Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Yup that would be under liability because you are LIABLE for all of those incidents. A general renters policy should have you covered there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
The one thing I've got to be careful about is he flooding/water damage to the apartment. But I'm assuming if there is a problem like a leak, I report it, and things get worse or it causes damage, it's the apartments fault, not mine. Especially if I've done due diligence to bring it to their attention. (I have a leaking faucet that drips or even trickles and I'm convinced it's going to end up flooding my apartment. That might be OCD or just plain delusional, not to get too E/N here though.)

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Three-Phase posted:

The one thing I've got to be careful about is he flooding/water damage to the apartment. But I'm assuming if there is a problem like a leak, I report it, and things get worse or it causes damage, it's the apartments fault, not mine. Especially if I've done due diligence to bring it to their attention. (I have a leaking faucet that drips or even trickles and I'm convinced it's going to end up flooding my apartment. That might be OCD or just plain delusional, not to get too E/N here though.)

Well you can purchase water back up coverage for your own property. If its the apartment and not anything you can do about it, then yeah thats on the complex. Renters pays for you to live elsewhere if you cant live in your place too!

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Yeah I just noticed that - I didn't realize how much Renters covers besides standard "my stuff got stolen/burned". Especially the liability aspects.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Did you read the OP?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Jastiger posted:

Did you read the OP?

Not as closely as I should have.

Anyhow one other thing- I am looking to replace my little old econobox with a small SUV. I ask for a quote from my insurance provider and insuring the new car is actually about $15/mo cheaper than my older car.

This new vehicle does have a ton of safety features like lane assist, automatic braking, and the backup camera. I am guessing that those safety features probably have to do with why a more expensive vehicle is cheaper to insure. (Totaling a car with no injuries is a $25k-ish loss, running down into a child errantly running out into the street and paralyzingly them is a hell of a lot more money. And I'm not sure I'd be able to handle that especially if it was my fault.)

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Yup, a new car can be cheaper to insure just on the improved safety to yourself and others. Cars are cheap, people aren't.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

LongDarkNight posted:

Yup, a new car can be cheaper to insure just on the improved safety to yourself and others. Cars are cheap, people aren't.

Yeah I am looking at the Hybrid RAV4. I actually carefully tried the lane assist feature where my hands were just barely off the wheel and the car beeped at me and steered the car back into the lane. That's pretty amazing.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
That is right, more expensive cars or newer cars are safer too. Its kind of an arms race though because on some luxury cars they have a lot of superficial facia work that looks really nice, but is SUPER expensive to replace just because of the way its built and how easily its damaged.

On the flip side, cars that have good safety features like lane assist and rear view cameras prevent a lot of small bumps and claims so they are less likely to have to pay.

Another thing that is coming up in the insurance world is how income can actually impact your likelihood of a claim in an accident. Poorer people tend to drive older cars, and older cars tend to be less safe. I'm beginning to see some uptick in rates for pre-2000 cars because its not only inefficient a lot of time, its actually not safe to drive. You get into a fender bender with a 1995 Civic with a 2014 Honda Civic, the person in the 95 could die while the 14 will walk away with slightly more damage to their car.

Get newer cars if you can.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
One of my friends has a relative with a 2010-ish SUV that basically got t-boned by a massive dumptruck. He ended up with traumatic brain injury but miraculously recovered with no significant long-term issues. Without the side-curtain airbags he almost certainly would have died. (My understanding when the first responders got there, there was a "Holy crap, he's ALIVE!" reaction.)

I was told the manufacturer paid good money to buy the wreckage from the insurance company, as they were surprised that anyone survived that sort of impact and wanted to study it.

It's amazing to think that in ten or 20 years a fatal accident can turn into one people can walk away from.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Jastiger posted:

Id say so. Most insurers won't insure a place with galvanized pipes or old electrical. Get it all done and let the insurancr company know that its all modernized and they should hopefully give you a better rate.

Apparently my house is $33/year less likely to burn down! Got a pro-rated check in the mail for $28. Thanks State Farm! :homebrew:

(And in researching it, seems the rates on 2 of my cars went down, netting me $15.07/month less payments.)

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
My parents have a whole life insurance policy, and my mother was asking me about cashing it out.

Is there ever any reason to stick with it once you're in? Like, is there a point where it becomes worthwhile?

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Nov 15, 2016

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Read the op

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I am looking at buying an AWD hybrid vehicle - a major caveat is that towing the vehicle without a flatbed or a dolly can cause serious damage to the hybrid system, I'm talking over $5k to fix.

Am I correct that this would be covered under "comprehensive" insurance, and would apply even if the towing was due to a claim of illegal parking?

(Awhile back I did confirm that if my car was on a ferry, and the ferry sank and my car ended up at the bottom of Lake Erie, the car would be totaled and covered under comprehensive.)

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Nov 15, 2016

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I would think that would be a collision loss. Comprehensive is very closely defined and unless you can somehow swing illegal towing as vandalism or theft, I don't see any other comp category it would fall under. Collision is that catch all bucket for everything else.

The lake example falls under comp because it's technically a flood, which is a comp loss.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Three-Phase posted:

I am looking at buying an AWD hybrid vehicle - a major caveat is that towing the vehicle without a flatbed or a dolly can cause serious damage to the hybrid system, I'm talking over $5k to fix.

Am I correct that this would be covered under "comprehensive" insurance, and would apply even if the towing was due to a claim of illegal parking?

(Awhile back I did confirm that if my car was on a ferry, and the ferry sank and my car ended up at the bottom of Lake Erie, the car would be totaled and covered under comprehensive.)

Barring some other intervening factor the tow truck causing damage should be treated as comprehensive. Fun fact about sunken cars, the insurance company needs to retrieve it if possible and it's hella expensive. Thanks ice fisherman that driver their trucks out on the lake. :v:

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

LongDarkNight posted:

Barring some other intervening factor the tow truck causing damage should be treated as comprehensive. Fun fact about sunken cars, the insurance company needs to retrieve it if possible and it's hella expensive. Thanks ice fisherman that driver their trucks out on the lake. :v:

If the cost to retrieve exceeds the replacement cost of the vehicle is the insurance company still required to retrieve it even if the insured cashes out? I guess it would make sense since there's probably some law against dumping vehicles in lakes

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Virtue posted:

If the cost to retrieve exceeds the replacement cost of the vehicle is the insurance company still required to retrieve it even if the insured cashes out? I guess it would make sense since there's probably some law against dumping vehicles in lakes

Probably down to state or local law, but they're going to require it to come out. Usually not too bad because vehicles don't tend to get too far into a body of water.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Usually they want to because of liability reasons. Oil seepage is a big deal.

Itd be under comp and any company would rate for that increased towing.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
It's for environmental reasons and since the sunken car will be the property of the insurance company it's their responsibility. Every year a few cars, trucks or snow mobiles end up in the deep part of lake; it's a huge pain in the butt and expensive.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
There was a couple of incidents I've heard of where people drove their vehicles out onto the Lake Erie ice and ended up with their vehicles on the bottom.

I take it that's one of those "Here's your insurance money, now GET OUT" (policy cancellation) incidents?

"Yeah uh it's the car on my policy... the Chavelle. Yeah. Well it was being transported on a boat... Well it went overboard... uh some place called Marianas, near Guam..."

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Nov 17, 2016

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Three-Phase posted:

There was a couple of incidents I've heard of where people drove their vehicles out onto the Lake Erie ice and ended up with their vehicles on the bottom.

I take it that's one of those "Here's your insurance money, now GET OUT" (policy cancellation) incidents?

"Yeah uh it's the car on my policy... the Chavelle. Yeah. Well it was being transported on a boat... Well it went overboard... uh some place called Marianas, near Guam..."

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but it's surprisingly hard to get a policy cancelled midterm like that. Non renewal sure though

prezbuluskey
Jul 23, 2007
A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.

Virtue posted:

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but it's surprisingly hard to get a policy cancelled midterm like that. Non renewal sure though

We would only midterm cancel in cases of hard fraud and I'm in a high fraud location.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

prezbuluskey posted:

We would only midterm cancel in cases of hard fraud and I'm in a high fraud location.

Yup. Policies generally have to be non renewed, not insta cancelled

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
My auto insurance went up again by 20% this cycle for 100/300 liability only on a 1997 Honda Civic. I've been with Farmers for years but they keeping increasing my rates (no claims, no accidents, no citations). I decided to do some shopping around and I'm seeing huge disparities in the quotes policies with equivalent coverage at other companies (6 month rate).

- Farmers: $382 (this my current policy that just went up by 20%)
- State Farm: $354
- Amica: $250
- Geico: $210

Why the huge discrepency in pricing? I'm tempted to go for the cheapest option, but will I be losing anything?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Nohearum posted:

My auto insurance went up again by 20% this cycle for 100/300 liability only on a 1997 Honda Civic. I've been with Farmers for years but they keeping increasing my rates (no claims, no accidents, no citations). I decided to do some shopping around and I'm seeing huge disparities in the quotes policies with equivalent coverage at other companies (6 month rate).

- Farmers: $382 (this my current policy that just went up by 20%)
- State Farm: $354
- Amica: $250
- Geico: $210

Why the huge discrepency in pricing? I'm tempted to go for the cheapest option, but will I be losing anything?

Farmers doesnt to my knowledge have any super nice perks like deductible lowering or forgoveness. Id double check with your agent of course but i dont think youll be sad you switched. Look at liberty mutual too

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i'm paying like $150 a month for auto insurance on my 2016 truck, I don't feel like that is right. Granted it's max deductables etc but that just seems so high it's weird. And I have a crystal clean *knock on wood * driving record.

Sucks it's such a hassle to cancle the policy though. :/

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Empress Brosephine posted:

i'm paying like $150 a month for auto insurance on my 2016 truck, I don't feel like that is right. Granted it's max deductables etc but that just seems so high it's weird. And I have a crystal clean *knock on wood * driving record.

Sucks it's such a hassle to cancle the policy though. :/

With who and what are "max deductibles"? And where?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Geico in New Hapmshire, although i'm moving to Florida in a few weeks so i'm expecting it to go up :suicide:

and sorry I meant Liability not deductable

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Empress Brosephine posted:

Geico in New Hapmshire, although i'm moving to Florida in a few weeks so i'm expecting it to go up :suicide:

and sorry I meant Liability not deductable

Ah. Yeah that is a smidge high unless you have super low deductibles.

Florida is i think top 5 highest in the nation in that so gl with that

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hah well thanks for the help. Sunshine comes with a price! :suicide:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Enjoy the litigious nature of Florida's PIP system by paying through the nose!

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if i'm keeping my residence in new hampshire I could just keep my insurance there and not get raped? or does it have to match the registration etc

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Insurance is based on where you reside. You could in theory leave it in NH but run the real risk of getting a claim denied if you failed to inform of changes as required in your policy.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah dont commit fraud imo

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
Apologies if this has already been asked, I've heard it "definitively" answered various ways both IRL and via googling:

Let's say I rewire my kitchen without permits. There's a fire and it's determined that the cause was something I rewired incorrectly. Will insurance cover this?

How about if I have a very Griswald Christmas and daisy chain 5 extension cords together to power 25,000 lights and the extension cords cause a fire damaging the house?

Thanks so much.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Honestly depends on insurance company. Many would cover it and then cancel you or would give a reduced payout. Some may not pay at all. I think all are justified in not paying out though because if it goes to court, 9 times out of 10, you're losing that one. As far as the electric work one.

For the Griswold daisy chain, that's probably a payout and then a cancellation or at minimum a massive rate hike. You practice unsafe lifestyle so they probably don't want you.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Jastiger posted:

Honestly depends on insurance company. Many would cover it and then cancel you or would give a reduced payout. Some may not pay at all. I think all are justified in not paying out though because if it goes to court, 9 times out of 10, you're losing that one. As far as the electric work one.

For the Griswold daisy chain, that's probably a payout and then a cancellation or at minimum a massive rate hike. You practice unsafe lifestyle so they probably don't want you.

I appreciate the reply. Is the unpermitted work issue something that should be spelled out in the policy, or does it fall under a broader catch-all category like intentional acts creating hazardous conditions?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The latter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Jastiger posted:

The latter

Cheers.