Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Barbe Rouge posted:

Hahahahaha, Bill Mitchell would be a brilliant comic if he wasn't dead serious. Can't wait for his Election day tweets, serious meltdown incoming.

It's like he's a robot who hasn't been programmed to understand, much less accept failure. It'll be fun watching him malfunction once the numbers make a victory impossible.

That or we'll get something along the lines of "... but you can make numbers say anything. The real election was held in our hearts"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

What's the problem with Ana Navarro?

She's still a conservative hack with particularly vile opinions regarding the normalisation of relations with Cuba, just as an example. And even being in Florida, where her vote could make a difference, her disgust with Trump doesn't extend far enough to commit to voting for Hillary.

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

She's still a republican strategist with loads of lovely stances. She should be applauded for taking the correct stance on trump, but beyond this election will probably resume being terrible.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

sarmhan posted:

The thought of loving Manafort coming in as a ringer has me laughing my rear end off.
Has he fled the country?

No, it's normally his clients who do that.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kithkar posted:

She's still a republican strategist with loads of lovely stances. She should be applauded for taking the correct stance on trump, but beyond this election will probably resume being terrible.

Same with Rick Wilson, Charlie Sykes, Glenn Beck, etc.

Or, after Jan 2017, we're going to all look at each, nod, and proceed to hate each other again.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

gfsincere posted:

I agree partially, and in any other situation I would agree fully, EXCEPT:

Her scenario is pretty much the exact scenario Donald Trump admitted using in order to sexually assault women and get away with it, and she completely dismissed it out of hand.

That's what's so concerning, disturbing, and flat out casts a doubt over her claim.

That's fair, and I don't think I can disagree. It's a lovely situation all around but I also don't think it will impact the election.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/DailyMail/status/784985521630089216

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Gyges posted:

They all think it's perfectly acceptable to just kiss random women because you find them pretty and then grab them by the pussy so they'll do whatever you want. So they see the outrage, scratch their heads, and then assume it's because Donny used such crass language. It's really very enlightening as to who to be on the lookout for future assault scandals.

This is from dozens of pages/scandals ago, but I have a good illustration of this mindset for anyone having trouble conceiving of how people could fail to see this kind of consent violation as a problem.

This is "The Kiss," one of the most iconic photos from WWII Americana and dorm room poster stores everywhere. A sailor is so overwhelmed with joy on VJ-Day he grabbed the first pretty nurse he saw and pulled her in for a kiss. Romantic! Look how she's swooning in his embrace. Maybe they got married.

Only there's something odd about the cant of her body language, isn't there? And the way she's clutching the fabric of her skirt. Maybe this other photo from the series will shed more light:

Ah, she's caressing his face! Wait, no, that's a fist. Everybody knows this soldier grabbed a complete stranger and shoved his tongue down her throat, but over seventy years nobody thought about that as a violation of consent. Nobody noticed that her body is wracked with tension. Nobody noticed that she's pushing him away. Because it's so romantic.

That's Greta Friedman being assaulted. She died last month, and while she was never secretive about the circumstances of that kiss, if you showed that photo to any random person on the street odds are they'll tell you she enjoyed it. In her own words:

quote:

“It was just somebody celebrating. It wasn’t a romantic event.”

Women are things. If you feel like celebrating, grab a pretty thing and have your fun.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Please let Donnie have a restless night and start tweeting about whores at 2am.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

PT6A posted:

Whoa let's not say things we can't take back.

gfsincere posted:

She's a Republican and has outright ignored a lot of the hosed up poo poo the GOP has said and done, and only became interested in going after Trump when it was cool to do.

I don't see other Republicans chaos dunking fellow Republicans over their support for a serial sexual assaulter and overt racist. She practically murdered that blonde lady who got offended by the word pussy and now she stopped just short of calling the guy she was arguing with a racist.

She may be evil at heart but for the last 24 hours at least she's been doing God's work. For a Republican that is more than I could ever hope to expect.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Lightning Knight posted:

That's fair, and I don't think I can disagree. It's a lovely situation all around but I also don't think it will impact the election.

If it does, it will be the claymore mine that Trump thinks he has pointed at Hillary but has pointed at his own face, which is why he's definitely going to hit the plunger and go for it.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Why is a pro-Trump PAC trying to convert his last remaining followers to the other side?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

https://twitter.com/MalcolmNance/status/784539641529720832

Old but someone mentioned those emails again. Everything that isn't boring poo poo is probably fake.

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Oct 9, 2016

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

lozzle posted:

I don't see other Republicans chaos dunking fellow Republicans over their support for a serial sexual assaulter and overt racist. She practically murdered that blonde lady who got offended by the word pussy and now she stopped just short of calling the guy she was arguing with a racist.

She may be evil at heart but for the last 24 hours at least she's been doing God's work. For a Republican that is more than I could ever hope to expect.

To be fair, she's only doing it because she has skin in the game as a Hispanic woman, and life would get noticeably shittier for her and people she cares about. Most of the people she dunks on would see no change or an improvement by a Trump presidency.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

gfsincere posted:

If it does, it will be the claymore mine that Trump thinks he has pointed at Hillary but has pointed at his own face, which is why he's definitely going to hit the plunger and go for it.

Agreed. Even if Trump had the killshot ( :rolleyes: ) to fight Hillary on this he would mangle it because he's sexist swine.

@TB I have literally never thought about that with that photo and now I'm ashamed. :smith:

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL

Jazerus posted:

Why is a pro-Trump PAC trying to convert his last remaining followers to the other side?
At this point they're down to kitchen sink tactics.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I'm listing to the keeping it 1600 from yesterday presumably recorded like minutes before pussyghazi and it's really bizarre how they're talking about things going forward like what will happen in the debate without the frame of a jet crashing into a mountain at 700 mph.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

gfsincere posted:

To be fair, she's only doing it because she has skin in the game as a Hispanic woman, and life would get noticeably shittier for her and people she cares about. Most of the people she dunks on would see no change or an improvement by a Trump presidency.

gently caress it I'll take what I can get. Any time a Republican does something that doesn't actively make the world worse I count it as a minor miracle.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

This is from dozens of pages/scandals ago, but I have a good illustration of this mindset for anyone having trouble conceiving of how people could fail to see this kind of consent violation as a problem.

This is "The Kiss," one of the most iconic photos from WWII Americana and dorm room poster stores everywhere. A sailor is so overwhelmed with joy on VJ-Day he grabbed the first pretty nurse he saw and pulled her in for a kiss. Romantic! Look how she's swooning in his embrace. Maybe they got married.

Only there's something odd about the cant of her body language, isn't there? And the way she's clutching the fabric of her skirt. Maybe this other photo from the series will shed more light:

Ah, she's caressing his face! Wait, no, that's a fist. Everybody knows this soldier grabbed a complete stranger and shoved his tongue down her throat, but over seventy years nobody thought about that as a violation of consent. Nobody noticed that her body is wracked with tension. Nobody noticed that she's pushing him away. Because it's so romantic.

That's Greta Friedman being assaulted. She died last month, and while she was never secretive about the circumstances of that kiss, if you showed that photo to any random person on the street odds are they'll tell you she enjoyed it. In her own words:

Women are things. If you feel like celebrating, grab a pretty thing and have your fun.

I don't think I ever saw that second photo before. I was aware of the context of the photo but that makes it even more depressing than before.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

She's a MJ12 agent.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

After hearing the whole story about this, I don't understand why that sailor didn't do this with his actual girlfriend he was a date on, who is standing in the back.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
Tweet Trump! Tweet!

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Thanks TB for making me sad before bed. I kinda heard about this, but I think I heard it at an age too young to really comprehend "holy poo poo that's not cool" on the level I do as an adult.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I can respect Republicans and conservatives. Like, they might take positions I disagree with or I find immoral, but where do you draw the line? Is everyone who disagrees with you politically a piece of poo poo?

So yeah, Republicans are bad, and Navarro has opinions which I think are bad. The departure with Trump, or supporting him, is that he's a qualitatively different kind of bad. It's not a matter of differences of opinion with him but a basic test of moral character.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Otteration posted:

Tweet Trump! Tweet!

https://twitter.com/PochoDotCom/status/784986065954308096

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Young Freud posted:

After hearing the whole story about this, I don't understand why that sailor didn't do this with his actual girlfriend he was a date on, who is standing in the back.

Can ladies be cucks

Lightning Knight posted:

@TB I have literally never thought about that with that photo and now I'm ashamed. :smith:

Came in just under the wire but glad I can cross "make Lightning Knight sadder about the state of the world" off my to-do list before the end of the day. I'd hate to break my streak.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

I'm going to quote this in its entirety because it deserves it and say I've only seen this picture a few times and never put much thought into it past "iconic WWII imagery" but I feel ashamed for not even considering that she didn't want this moment or that it wasn't iconic for her, just lovely.

quote:

Came in just under the wire but glad I can cross "make Lightning Knight sadder about the state of the world" off my to-do list before the end of the day. I'd hate to break my streak.

Mission Accomplished. :smith:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

gfsincere posted:

Thanks TB for making me sad before bed. I kinda heard about this, but I think I heard it at an age too young to really comprehend "holy poo poo that's not cool" on the level I do as an adult.

I think it's really easy for someone who is young to get that feeling because the image seems so happy on the surface and lots of movies and stuff train us to think of happy exuberant spontaneous kisses as being a great thing in every situation.

It doesn't help that it became such an iconic 'good' photo that people tend to not think about the context. Sort of the counterpart to the famous execution photo.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Yeah and odds are all of us first saw the photo as part of some slideshow set to jaunty "we won!" music in a documentary we were watching in social studies

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

But who does she hang out with????

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Wikkheiser posted:

I can respect Republicans and conservatives. Like, they might take positions I disagree with or I find immoral, but where do you draw the line? Is everyone who disagrees with you politically a piece of poo poo?

So yeah, Republicans are bad, and Navarro has opinions which I think are bad. The departure with Trump, or supporting him, is that he's a qualitatively different kind of bad. It's not a matter of differences of opinion with him but a basic test of moral character.

I feel like a lot of the things Republicans hold lovely opinions on are tests of moral character, but Trump is like the LSAT of moral character tests.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

The orange god understands my troubles.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

ImpAtom posted:

I think it's really easy for someone who is young to get that feeling because the image seems so happy on the surface and lots of movies and stuff train us to think of happy exuberant spontaneous kisses as being a great thing in every situation.

It doesn't help that it became such an iconic 'good' photo that people tend to not think about the context. Sort of the counterpart to the famous execution photo.

Yeah and odds are all of us first saw the photo as part of some slideshow set to jaunty "we won!" music in a documentary we were watching in social studies

This is basically what happened to me. Still, I'm studying in history and I'm deeply mad at the fact I never even thought hm, this is kinda hosed up.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Who wants to bet it's super obivuous and makes people even more disgusted at the deplorables?

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

That is exactly how I saw it for the first time in the 70s!

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

RIP Mike Pence's political hopes & dreams

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

PhazonLink posted:

She's a MJ12 agent.

What you want to do is was is to lay 12 land mines at the back of the plane, knowing she's going to come storming in after you talk to the terrorist. There's a loud BOOM and there's pieces of her all over the inside of an otherwise undamaged plane.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

HorseRenoir posted:

Couldn't happen to a nicer man.

Oh wait, yeah it could. I forgot that Pence is a low rent Cruz missile.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

HorseRenoir posted:

Trump told him he would change.

This time will be better thinks Pence.

This time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lightning Knight posted:

This is basically what happened to me. Still, I'm studying in history and I'm deeply mad at the fact I never even thought hm, this is kinda hosed up.

• Locked thread