Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

speng31b posted:

If anyone hasn't figured out this guy is trolling at this point, I don't even know what to say.

It's legitimately not any more stupid than "unskewed polls" which was an actual thing Very Serous People were talking about in 2012.

The bar for right-wing nutjobs is subterranean at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

gfsincere posted:

Know what else seems deeply wrong to me? A person who claims to have been raped disregarding the statements from a man who openly discussing sexually assaulting women as "just talking".

To be clear, I'm not calling her a liar. I just doubt her claims now without actual evidence, which is not to say I believe Bill Clinton is innocent or never had any sort of sexual contact, consensual or nonconsensual with her either.

Its moreso that when it comes to rape, I'm usually looking for the accused to produce evidence otherwise (I know, not impartial at all but gently caress it), but it's the opposite with her since she's willing to dismiss the recounting of sexual assault as "just talking".

I respectfully disagree, with regards to your approach. But I think that, absent physical evidence, that it's an academic argument at best.

Edit: actually I misread this entirely and more or less agree on principle, if not in tone.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

gfsincere posted:

In fact, it wasn't her "associating with him", it was the fact that, as I've repeatedly said, she took his story of how he sexually assaults women, with the story having one woman in particular in it, as "just talking" and not bothered by it at all.

Okay? I am aware of that. And you're saying her saying that would trump her being actually raped, just to be clear. Like even if she was actually raped it would no longer matter to you because she said this.

gfsincere posted:

Now do you have a full picture, or do I need to put it in crayon and have Big Bird and Barney explain it to you?

Still not angry, huh?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/784986392799617024

Themagicalgoat
Oct 5, 2016
Upon the first sign of infidelity and/or sexual assault, a good wife must divorce and speak out against her husband.

Just like Melan...

I mean, just like Marl...

Uh...I mean, a wife should just support her husba....

That is to say, I'm not a troll, but I hold reasonable opinions.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Leaning on in terms of 'pressuring' or leaning on in terms of 'please god he is the closest thing we have to stability?"

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Kilroy posted:

Pretty sure that's not what's being said, but sure if you want to give it the most uncharitable reading possible then okay good luck with that. It seems pretty clear gfsincere is referring to empathy with Broaddrick as a person who probably received some poor treatment from Bill Clinton on the tail end of an affair with him.

He's basically trolling but he will eventually put himself in a corner. After all he keeps trying this "Monica was raped through coercion" angle when she has repeatedly said over the years it was consensual.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
https://twitter.com/jbarro/status/784929682919751681

Just seen this. I always knew that Portman was kinda liberal for a Republican and supported gay marriage. I never knew it was because his son was gay. And all these Republicans speaking out about Trump today because they're offended on behalf of their wives and daughters. Holy poo poo, these people can only have a decent opinion if it impacts them directly.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Someone asked for it earlier:
https://twitter.com/leahmcelrath/status/784614267383386112
Line by line dissection of Trump's "apology"

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ImpAtom posted:

Leaning on in terms of 'pressuring' or leaning on in terms of 'please god he is the closest thing we have to stability?"

I'm guessing latter here.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 210 days!
The last bit of Wikipedia's article on her kind of sums up the whole Broaddrick thing for me:

quote:

Broaddrick said she was neither a Democrat nor a Republican, but she supported the Donald Trump presidential campaign, 2016: "He says the things I like to hear."[23] She agreed with Trump's injection of Bill Clinton's acknowledged and alleged sexual misdeeds into the campaign.[23] On October 8, 2016, in the wake of the Donald Trump Access Hollywood controversy, Republican nominee Trump retweeted Broaddrick's tweets in which she calls Bill Clinton a "rapist" and calls Hillary Clinton's actions "horrific".

Oddly enough, I could easily see both Clinton having raped her and her deciding to go to bat for another rapist because he's Trump and #maga.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Buts we gots to have Pence to have this not look like a Russian takeober. Oh der.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

The thought of loving Manafort coming in as a ringer has me laughing my rear end off.
Has he fled the country?

Mister E
Oct 2, 2006

by exmarx

Ego-bot posted:

https://twitter.com/jbarro/status/784929682919751681

Just seen this. I always knew that Portman was kinda liberal for a Republican and supported gay marriage. I never knew it was because his son was gay. And all these Republicans speaking out about Trump today because they're offended on behalf of their wives and daughters. Holy poo poo, these people can only have a decent opinion if it impacts them directly.

I'm not going to look up the tweet but someone nailed it pretty succinctly: they have to bring up their wives and daughters because if they didn't, they'd sound feminist, and to the GOP that's very, very bad. Phrasing it this way makes them sound like angry property owners, which for the GOP is very, very good.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/784986975094894592

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Ego-bot posted:

My favourite Golden Dawn policy is the liberation of Constantinople, a city that has more people in it than all of Greece. That's a lot of ethnic cleansing.

That can't be correct. It's just one city vs an entire country.

**Asks Aunt Wiki**

Son of a Sexual Predator, Istanbul has 14m and Greece is just 10m

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

A Winner is Jew posted:

I know the comment on this was a joke... but she actually did drink McCain under the table.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2013729/US-elections-How-Hillary-Clinton-beat-John-McCain-at-vodka-drinking.html

:laffo:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm not sure if I'm relieved or disappointed. I almost wanted to see what would happen next.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

Okay? I am aware of that. And you're saying her saying that would trump her being actually raped, just to be clear. Like even if she was actually raped it would no longer matter to you because she said this.

Still not angry, huh?

Lol look at all this bad faith posting. Holy poo poo. This is "I prepare Trump for debates" bad.

If she had proof of her being raped I'd absolutely believe it.

All she has, and all she has ever had, is her word, and her words now say "a man recounting sexually assaulting women is "just talking"". So her word doesn't hold much stock without actual evidence now.

Couldn't be any more clearer than that.

And no, not angry. You're a troll and/or struggle with reading comprehension, which makes me either pity you or sad for you, your choice really.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

On the one hand this means we don't live in the Most Hilarious timeline.

On the other hand RIP Mike Pence forever.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Oh I hope the next oppo bomb is a recording of Trump trying to gently caress Pence's wife.

One can dream.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

lozzle posted:

On the one hand this means we don't live in the Most Hilarious timeline.

On the other hand RIP Mike Pence forever.

I wouldn't worry, all signs point to Pence having to make this decision several more times in the next 30 days.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 210 days!

Old James posted:

That can't be correct. It's just one city vs an entire country.

**Asks Aunt Wiki**

Son of a Sexual Predator, Istanbul has 14m and Greece is just 10m

The most populated city in the world, Toyko, has 37,833,000 residents.

The population of Canada is 36,286,425.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/uMadddt/status/784720840109678592

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

A Winner is Jew posted:

I know the comment on this was a joke... but she actually did drink McCain under the table.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2013729/US-elections-How-Hillary-Clinton-beat-John-McCain-at-vodka-drinking.html

Lol this rules

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Kilroy posted:

okay well I'm not defending that :)

Yes I agreed with his reading*.

*if by reading you mean disagreeing and then quotes out of context.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
So given what we know of Trump's record on projection, will November 7 be the day where the records of Trump's business dealings with the insidious doctor Ben Ghazi come out?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

quote:

All she has, and all she has ever had, is her word, and her words now say "a man recounting sexually assaulting women is "just talking"". So her word doesn't hold much stock without actual evidence now.

I agree with this in theory, but I also feel like we should acknowledge on principle that her scenario - powerful straight white man decided he could help himself to a sympathetic woman with less social status and then covered it up with implied threats - is common and plausible. I feel like it's a bad look to poo poo on people claiming to be victims of sexual assault and in this case should focus on the fact that there's never been a trial and zero physical evidence and her claim is her word against his, without dipping into implying she is a liar.

But that's a tone argument more than anything. :v:

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

Yoshifan823 posted:

If we're being perfectly honest, I think there's enough of a pattern that Bill Clinton, if not a rapist, is at the very least a sexual predator. I take Broderick at her word about her interactions with him, thoughI definitely don't believe that Hillary Clinton threatened her or tried to scare her.

Like, the absolute worst thing you can say about Hillary re:Bill's exploits is that she stayed with him, and if that's the worst you got you'd better shut the gently caress up.

Yeah, people are honestly just pissed she stayed with him. There are people who think "He was accused of raping a woman! Why do you stay?" when they are ignoring that Hillary was aware Bill was a philanderer and I am certain she saw Broderick as yet another sexual encounter she would have to swallow her pride over. I believe Hillary and Bill honestly do have a strong bond and it doesn't surprise me at all that Hillary would never believe he would rape anybody. As far as Hillary was concerned, this woman could blow up Bill's career, and she didn't. Or, Hilllary had no loving clue what was going on and was actually being sincere when she thanked Broderick for the work that Broderick and her husband at the time had done for Bill. Or another scenario-- Hillary knew Bill had messed around with Broderick and also knew that Broderick was cheating on her husband with yet another man (because she was) and Hilldawg looked her in the eye to let her know she knew everything and if she stayed quiet about Bill, she wouldn't tell Broderick's then husband about the man who would eventually become her second husband a year or two later.

We will never know because there is no evidence and everyone involved had their own agendas, which was why Ken Starr left that poo poo alone.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

May Trump's aura of decay blight your political aspirations for ten generations.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Please, please let the rumors of something even worse being in the pipeline be true so that Pence is forever smeared with poo poo by association.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Edit: Double post but gently caress Mike Pence go down with your poo poo ship you infinite motherfucker.

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Oct 9, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

gfsincere posted:

And no, not angry. You're a troll and/or struggle with reading comprehension, which makes me either pity you or sad for you, your choice really.

The entire crux of my argument is "maybe you shouldn't dismiss rape accusers or say they don't deserve empathy." If that's trolling then I admit I've lost complete track of what the hell trolling is. For someone complaining about supposed bad-faith posting you're kinda pulling the whole pot-kettle-black thing there.

remusclaw posted:

I wouldn't worry, all signs point to Pence having to make this decision several more times in the next 30 days.

How relieved must Pence be that the VP debate is already over. Can you imagine if he had to go into it this week instead of last?

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Wow this guy is a flat out racist.

Also Anna Navarro is awesome.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

lozzle posted:

Wow this guy is a flat out racist.

Also Anna Navarro is awesome.

Whoa let's not say things we can't take back.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

PT6A posted:

Whoa let's not say things we can't take back.

What's the problem with Ana Navarro?

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Lightning Knight posted:

I agree with this in theory, but I also feel like we should acknowledge on principle that her scenario - powerful straight white man decided he could help himself to a sympathetic woman with less social status and then covered it up with implied threats - is common and plausible. I feel like it's a bad look to poo poo on people claiming to be victims of sexual assault and in this case should focus on the fact that there's never been a trial and zero physical evidence and her claim is her word against his, without dipping into implying she is a liar.

But that's a tone argument more than anything. :v:

I agree partially, and in any other situation I would agree fully, EXCEPT:

Her scenario is pretty much the exact scenario Donald Trump admitted using in order to sexually assault women and get away with it, and she completely dismissed it out of hand.

That's what's so concerning, disturbing, and flat out casts a doubt over her claim.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

What's the problem with Ana Navarro?

She's a Republican and has outright ignored a lot of the hosed up poo poo the GOP has said and done, and only became interested in going after Trump when it was cool to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

So, like every other Republican then.

• Locked thread