Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The cheapest XPS15 is $2200 here unfortunately, which is way over budget.

Closest I've found so far is customising a E560 on the lenovo site to have an SSD and IPS screen, which comes to $1150. The biggest problem with that is the 2 week ship time, he needs it soon

E: This ASUS laptop is what he is currently looking at. He is an Asus fan and would really prefer to buy an Asus laptop. Only problems I can see with it really are the dedicated graphics he doesn't need, and the lack of an SSD.

BurritoJustice fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Oct 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I'm looking for a new laptop for work. Ideally it would have:

Screen size: 13-14"
A nice keyboard (don't care about backlighting)
Enough processing power for simple Photoshop work
Longevity to last three years
Bonus: when not being used in meetings, the laptop will serve as my primary way of listening to music via headphones. I don't know if some laptops are known for audio quality, but that's something I wanted to mention.

I need to stay below $800.

Could I please get some suggestions?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The stock XPS 13 is $799

I don't think audio quality on the headphone jack is a priority. You can get a raspberry pi and an audiophile quality headphone preamp daughter board for under $50

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

me your dad posted:

Bonus: when not being used in meetings, the laptop will serve as my primary way of listening to music via headphones. I don't know if some laptops are known for audio quality, but that's something I wanted to mention.

You'll want a USB DAC no matter what computer you buy in that case. Should be some recommendations in the headphone thread - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3563521

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Thanks! I'll look into the XPS 13.

Hadlock posted:

The stock XPS 13 is $799

I don't think audio quality on the headphone jack is a priority. You can get a raspberry pi and an audiophile quality headphone preamp daughter board for under $50

Can you elaborate on the Pi setup? Got a link to any resources?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Bob Morales posted:

You'll want a USB DAC no matter what computer you buy in that case.

Only if you're really a serious audiophile. Most modern laptop audio systems, while not super great, are plenty adequate for average people listening, and you'd be better off spending that $200 on a pair of headphones that don't have dumb skulls on them.

Of course, if you already have great headphones and are super serious about your music quality, then yeah, a decent USB DAC is probably an easier solution than carrying around a Pi or somesuch. Though there's still a bit of a question as to whether they actually do enough to justify their price tags, but hey, audio-land has a lot of that poo poo so...

semi-comedy option: Pick up a used/refurb LG V10, which has a pretty damned decent DAC and headphone pre-amp, slap an enormous microSD card it in, and troll around rocking your sweet tunes while you play Pokemon Go! Refurbs are common at $200, and you can snag used ones off eBay for less than that.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Can you stream MP3's to the original PlayStation? :haw:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Bob Morales posted:

Can you stream MP3's to the original PlayStation? :haw:

True audiophiles burn FLACs onto CDs to play on their original Playstation.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I'm not an audio snob or into HIGH PERFORMANCE CABLES but I do own a good set of headphones. I just didn't know if some laptops were known for having better audio.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

BurritoJustice posted:

Can someone help me pick out a laptop for my friend? He is Turkish and just moved to Australia, and I narrowly stopped him from buying some dumpster fire plastic thing with a 940mx and only a hard drive in it. It is only going to be used for university work, no gaming. He won't go smaller than 15". I am looking for something with an SSD and a nice IPS screen. It will spend a lot of it's time plugged in, so battery life is nice but not too pressing. Budget is $1500AUD, with small leeway if it's a big upgrade for a small increase. Any help is super appreciative, I am a hardware guy but I don't deal with laptops much (I got an XPS13 for myself and a UX305 for my sister, but they are both 13" which my friend won't consider).

Only schoolwork, no gaming? 15" display & an SSD? Try an Acer Chromebook 15. It checks all your boxes, is well within your budget, and that Asus you linked is way overkill for his needs. Plus, "Acer" looks like "Asus" if you squint! :haw:

You just have to find one of the models with 4 GB of RAM and a FHD display. The base Celeron 3205U is fine. It may be difficult to find all the models in Australia, but here are the models you have to work with:

http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/models/laptops/acerchromebook15

me your dad posted:

I'm not an audio snob or into HIGH PERFORMANCE CABLES but I do own a good set of headphones. I just didn't know if some laptops were known for having better audio.

Most onboard audio (desktop or laptop) is adequate for 99% of users nowadays, but audiophiles still prefer better equipment. At the very least buy your laptop (a Thinkpad T-series maybe) and try it out; you may find that it's just fine for your needs.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Thoughts on the Gigabyte p35x v6? 1070 in a 15 inch at less than an inch thick... hits 90 degrees while gaming and throttles but never to below 1070 advertised clocks. The CPU hits 100 degrees according to a user review I read on bit tech and never boosts past 3 ish ghz (so thermal throttling).

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=310222

Edit: When you look at the cooling it seems a bit wimpy compared to, say, the MSI GS63VR and that has the 1060 in it. But then again I don't know if more heatpipes necessarily = better.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Oct 8, 2016

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Is there any other thin(< 1") and light(< 5lbs) laptops with 1070? There's gigabyte p35x. Asus gl502vs. Anything else?

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

lostleaf posted:

Is there any other thin(< 1") and light(< 5lbs) laptops with 1070? There's gigabyte p35x. Asus gl502vs. Anything else?

The vs is not less than an inch (1.18in). It's the vm, which is the 1060 model, that is less than an inch (0.92in). Not sure if any other 15 inchers that have 1070s are less than an inch, but IIRC there are a few 17 inchers (like the stealth series 17 incher from MSI).

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

The vs is not less than an inch (1.18in). It's the vm, which is the 1060 model, that is less than an inch (0.92in). Not sure if any other 15 inchers that have 1070s are less than an inch, but IIRC there are a few 17 inchers (like the stealth series 17 incher from MSI).

The Aorus x5 v6 is under an inch.

It's basically the same computer, but you get gsync instead of optimus, a higher resolution screen but slightly lower nits, and a RGB keyboard instead of plain white backlights.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

me your dad posted:

Thanks! I'll look into the XPS 13.

Can you elaborate on the Pi setup? Got a link to any resources?

Just Google "raspberry pi headphone amp" and at least three companies are selling kits. Pis use a "HAT" format daughter board; it just snaps on top sort of like a flimsy Lego. Then you install software/driver and plug in your headphones. Like $30-40 for the pi, $10 for a case, and $20-40 for the daughterboard.

The Nexus S smartphone famously has a really good headphone audio jack too. I'm sure there's others as well.

Tern
Oct 18, 2012

me your dad posted:

I'm looking for a new laptop for work. Ideally it would have:
[things]
Could I please get some suggestions?

ThinkPad T460? Grab it with the corp. perks discount and 800 will leave you some headroom for upgrades/warranty extension/whatever else.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

The Aorus x5 v6 is under an inch.

It's basically the same computer, but you get gsync instead of optimus, a higher resolution screen but slightly lower nits, and a RGB keyboard instead of plain white backlights.

Thanks I totally forgot this one was under an inch (if only barely). Now I'm intrigued by it, but looking at various CS complaints on the net, Aorus seems to have caught a little Razer-itis.

Basically depending on whether or not I get a bonus, I'm looking at replacing my dying Surface Pro 2 as my main work computer which I leave in the office but sometimes have to take around with me. It's either a super thin n light like the XPS13/15 or a heavier, thicker, bigger thing with a GTX 1060 / 70 to get some (haha more like a lot of) gaming ability.

Been eying the P35x v6 but that 100c CPU temp is just nuts and I'm not going there. Something will cook at one month past the warranty end. Wish there were some decent reviews on the Aorus, especially user reviews. Being a bit thicker, it'll probably cool better than the P35x v6 but how much is not having optimus going to hurt battery life?

As far as 1060 lappies go,

The MSI GS43vr has heat problems, too, and the heatpipes run over the wifi chip which seems like a great way to kill it.
The MSI GS63vr is cooler, but again the GPU heatpipe runs over a passively cooled PCH chip to the point where they're almost touching and that, also, seems like a terrible idea to me.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Thanks I totally forgot this one was under an inch (if only barely). Now I'm intrigued by it, but looking at various CS complaints on the net, Aorus seems to have caught a little Razer-itis.

Basically depending on whether or not I get a bonus, I'm looking at replacing my dying Surface Pro 2 as my main work computer which I leave in the office but sometimes have to take around with me. It's either a super thin n light like the XPS13/15 or a heavier, thicker, bigger thing with a GTX 1060 / 70 to get some (haha more like a lot of) gaming ability.

Been eying the P35x v6 but that 100c CPU temp is just nuts and I'm not going there. Something will cook at one month past the warranty end. Wish there were some decent reviews on the Aorus, especially user reviews. Being a bit thicker, it'll probably cool better than the P35x v6 but how much is not having optimus going to hurt battery life?

As far as 1060 lappies go,

The MSI GS43vr has heat problems, too, and the heatpipes run over the wifi chip which seems like a great way to kill it.
The MSI GS63vr is cooler, but again the GPU heatpipe runs over a passively cooled PCH chip to the point where they're almost touching and that, also, seems like a terrible idea to me.

Well, I ought to have the Aorus within the next ten days or so, so I'll give a review of it for the thread then.

Battery life is around 3 hours to the P35x's 4 and a half or so iirc. Heating is an issue with both models, but I believe the Aorus is a bit (~5 degrees) cooler at max load. It'll stave off thermal junctioning a bit longer if nothing else.

Getting a 1070 laptop with a smaller form factor seems to come with lots of compromises. As remarkable as the performance is, and it is remarkable, Nvidia has a bit to do with TDP for next gen.

Not to say that what they've done with the thermals this gen isn't incredible, mind you.

What I'll most likely do is underclock or, if possible, undervolt the 1070 a bit. A small decrease won't hurt performance too much, and it'll take the thermals a bit away from the proverbial edge.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

Well, I ought to have the Aorus within the next ten days or so, so I'll give a review of it for the thread then.

Battery life is around 3 hours to the P35x's 4 and a half or so iirc. Heating is an issue with both models, but I believe the Aorus is a bit (~5 degrees) cooler at max load. It'll stave off thermal junctioning a bit longer if nothing else.

Getting a 1070 laptop with a smaller form factor seems to come with lots of compromises. As remarkable as the performance is, and it is remarkable, Nvidia has a bit to do with TDP for next gen.

Not to say that what they've done with the thermals this gen isn't incredible, mind you.

What I'll most likely do is underclock or, if possible, undervolt the 1070 a bit. A small decrease won't hurt performance too much, and it'll take the thermals a bit away from the proverbial edge.

Thank you, I would find your review extremely helpful. I try to go by user reviews than tech site reviews typically.

Yeah, there is no denying that Pascal is a really big leap for laptop gaming. The compromises are still there, but they are far fewer than ever before. To think that you can get a 1070 into a 15 inch laptop and, yeah, maybe it throttles a bit, but you're still getting sort of top 10% gaming capability... it's insanity. If I get the Aorus, it'll be more powerful than my desktop!

One thing to do is to undervolt the skylake CPU. There is a lot of headroom there (footroom?) and it really helps thermals. I think you use Intel XTU to do that.

Edit: Another thing you can do is set a frame limiter so that your card doesn't need to boost all the way up if the game is not so graphically demanding.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Oct 9, 2016

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Are there any 1060 or 1070 laptops that don't have issues dealing with heat at this point? Most reviews I've read seem to indicate the fan noise gets quite loud after an hour or so.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Not really sure if there is a thread for 2 in 1 laptops/convertibles, whatever you want to classify them so I'll ask here. Anyone preorder the Yoga Book? The ability to physically write really appeals. I'm worried about running Windows 10 on an atom processor though. Is the android version (with nougat I think) maybe the one to go for web surfing, streaming, taking notes in class and writing an occasional paper?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Lenovo is a pretty poo poo company IMO. I wouldn't buy anything from them unless it was a Thinkpad T/X. They ruined Motorola and their various Ideapads and whatever have cheap build quality.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

The idea of typing an essay on that capacitive keyboard is just nuts.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Clevo has a 15" with a 1060 less than 1" thick, and a 1070 around 1.2" thick. I'm waffling between that and an Alienware (of all things). Clevo historically does well with thermals, though my 4-year-old is overheating because Intel was using poorer quality thermal paste a few years ago.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The 1050 (Ti) looks really exciting, way smaller power draw than the 1060 according to the leaks

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Ynglaur posted:

Clevo has a 15" with a 1060 less than 1" thick, and a 1070 around 1.2" thick. I'm waffling between that and an Alienware (of all things). Clevo historically does well with thermals, though my 4-year-old is overheating because Intel was using poorer quality thermal paste a few years ago.
I don't know how Alienware were when they were expensive custom things, but I had a Dell Alienware laptop a few years ago and it was loving awful with the thermal control. Maybe they've got better, but I doubt it. As far as I can tell Dell has never shown any interest in improving their airflow considerations.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Yet another "what Chromebook do I want?" questions!

I'm finally coming back into the bosom of Google, and now that the last bit of software I absolutely had to have has a web app, I can utilize a Chromebook for 100% of my purposes. I'm not looking for the cheapest one, however. I would like the following out of it:

1080p or higher IPS display
Good build quality
Good keyboard + trackpad.
Doesn't need to have the fastest processor, but I don't want an atom-based one
Battery life isn't particularly important
13" display is the sweet spot for me, but I could be willing to go a little smaller or higher

Any suggestions?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Dell 13" Chromebook has all of that and it has insane battery life as well. Get the one that's around $450. The higher priced ones aren't really worth it.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

roomforthetuna posted:

I don't know how Alienware were when they were expensive custom things, but I had a Dell Alienware laptop a few years ago and it was loving awful with the thermal control. Maybe they've got better, but I doubt it. As far as I can tell Dell has never shown any interest in improving their airflow considerations.

There's an interesting self-review by alienware's staff on YouTube and they spend a lot of time discussing the airflow on the new models, so perhaps this has changed.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

pointsofdata posted:

The 1050 (Ti) looks really exciting, way smaller power draw than the 1060 according to the leaks

That's the one thing that keeps me from just splurging on a 1060/60 laptop at the end of the month. A 1050ti is beter than a 960 which is pretty drat decent for 1080p gaming (I should know, I use a HD7970 in my desktop which is on par with a 960).

But the 75w max draw should bode well for thin and light notebooks, and I want a notebook with some gaming capability, not massive gaming capability. Just like playing some Battlefield 1 on it for 40 minutes, that kind of gaming, not 4 hour VR sessions.

But it seems like it's going to be a while before we see any lappies with the 1050ti in it. The XPS15 refresh won't come until at lest January 2017 and that would be an ideal get.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

The Dell 13" Chromebook has all of that and it has insane battery life as well. Get the one that's around $450. The higher priced ones aren't really worth it.

How does it compare to the $500 HP Chromebook?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-chromebook/

According to them the HP is great but they give a bunch of pros and cons for both laptops.

Also if you want the HP they say you need to upgrade to the $600 model because the default processor sucks.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 10, 2016

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

IuniusBrutus posted:

Yet another "what Chromebook do I want?" questions!

I'm finally coming back into the bosom of Google, and now that the last bit of software I absolutely had to have has a web app, I can utilize a Chromebook for 100% of my purposes. I'm not looking for the cheapest one, however. I would like the following out of it:

1080p or higher IPS display
Good build quality
Good keyboard + trackpad.
Doesn't need to have the fastest processor, but I don't want an atom-based one
Battery life isn't particularly important
13" display is the sweet spot for me, but I could be willing to go a little smaller or higher

Any suggestions?

IuniusBrutus posted:

How does it compare to the $500 HP Chromebook?

I'll second that the Dell CB 13 is a solid choice all-around; get one with the touchscreen, and the base Celeron is fine. Any more you want to upgrade is fine, you won't regret it. The HP CB 13 is nice, but doesn't give me the impression that it's as durable as the Dell or even some of the other CBs. It's not flimsy, but the thinness gives me that feeling, I guess, however irrationally. The display is very nice, and the trackpad is OK but not as good as the one on the Dell or the Pixel. No touchscreen on the HP, and the Core M CPUs are fine but do cause it to heat up towards the hinge (both on the top and bottom.)

The HP CB 13 would be my recommendation if this will generally be used around the house, while the Dell, Lenovo Thinkpad CB 13, or Acer CB 4 Work 14 would be better options for a more durable device that you'd lug around everywhere. All four of those options meet all your criteria.

The Toshiba CB 2 2015 is a favorite, but is discontinued and is hard to find so I can't recommend it as much anymore. The Acer CB 15 is also a good option if you could make use of the larger display (and it's surprisingly solidly built with good performance.)

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Been considering to buy a new laptop and wanted something that could be used to gaming as well, though not the most intensive games. There are some offers on ASUS RoG GL552VW right now, and most reviews seems positive, except that the screen is using TN panel. Is this a real issue, or is it okay as long as one does not fidget too much with it? Though I can get with IPS if I pay about 150$ more.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Would it be reasonable to expect a price drop on current i7 6xxx laptops once the 7xxx series comes out? I've been browsing 17" laptops with GTX 1060 cards (the 6gb kind), and the lowest I've seen them is $1300 which is more than I'm willing to pay for a portable fun box. $1000 would be closer to what I would be comfortable with.

e. I may as well ask another question. Browsing around looking at laptops I can't afford, I noticed that some companies, like Dell and "Eluktronics" (anyone familiar with them?), will let you customize the parts that go in the machines: the ram, HDD/SSD, graphics, screen size, OS, etc. Should I be wary of using a service like this? Is it bad to order directly from the company instead of through a retailer like newegg or amazon?

Actuarial Fables fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 10, 2016

texasmed
May 27, 2004
Just wanted to follow up on my last couple of posts and say that I successfully canceled my T460s order on the 15% student discount and was able to use
https://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/perksoffer/StdAffinityPortal/en_US/Lenovo:EnterStdAffinity?affinity=perksoffer
code: PERKS*WORK

Saved me 250 dollars which I used some to buy the expedited shipping and fingerprint reader. Sick. Deal lasts until the 13th IIRC.

edit: this code comes off as common knowledge on a lot of laptop circles but I barely figured it all out in time so I wanted to spell it out for somebody else.

texasmed fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Oct 11, 2016

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
My wife got a Surface 3 at the start of the year and is thinking about trading it in, citing bad battery life (especially with regard to charging) and only having one USB port as primary annoyances with her Surface, and she just finds it unreliable in general (freaks out when needing to update, keyboard isn't 100% reliable etc.) She really wanted it but feels let down.

She likes the size of the Surface and how easy it is to carry around, so I'm hoping to help her find a small, reliable and easily-transported laptop with at least 2 USB ports. In addition to your standard Office + Internet use she has a few different research programs she uses on her Surface (protein binding site modeling), so it also needs a little horsepower (but not a graphics card or anything). No budget yet, just poking around for now. I'm guessing I should look at something from Lenovo?

E: I initially thought that she never used it as a tablet but apparently she has a little bit, don't know if the lack of tablet/touch functionality would be a dealbreaker.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Oct 11, 2016

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Actuarial Fables posted:

Would it be reasonable to expect a price drop on current i7 6xxx laptops once the 7xxx series comes out? I've been browsing 17" laptops with GTX 1060 cards (the 6gb kind), and the lowest I've seen them is $1300 which is more than I'm willing to pay for a portable fun box. $1000 would be closer to what I would be comfortable with.

nvidia seems to be gating the 1040/1050/1060 cards

If the 1040 is going to replace the 940m, then I haven't seen it come out yet, anything pascal-based ought to be Sony Playstation VR capable, at least in theory, barring thermal issues (there will be thermal issues). The 1050 is supposed to come out Oct 18th (rumor?) so the 1040 would come out in November or maybe December? Supposedly it would be the GP107 chip if you want to google that

Either way, cheaper, lower end mobile GPUs are on their way, and if you don't need VR then they probably are totally acceptable for 1080p gaming. But manufacturers can't announce new 1040/1050 GPU model laptops until nvidia formally announces the product. I would wait another week and a half and see what pops up

The 1050 is supposed to be roughly on par with the desktop 960. If Dell puts the 1040 or 1050 in the XPS 15 I will be a very happy camper. Dell updated their XPS 13 (Which isn't avalible with a GPU) a couple of days ago with kaby trail, but hasn't announced their sister laptop the XPS 15 (which has a GPU option) yet hmm wonder why.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Oct 11, 2016

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

texasmed posted:

Just wanted to follow up on my last couple of posts and say that I successfully canceled my T460s order on the 15% student discount and was able to use
https://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/perksoffer/StdAffinityPortal/en_US/Lenovo:EnterStdAffinity?affinity=perksoffer
code: PERKS*WORK

Saved me 250 dollars which I used some to buy the expedited shipping and fingerprint reader. Sick. Deal lasts until the 13th IIRC.

edit: this code comes off as common knowledge on a lot of laptop circles but I barely figured it all out in time so I wanted to spell it out for somebody else.

This seems decidedly US only. Any idea if there's something similar for Europe/Sweden? It's a very sexy discount

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blueblueblue
Mar 18, 2009
I just bought a Lenovo laptop with a 950m, it seems to be making a strange grinding noise. It isn't the fans, it is coming from the GPU area and sounds like an old school hard drive chugging away. This laptop only has an SSD. Moving the mouse or scrolling a browser makes it louder, sitting at a blank desktop the sound goes away. Temperatures seem fine and performance is good. Is this something worth returning the laptop or just normal sound?