Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SeanBeansShako posted:

It actually happened a lot in history.

Women disguised themselves to be drummers, soldiers and pirates through the 17th and 18th century.

Most notably Anne Bonny and Mary Read. They were captured along with Calico Jack Rackham's crew, causing much hilarity in court when they claimed to be pregnant as during the capture they'd kicked more rear end than the men. for added amusement: Rackham was Bonny's husband and he had her pose as a man to avoid unwarranted attention. When Mary Read came aboard using the alias Mark Read, Bonny fell for her thinking she was a pretty man and revealed her true sex to Read only to discover the truth. However, Rackham didn't know, and when he saw Read and Bonny getting close he accused Bonny of infidelity, refusing to accept her explanation that Read was passing even though his wife was already doing the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Yep.

The ones we know of all got outed or came out eventually. Quite a few got away with it and a no doubt a depressing number died doing it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've never seen anyone say Monstrous Regiment is bad, just that it's much darker and less funny than Disc books were at that time, which Terry IIRC said was a result of writing it right after 911

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

It's pretty decent yeah, kind of a follow up to Jingo too in some ways.

People saying it is bad must be part of that gross anti feminism crowd or something.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

People saying it is bad must be part of that gross anti feminism crowd or something.

I read it when it came out and thought it was boring because it was a bit boring. Had it been written by basically anyone else I probably would have thought it was a good book :shrug:

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
it's one of my favourite discworld novels, but many people don't seem to like it. i've never thought that the people who don't like it are part of some vast anti-feminist conspiracy

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hogge Wild posted:

it's one of my favourite discworld novels, but many people don't seem to like it. i've never thought that the people who don't like it are part of some vast anti-feminist conspiracy

It's like when Eddie Murphy tried to become a serious musician in the 80s and then everyone was really disappointed when he was just crooning and playing the payana and didn't even fart oh wait actually it's not like that because Eddie Murphy is a bad comedian and a bad musician but you get the idea.

e: And Monstrous Regiment is funny, it's just nowhere near as funny as the previous books.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Monstrous Regiment is one of my favourite Pratchett books, I was surprised to see it getting hate itt

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I didn't much like it the first time through because I felt the way it turned out was too farcical even for Pratchett, but much later I reread it and I think I've warmed up to it a bit more now.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

SeanBeansShako posted:

I feel like the ending was too contrived and farcical to really fit the book and that the weak ending makes it one of his weaker entries. If I rated all the Discworld books it would probably end up in the bottom third. I don't think it's a bad book, I just don't think it's a particularly good one. If this makes me a gross anti-feminist then :shrug:

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I think we can all at least agree that Jack Jackrum is right up there with Vimes in terms of sheer badassery.

"Upon my oath, I am not a violent man!" *stab*

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Khizan posted:

I feel like the ending was too contrived and farcical to really fit the book

Could you expand on this? The supernatural bits, or the courtroom reveal? Both of which seemed okay to me.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The courtroom reveal, mostly. I haven't read it in years, though, so I am iffy on the specific details but I remember really disliking the "Oh ho, the entire high command are women faking it! And so is Jackrum! And so is everybody but that hapless LT!" Just fell flat for me.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yeah that's exactly what I thought. It's like a comedy with no straight man.

e: :v:

e2: don't get me wrong, it works, but you have to stop and think for a minute about why it works and I guess I wasn't in the right frame of mind the first time around.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Oct 10, 2016

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Khizan posted:

The courtroom reveal, mostly. I haven't read it in years, though, so I am iffy on the specific details but I remember really disliking the "Oh ho, the entire high command are women faking it! And so is Jackrum! And so is everybody but that hapless LT!" Just fell flat for me.

Jackrum kicks all the men out of the room before the big reveal, so its not the entire high command.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Monstrous Regiment is one of my favourite Pratchett books, I was surprised to see it getting hate itt

I agree.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I should have seen it coming, knowing Pratchett was very fond of Chesterton, but somehow still didn't.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Khizan posted:

If this makes me a gross anti-feminist then :shrug:

There is not liking the ending and there is just downright hating it because of the ending, you seem pretty much in the former camp which is fine. It isn't the most original ending now, but the book still carries a strong message and Jackrum she would be just as diamond as Mr Shine (if she were a troll). Plus I love the cover art for it. Tee hee, ladies bloomers.

We're all entitled to our opinions and tastes. I like and have fond memories of both Soul Music and Moving Pictures even though most people here aren't the fan of them.

I am also sad Discworld Noir never got a art book or comic too.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Jedit posted:

Most notably Anne Bonny and Mary Read. They were captured along with Calico Jack Rackham's crew, causing much hilarity in court when they claimed to be pregnant as during the capture they'd kicked more rear end than the men. for added amusement: Rackham was Bonny's husband and he had her pose as a man to avoid unwarranted attention. When Mary Read came aboard using the alias Mark Read, Bonny fell for her thinking she was a pretty man and revealed her true sex to Read only to discover the truth. However, Rackham didn't know, and when he saw Read and Bonny getting close he accused Bonny of infidelity, refusing to accept her explanation that Read was passing even though his wife was already doing the same thing.

You forgot the best part: When Rackham's ship was captured Read and Bonny were the only ones to put on a fight and they actually held off the troops for a while. Then when Rackham was sentenced to death Bonny's last words to him was "Had you fought like a man, you need not have been hang'd like a dog."

Screaming Idiot posted:

I think we can all at least agree that Jack Jackrum is right up there with Vimes in terms of sheer badassery.

Jackrum is also pretty scary:
” The fire gleamed off Jackrum’s triumphal face. In the red glow his little dark eyes were like holes in space, his grinning mouth the gateway to a hell, his bulk some monster from the Abyss.
Poor old soldier, her father and his friends had sung, while frost formed on the window panes, poor old soldier! If ever I ‘list for a soldier again … the devil shall be my sergeant!
In the firelight the grin of Sergeant Jackrum was a crescent of blood, his coat the colour of a battlefield sky. ‘You are my little lads,’ he roared. ‘And I will look after you.’

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Sometimes I miss my old avatar.

For context.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
It never sat easily with me how Pratchett could be so "omg war is icky hell oh no grey faced coat men" and then spend about 33% of the book wanking over how awesome and deadly Jackrum is. The ability to both have a cake and eat it probably involves those bloody quantums.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Disgusting Coward posted:

It never sat easily with me how Pratchett could be so "omg war is icky hell oh no grey faced coat men" and then spend about 33% of the book wanking over how awesome and deadly Jackrum is. The ability to both have a cake and eat it probably involves those bloody quantums.

Jackrum being badass wasn't really shown as a good thing, though. Jackrum might have been a hero, but "he" is every bit as much a butcher and Pratchett doesn't shy away from it. The section Alhazred quoted shows that; Jackrum is the sort who makes the gray-faced men in tightened coats, then smiles about it over a cup of hot sweet tea.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Yeah, Jackrum is definitely charismatic but the book very much shows you that you maybe SHOULDN'T like him. Straight up murderer associated with hellish imagery. It quite acknowledges the "badass" problem.

Put me in as another that's shocked anyone has anything negative to say about the book. It's top tier for me along with Night Watch.

SeanBeansShako posted:

This is probably why I liked it so much! Pratchett has a pretty unique and well researched take on war compared to a lot of fantasy books.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Pratchett holds the pretty atypical view that just because a work is considered fantastical it doesn't mean that some basic truths should be given the misty-eyed view that is pretty rife in a lot of fantasy.

War is nasty, brutish and utterly pointless in a majority of cases.

All of his books that feature it definitely go out of their way to drive that point home. Even the stuff only mentioned like the Wizard Wars are treated as horrible relics of the past that should stay there.

It's quite refreshing, really.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Just got home from watching Guards Guards at the Brisbane Arts Theatre and had a wonderful time. The performers were clearly fans of his work (as evidenced by the numerous other works they'd previously adapted) and made it a rollicking good time.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

iajanus posted:

Just got home from watching Guards Guards at the Brisbane Arts Theatre and had a wonderful time. The performers were clearly fans of his work (as evidenced by the numerous other works they'd previously adapted) and made it a rollicking good time.

I need to see a theater adaption of one of books one of these days, especially one done with love.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

nm

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Screaming Idiot posted:

I never got the joke of that line before. :saddowns:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

SeanBeansShako posted:

I need to see a theater adaption of one of books one of these days, especially one done with love.

A couple years back I caught an adaptation of "Wyrd Sisters" with an all female cast. It was pretty good.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

SeanBeansShako posted:

It was my first, and was well worth it. The audience was really getting into it and the actors were surprisingly close to my mental pictures. They did well with a limited budget, too; Death and the dragon were perfectly put on even though the show obviously didn't have a massive budget to throw at the effects.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

iajanus posted:

It was my first, and was well worth it. The audience was really getting into it and the actors were surprisingly close to my mental pictures. They did well with a limited budget, too; Death and the dragon were perfectly put on even though the show obviously didn't have a massive budget to throw at the effects.

So how did they do the dragon?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Jerry Cotton posted:

So how did they do the dragon?

A combination of effective usage of the stage/spot lights, shadow work, and the heaters at opportune moments. The fourth wall was also useful for when silhouettes were being "burnt" into it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

iajanus posted:

A combination of effective usage of the stage/spot lights, shadow work, and the heaters at opportune moments. The fourth wall was also useful for when silhouettes were being "burnt" into it.

Sounds cool. I wish we had theatre in Finland. (Theatre that wasn't still under the spell of Jouko Turkka's enduring, all-encompassing legacy of really badness, that is.)

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

VagueRant posted:

Yeah, Jackrum is definitely charismatic but the book very much shows you that you maybe SHOULDN'T like him. Straight up murderer associated with hellish imagery. It quite acknowledges the "badass" problem.

Put me in as another that's shocked anyone has anything negative to say about the book. It's top tier for me along with Night Watch.
This is probably why I liked it so much! Pratchett has a pretty unique and well researched take on war compared to a lot of fantasy books.

Hell, Jackrum himself acknowledges that he has done very, very bad things in name of Borogravia, and people like him who probably shouldn't.

"... I've been to a lot of foreign countries and met some very interesting people, who I mostly subsequently killed before they could do me over good and proper."

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Oct 21, 2016

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
People Also Overlook Just How Wonderful The Golem Characters Tend To Be. Pump 19 and Gladys Were Both Bright Spots In The First Two Moist Von Lipwig Books And Dorfl's Cameos Are Always Hilarious.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I think Going Postal might have something really interesting going on with golems and the angel - messenger - postman connection, but now that I'm trying to type it out I have no idea if I'm just talking out my rear end? I haven't read it in a few years. I don't know I just love that book. And Feet of Clay.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

YggiDee posted:

I think Going Postal might have something really interesting going on with golems and the angel - messenger - postman connection, but now that I'm trying to type it out I have no idea if I'm just talking out my rear end? I haven't read it in a few years. I don't know I just love that book. And Feet of Clay.

Golems literally carries a word from (a) god in their heads.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Golems don't necessarily need the word of a God in their head, just something Holy.

The receipt Carrot got for purchasing Dorfl was sufficiently holy to give Dorfl life, which is pretty cool.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Rush Limbo posted:

Golems don't necessarily need the word of a God in their head, just something Holy.

The receipt Carrot got for purchasing Dorfl was sufficiently holy to give Dorfl life, which is pretty cool.

Ankh-Morpork worships money so it's holy as gently caress.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Rush Limbo posted:

The receipt wasn't holy, it was what it said. Which was, at least in paraphrase, "The bearer of this note is the owner of the golem Dorfl". As Dorfl was the bearer of the note, he owned himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Jedit posted:

The receipt wasn't holy, it was what it said. Which was, at least in paraphrase, "The bearer of this note is the owner of the golem Dorfl". As Dorfl was the bearer of the note, he owned himself.

I dunno man, a piece of paper affirming your existence as one controlled and defined by yourself through the power of metaphor sounds pretty drat holy to me.