself up to me like that. I think I understand...now. That's why...

Right about now Leon’s probably wondering if that Earthmate way back when drugged him or something. And I’m wondering how this Egyptian-seeming fellow is local to Selphia, circa a very long time ago admittedly.

I kinda like his fox ear hat though.

Who…?

I am...an Earthmate, Leon. Leon. Will you tell Venti about what's happened here?Coming here, I got to know a little more about everyone's feelings. It made me want to talk with you even more than I already did. Because I'm sure I'll like you even more, knowing what I know. So... Goodbye. And thank you... ...for being my friend. It was fun.

It sounds like that’s a message he wants Leon to give Venti for him, but the way it’s written makes it sound like he’s thanking the guy he just met for being his friend.

You…!

And then the portal closed, taking Leon with it, and leaving Art trapped in the formless void of the Forest of Beginnings.

I just lied about there being additional content you see. The game ends here. Roll credits.

Art can never escape the Forest of Beginnings. He’ll have to fight monsters for all eternity.

So, you know, not that different from how he lived his life thus far.

Or not! Although I wasn’t joking, the credits do actually start rolling, only to stop here.

http://tindeck.com/listen/xlrcr

Because Art was just saved by a literal act of God!

Why are you standing there all slack-mouthed?!

...B-because...

...Did you miss me that much?

...Yeah. I could stare at you all day...

...Dumbass.

Gonna have to go with the dragon on this one.

Venti...

Don't try to put an end to everything all by yourself.

But, why are you...? And how is...your body...? Oh, Leon’s back in the tower...

Well, at least he can stop and think long enough to come up with cause and effect. He sent Leon back to the physical world with the sphere, ergo the last sphere is in place, ergo dragon is healthy again. QED, FYI, and E Pluribus Unim.

WAIT WAIT WAIT! One subject at a time, please. Geez... My body hasn't fully recovered, you know. But it's all right, I guess. How about you? How are you feeling?

...I'm...all right.

Kinda confused how there’s air for him to breathe in this formless void.

Honestly, you're out of your mind. A living being, entering the Forest of Beginnings?!

But...I had no choi—

You had plenty of options, I outlined a perfestly reasonable plan earlier. You chose to play the sacrificial hero.

CUT THE CRAP! Do you realize how dangerous the Forest of Beginnings is to a human being?!

Based on the evidence provided by this series, I would have to go with “not very”.

Had I known what was going on in this tower, I would have never asked for your help! Anything could have happened!

But I had to go. I wanted to save you. I couldn't just sit there and do nothing.

Art... ...You know I'm at a loss for a response when I hear something like that, right? Rrrrrg... It's not fair!

I'm so glad you're safe, Venti...

... W-well, you know. Um... I should thank you... for everything you've done. ...I truly appreciate it, Art.

...Of course! How did you know where I was, though?

You have one of my feathers, right?

I do, yeah.

Chekhov you magnificent bastard, I read your book!

That feather has a special power. It is, in a sense, part of my body.

It’s one of your feathers, and therefore is, literally, a part of your body.

That's why I'd know where it is from anywhere. Even when it's in another world.

I...had no idea...

That's why I told you from the start... to think of it as a charm.

So… you were expecting him to cross the boundaries and time and space while running errands for your lazy rear end?

Oh...

No matter what happens to this body... I won't let anyone make the same mistake again. This time... I promised myself I'd save my friend with my own hands.

And this time, she did. Guess I can’t keep harping on her for being lazy.

Venti...

Thank the heavens... I made it in time.

You sure did.

Well, how about we head back?

We can do that?

No Art, she committed honorable seppuku so she could go to Monster Heaven and hang out with you for eternity. Dumbass.

Of course! Who do you think you're talking to? I am Ventuswill, the Divine Wind!

This line is always voiced when she says it, it’s one of the voice clips I wish I had to link to.

I don't know the meaning of the word impossible! But...

Ideally, all gods would follow the examples set by humanity.

Roll credits as Art takes a ride on a dragon!

For some reason, some of the dev team gave themselves nicknames based on the various giant crops.

And then we came for a landing back at Dragon Castle.

Where Leon has already arrived!

...You've grown so much.

Of course I have. How long do you think it's been since we last met?

Oh, I have no idea. I don't keep track of time anymore.

You're as impudent as ever, it would seem.

Not as much as you, though. Right, Venti? How has the world fared in my absence? Did you live...a happy life?

Leon... I... I've missed you. And I wanted to thank you...

...Don't. It was my own decision. It's none of your concern. I don't know how long it's been... but I know that you're still alive. And that's thanks enough for me.

Leon...

I should thank you too, Earthmate. Will you tell me your name?

It's...Art.

All right. I'll remember that. My apologies for troubling you. But... thank you for keeping your promise.

Don't thank me. My contribution is insignificant here.

Says the guy who just risked his life traveling to the afterlife.

You should thank the other Guardians instead.

All right. I will, when I see them. Now... Waking up from what was no doubt an insanely long slumber, my whole body is feeling numb. I think it's best I rest for the moment. I'll see you tomorrow, Venti.

...Sure.

Until then.

Leon... right? He seems kind.

Leon’s kind of awesome. Troll that he is.

Hmph. Not at all! I was trying to thank him, and that's how he reacts? "It was my own decision"?! Acting all suave, like he owns the place!

Haha...

What are you laughing at?!

Don't try to hide how happy you are. You're as clear as glass right now!

Wh-what are you talking about? Who said I'm happy?! I'm... miserable! Miserable, I say! ...Bah, whatever! I was also going to thank you, but I've changed my mind now. Just go on home and rest!

Fine, fine. I'll see you later, Venti. And...you're welcome.

Hmph. ... ...Thank you, human child...

ACT 1, END.

Truthkeeper fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 9, 2016

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
A lot of broken tags and wrong character portraits in that update, sadly.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Well that's embarrassing. I went through and fixed all of those prior to posting... and then posted the unfixed version. Well done me!

They all should be fixed now. I also changed the formatting for the voices of the Guardians coming out of the void. I didn't want to use the portraits for those because I like maintaining the eerie nothingness feeling the game had going.

Truthkeeper fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Oct 8, 2016

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So, let me guess. Leon is very into card games, right? :v:

e: if I played this game and picked the female Art I'd probably go for Leon because Ancient Egypt is aces

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Zanzibar Ham posted:

So, let me guess. Leon is very into card games, right? :v:

e: if I played this game and picked the female Art I'd probably go for Leon because Ancient Egypt is aces

Leon is at least as much of a troll as manga Dark Yugi.

The bizarre thing is that he isn't from Egypt. He was Venti's priest, here. Which suggests that old timey Selphia was similar to ancient Egypt.

Also, he's the only homeless guardian who decides to get a room at the inn. Because we ran out of people with convenient spare bedrooms.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
A literal Deus Ex Machina. :cripes:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
So would you prefer that the literal god in the setting with a vested interest in how it turns out actually does nothing, instead

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Deus Ex Machina is more when something happens out of nowhere, but here Art specifically sends Leon with the rune ball to save Venti. Of course she'll return the favor.

Also this update made me really sad you can't marry Venti, even if her human form would look barely better than Amber's.

Pico better not haunt Art & Dolce's kid, or else :toughguy:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

HenryEx posted:

So would you prefer that the literal god in the setting with a vested interest in how it turns out actually does nothing, instead

I'd prefer if the story didn't push the Heroic Sacrifice angle so hard and then completely negate its consequences with a literal act of God five seconds after the fact, yes.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Deus Ex Machina is more when something happens out of nowhere, but here Art specifically sends Leon with the rune ball to save Venti. Of course she'll return the favor.

The term Deus Ex Machina comes from Greek tragedies, where commonly the plot was resolved by a god coming out of nowhere, which is exactly what happened here. Venti could have done the feather things two Earthmates ago, but she didn't because no one was the main character.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Oct 8, 2016

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It was explained that she couldn't go far from town because she is/was linked to the place, so it might very well be that she couldn't have gotten the stones, even if she knew they existed. And not all gods are omnipotent. If they were you wouldn't be able to beat RF1-3.

So yeah, you're wrong.

e: "oh, I'm the guy who knows the spell you need and I just happen to visit here all the time. Also here's a ring you'll need that I just happen to have" - A-OK because it wasn't a god doing it

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Zanzibar Ham posted:

e: "oh, I'm the guy who knows the spell you need and I just happen to visit here all the time. Also here's a ring you'll need that I just happen to have" - A-OK because it wasn't a god doing it

Not, it's equally bad. But I find the other one funnier because it was already old 25 centuries ago. Pointing up bad writing in general is Truthkeeper's job. Like he does, twice, in that scene.

Basically, you don't fix plot by a) luck (your example) b) supernatural entities or previously unknown powers or c) characters just introduced to the story. This is writing 101.

To make things worse, in this case it cheapens Art's planned sacrifice because it renders it inconsequential. If Pheidippides (I looked that one up) had taken a leisure stroll to announce Athens' victory we wouldn't be running marathons today.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
On the other hand when you complete your quest like Art just did it's okay to get rewarded for it.

e: I mean, if Venti coming to the rescue now that she's feeling better is really Deus Ex Machina, then it's one of the least offensive uses of it I've seen

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Oct 8, 2016

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

It's a literal deus ex machina, but not really the literary offensive kind. Ventuswill has been built up as someone who would help out when the situation calls for it, and Art's last act before he was trapped was to send Leon back to the tower with the sphere, thus enabling her to take action. It makes perfect logical sense for Venti to be willing and able to save Art.

There are two issues. The first is that Ventuswill hasn't been established as being able to travel between the physical world and the Forest of Beginnings until now. She's a literal god and being able to pull out previously unseen powers shouldn't surprise us. The second is that Art is so certain that he's just sacrificed himself. Realistically, even if Venti hadn't saved him, Ventuswill would have sent somebody to find another Earthmate to bring him back with the Omni Gate spell. Raguna from the first game is AWOL, but Barrett would probably have no trouble bringing Kyle or Aaron to town to help out. Unless he was in immediate danger of dying, which was never really suggested at all, somebody would have resolved the issue quickly.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
Missed opportunity for a horde mode feature.

Survive for (timer) until ???

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's much more effective if you don't take away the twist that the game isn't over ahead of time like Truthkeeper did. The game's kinda open-ended in its farming business and it took me like 20 hours to arrive at that point anyways, so i wouldn't have batted an eye if the more out-there plants were a thing for the post-game.
It doesn't really come across well in just screenshots either, but the overly melodramatic forced heroic sacrifice with that music, rising into a floating, fading background, complete with credit roll that then gets interrupted mid-way, is extemely funny the first time you see it. Especially with the stereotypical buildup throughout the whole preceding level, dreamlike vanishing landscapes, echoes of your friend's voices and all that. Even if you can kinda see it coming, the game pushes the act just far enough along that you start to doubt yourself, and then pulls through.

It's one of my favorite fake-outs in motion, actually. Shame it gets mangled by the format here. :(

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
So, is Venti gonna give back the memories of the other three former guardians? She doesn't have to worry about them running off to re-sacrifice themselves.

Truthkeeper posted:

As this update ends Act 1, it also ends out voting.

Yeah. It can also call bring someone back.

Coming here, I got to know a little more about everyone's feelings. It made me want to talk with you even more than I already did. Because I'm sure I'll like you even more, knowing what I know. So... Goodbye.

Couple typo spots, a doubled image, and a wrong portrait.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Zagglezig posted:

So, is Venti gonna give back the memories of the other three former guardians? She doesn't have to worry about them running off to re-sacrifice themselves.

Couple typo spots, a doubled image, and a wrong portrait.

I take responsibility for everything but the second typo was legitimately in the text dump. But not in the finished product, oddly enough.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.

HenryEx posted:

It's much more effective if you don't take away the twist that the game isn't over ahead of time like Truthkeeper did. The game's kinda open-ended in its farming business and it took me like 20 hours to arrive at that point anyways, so i wouldn't have batted an eye if the more out-there plants were a thing for the post-game.
It doesn't really come across well in just screenshots either, but the overly melodramatic forced heroic sacrifice with that music, rising into a floating, fading background, complete with credit roll that then gets interrupted mid-way, is extemely funny the first time you see it. Especially with the stereotypical buildup throughout the whole preceding level, dreamlike vanishing landscapes, echoes of your friend's voices and all that. Even if you can kinda see it coming, the game pushes the act just far enough along that you start to doubt yourself, and then pulls through.

It's one of my favorite fake-outs in motion, actually. Shame it gets mangled by the format here. :(

This.

I was playing female character and the dynamic between she and Ventiswill is quite sweet (female character is a bit more interesting, writing-wise, than male character, I find, and has better dialogue imo) so when this part popped up and the credits started rolling I was like "Oh no. Oh no no no."

The fake out was funny, and it worked quite well with how the scene is set. Screenshots don't really do it justice.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

I freely admit that I regret giving away early on that the game continued past this point. By the time I remembered how effective the attempted fake out here can be, it was too late to change my approach.

silversatyr posted:

This.

I was playing female character and the dynamic between she and Ventiswill is quite sweet (female character is a bit more interesting, writing-wise, than male character, I find, and has better dialogue imo)

Oh come on now, 90% of their dialogue is the same, it's only in the gender based scenes (so the romance and sleepover scenes, and a small number of others) that are different. Frey's romantic dialogue is better, I'll admit. And I will definitely give you that Frey has better voice acting than Lest, but it's hard to take seriously a woman that wears soda can tabs on her nipples.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Truthkeeper posted:

Oh come on now, 90% of their dialogue is the same, it's only in the gender based scenes (so the romance and sleepover scenes, and a small number of others) that are different. Frey's romantic dialogue is better, I'll admit. And I will definitely give you that Frey has better voice acting than Lest, but it's hard to take seriously a woman that wears soda can tabs on her nipples.

This is the entire reason why i unlocked the night gown or whatever it's called ASAP for Frey and basically wore it as the default clothes from then on. It works as a surprisingly convincing "summer dress" as well, and isn't ridiculously overdesigned garbage.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Act 1 Epilogue

The day is saved, the dragon god king mayor is saved, Art is gonna get the girl (eventually), and his wallet is full of money gained from the curry market. Life is good.

I knew you could do it!

Even Doug isn’t being a colossal rear end in a top hat anymore.

He’s still a regular rear end in a top hat, but not a colossal rear end in a top hat.

And my recent carrot crop has yielded enough rune orbs to level up my spear skill. Yay?

Also, there’s an important thing about Leon. He’s the last unlockable character, so I finally have everybody living in town.

Of course he has his own anime cutscene, in which his eyeliner cannot be contained by mere hair!

But I must say, there's something weird about Venti being honored like that.

I see.

It really is bizarre. Like seeing some plain Jane suddenly become a princess.

So I guess this means you've heard about me.

Yes Art, because you are a pretty pretty princess.

I overheard it while I was arranging my lodging at the inn.
It seems you haven't had it easy, yourself. Nevertheless, you still run about doing everything you can for both Venti and the rest of the town. To be honest, I was stunned at how much of a busybody you must be.

It’s true.

Hey...!

But the situation being what it is, I wouldn't be averse to aiding your search.

What?

There's a large blank spot in my life from when I slept. I'd like to start filling that in. So in the end, both of us will be searching through the past. Best do it together, then.

Leon…

Well then. I look forward to working with you from here on, Art.

Me, too!

Leon is critically important to a spellcaster, since he’s the only way to level up spells. Which gets expensive quickly. I’ll have him do a few for me later.

Also, it’s another festival day! Which festival? The Crafting Festival!

And this year’s favorite to win is…

Welp, can’t be having that. My testosterone demands that I not lose in a contest of skill to a woman I intend to romance!

Luckily, I went nuts with forging earlier. My lucky gloves that saw me through like the last four dungeons will win this contest for me!

You can see why it would have been horribly embarrassing for me to lose.

I celebrate my victory with another field upgrade. That makes four main farm fields and three seasonal fields so far.

So, I saved the god king dragon, but how is she recovering, especially after she went from bedridden to flying me out of Monster Heaven in a hurry?

I can't say that I've fully recovered... but I do feel much better now.

I'm glad to hear that.

You know—

Art got run down by the child sized ghost. Again.

What's the matter?

" 'What's the matter' ?! How could you ask that? What's the matter with YOU?!"

Wh-what do you mean...?

"Isn't it obvious? It's about Dolly! How much longer are you planning on leaving her like that?! Give her back her memory!"

Ouch...

"Huh? Art... Don't lie there like that. You'll catch your death of cold!"

You're the one who shoved me down here!

"Hmm?"

Erm...b-but... Th-there's no need to bring them back, either...

"What are you saying?! There IS a need, or else I wouldn't be here right now, now, would I?! SO HURRY IT UP! RETURN. HER. MEMORY!!"

Angry ghost is angry.

B-but, if I do that...

Is there a reason you want to keep it buried?

Not...especially, though I can't exactly say for sure that there isn't one...

Ventuswill, you are a many centuries old dragon god. How have you never learned to lie in that time?

"What kind of wishy-washy nonsense is that?! You think it's better that she stays in the dark forever?!"

I-it's only memories relating to me, though! It's not like there's anything essential I'm keeping sealed away!

"You...BONEHEAD!!"

Wha...?

"I don't know what you're worried about... But you thought it was the right thing to do, right? And that's why you did it. But things are different now! Why can't you just be more confident? Can't you trust them?!"

...I...

"UGH! This is so frustrating! I bet you're worried about something stupid... like how angry she'll get with you over erasing her memories. Am I right?!"

URP...

"Oh, my. That is just... pathetic."

I’m kinda with Pico on this one.

W-well...

"NO EXCUSES! Just give her back her memories, and LET her get mad at you! (Not like you don't deserve it...)"

It’s true.

Mmm... E-err... G-give me a second...

"No waffling! How many times do I have to--"

RRRRG! ...Art. Will you call the three of them here?

"I'm glad we're on the same page. Finally, everything should go back to normal now! For Dolly and...for you too, Ven."

Pico…

Um...

Venti...?

...I'm sorry for everything you've all gone through on my account.

Ven... you've grown.

You think? She looks the same to me.

Dolce knew her a lot longer ago than you did Dylas. Venti was probably smaller then.

I think she has. She seems more dignified.

I’m sorry? Are we still talking about the same dragon that hits me up for pancakes twice a week?

...None of you have changed at all.

Hmm... But... Why was it I'd forgotten about you? You were such a dear friend to me...

That's... ... ...my fault... I had taken away all of your memories of your time with me. ...I'm sorry.

Why would you do that?

I was just concerned that... you all might try to become Guardians again. For me...
Leaving me all alone again... I know you all sacrificed yourselves for me. But... I didn't want to see you do that again. I couldn't bear it.

Venti, you...

I know I'm being selfish... You all became Guardians for me. But... I want you to imagine... that your best friend, whom you've always been with...the one you've always turned to... suddenly disappeared one day. How would that make you feel? The first day, you'd just be... bummed. It would just be "one of those days." The second and third days, you'd start to really miss them. After four days, you'd begin to worry that something bad may have happened. And then... it wouldn't be much longer before you'd realize... that your friend wasn't coming back. No matter how good you may feel physically... you no longer have your best friend by your side to share that happiness with you. Hopeless and alone... you think to yourself... I'm so lonely... Why aren't my friends here to comfort me? And then you'd remember again... that it's your own fault.
That you're only alive because of the sacrifices your friends made for you. ...The realization hits you like a ton of bricks. Yet you're powerless to do anything about it.

Venti...

But that's why... I'm actually kind of glad.

Huh...?

I'm glad I could finally say all of this out loud. And... I'm glad I could finally get an opportunity to apologize to you. ...I'm sorry.

Why...?

Why are you apologizing?

I've always wanted to...apologize to you all. I've made you...sacrifice your own lives for me. ...Words can't describe how much I've regretted allowing that to happen. I'm so very, very sorry.

Why are you blaming yourself for that? I just did what I wanted to do. It was my choice to make. Nothing for you to concern yourself with!

B-but—

I feel the same! I didn't care what happened to me as long as you were okay, Ven!

You say that, but—

Look. I don't know how the other two related to you... but it's clear we all feel the same way. We did it for you. And you didn't make us do it. We did it because we wanted to. That's why, as long as you're alive, we're happy. That's all the gratitude we've ever needed.

"Well, I had to be all alone the whole time, so I wasn't exactly thrilled about it!"

You don't count, 'cause you can wait forever if you need to.

"...But I know that you feel sorry deep down inside."

Dolce is rather abusive toward her creepy midget stalker.

Haha... It's remarkable. None of you have changed. Not one bit!

It’s almost like they were all trapped in an enchanted sleep while they were transformed into monsters and then you wiped their memories so they wouldn’t turn into monsters again!

This game is weird.

Thank you... But sacrificing your own life to save others... It might sound noble in theory, but those who are left behind have to deal with your loss. And though I swore to myself that I'd never allow such an act to be done in my name again... I was about to make Art do the same thing.

Aren't you glad I didn't listen to you?

In the end, yes. But if I'd had some power left... I would have swallowed a troublemaker like you whole!

Hahaha. I prefer eating from the tail.

Luckily, Art has no tail.

Somewhere during the eating humans joke the others cleared the room.

Huh?

You were able to see Amber and all your other friends again. It has to be wonderful...

...That's true. And it's all thanks to you.

Hmm?

Oh...nothing. I said nothing.

Nothing, huh? Heh. I was a bit surprised, though, I must admit...

About what?

How you were talking to everyone so naturally. So casually! I guess I'm just not used to it. Not used to it toward anyone but me, anyway.

Trying to translate the way Ventuswill switches between formal and informal Japanese doesn’t really work and it just sounds goofy when they refer to it as her being casual.

Th-that's true.

Um, Venti?

Hmm?

Mmm...

Now that we have the Rune Spheres... there's no need to worry about them becoming Guardians.

But... Hmm...this is a sensitive issue.

Why?

Because the dragon god king likes being treated like a king god dragon. This is not a difficult situation to figure out Art.

I've been acting this way for a long time. And you know, a sort of...system has developed. It's like a tradition. It's who I am to them. Trying to change that now would only cause confusion.

And then Blossom was here.

G-good morning.

Good morning, Art. Having a morning conversation with Lady Ventuswill?

I came to see how Venti's doing.

Ahh, is that so? She had been sick for quite a long time, hadn't she?

...This might be a great opportunity.

(Huh? Giving what a shot?)

(Try talking to Blossom the same way you've been talking to me and the others!)

You guys do know she’s two feet away and can probably hear you, right?

Is something the matter?

...Ahem! Are you here for an audience?

That's right.

Is it not a strain on your body to come all this way?

Please don't worry. It's one of the few pleasures allowed this old woman!

I see... Very well, then. To your health, Miss Blossom!

Oh, come now, I don't deserve such attention from a divine being like yourself!

Venti...

Is there something further you wish to discuss?

You must be busy as well. Why don't you run along and continue the tasks you've been assigned?

Ugh...really? How do I get through to her...?

Oh gently caress you and your traditions Venti. Next time, we shake things up a little.

Truthkeeper fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 9, 2016

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

You have Blossom and Venti's portraits switched once at the end there.

It never really hit me until now that although the guardians were all friends with Venti and share a sort of sense of camaraderie based on that, they were all more or less complete strangers to each other before Art beat them up. It's actually kind of an interesting dynamic.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Cattail Prophet posted:

You have Blossom and Venti's portraits switched once at the end there.

It never really hit me until now that although the guardians were all friends with Venti and share a sort of sense of camaraderie based on that, they were all more or less complete strangers to each other before Art beat them up. It's actually kind of an interesting dynamic.

There's always one that slips by. Every single time.

And yeah, each of the guardians is from a different time period. Amber is fairly recent, Dylas is older, Dolce is from Selphia's Victorian era equivalent, and Leon is from ancient Egyptphia. The oddest thing is that Venti has never had more than one friend at a time until now.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I just realized that in both RF threads going on right now we're marrying the ghostly lady. And it's nearing Halloween :spooky: :ghost:

So theoretically you could have gotten married by this point if you wanted to?

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I just realized that in both RF threads going on right now we're marrying the ghostly lady. And it's nearing Halloween :spooky: :ghost:

Theoretically? If I had started courting any girl living in town (so Forte, Margaret, or Clorica) talked to her and gave her her favorite present every day? Sure, if I got lucky on RNG. The RNG can screw you on trying to ask a girl out.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

You could. Though there are specific requirements to fulfill in order to marry someone. One of which is heavily at the mercy of the RNG, unfortunately.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Alright, that's a good change from RF3, where you had to beat the game to get married.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Truthkeeper posted:

I've been acting this way for a long time. And you know, a sort of...system has developed. It's like a tradition. It's who I am to them. Trying to change that now would only cause confusion.
There's always two that slip by you. :v:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Alright, that's a good change from RF3, where you had to beat the game to get married.

If I had to be honest, I don't think RF4's replacement for that was a good idea either.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
The one friend every few centuries in mind, do you think the other three also had bizarre ways they first met her? I suppose Leon might not, since I guess she was fairly young and small, but she may have gone a bit more regal-ish by Dolce or Leon's time.

Truthkeeper posted:

It really is bizarre. Like seeing some plain Jane suddenly become a princess.

You don't count, 'cause you can wait forever if you need to.

Found some more mixed up avatar spots.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I do have to wonder if the Rune Spheres haven't just bought a little time... and, if so, how much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

It would be worse if they lasted forever. Ventuswill is meant to be mortal, to be born and live and die. Making her live forever because five people would be sad if she died isn't right.

• Locked thread