Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Scent of Worf posted:

They spent decades demonizing minorities/women/leftists and built up their own media bubble to further brainwash their voting base. I find it hard to believe that they are actually surprised at the outcome of all those their party has done.
They believed they were in control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Sky Shadowing posted:

I think a degree of this is that this isn't Trump ragging on some lady from TV or something. This is Trump bragging about basically sexual assault. And nearly every person on Earth has at least one woman they care about, be it their wife, sister, daughter, mother, grandmother, friend, whatever, or, in case of the most disgusted group, themselves.

Not to mention it's on tape.

It's also a hot Mike secret recording which makes it much harder to deny. This wasn't for an audience.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

sarmhan posted:

Seriously Sikhism is a really great religion, in that it makes charity not just an abstract obligation, but a literal core function of their place of worship.

Isn't it also why they wear the Turban, if I remember correctly? Like, it's an outward sign so that people who see it know that this person will help no matter what?

Sikhism is awesome, and if I wanted to be religious that might be my choice. But, :effort:

gfsincere posted:

Yes. Trump has a rape trial for raping a 13 year old girl on one of Jeffery Epstiens wild flights that starts on Oct 14th.

Holy crap. :vince:

Wrap it up, folks. We're done here.

E: Ah, seems like more people think it might be a sham / flailing to no effect? Well, we'll see how it plays out I guess.

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Oct 9, 2016

Sensible Thursday
Jul 28, 2007
SNL's going with the "lewd comments" description and completely cruising past the sexual assault part.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

https://twitter.com/jmartNYT/status/784806309703086080?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Hmm posted way earlier but I hadn't noticed

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Oct 9, 2016

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Holy crap. :vince:

Wrap it up, folks. We're done here.
It's old news. That's been out for months. Don't expect anything big from it.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

You're denying a rape accusation because "she's lying and wants to ruin a man." I'm just pointing that out.

No I'm not, and you're being intentionally disingenuous to say that.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Sensible Thursday posted:

SNL's going with the "lewd comments" description and completely cruising past the sexual assault part.

I can understand that. "Grab 'em by the pussy" is a funny line but sexual assault isn't.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Are you guys serious? After all this, "Trump takes time off campaigning to face charges of raping a 13 year old girl" is a headline that is seriously going to appear before the election?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Sensible Thursday posted:

It's because they desperately want to seem non-partisan.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

Are you guys serious? After all this, "Trump takes time off campaigning to face charges of raping a 13 year old girl" is a headline that is seriously going to appear before the election?
I don't think he's appearing, and it's a civil suit, and one people have known about for months now. This thread discussed it before.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Guy Goodbody posted:

Nah his court date isn't until December 17th. So we get to hear "President Elect Donald Trump takes time off from organizing his transition team to stand trial for raping a 13 year old girl"

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...
Anyone happen to have a facts-based take on the Bill Clinton stuff? All my searches turn up garbage

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Scenario 1) Trump stays in. R vote split between deplorables (thank you for that term :abuela: ) and GOPe resulting in blue senate and competitive house.
Likely fallout: schismed Republican party, possible highest EV count for a third party since the 70s

Scenario 2) Trump caves to massive pressure and imminent failure, withdraws from ticket. GOP rushes to fill with Pence or Kasich (gently caress you Cruz). If Trump calls upon his base to vote for replacement, race may be competitive. Maybe.
Result: slim HRC win, Senate possibly Democratic but house remains out of reach

Scenario 3) Trump goes rabid and full scorched earth, manages to lose core deplorables. GOP turnout depressed, but more unified wrt vote splitting.
Likely result: HRC landslide, but possibly close house/senate BlüdDammerüng

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Have Some Flowers! posted:

Anyone happen to have a facts-based take on the Bill Clinton stuff? All my searches turn up garbage

He did it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

It depends on the case in question. The "Bill rode on the Pedo-Plane" stuff is a bunch of garbage.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

U-DO Burger posted:

I can see why her behavior would make you lose your compassion for her, but it really doesn't have any bearing on whether or not her accusation is legit. People do illogical, counterproductive poo poo all the time

I would like to believe that 100% of rape victims wouldn't tend turn around, hear a rapist describe sexually assaulting women in graphic detail, and go, "yeah let me enable his rapist ways and be a rapist by proxy for defending him, literally the same thing I accuse Hillary of"

But here we are in 2016.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

I don't think he's appearing, and it's a civil suit, and one people have known about for months now. This thread discussed it before.

Although it may make for a perfect deflection for the 3rd or 4th time Trump brings up Bill.

0th time - deflect back to the issues if doesn't really say it
1st time - personal and relatable response
2nd time - American people want to hear about the issues
3rd time - isn't your court date for sexually assaulting a child next week?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

So, I wanted to take a moment to discuss the ceiling here. What is the best possible outcome for Democrats? There are 46 seats in the Senate right now held by the Democratic caucus. 24 of the seats up for re-election this cycle are Republicans. Maybe only 10 of them are floated as serious pick-up possibilities.

But what if, this meltdown is every bit as bad as it looks? What if we're looking at a fifteen point swing? Guys like Mike Lee and Tim Scott only won by 61%. Sure that was untouchable a month ago. Nobody even bothers polling states like Utah and South Carolina because why bother? With something as unprecedented as this, though, what happens when they lose 15%, either because the moderates are too disgusted to vote for someone with the same (R) as Donald Trump, the fringe protesting the establishment's abandonment of their hero, or a combination of both? James Lankford of Oklahoma won with 68% of the vote. Nudge that by 20%, just 20%, and you can knock off a Republican in loving Oklahoma. Who's his opponent? Who cares? Who's even been paying attention to congressional races when this entire year has just been nonstop coverage of the presidential election?

House of Representatives it's the same potential issue, but even bigger. Remember that gerrymandering is a double-edged sword. By design we're looking at 55% guaranteed "safe" Republican seat voters, not 70%. When the numbers get high enough, we're looking at some sort of crazy mathematical fuckery where the House might get a Democratic supermajority and the Senate does not.

And I'm not talking about any sissified six-tenths kill a filibuster majority. No, my friends, I'm talking about the 2/3s majority necessary to pass constitutional amendments. The Republicans want to bleat about protecting the Constitution? Let's see how those fuckers like it when the Equal Rights Amendment is explicitly written in there. Let's see anyone fighting the ERA after this...monstrosity of an election proves it's necessary. Think about what little difference it makes who's named to the Supreme Court vacancy when congressional Democrats have the power to change the Constitution in such a way that even Clarence Thomas would have no choice but to rule in their favor.

Some of you will doubt me, mention all the myriad ways this could go wrong. If sixty Democrats couldn't pass healthcare worth a poo poo, could they really pass good Constitutional Amendments?

You might be right about that. And yet...

This possibility now has to be seriously considered. Let that sink in. Open the bloodgates. Open the bloodgates indeed.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

gfsincere posted:

I would like to believe that 100% of rape victims wouldn't tend turn around, hear a rapist describe sexually assaulting women in graphic detail, and go, "yeah let me enable his rapist ways and be a rapist by proxy for defending him, literally the same thing I accuse Hillary of"

But here we are in 2016.

spite is a crazy thing

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Some Guy TT posted:

So, I wanted to take a moment to discuss the ceiling here. What is the best possible outcome for Democrats? There are 46 seats in the Senate right now held by the Democratic caucus. 24 of the seats up for re-election this cycle are Republicans. Maybe only 10 of them are floated as serious pick-up possibilities.

But what if, this meltdown is every bit as bad as it looks? What if we're looking at a fifteen point swing? Guys like Mike Lee and Tim Scott only won by 61%. Sure that was untouchable a month ago. Nobody even bothers polling states like Utah and South Carolina because why bother? With something as unprecedented as this, though, what happens when they lose 15%, either because the moderates are too disgusted to vote for someone with the same (R) as Donald Trump, the fringe protesting the establishment's abandonment of their hero, or a combination of both? James Lankford of Oklahoma won with 68% of the vote. Nudge that by 20%, just 20%, and you can knock off a Republican in loving Oklahoma. Who's his opponent? Who cares? Who's even been paying attention to congressional races when this entire year has just been nonstop coverage of the presidential election?

House of Representatives it's the same potential issue, but even bigger. Remember that gerrymandering is a double-edged sword. By design we're looking at 55% guaranteed "safe" Republican seat voters, not 70%. When the numbers get high enough, we're looking at some sort of crazy mathematical fuckery where the House might get a Democratic supermajority and the Senate does not.

And I'm not talking about any sissified six-tenths kill a filibuster majority. No, my friends, I'm talking about the 2/3s majority necessary to pass constitutional amendments. The Republicans want to bleat about protecting the Constitution? Let's see how those fuckers like it when the Equal Rights Amendment is explicitly written in there. Let's see anyone fighting the ERA after this...monstrosity of an election proves it's necessary. Think about what little difference it makes who's named to the Supreme Court vacancy when congressional Democrats have the power to change the Constitution in such a way that even Clarence Thomas would have no choice but to rule in their favor.

Some of you will doubt me, mention all the myriad ways this could go wrong. If sixty Democrats couldn't pass healthcare worth a poo poo, could they really pass good Constitutional Amendments?

This possibility now has to be seriously considered. Let that sink in. Open the bloodgates. Open the bloodgates indeed.

Amendments need state legislatures too.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
To be as cynical as possible, nobody important (middle and upper class white male america) cares about Trump making GBS threads on minorities, muslims, women, ect. But here Trump is on tape talking about disrespecting another white man's property, Perhaps thats why this is sticking.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Trabisnikof posted:

Although it may make for a perfect deflection for the 3rd or 4th time Trump brings up Bill.

0th time - deflect back to the issues if doesn't really say it
1st time - personal and relatable response
2nd time - American people want to hear about the issues
3rd time - isn't your court date for sexually assaulting a child next week?

His response to the 3rd time will be: WRONG, WRONG! It's delayed until December!

And he won't even notice the horrified looks on everyone's faces because getting him to tell the world he's on trial for raping a white girl is basically public suicide.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

silvergoose posted:

Amendments need state legislatures too.

I thought it was either Congress or the state legislatures, not both. As I recall ERA originally went for the latter route and only came up a couple short.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

For Juanita Broderick?

He said she said. Nobody knows. There is no real evidence one way or the other. The accusations are credible insofar as there is nothing self-contradictory or unbelievable about them. The accusation wasn't made until decades after the alleged event, and nearly twenty years have passed since then, so there is pretty close to zero chance of any new evidence ever emerging.

Those are all the facts to be had. Nobody knows or will ever know, barring a deathbed confession from one of them.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Lin Manuel Miranda just dropped a "He ain't never gonna be President now" joke during his monologue on SNL. Mic drop.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams
I want all the trump goons in here. I want their explanations and rationale for sticking with this tire fire while telling me how great white culture is.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

OAquinas posted:

Scenario 2) Trump caves to massive pressure and imminent failure, withdraws from ticket. GOP rushes to fill with Pence or Kasich (gently caress you Cruz). If Trump calls upon his base to vote for replacement, race may be competitive. Maybe.
Result: slim HRC win, Senate possibly Democratic but house remains out of reach
I honestly don't get why people are assuming abruptly that any Republican will instantly get huge amounts of votes. It was bad enough to be attributing sorcerous powers to this braying jackass of a candidate, but now it is being imputed to every Generic Republican? If they could whip their voters in line with that kind of speed, Trump wouldn't be their candidate right now.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Stereotype posted:

spite is a crazy thing

Basically this. I could totally see someone ignoring their vector of revenge if it lets them carve a pound of flesh from their target of hate. Going Ahab and all that.

Almost used "strange bedfellows" there but that's a wee bit much even for me.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Some Guy TT posted:

I thought it was either Congress or the state legislatures, not both. As I recall ERA originally went for the latter route and only came up a couple short.

Congress proposes them, states need to agree.

Or call a new constitutional convention which has never and will never happen.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Some Guy TT posted:

Well you recall completely wrong.

There is an alternative method to pass amendments involving a constitutional convention (which requires state legislatures) but it has never been used.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

It's fun to imagine but it's not happening. Right wingers tired of Trump's bullshit will just write somebody else in the top of the ticket and vote R for everything else "to provide a check on Killary's power". The level of hatred they have for Hillary will motivate them to show up.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

smg77 posted:

It's fun to imagine but it's not happening. Right wingers tired of Trump's bullshit will just write somebody else in the top of the ticket and vote R for everything else "to provide a check on Killary's power". The level of hatred they have for Hillary will motivate them to show up.
The men will.

The women, now... :abuela:

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

OAquinas posted:

Basically this. I could totally see someone ignoring their vector of revenge if it lets them carve a pound of flesh from their target of hate. Going Ahab and all that.

Almost used "strange bedfellows" there but that's a wee bit much even for me.

I could see that, if the vector was literally anything other than "the exact same poo poo I'm accusing Bill Clinton of".

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

silvergoose posted:

Congress proposes them, states need to agree.

Or call a new constitutional convention which has never and will never happen.

I looked it up and yeah you're right. Wow. I'm surprised anyone was ever able to pass new constitutional amendments under any circumstances. Still, even being able to propose them in the first place...again, completely impossible to imagine just a month ago.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Nessus posted:

I honestly don't get why people are assuming abruptly that any Republican will instantly get huge amounts of votes. It was bad enough to be attributing sorcerous powers to this braying jackass of a candidate, but now it is being imputed to every Generic Republican? If they could whip their voters in line with that kind of speed, Trump wouldn't be their candidate right now.

The republican base has been trained to hate liberals and Clintons for 20 years. It's not so much that they'll love their new candidate, it's that they'll hate the other one more.

Edit: Trump's support is key. Otherwise the deplorables feel cheated and stay home.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

smg77 posted:

I dunno, I wouldn't underestimate their stupidity.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juanita_Broaddrick#Allegations_against_Bill_Clinton

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Dear lord I can't wait for the debate tomorrow night. We are going to see a man die because he lost so badly in a televised debate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
For the state beyond opening the blood gates I propose the term "sanguinem diluvium".

Or in English: blood flood :unsmigghh:

• Locked thread