Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

Cojawfee posted:

Do later rackets take longer? People complain about too much repetition but for these early racket missions I'm only having to do one side mission before it tells me I've done enough damage.

I would say yes. I've ran into things where I've done all the racket missions but then have to troll around the district looking for 1 of 2 randomly generated scenarios (i.e dudes on street selling weed or dudes in cars I gotta follow) to make up the last few $

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Powershift posted:

The studio has only been around for 21 months, i think it's quite obvious what happened.

They were formed, and inherited a half-finished xbox 360 game. They then spent 7 months building a story around free-roam missions, and the next 12 months smoking weed on the company dime.

That explains why all the buildings and roads and physics and stuff are absolute garbage. The map and engine was built by a previous team for an xbox 360 gen game and pulled out of the trash and pasted together for this release.

The driving physics kind of remind me of gta iv, which is a good thing. I dunno why everything looks like vaseline is smeared on it, but there's a great game underneath it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Nuts and Gum posted:

The driving physics kind of remind me of gta iv, which is a good thing. I dunno why everything looks like vaseline is smeared on it, but there's a great game underneath it.

The driving physics on flat smooth road are fine, but as soon as you touch something or hit a bump or something it all goes to trash.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Why is there a poltergeist following Lincoln around cutscenes constantly popping his collar?

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Why is there a poltergeist following Lincoln around cutscenes constantly popping his collar?

In the boxing fight the referee was blocking me from getting out of the corner.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

Post patch and the game is a bit better but it's disappointing. The game is most definitely rendering at 720p and upscaling which is very disappointing because I'm only getting 40-60fps with an i5 6600k and a GTX1070. I'm playing at 1440p and all the steam notifications and the overlay are twice the size they should be, not to mention they are all blurry. I really hope there's another patch that makes the game actually render at the resolution I choose. I can't believe console ports have gotten even worse over the years. I thought oversized UI from Bioshock and Oblivion were bad. Really sucks because I am really enjoying this game.

This sums up the PC gamer mentality perfectly.

Let's just play the drat game.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

ChocNitty posted:

If you saw this personally you would understand. The struggle is real.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Powershift posted:

The studio has only been around for 21 months, i think it's quite obvious what happened.

They were formed, and inherited a half-finished xbox 360 game. They then spent 7 months building a story around free-roam missions, and the next 12 months smoking weed on the company dime.

That explains why all the buildings and roads and physics and stuff are absolute garbage. The map and engine was built by a previous team for an xbox 360 gen game and pulled out of the trash and pasted together for this release.

Posts like this make me think they must have put 99% of their effort into the PS4 version.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Are you trying to do every side mission? If so, stop.

The story missions are all the same poo poo.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

yea I'm not thrilled double dipping on side missions and all but I dunno, maybe I'm more easily placated but I think the big story settings and all make up for it enough.

Dude what the heck are you talking about? Its the same drat mission even in the story missions. Go take out some dudes poo poo either by killing henchmen or interrogating and at the same time stealing money to dwindle the counter. Kill boss once that is done. Seriously. EVERY loving TIME. There is NO difference whether it is a story mission or a side mission.

Wtf.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I really wanted to buy this but between the PC port reports and the people talking about the repetitive missions I'm starting to feel like I should save my money. It's a shame because the story and setting seem so cool.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

man nurse posted:

I really wanted to buy this but between the PC port reports and the people talking about the repetitive missions I'm starting to feel like I should save my money. It's a shame because the story and setting seem so cool.

It's a great story and great voice acting. But Sweet Jesus I have no idea what the hell a couple people are trying to do with saying the story missions make up for the rest. Whether its a side mission or a story mission, it makes no drat difference Its always the same drat mission with a different person. All the way till the end.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Posts like this make me think they must have put 99% of their effort into the PS4 version.

Posts like that make me wonder if we al just got hosed in the rear end by 2K (Ted Bundy) trying to recoup on 4 stop starts on an 11 year old platform. Because aside from the story, it looks and feels like I am playing a 720p game even on my PS4 with all the missions copy pasted for 20 hours with different named bosses. Because there's literally NO variation aside from one mission I played where I was able to detonate explosives on a crane, crane fell, and I used that when I came back to make my way to the boss. Up until then, and after that for another 7 hours, it went back to the same drat poo poo.

Am I missing something here? How are people differentiating the story missions? They are the same subset and set with different names.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

ChocNitty posted:

and the PC gamer mentality is right for expecting a decent port on hardware that is 4-5x more powerful than the box you're playing on. People have different hardware configurations and sometimes this port makes it unpleasant to play. Which is a shame considering Mafia 2 aged like a fine wine.

Utnayan posted:

Posts like that make me wonder if we al just got hosed in the rear end by 2K (Ted Bundy) trying to recoup on 4 stop starts on an 11 year old platform. Because aside from the story, it looks and feels like I am playing a 720p game even on my PS4 with all the missions copy pasted for 20 hours with different named bosses. Because there's literally NO variation aside from one mission I played where I was able to detonate explosives on a crane, crane fell, and I used that when I came back to make my way to the boss. Up until then, and after that for another 7 hours, it went back to the same drat poo poo.

Am I missing something here? How are people differentiating the story missions? They are the same subset and set with different names.

I'm a little bit ahead of you and I quit, all I want to do is find out what happened to Vito and Joe. I'm not doing another 10 hours of this poo poo. Just watch the "movie" on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5OdqOuf46Y

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Oct 9, 2016

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

This game is broken in hilarious ways.

I was rescuing the one dude from the lighthouse, and after fighting through the guys there was a boat, so i figured i would take the boat and it triggered a side mission for one of the under-bosses. so the clock is still ticking on the rescue mission, but now i'm doing the weed delviery. i get that done, and the dude i'm rescuing pops up beside me so i order a car and drive him to the marker, but it won't activate, it's still saying i have to rescue him. time runs out, i restart, and now i'm stuck with him and his car inside a garage. i would imagine you're supposed to open it from the outside and then get in the car, but i didn't do that so now i'm hosed i guess.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
'Witcher 3 style dlc' seems like it's actually just releasing content that should have been in M3's actual release had they not rushed a dated half-finished port out the door. Might as well have tagged the thing with Early Access.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Didn't they forbid anyone from making any reviews until the release date or such? And the thread is full of people complaining how it's extremely repetitive and buggy. :sigh:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Utnayan posted:

Hey man I am a jaded gamer too and am worried about it getting samey but you seem to be playing a shitload of hours per day and maybe that is hurting your experience?

Doesn't explain the graphics complaints though, I think it looks great.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
This game would be infinitely better if there was a "story only mode" so you didn't have to do 10 randomly generated "dismantling" missions to get to the main targets.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Nah, the game looks like poo poo. The character models look great but everything else looks worse than the last gen version of GTA V and even if it isn't upscaling from 720p, it looks like it is.

I can handle repetitive missions, I loved the Mad Max game and that was repetitive as all hell and I like the story and setting, but the game just feels really unpleasant to play and I think the horribly muddy visuals mixed with the framerate cap is what caused that. I'm not even that big of a framerate snob, but if a game is going to be 30 fps it better drat well look great and Mafia 3 simply doesn't. The framerate has now been fixed so it feels a bit less unpleasant to play, but it still doesn't look too great and it's putting me off from playing more of it.

It's surprising, really because I never thought I was much of a graphics snob and I still enjoy playing older games that have aged like milk visually. But something about Mafia 3's graphical style just does not look good to me and in fact I'm fairly sure the trailers looked a hell of a lot better which makes me think that some idiot suit at 2K mandated that the PC version had to maintain console parity, or there's some serious bug going on where the only settings that stick when you set everything to high is the vaseline blurry post processing. Either is possible, given how the game was clearly rushed out before it was ready.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

At the cost of stability, you can use that Reshade/SweetFX thing the other guy posted.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I just watched the entire story
Holy gently caress what was that ending? It was nice to see Joe though

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Alexander DeLarge posted:

This game would be infinitely better if there was a "story only mode" so you didn't have to do 10 randomly generated "dismantling" missions to get to the main targets.
Then I believe that game you want is Mafia II, the game that was being lambasted earlier in the thread for not using it's world except as a set dressing for it's story campaign.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Or Mafia 1. Which is easily the best in the series and also has its freeplay open world stuff segregated to an entirely different game mode.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

ZombyDog posted:

Then I believe that game you want is Mafia II, the game that was being lambasted earlier in the thread for not using it's world except as a set dressing for it's story campaign.

I think they pulled a "Hideo Kojima/Metal Gear Solid 4" here. They took the criticism way too far.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Tae posted:

It really sucks that you can only carry 2 weapons and apparently one of them has to be a pistol/magnum? Because Shotgun is by far the best weapon because you can one-hit kill via blindfire.

I wish it was like Mafia 1, one long weapon to hide in your jacket, and two pistols. And if I'm remembering correctly (I haven't played Mafia 1 since before M2 came out) you could also use a second 'long gun' but you had to carry it and couldn't hide it.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Very similar. Cars love doing doughnuts in the middle of the road, but they refuse to crash into each other. They just enter into Mexican standoffs that never end.

Haven't played with the patch yet though.

Patch seems to have mostly fixed it. Once in a blue moon you'll still see a car swerving around dangerously, but it's rare.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Alexander DeLarge posted:

I'm a little bit ahead of you and I quit, all I want to do is find out what happened to Vito and Joe.

Did you finish Mafia 2? Joe was killed for what he and Vito did. Vito was spared as a favor by Leo

ChocNitty posted:

Sorry, but when I pay AAA prices, I expect a AAA game. It's a shame when I can get a free to play game on steam that looks and runs better than this.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Oct 9, 2016

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Cross posting from the PS4 thread:

After playing Mafia 3 a bit more, I really can't recommend it for full price. The game has crashed on me multiple times, and there are other reports of it crashing on people. The story showed some real promise when the game started off, but now that I am in what I assume to be midgame, the story has been pretty non-existent and has simply been replaced by kill this guy that you know barely anything about to take his territory. The mission variety is abysmal, with some missions even taking place in the same spot as other missions. And the race thing while I guess a step up from other games, I still can't help feeling disappointed by it. Outside of the N-word and the broadcasts and some shots, it just feels so invisible.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Poil posted:

Didn't they forbid anyone from making any reviews until the release date or such? And the thread is full of people complaining how it's extremely repetitive and buggy. :sigh:

They didn't forbid anyone, they literally did not send review copies until release date which likely means the game was a complete shitshow before the first patch instead of just being very buggy but mostly playable

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Cojawfee posted:

Did you finish Mafia 2? Joe was killed for what he and Vito did. Vito was spared as a favor by Leo

Sorry, but when I pay AAA prices, I expect a AAA game. It's a shame when I can get a free to play game on steam that looks and runs better than this.

lol if u think $30 or $60 is enough money to get upset about lmao get an adult job kid

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
The story is intriguing but so far I've only killed one of the ten bosses (about to do the second), and if this loving structure never changes... hoo boy.

I think what separates this from something like GTA V is that GTA hides its basic loop with all sorts of neat tricks and story content. Mafia 3 flat out just tells you to go do x y and z to bring down a number before getting the boss. It does this ten times, then the game is over. Bleh.

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

Remember: Jimmy is Vito

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

bloodysabbath posted:

The story is intriguing but so far I've only killed one of the ten bosses (about to do the second), and if this loving structure never changes... hoo boy.

I think what separates this from something like GTA V is that GTA hides its basic loop with all sorts of neat tricks and story content. Mafia 3 flat out just tells you to go do x y and z to bring down a number before getting the boss. It does this ten times, then the game is over. Bleh.

bloodysabbath posted:

The thing with GTA V is that it actually seemed like they individually designed their missions and they are somewhat scripted. This they kind of plotted out enemy patrol roots and placed them and called it a day.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Deakul posted:

lol if u think $30 or $60 is enough money to get upset about lmao get an adult job kid

You're right. I regularly buy 700 dollar iphones and throw them away when they get smudged because of all my adult job money. Why am I even complaining about a video game that costs a pittance of 60 dollars?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

They didn't forbid anyone, they literally did not send review copies until release date which likely means the game was a complete shitshow before the first patch instead of just being very buggy but mostly playable
Yikes. If that wasn't an alarm with blaring sirens and red flags nothing is. How can anyone be even remotely surprised with this? Different studio/publisher(?) involved but it wasn't THAT long ago with the terrible batman release. Will they ever stop releasing early access-like beta's as full price titles? :sigh:

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me thrice, because I like to preorder. :downs:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Cojawfee posted:

You're right. I regularly buy 700 dollar iphones and throw them away when they get smudged because of all my adult job money. Why am I even complaining about a video game that costs a pittance of 60 dollars?

it's just a video game lmao stop getting so mad wow your life must be pretty boring

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Someone please make a Mafia game with the nemesis system from Shadows of Mordor.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

So do this game finally let you goof off in free roam shenanigans or is it very heavily scripted like the last two games?

Also, do they make you obey traffic laws in this game? That poo poo got old real fast in the previous games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I was really tempted to pick this up but after reading the feedback from the game so far I'm kinda glad I didn't pay full price for this - Mafia 2, as stripped down as it apparently was, was at least pretty polished and solid. This kinda looks like a buggy mess.

I doubt it'll have a place in the Halloween sale in a couple week (but lol if it does) but maybe for the Holiday sale it'll be knocked down a bit? Or when they get close to releasing the first DLC.

• Locked thread