Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Major Isoor posted:

Really?! Hm, I could've sworn there was a loading screen hint that stated/suggested that! I might be mistaken though, I suppose. Well, how will I clear out my four garage slots? Can you swap cars in/out, or are you stuck with the ones you buy, and that's it?

You don't have garage slots? I have every car worth a drat bought in my game. Are you confusing cars with engineers as you can only have 4 engineers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

njsykora posted:

You don't have garage slots? I have every car worth a drat bought in my game. Are you confusing cars with engineers as you can only have 4 engineers.

poo poo, you may be right...Urgh false alarm, sorry people! :shobon: (I suppose that's what I get after working and posting on only a few hours worth of sleep...)

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

New AMS dev update. The important bits.
- 3 Caterham models, the 270R, 360R and 620R coming, with race versions of the first 2 as used in the Caterham Academy and Superlight series'.
- An upgrade system is in the works to allow for more Caterham options. This hugely pleases me.
- More dirt tracks are coming as free content, again pleasing since rallycross has been pretty much forgotten since the early beta days.
- Pikes Peak seems to be going as the 3rd of the Legendary Race Tracks DLC.
- Where they mentioned a Group B rally car before they're now saying a 'major manufacturer pack'. So the smart money there is on either Audi (currently licencing their poo poo out to literally everyone), Ford or Peugeot (both already in AMS).

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I'm totally okay with Audi being in everything. I want more LMP1s :argh:

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
No AMS today, firmware update bricked my pedals.

RACE IS HAPPENING

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Oct 2, 2016

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Gonna avoid that update then

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
That's just the default update you're supposed to do after receiving the pedals, the firmware is older I think. I must have done something wrong I guess.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
I think I had to install Fanatec driver 222, then update firmware, then install 231 or some weird nonsense like that. I know I had to install an old version of the driver temporarily, I just don't remember where the firmware update fit in the process.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I got driver 250, apparently a new version not on the site yet, and as quick as that went it seems to be a known problem. The pedals get stuck in bootloader mode.

RACE IS ON.

Evrim
Nov 15, 2005

yum!!
Uhm where and in what are we racing? :) Or is it a last-minute surprise now

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Evrim posted:

Uhm where and in what are we racing? :) Or is it a last-minute surprise now

Next Event:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

njsykora posted:

The Alpine is probably the best starting car now, since it gets you used to driving RWD before having to move up to 70s.

You guys weren't joking when you said that the Alpine A110 is a blast, and miles ahead of the other '60s cars! Just started a clubman '60s championship after winning my first one (drove the Lancia and placed 3/3/1/1/2/1, winning the open championship by a mere second), and it's so good. Just completed a six-stage event in Germany and by the end of it I was a clear minute ahead of the competition - even though I was racing on half those stages for the first time. Certainly better than I thought I would go, with no practice with RWD in the game so far.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Yeah it's one of the most fun cars in the game. All the sick RWD drifting without the instant, hideous death by horsepower.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Is there a reason all of the DiRT posting is split between here and the actual DiRT thread?

It's mostly just me/wanderer/qmass posting our sick records over there. Please come break up my double posts

Would love to get all of you on my friends list so I have more goon times to measure up against!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

New Zealand can eat me posted:

Is there a reason all of the DiRT posting is split between here and the actual DiRT thread?

It's mostly just me/wanderer/qmass posting our sick records over there. Please come break up my double posts

Would love to get all of you on my friends list so I have more goon times to measure up against!

Oh whoops, didn't realize there was a DiRT thread. I've bookmarked it now, so hopefully I'll keep it in mind for next time! I've also sent you a friend req (same username) on Steam, although don't expect any real competition from me - I'm not exactly a professional rally driver, by any stretch of the imagination! :v:

Also, I just had my first night stage (in a championship at that) in Wales post-rain, which was certainly interesting - especially as I had never driven on that stage before! Beat everyone else by a couple of seconds at least, so can't complain too much. Certainly a lot more tense at night, though! (Especially when you narrowly whizz by a spectator you didn't see until it would've been too late anyway, coming close to killing the poor bastard)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

New Zealand can eat me posted:

Probably because no one expected there to be a Dirt thread since the only other PC sim with a thread is iRacing.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Sooo... Simbin exists again :stare:

http://www.virtualr.net/surprise-simbin-back

quote:

Now, a new chapter will be added as Simbin is now led by former Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe and Route 1 Games producer, Allan Speed. The Studio will be focusing on creating cross-platform racing titles for current and next-gen platforms.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

This feels like Sector 3 trying to revive the brand to do something outside RaceRoom. At some point SimBin is actually going to stay dead though.

E: Having done further reading this isn't just a collaboration with a new studio, this is straight up Sector3 opening a new studio. SimBin.com has a Sector3 Studios email as a contact and there are jobs for this new studio on the S3 site.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 6, 2016

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Pcars is on sale on steam for $15.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/234630/

Is it worth it if I have AC, AMS and iRacing already? I usually only play iRacing anyway.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Larrymer posted:

Pcars is on sale on steam for $15.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/234630/

Is it worth it if I have AC, AMS and iRacing already? I usually only play iRacing anyway.

PCars has gorgeous graphics, and some really cool cars like the Gumpert Apollo. Get it if you ever want to just chill out and enjoy the scenery in a racing sim that isn't based on a 10-year-old engine.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

It also has night races with rain. Something most sims don't do at all.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I picked up WRC 6. It's a vast improvement in every way over last year's although is not a serious challenger to Dirt Rally. Still a dope game though.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Norns posted:

It also has night races with rain. Something most sims don't do at all.

I forget which but there was a license test in either Gran Turismo 1 or 2 where you slide a Corvette around a large wet circle at night iirc just to show off what the game can do.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Next Event:

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
So today I took the final piece of FOV/setup advice I always kinda ignored, the one where "seeing more of the cockpit" is not worth it to move your viewpoint way far back. Aside from actually increasing MY IMMERSION, it also improves the sense of speed quite a bit, which I can only ascribe to the fact that less of the screen is taken up with static image and is instead now filled with rushing pixels.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

The crew is free right now if you feel like installing and using u play. It's not a Sim but is kind of fun.. and free.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Free on what? It was on games with gold a while ago.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Cojawfee posted:

Free on what? It was on games with gold a while ago.

uplay

Ubi's DRM/DD app.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The G29 is on sale for $280 on Amazon. Snagged it and a playseat challenge for about $500 altogether.

headfake
Aug 6, 2011

There's a really good crew chief / race engineer extension that works with most of the PC sims. I'm using it with Project CARS and having more fun than dealing with real people on iRacing. It's just called CrewChief, here's the link:

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?38922-Crew-Chief-an-alternative-race-engineer-for-console-amp-PC

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
First AC Porsche DLC apparently has 935/78, 917/30 and 3.0 RSR. And some other stuff I don't give a poo poo about.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
So the Logitech GT Driving Force pedals don't have a clutch. Do I need one? Hoping to do some racing in VR, don't want to find out down the road that I need a new set of pedals because some game needs a clutch.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

El Grillo posted:

So the Logitech GT Driving Force pedals don't have a clutch. Do I need one? Hoping to do some racing in VR, don't want to find out down the road that I need a new set of pedals because some game needs a clutch.

No sims require a clutch that I'm aware of. Everything I've seen has an auto clutch option.

With that said. I'm faster in iRacing using a clutch vs autoclutch. But it's by no means mandatory. And we are generally talking tenths in poo poo like the Miata Cup.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Norns posted:

No sims require a clutch that I'm aware of. Everything I've seen has an auto clutch option.

With that said. I'm faster in iRacing using a clutch vs autoclutch. But it's by no means mandatory. And we are generally talking tenths in poo poo like the Miata Cup.
OK well as a total newbie I guess I'm safe then. Especially given it's like £100 cheaper than a g25 or whatever the next one up the scale is.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

El Grillo posted:

OK well as a total newbie I guess I'm safe then. Especially given it's like £100 cheaper than a g25 or whatever the next one up the scale is.

You might be better off with a Thrustmaster T150, which also comes with two pedals. I haven't been able to find measured torque specs, but it is probably as strong or a touch stronger than a G25/27/whatever and definitely stronger than a DFGT. More importantly, it is belt driven instead of gear driven, so it will be much smoother force (and quieter). It will also be new, which you won't see with a DFGT. I believe they sell for $199 stateside or £179 across the pond. If you can't find a DFGT with working pedals for half that price, the T150 may be a better option.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It depends on what car you're driving. Some cars have dogbox transmissions which means it uses dog teeth to syncronize gears instead of syncromesh. This means you don't (and really shouldn't) use the clutch when shifting. Worst case, sims will offer an autoclutch or you can just set the clutch to a button and use that. I don't know if there are any sims that properly simulate the slipping of a clutch as most seem to just be on or off.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

The Science Goy posted:

You might be better off with a Thrustmaster T150, which also comes with two pedals. I haven't been able to find measured torque specs, but it is probably as strong or a touch stronger than a G25/27/whatever and definitely stronger than a DFGT. More importantly, it is belt driven instead of gear driven, so it will be much smoother force (and quieter). It will also be new, which you won't see with a DFGT. I believe they sell for $199 stateside or £179 across the pond. If you can't find a DFGT with working pedals for half that price, the T150 may be a better option.

I second belt driven over gear, I feel belt driven helps you react quicker to feel and catch slides. I rarely caught a slide with my dfgt with my Thrustmaster I've been save a slide instead of ending up in the wall.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
T150 is double the price unfortunately, or at least there aren't many second hand offerings. But it does sound better, quietness is a factor with my housemates.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

What backwards world do you live in.
The T150 is around 199 on amazon

The G25 is showing as 299 with not much used, the g920 is also 299,
I think the mid tier t300 is like 349. No wait 399 good lord I got lucky when mine was like 279.

Pc wheels are in a really odd state, the driving force gt which was worth like 99 tops used is now going for big money, the g27 also going for big money compared to what the sold for before. There offerings on entry level and mid tier are slim and pricing keeps going up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

That's why you should just go all in and get a direct drive wheel!