Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Themagicalgoat posted:

The GOP abandoned Dole in '96. But they did so with his tacit permission and acceptance. There has never, in the history of the United States, been a major presidential nominee who went after the leadership of his own party during the general election. Ever. I understand that we are in a seemingly unfamiliar election, but please explain to me how this unprecedented act on the eve of a debate does something besides demonstrate (through actual counted votes) a fracture in the party? How will Ryan govern if he even retains a majority? What will policy look like? Obstructionism is no longer enough for the T Party. They've tasted a piece of victory in the primary and they will destroy themselves to get that high again.

They were going to lose this election before this tape and they are still going to lose this election after it and almost definitely retain the house and the vast majority of state houses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

mcmagic posted:

They were going to lose this election before this tape and they are still going to lose this election after it and almost definitely retain the house and the vast majority of state houses.
Ok Bill Kristol

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

Trump is actually going to make America great again by detonating the GOP from within. It's beautiful thing to behold in its own disgusting, abhorrent way -- like a mushroom cloud.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Themagicalgoat posted:

The GOP abandoned Dole in '96. But they did so with his tacit permission and acceptance. There has never, in the history of the United States, been a major presidential nominee who went after the leadership of his own party during the general election. Ever. I understand that we are in a seemingly unfamiliar election, but please explain to me how this unprecedented act on the eve of a debate does something besides demonstrate (through actual counted votes) a fracture in the party? How will Ryan govern if he even retains a majority? What will policy look like? Obstructionism is no longer enough for the T Party. They've tasted a piece of victory in the primary and they will destroy themselves to get that high again.

It's easy to understand. Mcmagic hates Clinton, so any scenario where she'd be wildly successful must be untrue

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Night10194 posted:

Why would this happen. The nominee is openly turning on the party at the moment.

I don't think the actual civil war is going to begin until after the debate. If Trump gets eviscerated again, it'll be the clearest signal for everyone to flee the ship. Reince is probably sticking around and praying that he can somehow will this debate into a draw or even a slight loss.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
I seem to remember something from 2008-2012 that showed that audiences sympathize with Hillary when Bill's infidelity and sexual assaults enter the conversation.

I wonder what it's like to be Hillary Clinton right now. To have spent the last 20 years putting together a campaign for president, to have it ripped away from you by a smooth motherfucker at the last second, to get your last chance 8 years later, come face to face with the last obstacle between you and your life's work, and to watch your opponent poo poo himself, catch fire, and jump out a window.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Roman Reigns posted:

God he's going to bring up the Bill Clinton rape stuff right off the bat

No no no he's going to bring up Hillary's rape stuff :eng101:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

theflyingorc posted:

It's easy to understand. Mcmagic hates Clinton, so any scenario where she'd be wildly successful must be untrue

I want democrats to be wildly successful in this election but do you really think they are taking back the house or the majority of statehouses? Come on. BTW if any of those things happen i'll be THRILLED to admit I was wrong.

Bassetking
Feb 20, 2008

And it is, it is a glorious thing, to be a Basset King!

:unsmigghh:

T-Rex wants to hunt.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Themagicalgoat posted:

I think sometimes this thread has a tendency to... anti-arzy and talk about this like it's the definite end to the republicans, there's no way they'll do anything after this, etc., etc.

While I do think Trump will cost them the election, and quite possibly affect them majorly down ticket - give them 4 years. People will dismiss this out of hand as an outlier, we'll regress back towards the mean of two white dudes running, and the inexorable march change will take one more tiny shuffle down the road.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Bushiz posted:

I seem to remember something from 2008-2012 that showed that audiences sympathize with Hillary when Bill's infidelity and sexual assaults enter the conversation.

I wonder what it's like to be Hillary Clinton right now. To have spent the last 20 years putting together a campaign for president, to have it ripped away from you by a smooth motherfucker at the last second, to get your last chance 8 years later, come face to face with the last obstacle between you and your life's work, and to watch your opponent poo poo himself, catch fire, and jump out a window.

Rumors I've heard is the Clinton campaign feels very "gross" atm

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

mcmagic posted:

I want democrats to be wildly successful in this election but do you really think they are taking back the house or the majority of statehouses? Come on.
I think Republicans will keep hold of state governorships and legislatures, at about the 30/20 they have now, will see strong losses in the Senate, but probably not to 2008 levels, and the national House will lean Dem but not as strongly.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

mcmagic posted:

I want democrats to be wildly successful in this election but do you really think they are taking back the house or the majority of statehouses? Come on. BTW if any of those things happen i'll be THRILLED to admit I was wrong.

Did you seriously spend more money to get rid of your car bomb avatar?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I think sometimes this thread has a tendency to... anti-arzy and talk about this like it's the definite end to the republicans, there's no way they'll do anything after this, etc., etc.

While I do think Trump will cost them the election, and quite possibly affect them majorly down ticket - give them 4 years. People will dismiss this out of hand as an outlier, we'll regress back towards the mean of two white dudes running, and the inexorable march change will take one more tiny shuffle down the road.

You don't need to give them four years. Republicans have such a lock on state level politics they'll win big in 2018, guaranteed.

WE'VE BEEN THROUGH THIS BEFORE, PEOPLE!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Night10194 posted:

Why would this happen. The nominee is openly turning on the party at the moment.

I think he's trying to stop it. Like, I think he hopes that, if he can talk to him face-to-face, he can convince him to stop and finally get him back in line.

People can believe odd things when their life is crashing down around them.

Also, holy poo poo, Rudy Guiliani is such a poor replacement for Kellyanne Conway. He is actively making Trump look worse, if that was even possible.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

mcmagic posted:

If the gop is down 8+ points it doesn't matter.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
There's been a lot of talk in the thread, and for obvious reasons, about whether or not Trump will split the party, but honestly I think that's a meaningless question. The party is already split. I think the last 48 hours or so have made it abundantly clear that chaos reigns in the GOP right now and that there is no clear leadership or unified position regarding the trumpster fire. The question isn't 'will the GOP fragment' but rather 'is the current fragmenting permanent and, if so, what parties will emerge from the GOP's ashes."

I mean, maybe it's me being hopeful, but nothing I've read in this thread, seen in the news or reported in tweets - including those by GOP politicians - seems to suggest to me at all that the GOP is currently functioning as a unified political organization.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Bushiz posted:

She is religious, she probably thinks that God did this for her. Maybe he did.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

mcmagic posted:

It is definitely within the scope of what could happen. At 8-9 points, it becomes a tossup. Trump was at 5-6 before we had tape describing sexual assault.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Beginning to think Trump has some dirt on Rudy to get him to support.
Rudy is the kind of guy to jump where the wind is blowing, he should have dumped Trump already.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Guy Goodbody posted:

You don't need to give them four years. Republicans have such a lock on state level politics they'll win big in 2018, guaranteed.

WE'VE BEEN THROUGH THIS BEFORE, PEOPLE!

Pretty much this. Once the circlejerk over Trump's smoldering campaign is over, people will plod away and forget to vote in 2018.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

CascadeBeta posted:

For Trump to have any chance going forward, he'd have to appear apologetic, thoughtful, restrained and well spoken for the entirety of the 90 minute debate while dodging landmines from Hillary.

I can't wait. :getin:

Hillary is going to roll out a pallet of mines each with a photo of various GOP leaders on them and spend the debate shouting things like "Paul Ryan says you are a loser!" from behind a blast wall.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
The rhetoric about what happened to the Republicans after this election will definitely be more "play stupid games win stupid prizes" and way less about honest introspection about their relationship with voters.

Themagicalgoat
Oct 5, 2016

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

For the record, I don't think that Dems will win the House. But my questions still stand about the open split in the party. A large number of votes will be cast for Trump and NOT cast for other Republicans.

GarudaPrime
May 19, 2006

THE PANTS ARE FANCY!
We live in a moment of history where it is probably irresponsible to let 8-12 year old children watch a US presidential debate.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Themagicalgoat posted:

I mean, they nominated White Hot Ball of Rage. This is what happens.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Bushiz posted:

Hillary's favorability has never been higher than during the impeachment hearings. She comes off favorably during any discussion about their marriage, and it is the absolute worst strategy for Trump to talk about Bill's infidelity, for a number of reasons. She has had riposte lines rehearsed for decades against anyone, and now is her chance to use it against a guy who cheated on at least one of his wives and is now caught on tape bragging about sexual assault. It's going to be a bloodbath.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I mean, maybe it's me being hopeful, but nothing I've read in this thread, seen in the news or reported in tweets - including those by GOP politicians - seems to suggest to me at all that the GOP is currently functioning as a unified political organization.

I think it was in the recent NYMag cover story, but there was an interview with Joe Biden where he said that one of the reasons why we're seeing so much political discord is that the GOP has no unifier or someone who speaks for them. You had McGovern Democrats, Reaganites, Clinton Democrats, but there's no central figure in the GOP who can lay down the law or make party planks. It's certainly not Trump, and the GOP (and democracy as a whole) suffers for it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

happyhippy posted:

Rudy is the kind of guy to jump where the wind is blowing, he should have dumped Trump already.

It is the brotherhood of dirtbags

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

mannerup fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Oct 17, 2016

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

happyhippy posted:

Maybe not dirt, but Trump might have promised him and Christie something to stay on board. I'm assuming its whatever show or news network he produces after this trainwreck.

Preibus, I think, is so drunk he thinks he's flying to Trump's victory speech.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

happyhippy posted:

Dirt worse than him marrying his own cousin?

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Iiinteresting...
http://money.cnn.com/2016/10/09/media/anderson-cooper-martha-raddatz-town-hall-debate-questions/index.html

CNN posted:

The first set of questions at Sunday night's presidential debate will be about Donald Trump's vulgar comments on a newly published 2005 videotape, and the fallout from it.
And Hillary Clinton will get the first question.
Moderators Anderson Cooper of CNN and Martha Raddatz of ABC have adjusted their plan for the debate in light of the Trump tape, sources told CNNMoney.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/785128373865553920

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

mannerup fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Oct 17, 2016

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

She is religious, she probably thinks that God did this for her. Maybe he did.

At the same time, that document in the most recent email leak that showed the Democrats were supporting trump in various ways in the primary, in hopes that he would be easier in the general. The basket of deplorables speech drawing lines between GOP and trump supporters, it feels like she just did all the optional side quests.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Coheed and Camembert posted:

Hillary's favorability has never been higher than during the impeachment hearings. She comes off favorably during any discussion about their marriage, and it is the absolute worst strategy for Trump to talk about Bill's infidelity, for a number of reasons. She has had riposte lines rehearsed for decades against anyone, and now is her chance to use it against a guy who cheated on at least one of his wives and is now caught on tape bragging about sexual assault. It's going to be a bloodbath.

I think it was in the recent NYMag cover story, but there was an interview with Joe Biden where he said that one of the reasons why we're seeing so much political discord is that the GOP has no unifier or someone who speaks for them. You had McGovern Democrats, Reaganites, Clinton Democrats, but there's no central figure in the GOP who can lay down the law or make party planks. It's certainly not Trump, and the GOP (and democracy as a whole) suffers for it.

Blaming a woman for a man's failings seems like a great way to make as many women vote for Trump as possible

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

In addition to those CBS polls, an NBC News poll of Pennsylvania has Clinton up +13

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Instant Sunrise posted:

Dirt worse than him marrying his own cousin?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxAz36rTOsc

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Someone told me before that the questions would have to be addressed to both candidates. Is that not the case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
So has anyone seen Chris Christies jiggling jowls

• Locked thread