Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Deceitful Penguin posted:

See, what saves these pirates is that there is a core of actual, experienced people; it started with Birgitta, who is good and left wing and saved the party, and then you have people like Helgi Hrafn, who I disagree with on almost everything and personally dislike but I can admit he's principled and at least does some good things.

Birgitta, especially, has stopped the party from being a joke, which is why she makes so many lolberts in the party mad. Those people are honestly little different to the young republicans or any other right-wing youth league; lots rich, white, privileged people that think "Freedom" is the most important thing in the world.
http://www.theguardian.com/news/commentisfree/2016/apr/06/2009-icelanders-farce-president-prime-minister-charlatans-hyprocrisy

Hahahaha, yep! You can't make this poo poo up!!

Between this and the Minister of Fishing becoming PM, it almost does sound like fiction!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
That's just the way Iceland works. We make a joke of life in general and us specific.

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013

The left wing parties, well. Samfylkingin in still unprepared; they haven't had the new chairman vote and Árni is still a albatross around their neck, with a lot of propaganda still working against them. VG is as it ever was, while Katrín is popular, she isn't going to appeal to any voters they didn't have earlier. So Bjarni has to wonder if now might not be the time to strike, while they and the centre parties are being kept out.

Could you elaborate on what's so awful about Árni? I keep hearing that everybody hates him and he's the reason Samfylkingin is in such poor shape but I can't find any reason why he's so disliked.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Werewhale posted:

Could you elaborate on what's so awful about Árni? I keep hearing that everybody hates him and he's the reason Samfylkingin is in such poor shape but I can't find any reason why he's so disliked.
OH boy.

The thing is, if you ask the people who hate him why, you're gonna get some dodgy as gently caress answers. "He's too slick" "I don't trust him" "He's the four-party system personified" "He sounds like a politician".

Rarely, if ever, do you actually hear solid and material criticism (like the fact he's way too liberal and blairite) of him, but he's become, somewhat unjustly, a personification of the problems people have with Samfylkingin.

And it´s an ouroboros, because then the dislike they feel for him manifests back to Samfó, which leads to an even bigger dislike of him, et cetera.

That's the short take on it, at least.

Doktor Per
Feb 26, 2007

Look guys, I'm a lady!

Werewhale posted:

Árni stands for Christian values and old kinds of thinking, he also might just not be very likeable. Samfylkingin has a history of getting leaders that are lacking in unimportant aspects when it comes to serving in office, but are important in other ways. Jóhanna (Iceland's former PM) for an example is terrible at speeches. She really reads it from the page.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Where can I get Irn Bru?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

Where can I get Irn Bru?

Drekinn.

https://ja.is/kort/?d=hashid%3AVvllv&x=357600&y=407859&z=8&type=map

also lol I am now sjomlatips

clawed monet
Apr 4, 2012
Reposting from the other Iceland thread since I didn't get much of a response so I'll try asking here:

Hi! So I've read the thread and gotten some ideas, but was wondering what an optimal itinerary would be for a hiking-filled week long trip in October. My girlfriend and I are flying in on October 18th at 6 AM and leaving on the 25th. We love outdoorsy activities (hiking and the like) and would love to explore Iceland. The downside is that we are both grad students and don't have that much money, so whatever is not super expensive would be optimal. We want to spend a day or two in Reykjavik as well as go to the blue lagoon, but other than that, the schedule is wide open. Is it possible / a good idea to take public transport to any of the hikes/cities outside of Reykjavik, or is renting a car truly the way to go?

If it is possible to do this inexpensively, the Westman Island looks nice, http://www.vatnajokulsthjodgardur.is/english/hiking/skaftafell/ has some nice hikes it looks like, and i've heard good things about : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sn%C3%A6fellsnes - would it be possible (or practical) to do any/all of these things for a relatively inexpensive trip!?

I've been once before a few years ago, and did the ring road and some of the nice sites around the island, but this trip is shorter and our funds are more constricted.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Lemme think

IMPORTANT: Put the real dates you'd be travelling into the strætó website, because they'll have abandoned their summer schedule by the time you get here. This schedule, alas, is shittier and you now lack the options you'd have had earlier (including me sneaking you on my bus) but on the other hand, the crowd is way smaller.

Arright, you can take the public bus to Landeyjahöfn, then get a ticket at these times here.

October is late enough that Strætó is your only inexpensive option; there's also the problem that you're fairly late in the year so it's gonna get dark pretty early. Better hope you're an A person who loves mornings!

From Landeyjahöfn you go back to Hvolsvöllur, then you can go Skaftafell.

Do you have a tent? If not, you should realize that there's a hotel, but it's fairly far away from the park itself. If you've been using the bus, you've already saved a shitload compared to car rentals, but this is the part where things get more tricky.

If you have a car, continuing forwards to Höfn and then the east fjords ain't no thang, just keep driving then leave the number 1 road; spectacular hikes and beautiful mountain villages will be yours, so long as you know how to drive on gravel.

If you took the bus, your wisest choice might be to either just go to Höfn (it's a nice place) or return to Reykjavík. This route right here will get you through a bunch of Snæfellsnes, just pick the area you wanna get out at, I haven't really hiked there, just gone to pick chantarelles.

I´d honestly suggest the ~secret lagoon~ over the Blue Lagoon, but I guess it's gotten to be kind of a thing. Also, if you just want the hot water and an Icelandic experience, an Icelandic swimming pool, with its hot tubs, wading pools and saunas (and slides!) is honestly way better. My fav is Álftaneslaug, where you also get the wave pool, steam room and one of the best slides in the country, while also being just a bit away from the crowd so its more of a chill place.

Also it's cheap as hell and a great time. As for things to do in Reykjavík; Bíó Paradís has Icelandic movies with English subtitles, and the penis museum is a must. Other than that, I gotta know your preferences on poo poo.

You know about Bónus right? Prices in restaurants are nigh universally high so you got pretty limited options for cheap eats, alas.

edit: lol shoulda checked my urls

clawed monet
Apr 4, 2012

Lemme think

IMPORTANT: Put the real dates you'd be travelling into the strætó website, because they'll have abandoned their summer schedule by the time you get here. This schedule, alas, is shittier and you now lack the options you'd have had earlier (including me sneaking you on my bus) but on the other hand, the crowd is way smaller.

Arright, you can take the public bus to Landeyjahöfn, then get a ticket at these times here.

October is late enough that Strætó is your only inexpensive option; there's also the problem that you're fairly late in the year so it's gonna get dark pretty early. Better hope you're an A person who loves mornings!

From Landeyjahöfn you go back to Hvolsvöllur, then you can go Skaftafell.

Do you have a tent? If not, you should realize that there's a hotel, but it's fairly far away from the park itself. If you've been using the bus, you've already saved a shitload compared to car rentals, but this is the part where things get more tricky.

If you have a car, continuing forwards to Höfn and then the east fjords ain't no thang, just keep driving then leave the number 1 road; spectacular hikes and beautiful mountain villages will be yours, so long as you know how to drive on gravel.

If you took the bus, your wisest choice might be to either just go to Höfn (it's a nice place) or return to Reykjavík. This route right here will get you through a bunch of Snæfellsnes, just pick the area you wanna get out at, I haven't really hiked there, just gone to pick chantarelles.

I´d honestly suggest the ~secret lagoon~ over the Blue Lagoon, but I guess it's gotten to be kind of a thing. Also, if you just want the hot water and an Icelandic experience, an Icelandic swimming pool, with its hot tubs, wading pools and saunas (and slides!) is honestly way better. My fav is Álftaneslaug, where you also get the wave pool, steam room and one of the best slides in the country, while also being just a bit away from the crowd so its more of a chill place.

Also it's cheap as hell and a great time. As for things to do in Reykjavík; Bíó Paradís has Icelandic movies with English subtitles, and the penis museum is a must. Other than that, I gotta know your preferences on poo poo.

You know about Bónus right? Prices in restaurants are nigh universally high so you got pretty limited options for cheap eats, alas.

edit: lol shoulda checked my urls

Ok awesome! Thank you for all the great advice and the bus websites and everything. She and I are both ok with early mornings and are more than willing to start as early as needed. We don't have a tent but we have friends who do and we can see if it is alright to borrow it. The one downside is that we are going to a few other countries after Iceland and may not have room to pack a tent (all those budget airlines are really strict on luggage size and weight) - I'll check out the hotel distance / price and talk with her about what we should do.

And okay! The secret lagoon / icelandic swimming pools sound pretty awesome. I know she wants to go to the Blue Lagoon (as well?) because of the name, and I also really liked the restaurant when I went there and wouldn't mind eating there again (though it was pretty expensive).

We will check out the penis museum and the movie theatre with our down time, thank you! Any recommendations for good / not too expensive food in Reykjavik? Some good seafood / hot dogs perhaps? And yes Bonus with the pig logo right? Loved that place and their remoulade/dried fish jerky was delicious.

Thank you again btw!

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
How hard is it to move to Iceland? (not sure if this was already asked, sorry if it was) I'm only half serious, but I'm from Minnesota originally and the atmosphere felt really familiar and appealing to me when I went in January. Also I want to hug all the ponies forever.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

clawed monet posted:

Ok awesome! Thank you for all the great advice and the bus websites and everything. She and I are both ok with early mornings and are more than willing to start as early as needed. We don't have a tent but we have friends who do and we can see if it is alright to borrow it. The one downside is that we are going to a few other countries after Iceland and may not have room to pack a tent (all those budget airlines are really strict on luggage size and weight) - I'll check out the hotel distance / price and talk with her about what we should do.

And okay! The secret lagoon / icelandic swimming pools sound pretty awesome. I know she wants to go to the Blue Lagoon (as well?) because of the name, and I also really liked the restaurant when I went there and wouldn't mind eating there again (though it was pretty expensive).

We will check out the penis museum and the movie theatre with our down time, thank you! Any recommendations for good / not too expensive food in Reykjavik? Some good seafood / hot dogs perhaps? And yes Bonus with the pig logo right? Loved that place and their remoulade/dried fish jerky was delicious.

Thank you again btw!
I'm afraid that if you want inexpensive food, Iceland isn't the place to go, especially if you don't have a car, alas.

Nepalese Kitchen is great, as is Noodle Station and both are fairly close to the bus hub and the city centre. On the same street, a bit further up is Ban Thai, so that's you settled if you dig Asian. Noodle station is the only one that could maybe be called "cheap" if you squint at it though. Tbh, everything is so expensive in Iceland when it comes to eating out that my recommendation is to go all out really and not worry about it, though obviously this doesn't work for everyone.

For seafood, the corner around the Sea Baron has 3 good places, though I haven't been there for years, alas. I keep meaning to go and try and get discounts so I can justify it, but cooking for myself is just so cheaper yanno? Grillmarkaðurinn was my other go-to place for fancy seafood eats.

The Hot Dog stand Bæjarins Bestu was good enough for Clinton, known hotdogger, so that would be my recommendation. IKEA is cheapest but getting there is a hassle.

And yeah, Bónus is the smug pig.

CherryCola posted:

How hard is it to move to Iceland? (not sure if this was already asked, sorry if it was) I'm only half serious, but I'm from Minnesota originally and the atmosphere felt really familiar and appealing to me when I went in January. Also I want to hug all the ponies forever.
Very, for you. If you're not an EU citizen, you're all grouped into the third world; in which case you either want to have an extremely specific skillset that gets you in or marry an Icelander.

Those are the only main ones, but you can start with a study program at least, it's a bit complex but it allows you to learn the language and see if you actually want to stay here; Speaking Icelandic is a serious prerequisite for any serious job in Iceland that isn't one of those aforementioned extremely specific skilled ones.

Alas, alas

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

clawed monet posted:

And okay! The secret lagoon / icelandic swimming pools sound pretty awesome.

We will check out the penis museum and the movie theatre with our down time, thank you!

I found the penis museum to be mediocre, ymmv.

There's a geocache at the DC-10 abandoned plane on the black sands near Vik - it's a heckuva hike though.

If you make it to the Hella city pool, check the lost and found as she left a hairbrush there.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
All those pale peckers are of course a matter of taste

But dang if you don't just move the fence and drive in your 4x4 like I did to see the plane. I ain't walking through no drat sands like a Bedouin

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

CherryCola posted:

I feel your pain, I had decided within about an hour of landing in Iceland the first time that I had never wanted to move somewhere so badly. And that feeling has never dissipated in the month or so I have spent there over the following years. I mean, I understand it would not be exciting anymore if I somehow did manage to move there, but I dunno. It helps that I rarely feel at home even in my own country, and in Iceland everyone spoke to me in Icelandic assuming I was one of THEM and it made me instantly like "awww I wish I were ;("

I also have plans to frame my Bónus pig bag

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Dr. Quarex posted:

I feel your pain, I had decided within about an hour of landing in Iceland the first time that I had never wanted to move somewhere so badly. And that feeling has never dissipated in the month or so I have spent there over the following years. I mean, I understand it would not be exciting anymore if I somehow did manage to move there, but I dunno. It helps that I rarely feel at home even in my own country, and in Iceland everyone spoke to me in Icelandic assuming I was one of THEM and it made me instantly like "awww I wish I were ;("

I also have plans to frame my Bónus pig bag
I vaguely remembered them making framed pics with their logo but on further googling that was a misremembered article on Baggalútur where they were making a joke about them selling 'euroshopper' brand paintings

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Quarex posted:

It helps that I rarely feel at home even in my own country, and in Iceland everyone spoke to me in Icelandic assuming I was one of THEM and it made me instantly like "awww I wish I were ;("

Here's another perspective:

While my girlfriend (German and Norwegian) and I (trace amounts of Scandinavian) were in Iceland I found that I always got an English greeting from people we interacted with while she got Icelandic.

I probably unconsciously exude America (no, not *that* way) too, Minnesota midwestern born and raised.

Didn't care, had a wonderful time.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

I vaguely remembered them making framed pics with their logo but on further googling that was a misremembered article on Baggalútur where they were making a joke about them selling 'euroshopper' brand paintings
That would have been so amazing. I love that pig more than I can ever truly understand.

Zahgaegun posted:

While my girlfriend (German and Norwegian) and I (trace amounts of Scandinavian) were in Iceland I found that I always got an English greeting from people we interacted with while she got Icelandic.

I probably unconsciously exude America (no, not *that* way) too, Minnesota midwestern born and raised.

Didn't care, had a wonderful time.
Yeah they definitely do not treat everyone as locals; in a story I may have already told in this very thread, we were in Iceland with an Italian-American and I swear he got stares like he was the least white person a lot of people had ever seen. Though he said he never felt unwelcome, just, you know... noticed.

Meanwhile it was nice for me to NOT get stares for a change. They are accustomed to seeing Vikings on the street there, obvz.

clawed monet
Apr 4, 2012
So I would love some more advice please! My gf and I looked at the prices of renting a car and it was much less expensive than I initially thought, so we are getting a tiny little two seater for our trip. Here is the current itinerary and we are looking for some more ideas to do stuff the last few days and was wondering if I could get some more input. I have taken lots of notes about places to go / eat (hot dogs, sea food) from this thread and am very thankful that it exists! Also the parentheses are more notes for myself to remind myself what everything is lol. We are a little hesitant to do the entire ring road because we have a small little car and if the weather turned, we would be helpless!

10/18: Arrive in Iceland at 6:30 AM. Pick up the car and go to Reykjavik for the day. Check out the harbor, church, walk around the city, etc. Sleep in Hostel/AirBnB. Maybe: thrihnukagigur volcano if there is time/we are not too exhausted

10/19: Drive and do the golden circle: Thingvellir National Park (flosagja fissure, oxararfoss waterfall), Strokkur Geysir, Gullfoss Waterfall, Kerid crater lake (Collapsed volcano)?, Hveragerdi (http://www.hveragerdi.is/English/) a little town where you can hike/explore with popular hike: Reykjadalur, perhaps the secretlaggon.is, dinner in reykjavik

10/20: Start driving east and end up in Jokulsarlon. Sites along the way: Skogafoss, Vik (black sand beach), Seljalandsfoss, Fjadrargljufur canyon (maybe on way back West) Stay in: Vagnsstaðir (?)

10/21 Drive West to end up in Vik. On the drive west, stop by the Skaftafell national park and hike and explore all day. At night drive to abandoned plane (Solheimasandur plane ) maybe see northern lights

10/22 Drive West: (maybe solheimajokull glacier, myrdasjokull, etc) ??

10/23 ??

10/24 ??

10/25: blue lagoon at noon, lunch at lava at 2 pm, flight out at 8:30

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
From what i understand, Iceland was the first nation to every elect a female president. However. I've heard that in Iceland the president is nothing but a figurehead. Is that true?

Doktor Per
Feb 26, 2007

Look guys, I'm a lady!

punk rebel ecks posted:

From what i understand, Iceland was the first nation to every elect a female president. However. I've heard that in Iceland the president is nothing but a figurehead. Is that true?

Debatable, during the Vigdís Finnbogadóttir years and prior to that, yes certainly. However Ólafur Ragnar Grímsson (who finally left the presidency this year) changed this nature by using his ability to not pass a law, and thus set a precedent. Who knows which way our new president will swing!

Vigdís Finnbogadóttir agonized over having to sign a law prohibiting stewardesses to strike, she had been one before becoming president.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Doktor Per posted:

Vigdís Finnbogadóttir agonized over having to sign a law prohibiting stewardesses to strike, she had been one before becoming president.

She didn't veto such a bill!?!?!?

Doktor Per
Feb 26, 2007

Look guys, I'm a lady!

punk rebel ecks posted:

She didn't veto such a bill!?!?!?

Nope :( I find it to be the the darkest moment of her presidency, which was otherwise only positive.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Doktor Per posted:

Nope :( I find it to be the the darkest moment of her presidency, which was otherwise only positive.

So she had virtually no power at all?

The celebration of being "the first woman president" was moot?

Doktor Per
Feb 26, 2007

Look guys, I'm a lady!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Pretty much on the first account.

However she did come out of a wave of really powerful women in the realm of politics, that really made history at the time. I don't believe it to be a moot celebration, as in many ways the President is our hype-man.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

clawed monet posted:

So I would love some more advice please! My gf and I looked at the prices of renting a car and it was much less expensive than I initially thought, so we are getting a tiny little two seater for our trip. Here is the current itinerary and we are looking for some more ideas to do stuff the last few days and was wondering if I could get some more input. I have taken lots of notes about places to go / eat (hot dogs, sea food) from this thread and am very thankful that it exists! Also the parentheses are more notes for myself to remind myself what everything is lol. We are a little hesitant to do the entire ring road because we have a small little car and if the weather turned, we would be helpless!

10/18: Arrive in Iceland at 6:30 AM. Pick up the car and go to Reykjavik for the day. Check out the harbor, church, walk around the city, etc. Sleep in Hostel/AirBnB. Maybe: thrihnukagigur volcano if there is time/we are not too exhausted

10/19: Drive and do the golden circle: Thingvellir National Park (flosagja fissure, oxararfoss waterfall), Strokkur Geysir, Gullfoss Waterfall, Kerid crater lake (Collapsed volcano)?, Hveragerdi (http://www.hveragerdi.is/English/) a little town where you can hike/explore with popular hike: Reykjadalur, perhaps the secretlaggon.is, dinner in reykjavik
Yea all this looks reasonable enough I guess, thought the Reykjadalur hike can be a bit trying after all that; you could just as well get something to eat in Hveragerði. i'd recommend the Heilsustofnun, the local sanitarium that serves vegan food as a good place to get a different bite.

clawed monet posted:

10/20: Start driving east and end up in Jokulsarlon. Sites along the way: Skogafoss, Vik (black sand beach), Seljalandsfoss, Fjadrargljufur canyon (maybe on way back West) Stay in: Vagnsstaðir (?)

10/21 Drive West to end up in Vik. On the drive west, stop by the Skaftafell national park and hike and explore all day. At night drive to abandoned plane (Solheimasandur plane ) maybe see northern lights

10/22 Drive West: (maybe solheimajokull glacier, myrdasjokull, etc) ??
Goin' east is fine, but you can't drive to the plane anymore because of a buncha morons offroading, so you'd have to walk. You can get some involved hikes in Skaftafell, at least according to my compadré who is involved with maintaining the paths there.

I uhhh, really really don't recommend you try going on any glacier by yourself. Arcanum does tours on Sólheimajökull and you can check them out, they're good people. I had a gift cert for them that I lost and therefore never used, because the gods punish me for my crimes, as is just.

You're never going to be close to Mýrdalsjökull unless you really go out of your way and if you're in a two seater (Jimny, by any chance?) you shouldn't be.

clawed monet posted:

10/23 ??

10/24 ??

10/25: blue lagoon at noon, lunch at lava at 2 pm, flight out at 8:30
Well, what would you be interested in doing? You're fairly late in year, so certain things like the geothermal greenhouses are out but you could check out the geothermal plant, you could go museum crawling, you can check out restaurants, hike Esjan, et cetera

punk rebel ecks posted:

The Presidential powers are weak compared the American presidency, but there is a lot of power both de facto, in that the president can pretty much force laws off the table and into national elections if they want to; the problem being that prior to Ólafur tradition dictated that the president not use these powers.
The same for forming governments, this is up to the president but not even Ólafur dared or found reason to be anything other than a rubber stamp once the parties decided on coalitions.

Their symbolic power isn't anything to be sneezed at either; Ólafur helped further the economic bubble by cheerleading the financial criminals, but Vigdís is beloved for her efforts in strengthening cultural institutions and especially when it comes to linguistics, she's still relevant.

So she was powerless only by choice. Time will tell whether Ólafur will remain the exception in using his presidential powers (the current president, as I mighta said, reminds me of Obama, only bleached of colour and personality, but seems to be going for the supporting the status quo) or if they'll be used more in the future.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I dislike 'traditions' like that because the President should be able to exercise his constitutional powers without being shamed for it. It's as if they want to treat him like any other Scandinavian royalty where the President's position and power is purely cosmetic, but that's not really how a Republic works.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I'm afraid it ran afoul of the most Icelandic of all things; our crippling addiction to enabling poo poo

Say what you want about being really smug and arrogant, our supposed worst attribute, it can at least sometimes get you places you wouldn't otherwise (though admittedly, this includes becoming the largest financial fuckup ever by a country) but the enablers are what really makes this country, so it's only fitting that we think of the prez as a rubber stamp machine

Doktor Per
Feb 26, 2007

Look guys, I'm a lady!
I believe our reigning president is sort of cool (I didn't vote for him.) His first task as president was showing up to hang out with mentally disabled people, looking like Mr. Bean.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Doktor Per posted:

I believe our reigning president is sort of cool (I didn't vote for him.) His first task as president was showing up to hang out with mentally disabled people, looking like Mr. Bean.

That lady in the upper right is only physically disabled yo

Doktor Per
Feb 26, 2007

Look guys, I'm a lady!

That lady in the upper right is only physically disabled yo
Good spot.

She's a congresswoman (I believe) and has done really excellent work raising awareness for the difficulties facing disabled people. Right now if you go to the city's offices across Reykjavík you will now find pamphlets regarding the sexual molestation / harassment / rape disabled women very often face.

She and the lady below her (a broadcaster on the National Broadcast for you foreign types) criticised his visit to Sólheimar, as it gathers up disabled people (mostly mentally, I believe) and takes them outside of society, where us normies don't have to see them. I was very lazy and just got the first pic I found of him in his Bean get up.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Demiurge4 posted:

I dislike 'traditions' like that because the President should be able to exercise his constitutional powers without being shamed for it. It's as if they want to treat him like any other Scandinavian royalty where the President's position and power is purely cosmetic, but that's not really how a Republic works.

That's sort of idea.

From 1918 to 1944 Iceland was in a similar situation as Canada in that it was fully independent in almost every single way except that the country still had a foreign monarch. From that point Iceland was no longer a colony of Denmark but a separate kingdom that just happened to have the same king as Denmark. When Iceland became a republic in 1944, while Denmark was still under German occupation, all they basically did was to switch out the word king for president in all mentions of the powers and responsibilities of the king and only do some very minor changes otherwise. Which results in a president that functions almost identically to a constitutional monarch except that he is elected.

In the run up to the foundation of the Republic there was a sizable chunk of Icelanders involved with the Independence movement who were still monarchists and thought the best solution was to find a new king. So they sought out a new king for Iceland among the nobility of Europe with a focus on Germany since there was a bit of a surplus of nobles there. The main candidate was the German Friedrich Christian prince of Schaumburg-Lippe. Friederic met with a group of Icelanders in 1938 but at that time he was one of the top members in Goebbels' propaganda ministry and agreed to consider the offer of kingship only if his superiors would allow it. Goebbels was all for it and even jokingly asked if the independent Iceland wouldn't need a propaganda minister. However someone above Goebbels, most likely Ribbentrop, opposed the idea so Iceland came very close to having a Nazi king in the late 30s. Now I think these talks weren't quite official and the Danish would've opposed it but if Germany had actually put their weight behind it it could very well have gone through and if that had happened I imagine the British occupation of Iceland during the war would've been a bit more of a violent invasion.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 9, 2016

clawed monet
Apr 4, 2012

Yea all this looks reasonable enough I guess, thought the Reykjadalur hike can be a bit trying after all that; you could just as well get something to eat in Hveragerði. i'd recommend the Heilsustofnun, the local sanitarium that serves vegan food as a good place to get a different bite.
Goin' east is fine, but you can't drive to the plane anymore because of a buncha morons offroading, so you'd have to walk. You can get some involved hikes in Skaftafell, at least according to my compadré who is involved with maintaining the paths there.

I uhhh, really really don't recommend you try going on any glacier by yourself. Arcanum does tours on Sólheimajökull and you can check them out, they're good people. I had a gift cert for them that I lost and therefore never used, because the gods punish me for my crimes, as is just.

You're never going to be close to Mýrdalsjökull unless you really go out of your way and if you're in a two seater (Jimny, by any chance?) you shouldn't be.

Well, what would you be interested in doing? You're fairly late in year, so certain things like the geothermal greenhouses are out but you could check out the geothermal plant, you could go museum crawling, you can check out restaurants, hike Esjan, et cetera

Ok awesome, thanks for more great advice! We nixed the glacier ideas as per your recommendations and we might look into a tour. We decided for our last few days to drive to the Snaefellsnes peninsula and explore the park and places around there (and will probably follow recommendations from this person: http://www.iheartreykjavik.net/2015/04/drive-it-yourself-the-snaefellsnes-peninsula/ ). But we do have one more question: is there exciting stuff north of there? Like not towards Akureyri, but near the west fjords region? Sadly we would only have a day or so to drive up (in a little 2 seater) there and explore.

So new itinerary:

10/22: end up in Snaefellsnes peninsula

10/23: Maybe drive into the West Fjords and stay up there (or day trip from the Snaefellsnes peninsula)

10/24: Back to reykjavik at night.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
The West Fjords are literally the only part of the country I know gently caress all about. Got family in the north and east and live in the south but just never had reason to go west.

Alas, my droog, alas

clawed monet
Apr 4, 2012

The West Fjords are literally the only part of the country I know gently caress all about. Got family in the north and east and live in the south but just never had reason to go west.

Alas, my droog, alas

Ah shucks that's okay, I really appreciate all the help and suggestions and am excited to see the country again! Hopefully with some northern lights (it was too cloudy the last time I went and didn't get to see anything)

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Bring lotsa licker also, goddamn gettin drunk here does murder on ya wallet, fuccckk

clawed monet
Apr 4, 2012
I am in Iceland right now (Hvolsvollur) and it is such an amazing time! The glaciers, hikes, fjords, everything has been so great. Now, I only have a few days left and am still deciding on what to do for my "splurge" meal. We originally were going to eat at Lava at the blue lagoon (and we still might), since I had such an amazing meal there in 2014, BUT, they recently changed their head chef, and I am not sure if the quality will be the same (especially since it is so expensive). So, we are looking for a meal that will be about 8600 kr max (though we can be a bit flexible if it really is worth it to spend a few extra bucks) and was wondering if you had any suggestions. We wanted to at least be able to order something that is unique to Iceland (e.g. puffin, reindeer, whale, etc) After some brief searching the following came up: Islenski barrin, tapas barrin, kopar, and matur og drykkur (for lunch most likely). I know about the meat and fish market but they may be a bit too expensive (again, unless they really are fantastic). So if you have been to any of those places (or different ones) and think they are great, please let me know!

Also the hotdogs from baejarins batzu are the greatest thing ever. And the cinnamon rolls from Braud and Co are so good too.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

clawed monet posted:

Also the hotdogs from Bæjarins Beztu are the greatest thing ever.
:agreed:

I miss those sometimes. Along with basically everything else I experienced in Iceland. Except maybe the time I thought I bought a little carton of milk and it ended up being cream, but since I drank it anyway I guess I cannot really complain.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

clawed monet posted:

I am in Iceland right now (Hvolsvollur) and it is such an amazing time! The glaciers, hikes, fjords, everything has been so great. Now, I only have a few days left and am still deciding on what to do for my "splurge" meal. We originally were going to eat at Lava at the blue lagoon (and we still might), since I had such an amazing meal there in 2014, BUT, they recently changed their head chef, and I am not sure if the quality will be the same (especially since it is so expensive). So, we are looking for a meal that will be about 8600 kr max (though we can be a bit flexible if it really is worth it to spend a few extra bucks) and was wondering if you had any suggestions. We wanted to at least be able to order something that is unique to Iceland (e.g. puffin, reindeer, whale, etc) After some brief searching the following came up: Islenski barrin, tapas barrin, kopar, and matur og drykkur (for lunch most likely). I know about the meat and fish market but they may be a bit too expensive (again, unless they really are fantastic). So if you have been to any of those places (or different ones) and think they are great, please let me know!

Also the hotdogs from baejarins batzu are the greatest thing ever. And the cinnamon rolls from Braud and Co are so good too.
is that 8600 per or total, ahaha

Fine dining can be dreadful that way here; it's something where I'm now woefully out of date, as now I just look at the prices and can't justify it. At least, when I'm just buying for one. :(

I did take the ex to the Tapas Bar and I found them pretty good, so I can recc them in good conscience; don't remember how "Icelandic" their options were though.

If you'd asked ahead of time, I'd have said go for the crazy option and try Dill, aha, but uhh, you probs wouldn't get a reservation in time. It's also mad expensive but it really is crazy good and they rep has only improved since I went there. Lookin' at the prices now tho, it's gotten insane. Sigh.

Dr. Quarex posted:

:agreed:

I miss those sometimes. Along with basically everything else I experienced in Iceland. Except maybe the time I thought I bought a little carton of milk and it ended up being cream, but since I drank it anyway I guess I cannot really complain.
You seriously need to just come back at some point compadré. Take the spouse wit, now that you are actually acquainted with an Icelander options open up that weren't open before

edit
also did u bring the licker also sorry for spelling, if bad lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
My icelandophilic girlfriend wants me to try havkatl and other disgusting poo poo while we're there, but I'm not really feeling it. If dining out is expensive, I'm definitely going to go for something that isn't too fermented :gonk:

• Locked thread