Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
Maggie Q is poo poo in this show. I've never seen her in anything else, but good god she's awful.

Robot says line. Robot looks off into distance. Bleep Bloop.

Her, combined with the teen son (90's Jason Gordon Levit redux) make the show nearly unwatchable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Echo Chamber posted:

More realistically, the dude probably shouldn't have become CoS after undermining the president with that leak, even if he justifies it as acting on the president's interests.

Yes, Kirkman is a bad leader. He allows the Michigan governor to go unpunished, can't decide who to hire, and then finally hires the guy who was wildly insubordinate.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Holyshoot posted:

Also where are all the dignitaries and heads of state from other countries? In London has Fallen everyone went to the UK Prime ministers death. Didn't look that way for the President of the Unites States of America funeral.
I could flimsily justify this with the government being stretched to thin to be able to protect other heads of state. The Secret Service has been partially wiped out, and coordinating security with other countries after a huge attack on the capital is a logistical nightmare.

It's a rushed state funeral to legitimize the awkward transition to a new POTUS.

Ultimately, they're bending a lot of the rules of how it would work IRL, and it's best to not think too hard about it. But that won't stop me.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
Appointing the guy who just loving leaked highly classified videos to the media to Chief of Staff is incredibly stupid, no matter how you justify it.

Latest episode was really really dumb.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

Appointing the guy who just loving leaked highly classified videos to the media to Chief of Staff is incredibly stupid, no matter how you justify it.

Latest episode was really really dumb.

But how else will the mole plot work!

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

ElwoodCuse posted:

Did you watch 24? Even aside from JACK BAUER this show is basically 24 without an on-screen body count. So far I think it's enjoyably silly bad, not boring bad.

Yeah but 24 actually took many seasons to crank itself up to the delightfully ridiculous point where, for example, Jack Bauer can hijack Marine One and kidnap the President with three people onside and half an hour prep time. Whereas this show has kicked off with the insanity already starting but with characters we don't care about yet.

Apart from bad writing and bad acting, the turn towards ~Capitol Hill Backstabbing~ while there's still smoke coming up from the ruins is both unrealistic and boring. We already have a House of Cards. I'd rather watch a show about a well-intentioned but inexperienced, slapped-together cross-aisle cabinet doing their best to cope during an unprecedented disaster. That would at least be original.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

This show would be so much better if they just focused on actually presidenting after a major disaster and less about who's coup d'etating today

futurememory
Oct 22, 2011

"You're a bad man! You're a VERY bad man!"

Crusty Nutsack posted:

This show would be so much better if they just focused on actually presidenting after a major disaster and less about who's coup d'etating today

This. I was really intrigued by the idea of them exploring how to rebuild the government and the political jockeying that would ensue because of that. Bored to tears over hackers, anarchic Michigan governors, and drug-dealing hellspawn.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
It didn't bother any of you that putting a file on the president's laptop made all the lights in the White House flicker?

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

That was mad stupid too. Or even the stupidity of shutting off the power to access the network. The computer you were trying to put the file on would have shut off, or lost wireless connection because all the access points are dead, so how was that plan ever going to work?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Phummus posted:

Maggie Q is poo poo in this show. I've never seen her in anything else, but good god she's awful.

Robot says line. Robot looks off into distance. Bleep Bloop.

Her, combined with the teen son (90's Jason Gordon Levit redux) make the show nearly unwatchable.

She also ruined the series Nikita, which really had me steamed because I absolutely loved La Femme Nikita.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

futurememory posted:

This. I was really intrigued by the idea of them exploring how to rebuild the government and the political jockeying that would ensue because of that. Bored to tears over hackers, anarchic Michigan governors, and drug-dealing hellspawn.

More than anything all these almost-catastrophes feel really half-rear end to me. It's like they don't know where they want to take the show? If they wanted to go at it with further conflict after the disaster, then why not make a show that caters to freep wet dreams about glassing the middle east or whatever? And if they want to make it a smart, political show then why have any of this poo poo at all?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
I loved how long it took the Secret Service to get to POTUS when there clearly was an incident at the White House. You'd think their first impulse once anything unexpected happens is to get eyes on the president, especially not even 2days after THE WHOLE GOVERNMENT was killed.

freebooter posted:

"I'm writing the speech for your father's eulogy. We were hoping you'd have something personal to say."

"My father was a great man."

This show is bad

For me that was more a give away that the father-son relationship was really bad and not so much bad writing. The bad writing was that Kirkman did not pick up on that clue.

I'm still amazed that they killed the whole Congress, save 1 designated survivor and 1 mole. I wonder how they achieved almost perfect attendance for the SOTU.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
So that FBI guy ratted Nikita out for trying to ignore the 4th amendment and steal a citizen's footage... but went ahead and stole the footage anyway? I'm not sure what that one guy missing from his seat is supposed to prove. That he was in on it? They lost footage 34 seconds before the blast. 34 seconds is not anywhere close to being enough time to actually escape the building.

It's much more likely that the survivor was heading to the can. Only someone suicidal would have stayed in that building knowing it was going to explode. There's no guarantee of a special safe zone where he could ride out the blast and then hope to not die of thirst or injuries before being dug out of the rubble.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I think I'm dropping out on this show, it's super disappointing for a potentially cool premise, haven't seen the new episode yet though, I assume it's not suddenly amazing right?

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

So that FBI guy ratted Nikita out for trying to ignore the 4th amendment and steal a citizen's footage... but went ahead and stole the footage anyway? I'm not sure what that one guy missing from his seat is supposed to prove. That he was in on it? They lost footage 34 seconds before the blast. 34 seconds is not anywhere close to being enough time to actually escape the building.

It's much more likely that the survivor was heading to the can. Only someone suicidal would have stayed in that building knowing it was going to explode. There's no guarantee of a special safe zone where he could ride out the blast and then hope to not die of thirst or injuries before being dug out of the rubble.

I thought it meant that the CCTV had been doctored to CGI him in and he wasn't really there.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Annabel Pee posted:

I thought it meant that the CCTV had been doctored to CGI him in and he wasn't really there.

That's the assumption I got from it; that maybe he just was never there, and showed up after the explosion somehow to be "rescued" and thereby plant him as a credible mole.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

sout posted:

I think I'm dropping out on this show, it's super disappointing for a potentially cool premise, haven't seen the new episode yet though, I assume it's not suddenly amazing right?

correct

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Wouldn't the designated Congress survivor have loads more power than the designated Executive survivor? I mean, she could make any law she wanted and he couldn't veto, right?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
If Kiefer was part of that SpecOps strike in Algeria next episode, the success rate would be over 100%.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

mastajake posted:

Wouldn't the designated Congress survivor have loads more power than the designated Executive survivor? I mean, she could make any law she wanted and he couldn't veto, right?

Nope. Because Congress no longer exists and isn't in session. Gotta reach a predetermined majority in both chambers to a bring forward bills, pass them, and send them to the President for a signature. 1 person does not a Congress make.

Also, as far as continuity of government goes, the only 2 members of Congress on the POTUS line of succession are the Speaker of the House and the Senate pro tem, which, since the late 1800's has been the most senior Senator.

Hypothetically, if the current government was wiped out and the only person left alive was the Senate pro tem, Orrin Hatch would be the new President.

He's an 82 year old Senator from Utah.

And with regards to veto proof bills, in order to break a veto, you need 2/3rds majority in both chambers.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Oct 13, 2016

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

I really wanted to like this, but I was hoping for more of a "recovery and rebuilding of the government" type plot and less of a "conspiracy stinger at the end of every episode" type plot.

We get it. "Lost" did very well. But that's no reason for every drat tv show to follow the same formula of continually building and never resolving storylines.

Designated Survivor just makes me tired when I watch it.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Oh cool. Thanks for clarifying.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I really like this show actually. It's like all of the ridiculousness of 24. Its great. Absurd war hawk generals are great. Crazy right wing governors are great. Scheming congresswomen are great. President totally not Jack Bauer is great. Kumar is great. I can't stop.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Last night's episode made me think of all those wingnut conspiracy people on facebook who claim they want a revolution because the gub'ment gonna take are guns or whatever. The idea that the military would refuse an order from the President is just so absurd to me. It's neat that the crazy governor got arrested and all, and presumably that national guard general will get court-martialed; but, I also thought that the Michigan thing was a one-off yet here we are having dealt with it again. I will not be surprised if it becomes a running thing despite being dumb and already put to bed.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I don't know why they even tried having it neatly resolved when they would just go back to the nuclear option literally the next episode.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

good lord, i didn't think a show about Jack Bauer, Dad President with some dude who looks like an off-brand Virgil from Homeland ruling the sovereign nation of Michigan with an iron fist could go wrong but it's not even funny-bad, it's just kind of boring and cringey.

i'll probably keep watching for another episode or two though :v:

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

MiddleOne posted:

I don't know why they even tried having it neatly resolved when they would just go back to the nuclear option literally the next episode.

Arresting the dude for treason is hardly the nuclear option. The nuclear option would be "Fine, if the state of Michigan no longer wishes to participate as a part of the US, citizens of Michigan will need Michigan passports to enter the US. We'll start on trade talks next year to establish terms, and I'm tasking ICE with setting up border patrol stations on all major freeways into and out of Michigan. Oh and if you prevent US citizens from leaving Michigan that's an act of war. Enjoy your frozen hellhole when shipments of gas, oil, and coal stop showing up and we shut down the pipeline."

Realistic? No. But neither is blowing up the Capitol when the State of the Union is taking place.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Man I was really, really getting into this latest episode until the "FIND ROOM 105" bullshit. That was loving stupid.

At least there wasn't any "oh no my son is a drug dealer" bullshit. A whole episode without Kirkman's children showing up is a pro in my book.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Ningyou posted:

good lord, i didn't think a show about Jack Bauer, Dad President with some dude who looks like an off-brand Virgil from Homeland ruling the sovereign nation of Michigan with an iron fist could go wrong but it's not even funny-bad, it's just kind of boring and cringey.

i'll probably keep watching for another episode or two though :v:
This show doesn't focus on anything that's intriguing from the premise. It feels more about the US dealing with a terrorist attack than Kirkman being the designated survivor.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Execute the governor. :black101:

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

I'm still trying to figure out why "suspend the rights of American citizens, arrest people for skin color, and deport Muslims" was something the governor was okay with and encouraged being televised, but "detain all the protesters" was off limits for him.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Does 9/11 exist in this world? because lol people getting worked up about not finding the mastermind in 4 days.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

nooneofconsequence posted:

Does 9/11 exist in this world? because lol people getting worked up about not finding the mastermind in 4 days.

9/11 was indeed mentioned during a White House walk-and-talk.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
Maaan this show went downhill really fast in episodes 3 and 4.

I can't put my finger on it but you can just tell it's a derivative ABC show.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Gawain The Blind posted:

I really wanted to like this, but I was hoping for more of a "recovery and rebuilding of the government" type plot

No network on earth would order that show. You'd be lucky to get a 2-hour History Channel special about it (they're the ones who do MEGADISASTERS, right?).

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
I think we can all agree, the only thing that can save this show is if President Kirkman starts sneaking out at night in a baseball cap and snappin' necks.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

MrBuddyLee posted:

I think we can all agree, the only thing that can save this show is if President Kirkman starts sneaking out at night in a baseball cap and snappin' necks.

Torturing dudes for information with power drills and improvised lamp cord electric shocks while taking heroin to go undercover in a drug cartel.

As a B plot, his kid runs from a cougar on the loose in DC.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

FogHelmut posted:

As a B plot, his kid runs from a cougar on the loose in DC.

Hey, show some respect, she's a Congresswoman!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

FogHelmut posted:

Torturing dudes for information with power drills and improvised lamp cord electric shocks while taking heroin to go undercover in a drug cartel.

Shooting people above the kneecap. :allears:

• Locked thread