Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Perestroika posted:

so for the best experience make sure to set some time aside and shut out possible distractions

PROTIP - Do this for all movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

fishtobaskets posted:

The VVitch is on Amazon Prime. In my opinion, it's an instant classic and probably the scariest movie I've seen outside of The Shining and Ju-on. The dread begins building mercilessly from the 2nd scene and never lets up. It's beautifully shot and acted from a superb script.

Alright, that's gonna see some time on the TV this weekend. I missed it in theaters and regretted it.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

fishtobaskets posted:

The VVitch is on Amazon Prime. In my opinion, it's an instant classic and probably the scariest movie I've seen outside of The Shining and Ju-on. The dread begins building mercilessly from the 2nd scene and never lets up. It's beautifully shot and acted from a superb script.
I was just seriously disappointed when Dorothy's house fell down on her and crushed her except for legs and her sister got all pissy. They really could've handled that part a lot better.

Yes. I'm bored shitless on a Friday. Don't hate.

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

Filthy Hans posted:

If you're a fan of so-bad-it's-good movies then your double attraction this month is Snake Eyes and Sphere

I watch both of these movies all the time... always expecting them to be better then the last time I watched them... and they never are.

I'm incredibly stupid.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

fishtobaskets posted:

I'll never stop calling it the Vuhvitch.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Any good spooky movie recommendations on Netflix? Past ones I've enjoyed:

House Bound
Hush
Kristy
Babadook
It Follows

Last Shift was suggested to me, but I wasn't into it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Definitely check out Creep.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

Definitely check out Creep.

Saw that too. I will watch anything from the Duplass brothers.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Any word on how many episodes Black Mirror S3 will be?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

veni veni veni posted:

Any word on how many episodes Black Mirror S3 will be?

Six is what I read.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

nate fisher posted:

Six is what I read.

Plus Netflix already ordered another six episodes for next year :neckbeard:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Quiz Show is on Netflix now. It's a true modern classic, extremely entertaining and based on a true story. I'd even say it's the best film Redford has directed.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

precision posted:

Quiz Show is on Netflix now. It's a true modern classic, extremely entertaining and based on a true story. I'd even say it's the best film Redford has directed.

Yeah Quiz Show is outstanding.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

"I'm Jack Barry. I'm.....Jack Barry."

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
What's good on Netflix in terms of explicitly supernatural horror? I like creature features, cosmic / ancient evil, or someone's psychological scars represented as a literal monster better than ghosts or Christian-flavored demons.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

What's good on Netflix in terms of explicitly supernatural horror? I like creature features, cosmic / ancient evil, or someone's psychological scars represented as a literal monster better than ghosts or Christian-flavored demons.

Is The Babadook still streaming? If so, watch that.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Just watched Under the Shadow and thought it was a pretty rad supernatural horror. It's still in theaters/streaming rental but I guess they have a contract with Netflix so it should be available fairly soon.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

veni veni veni posted:

Just watched Under the Shadow and thought it was a pretty rad supernatural horror. It's still in theaters/streaming rental but I guess they have a contract with Netflix so it should be available fairly soon.

Yeah, I heard this was great and I'm really looking forward to seeing it.

Also, my Babadook books should be coming soon, I'm pretty excited even if I can't in good conscience tuck one away in my sister's house at six-year-old eye level.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Sarchasm posted:

Is The Babadook still streaming? If so, watch that.

Saw it right when it came out, I'm afraid.

veni veni veni posted:

Never even heard of Under the Shadow, though, so thanks!

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
They Look Like People is excellent but solidly psychological. Legend of Hell House is an okay schlocky haunted house story. And there's always the first two Hellraisers, but those are more overwrought and gory than you might be into.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

veni veni veni posted:

I watched the trailer. Is it me, or is it pretty much every mom+kid vs. supernatural boogeyman movie ever? Babadook Goes to Iran?

I'm not saying it'll be bad. Oh hell yes I'll watch it... but. poo poo. When will they put a ban on jump scares.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Eh. To some extent it is but it's more than that. It's also got kind of a war time drama aspect. Also the jump scares are very few and far between and generally well earned.

It's not mind blowing or anything but it's a decent flick worth watching.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

MeatwadIsGod posted:

They Look Like People is excellent

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Yeah, of the recent smaller horror pictures I've seen, that's been my favorite.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah it was good.

I honestly love the surge of indie horror stuff coming out. Horror is a guilty pleasure for me and although most of them aren't great they are usually preferable to the PG-13 Hollywood offerings. Of course I'll watch most of those too because I'm terrible.

Currently I'm kind of feeling like indie horror and original programming is just about the only thing warranting my Netflix membership.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah it was good.

I honestly love the surge of indie horror stuff coming out. Horror is a guilty pleasure for me and although most of them aren't great they are usually preferable to the PG-13 Hollywood offerings. Of course I'll watch most of those too because I'm terrible.

Currently I'm kind of feeling like indie horror and original programming is just about the only thing warranting my Netflix membership.

I've been watching Drunk History on Hulu

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

veni veni veni posted:

I'm bummed that Netflix's classic horror movie offerings seem to have fallen away. I can still remember watching poo poo like Eyes Without a Face on there years ago.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That one was probably Criterion which all went to Hulu.

Maggot Soup
Aug 18, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah it was good.

I finally cancelled my Netflix and signed up for Shudder for this exact reason. Its plays through Amazon Prime via a subscription too. I miss out on the Netflix Originals, but its a win for me.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The town that dreaded sundown is a good one

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Short Penguin posted:

The town that dreaded sundown is a good one

This doesn't meet any of their request in any capacity, other than it's a horror movie. And it's not really an exploration of psychological scars, at best it's a look at mass hysteria in small towns.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Franchescanado posted:

This doesn't meet any of their request in any capacity, other than it's a horror movie. And it's not really an exploration of psychological scars, at best it's a look at mass hysteria in small towns.

Alright then.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I will echo They Look Like People, the original Hellraiser, and add Wes Craven's New Nightmare, The Awakening, and echo Legend of Hell House. The Awakening is a ghost story, but it's more psychological, and Hell House is a weird struggle between academia and "psychics" during an actual paranormal situation. It's 70's as gently caress and great.

You may also want to watch Nightmares in Red, White and Blue, which explores how popular horror movies reflect actual cultural fears of the time, for example how giant monster movies were born from fears of nuclear war, etc. If anything, it will give you quite a few good movies to look into.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea if you've never seen Hellraiser, then nobody will come up with a better answer. It fits every single one of the criteria in your request perfectly.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Phantasm? I think its only on youtube though.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I don't really feel that Phantasm has aged as well as Hellraiser. Some of the early Hellraiser sequels were absolutely ludicrous, but honestly if you get into the mythology, it's worth watching all - how many is it now? Seven? Eight? A couple of the newest ones were pretty good iirc, and HellRaiser In Spaaaaaaace was rad because of how far back it delves into the history of the puzzle box and its origins.

Most of what I recall about Phantasm is that big tall dude chasing a little kid around while looming menacingly.. I guess it plays better to kids because Tall Man is basically what Slenderman seems to have come from. I mean the bit with the gom jabber was kinda original at the time but it's still derivative as hell.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've heard plenty of different descriptions of Phantasm, but drat, derivative is definitely not one of them. That movie is too whacked out for most people, its like the opposite of derivative.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Basebf555 posted:

I've heard plenty of different descriptions of Phantasm, but drat, derivative is definitely not one of them. That movie is too whacked out for most people, its like the opposite of derivative.
You're going to claim that the box the kid puts his hand into, AND the lesson he learns from it, are not entirely stolen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

coyo7e posted:

You're going to claim that the box the kid puts his hand into, AND the lesson he learns from it, are not entirely stolen?

That's one small moment, and the movie is specifically making a reference there. I wouldn't exactly call it stealing. Aside from that the entire premise and plot is extremely original.