Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.

Flesh Forge posted:

Yeah they're made worse by usually having a kill all requirement and being loving gigantic. Also practically every spawn has a travel power disable guy, really kind of a dumb design decision there.

The travel power thing was the whole game at launch. Was part of why it flopped so hard out of the gate, was that the game in beta and the game at launch were vastly different cause they nerfed just about everything in a patch on launch day and added travel power disable guys to every single enemy group. Pretty much any enemy that pulls or stuns or knockbacks used to strip travel powers too, it was horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
In all fairness, not having enemies that can strip travel powers would make non-flying melee enemies pretty useless outside of their charge. Also make Flight the only real travel to take.

They just went overboard on making too many enemies capable of this, when it just needed to be enemy types with grounded melee.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Yeah, it's a useful mechanic but when literally every mob you run past on the way to something else pulls you over or knocks you down and forces you to stop and fight them, it gets really old really quickly.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

The sheer amount of knockbacks and stuns and such in this game are obnoxious and it's really one of the weaker points of its combat. It's fun when the player is smacking people around, it's a lot less so when you're fighting anything even vaguely challenging and getting juggled for ten seconds before you can do anything. :geno:

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Yeah but most of those have huge wind-ups and you can z out of stuns and other stuff. Plus you can block.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006

Asimo posted:

The sheer amount of knockbacks and stuns and such in this game are obnoxious and it's really one of the weaker points of its combat. It's fun when the player is smacking people around, it's a lot less so when you're fighting anything even vaguely challenging and getting juggled for ten seconds before you can do anything. :geno:

Made even worse by the fact that there's no way at all to stop them. Strength supposedly gives knockback resistance but all that does is make it knock you less distance. Doesn't actually change the time you're juggled for at all. And blocking, which is supposed to stop knockback while held, is actually a complete toss up whether it does or not because this game's netcode is a pile of wet spaghetti. So no matter what your build, unless you're just blocking constantly you get juggled every few seconds regardless and it's stupid and annoying and makes me miss CoH's mez protection enhancements and powers that actually did something useful instead of being a waste of a stat.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

If you were getting cc'd while blocking I am wondering if you were blocking during the charge-up or at the last possible moment of a charge-up. If it was the latter, then I'd say that you were waiting too long to block. It might have also helped to have ranked up your block power but I really don't know about that because I've never really had a problem with too much CC. Now Brickbusters on the other hand...

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Usually in what should be plenty of time, a full second or more before the charge up ends. And then knocked anyway because my block didn't register on the servers. The joys of playing games with bad netcode from the other side of the world.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Hey costume queens, I've been working on a 3d character model (female) that will probably never be used in a video game but in any case I'm doing costumes and stuff for her for a while and if any of you have some things you'd like to see a superhero game character wear, feel free to post ideas. Tights are totally fine, anything else idk maybe :shrug:

If you're curious about the whole modeling process, it starts on page 6

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Trip Report: Me and a random guy duo'd the first couple floors of TA up to Medusa. I've had no trouble tanking just about everything I've run into in this game from assorted AP bosses to Onslaught villains and all alert bosses, but she really ups the ante with her damage output. I think I would have done better if I didn't qualify myself for a lunge by trying to work gimmicks, but UGH god drat. I hope the gear is worth the trouble of this raid because TA is a loving drag.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

Langosta Whiteman posted:

Trip Report: Me and a random guy duo'd the first couple floors of TA up to Medusa.

Yeah no you need a full team of 5 people to run TA. That lair does not gently caress around.

Like even then, Medusa is the easy one. Aside from her mind bombs (which need at least 3 people to collect all 6 of them) she actually does pretty average damage. Theoretically the other bosses can be done with less than 3 people, but it would require extremely powerful characters.

I don't even know why that lair has trash mob floors, they just kind of waste time compared to the much more involved bosses. They give a really bad false impression about how difficult the lair actually is.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

just gonna leave this here because I am pretty chuffed about it

everything you see was modeled from scratch by me

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Bluhman posted:

I don't even know why that lair has trash mob floors, they just kind of waste time compared to the much more involved bosses. They give a really bad false impression about how difficult the lair actually is.

I don't even know why this GAME has trash mob floors. gently caress trash mobs.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

LordSaturn posted:

I don't even know why this GAME has trash mob floors. gently caress trash mobs.

Byproduct of when internet speeds and netcode were too garbo to have entertaining gameplay, so the goal was to keep the player busy instead of making them want to replay stuff

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The trash is the only fun thing to fight in this game.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
The Anniversary event just started today. Log in and get a free gravbike and the usual misc swag.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Oh huh, some new costume bits for it too. Or were those in last year? Well, whatever, free crap for a dead game. :toot:

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Asimo posted:

Oh huh, some new costume bits for it too. Or were those in last year? Well, whatever, free crap for a dead game. :toot:

Are we talking about the sparkly anniversary stuff, or did they add something someone might actually think about using?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Nah just those, just some things like sparkly bell bottoms and crap so nothing most people really give a drat about. I probably missed it being added last year since I barely play this now. :effort:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Thanks for the heads up, I never bothered to try a vehicle before.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

They're kind of really underwhelming unless you go in all and min-max them with stupid amounts of wealth and luck.

But even a pokey vehicle is still a lot faster than travel powers, so a free one's nice to have to zip across maps quick once you need to hand in quests and such. Or to make taking something like Tunneling or Acrobatics as your first travel power be a bit less suicide-inducing.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Flesh Forge posted:

just gonna leave this here because I am pretty chuffed about it

everything you see was modeled from scratch by me

I am the botoxed butt cheeks.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Asimo posted:

They're kind of really underwhelming unless you go in all and min-max them with stupid amounts of wealth and luck.

But even a pokey vehicle is still a lot faster than travel powers, so a free one's nice to have to zip across maps quick once you need to hand in quests and such. Or to make taking something like Tunneling or Acrobatics as your first travel power be a bit less suicide-inducing.

A free grav bike is a really good to have from my POV because I take Athletics as a first travel power on a lot of toons because gently caress moving around instances at the default run speed.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Freeform slots are half off this weekend apparently? They don't do that often (I think just once or twice before?) and they're usually absurdly overpriced, so if you still play this I guess now's as good a time as any to grab one. :effort:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Oh hey, a complete sorcery revamp out of nowhere and it's probably the single best powerset that literally does everything? :toot: All four branches were combined into one, most of the powers were given assorted new buffs/debuffs (like an enhancement that lets Arcane blast apply Illumination to you, your allies, and the target), you get an AoE attack early now (and invocation of storm summoning is really good), there's an energy form slotted passive and an energy recovery passive, and pillar of poz is actually good. (It now has no knockback by default, can apply a bunch of different potential debuffs depending on the enhancements, and leaves an AoE healing zone, with the only downside being a shortish recharge). It can do damage, it can crowd control, it can heal, and it can probably even tank considering the multiple ways to layer damage debuffs on top of aura of arcane protection. There's a new ranged DPS magic archetype too if you don't have a freeform slot handy.

Of course this doesn't change the fact there's still only the barest trickle of content or any reason to really log in but hey, whatever.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

There's new content for 40s, the Qliphothic Warzone.

It's bonkers and impossible to solo!

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Just what a dying game with like 50 active players needs! :woop:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And 13 are Bluhman.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
Hey now. Bad roleplay in the two available nightclubs in this game and the hide-outs counts as playing still :stonklol:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Wait, two? :raise:

Mystic Cave zOWNd
Dec 22, 2006

Trixie bravely turned her tail and fled

And there was much rejoicing.
There's the Minefield in Vibora. I seem to remember we crashed the joint the first night it was open, good times.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mystic Cave zOWNd posted:

There's the Minefield in Vibora. I seem to remember we crashed the joint the first night it was open, good times.

When I went to Vibora a year or two ago (whenever I last played this) I honestly thought it was an instance for ages because I didn't see another player.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yeah the dumb thing with Vibora is the content is all leveled 37-39, but it's very possible to level from 37-40 just doing the unlock content so when you finally get access to it everything is green/blue. It's the best argument against leveled content in any game I've seen, and I thought Cryptic had learned their lesson with that kind of thing (e.g. all of the "Story Arc" content is not leveled, it uses the skull level system) but nope, they went back to strict level-based/gear tier poo poo for this new zone :shrug:

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.
PowerHouse http://powerhouse.nullware.com/

Link to this build: http://powerhouse.nullware.com/powerhouse.html?v=13&n=&d=1624U624SHJ0000700474007G007P037Q03LC057R03N5033G008J009G007S04000000000nHy3VPA3Svt

Name:

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
Level 6: Presence (Primary)
Level 10: Dexterity (Secondary)
Level 15: Intelligence (Secondary)

Talents:
Level 1: The Inventor
Level 6: Intimidating
Level 9: Agile
Level 12: Brilliant
Level 15: Diplomatic
Level 18: Coordinated
Level 21: Finesse

Powers:
Level 1: Sonic Blaster (Refraction of Sound)
Level 1: Pulse Beam Rifle
Level 6: Molecular Self-Assembly
Level 8: Munitions Bots (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 11: Support Drones (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 14: Ritual of Arcane Summoning (Rank 2, Unbound Ritual)
Level 17: Attack Toys (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 20: Aura of Ebon Destruction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 23: Inertial Dampening Field
Level 26: Implosion Engine
Level 29: Energy Shield
Level 32: Orbital Cannon (Anvil of Dawn)
Level 35:
Level 38:

Travel Powers:
Level 6:
Level 35:

Specializations:
Presence: Selfless Ally (2/2)
Presence: Grandeur (3/3)
Presence: Moment of Glory (3/3)
Presence: Force of Will (2/2)
Commander: Rapid Response (2/2)
Commander: Multitasker (3/3)
Commander: Well Trained (2/2)
Commander: Savage (3/3)
Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
Guardian: Locus (2/2)
Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
Guardian: The Best Defense (3/3)
Mastery: Commander Mastery (1/1)

A long time back I played a techy petmaster and had a blast so I thought I'd try it again. I skimmed a few posts then threw that together so it's probably terrible. I vaguely remember using Aura of Primal Majesty but I hear Ebon Destruction is good now? Also Dexterity because I read pets inherit crit and saw it on a couple of petmaster builds. Don't really care about endgame this is just for leveling and some alerts. All I care about though is flying around on a hoverboard with an army of robots and tossing out some cool tech attacks so I'm not attached to much. Any help appreciated.

DryGoods fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Nov 13, 2016

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Maybe you could get some kind of AoE that doesn't have a cooldown, since it looks like you're only AoE attacks are orbital cannon and implosion engine. Then again, I don't know how good toys and bots are at AoE so you might be fine with what you have.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Powerhouse has been abandoned. Another CO player picked the project up and adapted it into HeroCreator here:

http://aesica.net/co/herocreator.htm

Includes all the newer powers; new pistol attacks, the new sorcery/infernal stuff, modified advantages in various powersets, so on and so forth.

Ebon Destruction is still the best option for pet master builds, since it generates tons of extra damage as your pets land criticals. That basically is the only real purpose of your pets, by the way - to land criticals, because their damage alone is pretty moderate. The damage boost passive effect also helps.

If you're gonna help with your own attacks at the same time, totally suggest picking up a defense debuff attack to aid with your powers. All things said, having a debuff like that is what really sets OK DPS from great DPS. Your build seems to use Pulse Beam Rifle, which would pair well with Chest Beam, since that debuffs Particle resistance and is also a great AoE in itself.

Most robot pets don't aren't like this, but as far as I'm concerned, temporary pets are way better than permanent ones. They put out more damage, are much less likely to accidentally aggro other enemies, and can activate MSA. I'd actually take a look at adding in storm sigils or something, as those also count as pets and can gain the same benefits that other pets do.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
Anyone want to give me an end-game offensive or debuff (or a mix of both!) build based off the new sorcery powers? I've never been good and building for end-game poo poo, gravitar, etc. Really enjoying the new sorcery powerset but I'd like to take it into harder content.

Edit: Freeform.

whatspeakyou fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 27, 2016

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Congrats, CO. you made it after all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZUxrJhIHnU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 43 hours!

I absolutely adore that Monster Factory is all about making the most bizarre creatures from the world's strangest fever dreams, using character creation to basically make abstract art... and then CO comes by and nearly matches them with just the random button, followed by overwhelming them with one hand tied behind its back. They've drat near met their match here.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jan 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Oh hey what a coincidence I was just looking here for info on CO because of Monster Factory making me all melancholic for City of Heroes. So, there's some stuff I could use clarification on. If I paid for a month's subscription and then stopped, what exactly do I lose compared to what I keep? From what I can gather, you have to completely respec any Freeform characters as normal bland Archetype characters in order to play them again, but if you make an Archetype dude using an Archetype you didn't pay to unlock separately, does that also get locked? And are the powers listed on the Archetype literally the only things you get? Is it really just a dichotomy of paying way too much and being really, really restricted in what you can do? I'm hoping there's some sort of reasonable midpoint I haven't heard about. Would it be realistic to try to gather enough in-game currency to exchange for the Zen for a Freeform slot? Having played STO, which employs a similar system, I'm guessing it's not, but may as well ask.