Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ambitious Spider posted:

Turns out I didn't have it. Does it have a Genesis sequel by any chance? It seems kind of familiar.

There were quite a few something-den games at the time featuring ghost samurais. Konami's Getsu Fuma Den and Namco's Genpei Toma Den series being the most prominent. Kenseiden in particular looks a lot like Getsu Fuma Den

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Wizgot posted:

How do you all catalog your games? I have a spreadsheet set up that organizes everything that I have bought that is retro related and records date, price, condition and has links to price guides, articles etc.
One weekend not too long ago I tried out a bunch of different collection apps/sites, and Darkadia.com ended up being the best for my needs. It doesn't get too specific with different versions or printings of a game, but you can easily mark which platform/s you own a title for. Plus you can indicate whether you've played or completed a title.

Best feature is the search filters. So I can easily look up, say, unplayed RPGs for the consoles hooked up to my living room TV.

There's no app or desktop client, but the site is pretty well optimized for mobile browsing if that's a concern. You can also export your collection to a .csv file.

Data is sourced from the Giant Bomb database, which is fairly easy to submit your own edits to if necessary (I was able to add an obscure Amiga game to my collection this way).

There no direct support for "price paid" info and stuff like that, but there is a "notes" field for each game entry that could be utilized for such purposes, in theory.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I just have my games listed semi-alphabetically by console in an Excel spreadsheet. I did start highlighting ones I've beaten/not beaten in green and red respectively, but that's about the extent of it. I've never really bothered to keep track of the price outside of my own memory and a stack of game store receipts, I really don't want to depress my self thinking about the hundreds of dollars I've spent on it all. And yes, all price stickers must come off, clean(ish) carts forever!

Oh yeah this reminds me I've got to check off Adventure Time: Hey Ice King Why'd you Steal our Garbage. It was a lightweight and short Zelda 2 clone that's a nicely done fluff sort of game, it doesn't do anything to excite really. Thus far its the most "kiddie" like game I've played out of the more kid oriented games I have. I should have played something like Battle of Olympus instead really.

_____!
May 2, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

There were quite a few something-den games at the time featuring ghost samurais. Konami's Getsu Fuma Den and Namco's Genpei Toma Den series being the most prominent. Kenseiden in particular looks a lot like Getsu Fuma Den

I'm playing Getsu Fuma Den right now. I am not looking forward to seeing if I correctly wrote down the Katakana down correctly for the password.
I'm enjoying it so when I'm done I'll have to load up Kenseiden on the Genesis flash cart. Always good to get recommendations that are similar to what you're playing now.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
http://www.vgmuseum.com/features/warn/ - A collection of every message screen for playing GBC/WSC/NGPC games in the non-color models.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Does anyone know any known good PS2 component cables? I looked over Amazon and eBay it's all either $5 garbage or $50 OEM sets. I gave up and just got said garbage, and the picture seems ok but there is some gnarly buzz/feedback on the audio.

I'm going to hit up some used shops tomorrow but I'm guessing the cables they'll have will be the same cheap crap but with a big markup. I was trying to avoid the all in one sets but maybe that's the way to go? There's also some weird direct PS2->HDMI adapters things I'm leery of but it looks like they don't scale the image or anything so maybe they're ok

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

The Milkman posted:

Does anyone know any known good PS2 component cables? I looked over Amazon and eBay it's all either $5 garbage or $50 OEM sets. I gave up and just got said garbage, and the picture seems ok but there is some gnarly buzz/feedback on the audio.

I'm going to hit up some used shops tomorrow but I'm guessing the cables they'll have will be the same cheap crap but with a big markup. I was trying to avoid the all in one sets but maybe that's the way to go? There's also some weird direct PS2->HDMI adapters things I'm leery of but it looks like they don't scale the image or anything so maybe they're ok

I asked that here a while ago, and the consensus is that any of the ps3 component cables, including the multisystem ones, are fine. The OEM ones are a bitch to find now.

Edit: Meaning, the ones you have might just be hosed up in some fashion.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

The Milkman posted:

Sometimes just wrapping a bit of aluminum foil around the individual cables will be enough shielding to solve your problem. Can't hurt to give it a try.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

RichterIX posted:

I asked that here a while ago, and the consensus is that any of the ps3 component cables, including the multisystem ones, are fine. The OEM ones are a bitch to find now.

Edit: Meaning, the ones you have might just be hosed up in some fashion.

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=5638 i have this one but an older one and its fine

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Wizgot posted:

How do you all catalog your games? I have a spreadsheet set up that organizes everything that I have bought that is retro related and records date, price, condition and has links to price guides, articles etc.

I only have about a hundred games, so I usually can remember if I own something or not. Your method sounds interesting, though. What kinds of articles do you include in the links?

d0s posted:

of course they're going to use it to promote the thing because seeing FMV on a console was a novelty and to people who have never actually sat and played an FMV game it looks really impressive, but you kinda made it seem like the TG16 CD was all about pushing FMV multimedia poo poo when in reality it was just being used as a tech demo and the actual library was full of normal games.

I dunno, I think it's clear that I was talking about how the TurboGrafx-16 looked in ads, magazine coverage, and other media. NEC showed off FMV games on the TG-16, but, as you've pointed out, the system didn't have very many. The Sega CD picked up the trend and offered it in greater supply and on a more popular platform.

It's funny to see how often people thought "normal" games were passe in the magical new world of mid-1990s multimedia. Check out this old episode of Computer Chronicles and see how the host reacts when John "Johnny Turbo" Brandstetter shows off Lords of Thunder on the TurboDuo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H123l4GCJ-s&t=1016s

Don't worry, Mr. Brandstetter. History is on your side.

Dr. Dos posted:

http://www.vgmuseum.com/features/warn/ - A collection of every message screen for playing GBC/WSC/NGPC games in the non-color models.

Wow, SNK vs. Capcom: Match of the Millennium has a dozen different error screens. So much work went into that little game.

Kid Fenris fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Oct 9, 2016

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

hail satan

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

The Milkman posted:

I have this one and it seems to work fine. I can't speak for the durability though, as I've only hooked it up like twice. Looks to have a ferrite core on there as well, which might curb the noise.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013OM528/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

The Milkman posted:

You can snag OEM ones on eBay for $25.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

PS3 Component cables will work with your PS2. At least the ones I have do.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I have Rocketfish brand ps2 (probably marketed for ps3) component cables and they're great. Nice and long, braided cable.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
You can scour thrift stores for PS2 component cables as well. they do show up from time to time especially if your store has a good pile of cords in the electronics section. That's how I wound up with a Monster branded one. It seems to work pretty well.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Re: ps2 component cables you can score monster cables for like $20 if you're patient on eBay

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Tried some aluminum foil, no dice. I did see that Rocketfish cable the other day when I was on ebay, they looked good but all the listing were from Canada. Also saw the Monster GameLink for cheap, which would have been a winner but it doesn't carry audio at all, just the optical out, and that'd be a pain with my setup.

Monopthalmus posted:

You can snag OEM ones on eBay for $25.

The ones I saw were all around $50 but checking again, there are a couple now for ~$30. Still more than I wanted to spend but in the realm of possiblity..

azurite posted:

I have this one and it seems to work fine. I can't speak for the durability though, as I've only hooked it up like twice. Looks to have a ferrite core on there as well, which might curb the noise.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013OM528/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That looks like the same generic one I got but who knows I probably just got a bum one. If I don't see anything tomorrow maybe I'll roll the dice. I was avoiding the monoprice one even though it's probably decent quality because it's white and has all those extra leads which would shatter the illusion of neat cabling in my black cabinet :whitewater:

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016

Dr. Dos posted:

This is exactly the kind of cool ephemera about games that I truly find interesting. Thanks for sharing this.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
It looks like anyone can assemble a "retro device" nowadays that can play emulators. The GPD XD looks like one of the better ones (seemingly good built quality, battery life and screen). Any comments/recommendations about it or upcoming devices (preferably open source)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwO80jzKhtE

e: Just found this. Looks like there'll be a handheld Windows 10 PC from GPD soon.

lllllllllllllllllll fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Oct 9, 2016

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."

Turbinosamente posted:

I just have my games listed semi-alphabetically by console in an Excel spreadsheet. I did start highlighting ones I've beaten/not beaten in green and red respectively, but that's about the extent of it. I've never really bothered to keep track of the price outside of my own memory and a stack of game store receipts, I really don't want to depress my self thinking about the hundreds of dollars I've spent on it all. And yes, all price stickers must come off, clean(ish) carts forever!

That's a really interesting idea. Just updated my spreadsheet with it.

Kid Fenris posted:

I only have about a hundred games, so I usually can remember if I own something or not. Your method sounds interesting, though. What kinds of articles do you include in the links?

In the price column I have each game hyperlinked to its respective pricecharting.com page. I'm not sure how accurate the site is but at least it gives me an idea of the "market".

Here is a pic of how I handle my spreadsheet.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Wizgot posted:

That's a really interesting idea. Just updated my spreadsheet with it.

In the price column I have each game hyperlinked to its respective pricecharting.com page. I'm not sure how accurate the site is but at least it gives me an idea of the "market".

Here is a pic of how I handle my spreadsheet.

So do you manually update every so often or do you just not care?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

al-azad posted:

A fairly easy way to update is to create one sheet (per system?) That's just a copy/paste of said system right from vgpc.

Create a lookup formula to said sheet, then just occasionally update that whole sheet with one copy/paste.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."

al-azad posted:

The prices I have there are what I paid (plus shipping). To get the price chart values I just click on the hyperlink assigned to each game. It doesn't update the prices or anything. I am not an excel wizard.

I feel bad about how much money I have spent on the whole hobby. But its divided between three years and all the games have been purchased off of ebay. I've played them all (even though I have little time to play them) and these are the games I want. I don't buy games I would ever play.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Wizgot posted:

The prices I have there are what I paid (plus shipping). To get the price chart values I just click on the hyperlink assigned to each game. It doesn't update the prices or anything. I am not an excel wizard.

I feel bad about how much money I have spent on the whole hobby. But its divided between three years and all the games have been purchased off of ebay. I've played them all (even though I have little time to play them) and these are the games I want. I don't buy games I would ever play.

Okay, I thought you listed their worth not what you paid.

I know vgpc offers an API for paying customers but falz's method would work as well.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

It looks like anyone can assemble a "retro device" nowadays that can play emulators. The GPD XD looks like one of the better ones (seemingly good built quality, battery life and screen). Any comments/recommendations about it or upcoming devices (preferably open source)?

That looks like it'd actually be quite good. Proper IPS screen, looks to have good controls, and they're running a modern smartphone chipset which will have more than enough power up to PS1 games. It'll run all the current Android emulators out there, and they're pretty much all good - so it's not like older emulator devices that ran custom OSes and your selection wouldn't be so good.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

The Milkman posted:

That looks like the same generic one I got but who knows I probably just got a bum one. If I don't see anything tomorrow maybe I'll roll the dice. I was avoiding the monoprice one even though it's probably decent quality because it's white and has all those extra leads which would shatter the illusion of neat cabling in my black cabinet :whitewater:

the fashion over function dilemma for retro gaming ends up really expensive if you pick fashion

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I bought an Original Xbox because it was $40 and I was getting annoyed at the emulation issues with the 360, what games should I pick up/download?

Also, is there a way to do the Arcade games without the disk, because it says Ms Pacman is downloaded but I don't know if I can start it without the boot disk.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Elliotw2 posted:

I bought an Original Xbox because it was $40 and I was getting annoyed at the emulation issues with the 360, what games should I pick up/download?

Also, is there a way to do the Arcade games without the disk, because it says Ms Pacman is downloaded but I don't know if I can start it without the boot disk.

I mean, if you can get a cheap copy of Phantom Dust it's worth it. If you like the Battlefront games the best versions are definitely on Xbox, Time Splitters: Future Perfect is best on Xbox, Garou and MvC2 also have good versions as well.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Xbox is a good place to grab multi-platform stuff like the Hunter games, Evil Dead games, and Godzilla games if those interest you. And yeah Timesplitters 2 / 3 and Second Sight.

Also Toejam & Earl III. It's good. :colbert:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Super Monkey Ball Deluxe because the Xbox thumbstick is better than the PS2's. Jet Set Radio Future as well, DOA3 is also good.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

e: Just found this. Looks like there'll be a handheld Windows 10 PC from GPD soon.

That Win 10 mini laptop reminds me of the Open Pandora. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandora_(console)

The developers are working on another Linux mini laptop. The DragonBox Pyra: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DragonBox_Pyra

These would be cool to own because I love seeing modern technology miniaturized but the prices make me think twice.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Elliotw2 posted:

jet set radio future has poo poo emulation on the 360 and it rules. also panzer dragoon orta is neat

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah, I grabbed JSRF since it's basically free due to being a pack-in game for 90% of the console's lifespan.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Elliotw2 posted:

Do you already have a replacement hard drive swapped in? I'd recommend going for a 320 or 500 gb one that's on the compatibility list: http://xboxdrives.x-pec.com/?p=list

Pretty much every multiplatform game of the generation had its best version on the Xbox, and always make sure your Xbox has Metal Wolf Chaos and the 3 GTA III era games installed. Also, Intellivision Lives! is pretty good. I also don't really recommend playing any original xbox games off the original disc except the very few titles that can't be installed correctly. I think one of the later Tony Hawk games has that issue. You'll want to minimize additional wear and tear on those DVD drives because it's way more of a hassle to swap in a new one that'll work, then to replace the hard drive.

I also found, for the Arcade issue, that having the whole Arcade disk installed meant the games played fine. Didn't try installing any of them seperately.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Light Gun Man posted:

Xbox is a good place to grab multi-platform stuff like the Hunter games, Evil Dead games, and Godzilla games if those interest you. And yeah Timesplitters 2 / 3 and Second Sight.

Also Toejam & Earl III. It's good. :colbert:

Yeah, the Xbox generally got the best version of the multiplatform releases of that generation so even stuff like the Grand Theft Auto games are better on it. For exclusives, Sega moved its Dreamcast development over there when their platform died so Shenmue II, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Jet Set Radio Future, Crazy Taxi 3, Outrun 2 (though I think on the Xbox you want the 2006 version), and Super Monkey Ball Deluxe. For multiplayer player action RPG's, the X-Men Legends and Baldur's Gate games are good (avoid the Fallout game). Microsoft themselves didn't really make a lot of great exclusives for the platform, but Crimson Skies and the Mechassault games are pretty fun.

Of course there's really two games that you have to get. Steel Battalion is the one you won't have to soft mod the box to play. The other, of course, is Metal Wolf Chaos, a game that accurately predicted the 2016 election cycle.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Get Breakdown.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I actually still own my original copy of Breakdown from when I owned an xbox nearly 12 years ago.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I really really like Phantom Crash and I wish either my OG Xbox controller worked or the 360 didn't crash it constantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Enter the matrix was one of the few decent licensed movie games

• Locked thread